PDA

View Full Version : Official Alex Rios Trade Rumour Thread

Prototype
12-19-2006, 03:19 PM
So, where is he going, and what pitching are they getting. With all the aquisitions the Jays have done lately, I can see why Rios is the odd man out, but I would have loved to have seen him stay a Jay. No matter who they get, this could bite the Jays in the ass when it's all said and done.

So, what rumours have you heard?

kipperfan
12-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Well from browsing Blue Jay Way the last few days the popluar rumours that seem to be floating around are:

Rios to NY Mets for Milledge and Heilman

Rios + Prospect to LA for Penny

Rios + Prospect to Oakland for Blanton or Harden

Frankly I dont like any of them except for the Blanton one and apparently thpse talks are going nowhere.

I wish we could wrangle Dontrelle Willis out of Florida.

Jiggy_12
12-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Well from browsing Blue Jay Way the last few days the popluar rumours that seem to be floating around are:

Rios to NY Mets for Milledge and Heilman

Rios + Prospect to LA for Penny

Rios + Prospect to Oakland for Blanton or Harden

Frankly I dont like any of them except for the Blanton one and apparently thpse talks are going nowhere.

I wish we could wrangle Dontrelle Willis out of Florida.

Wow..those are all in our favour. I would do any of the 3.

kipperfan
12-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Wow..those are all in our favour. I would do any of the 3.

Really?

Hmm I wouldnt...Rios is just to damn good.

I would do the Harden or Blanton deal, but that one seems to have the least legs of any of the rumours.

As for the NY rumour, there has been some talk of getting Pelfry instead of Heilman, and if that was offered to JP I would say take the deal. Heilman has started something like 14 games in the last four years, he would be an upgrade on exactly noboby. But Pelfrey is bound to be an ace, he is very young, and should be able to step into the #4 spot in the roatation this season. Not to mention Milltedge is one of the mot highly touted prospects in the league and might only be 1-2 years removed from being what Rios is now.

As for Rios for Penny....no thanks.

Pagal4321
12-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Rios + prospect for PEnny I wouldn't touch....

But the other two are great....especially the NY deal, I'd do it in a second.

kipperfan
12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Rios + prospect for PEnny I wouldn't touch....

But the other two are great....especially the NY deal, I'd do it in a second.

The deal with Heilman?

If so why?

We get a younger OF back, but one not nearly as good as Rios is currently and one that arguably doesnt even have the potential Rios does. And we also get a 30 year old Heilman who hasnt been a starter in the last 4 years.

How does that help us at all?

Jiggy_12
12-19-2006, 07:17 PM
The deal with Heilman?

If so why?

We get a younger OF back, but one not nearly as good as Rios is currently and one that arguably doesnt even have the potential Rios does. And we also get a 30 year old Heilman who hasnt been a starter in the last 4 years.

How does that help us at all?

We get an extra arm, capable of starting or relief. and a prospect that could develop into a big time player. All while keeping the salary low.

kipperfan
12-19-2006, 07:25 PM
We get an extra arm, capable of starting or relief. and a prospect that could develop into a big time player. All while keeping the salary low.

True, but we need a 3-4 starter at least if we are going to deal Rios IMO.

If I am JP and he wants Milltedge, I woukd make a big pitch for Pelfrey as opposed to Heilman, throw in a Marcum or a McGowan to get it done, at least that way we would get two blue chip prospects who can both start this season in exchange for Rios, who will be a perenial all star IMO.

Pagal4321
12-19-2006, 10:37 PM
IMHO Milledge is a blue chip prospect and will be better then Rios in a few years. And like Jiggy said an extra arm is never a bad thing. I'm not informed on most prospects, but the highly touted ones like Milledge I know. Pelfrey I am completely clueless about....but regardless a Rios for Milledge plus utility arm is good in my books.

Gugstanley
12-21-2006, 08:12 AM
The only deal I like is the one with Oakland. I still think the Jays should keep Rios. See how the free agent market plays out. Nobody has signed for a while they still might be able to get someone at the right price and contract length.

flambers
12-21-2006, 08:17 AM
The only deal I like is the one with Oakland. I still think the Jays should keep Rios. See how the free agent market plays out. Nobody has signed for a while they still might be able to get someone at the right price and contract length.

I am sure the Jays would love to sign a player but the problem is the Jays are looking for a #3 Starter. The quotes I have read has the Jays stating they are not interesting in the remaining free agents (pitchers).

I believe the Jays will make a trade, I would bet it will have Rios and McGowan possibly another prospect for a #3 Pitcher.

This might take awhile but I bet it happens before Spring Training.

Auld35
12-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Rios is injury prone :(

CaramonLS
12-24-2006, 10:10 AM
True, but we need a 3-4 starter at least if we are going to deal Rios IMO.

If I am JP and he wants Milltedge, I woukd make a big pitch for Pelfrey as opposed to Heilman, throw in a Marcum or a McGowan to get it done, at least that way we would get two blue chip prospects who can both start this season in exchange for Rios, who will be a perenial all star IMO.

It has been reported by a couple sources that Milledge/Heilman was offered to JP, but he wanted Pelfrey in addition to it.

I think Pelfrey is pretty much untouchable as far as prospects go for the mets.