PDA

View Full Version : Rogers set to buying Skydome

Resolute 14
10-15-2004, 07:53 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...BNStory/Sports/ (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041014.wrogers14/BNStory/Sports/)

One of the greatest problems the Jays face is that ridicululous lease Interbrew saddled them with. If Rogers can get control of the building, a lot of financial losses would evaporate.

As for renaming the Skydome, about time. I'll still call it the Skydome until the day it is torn down, but the Jays need that revenue.

browna
10-15-2004, 08:05 AM
IMO, a bad business move. But what else would you expect from Rogers?

Sure, the original lease was bad, but that's when it was the hottest stadium going, and filled most nights. Rogers say they've been at this Stadium for 4 years trying to get it.

It needs renos, a major tenant maybe moving out in the Argos, and the Jays are sucking for attendance. Only if the pipe dream of an NFL team comes to fruition, does buying this stadium now make any sense. But, that's Rogers.

Buying it really shouldn't affect the financial losses of the Jays. It just shifts the losses on paper for Rogers, that's about it. If it doesn't fill up more, the Argos leave, and they don't attract any more events, I can't see it making any more money for whoever owns it.

Rogers buying the Jays was supposed to give it the finances it needed to progress in MLB...the Jays have done anything since, since 2000. Mismanagement and decisions made to satisfy Ted Rogers ego are behind most of these high profile moves....but as mentioned, this is one company that jumps all over the place and never really has a strong plan of action whatever it does.

Resolute 14
10-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Actually, it will change things for the Jays. The Jays get almost no parking revenue, and a very, very small percentage of concessions. They also pay far too much money on the lease.

Rogers controlling both the team and the ballpark will help things overall.

flambers
10-15-2004, 12:17 PM
I think its a good move. Just as the previous post, mentioned. With ownership (not happened yet) of the Skydome the Jays now will get Parking, Concession revenues etc. Not to mention they are free use the Dome for other events.

Or they could pursue an NFL team (only my opinion).

Resolute 14
10-15-2004, 01:53 PM
I believe the NFL has stated that Skydome is not suitable as an NFL stadium. Specifically, I believe it is too small.

Sylvanfan
10-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Why would the NFL bother with a market like Toronto when Los Angleles doesn't even have a team? The Skydome was basically the last of the cookie cutter 70's style stadiums that people now hate. The SkyDome does have a good location, and some ammenities to help generate revenue that the ill fated stadiums didn't. It does require extensive renovations from an asthetics standpoint to make it more palatable for baseball. Still unless the Blue Jays can become a consistant winning organization again people won't attend ball games in Toronto. Being in a division with the Red Sox, and Yankees makes that a very challenging task for the Jays.

Gugstanley
10-15-2004, 05:58 PM
The Jays will have a hard time attracting quality free agents with that aweful astro turf

Resolute 14
10-15-2004, 06:05 PM
They never have before.

Sylvanfan
10-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Speaking of the Jays and Free Agents where does everyone think Delgado will end up? I think he'll stay in the AL but I have no idea where he'll go. Maybe to the Yankees if they can't win the Series :P

Gugstanley
10-16-2004, 12:50 PM
I think Delgado goes to LA or stays in Toronto taking less money.

The Goon
10-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Sylvanfan makes good points regarding SkyDome being the last of that whole "dome" craze, and the (im)possibility of the NFL going to Toronto. How much capital investment did it take to launch the Houston Texans? I recall it being a ridiculous sum of money. Where would that cash come from in Toronto?

When SkyDome was first built, I was that teenaged jackass who always went around correcting people, "It's not 'The Skydome', it's SkyDome. No 'the', capital S, capital D, one word." I apologize now for being such a stickler.

Resolute 14
10-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Baltimore is a popular rumor for where Delgado could end up.

Sylvanfan
10-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Oct 16 2004, 11:53 PM
Baltimore is a popular rumor for where Delgado could end up.
I thought about that one myself. Is Palmeiro still under contract for next year? If so I guess they could use him as a DH.