PDA

View Full Version : Cortez stamps new OC

Go_Flames_3
12-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Great news for the stamps, just announced on the fan 960 the stamps have hired cortez as their new Offensive coordinator

calgaryrocks
12-06-2006, 04:39 PM
thats great, hopefully he improves our offence, should be interesting to see what he changes for the stamps

JohnnyFlame
12-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Wow I really didn't think they could land him. Was always looking around for secondary options and lo and behold they land the best guy.

worth
12-07-2006, 10:00 AM
This is the best news the Stamps could have hoped for. I guess it's the best news as a fan also. And with Bo back...can't wait for the season to start. Only 7 more months.

Thunderball
12-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Nice! Excellent signing. Funny how it sort of slipped under the radar though.... you'd think this would have been heralded by local media.

worth
12-07-2006, 10:38 AM
There's a column in the herald today. they didn't have a press conference for it yesterday though. they just sent out a press release. cortez is in iowa right now, and the speculation was that with austin being hired in sask, they couldn't keep it quiet with cortez. radio was talkinga bout it a bit. cortez was on qr77 last night and seemed excited. said he and his wife really like calgary and most importantly, he said he can win a grey cup with henry burris.

said he has a picture of himself and three guys. 2 of them are grey cup MVP's (Garcia, Dickenson) and wants the third to be a grey cup MVP also.

rubecube
12-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Now if we could only get a quaterback...

STAMPEDRED
12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Now if we could only get a quaterback...

:rolleyes: ... who needs a quaterback?

I think Cortez will be good for Burris. If Cortez states that he can win a grey cup with him, then obviously he has seen what Barrett saw his weaknesses to be in Sask this season and should hopefully be able to groom Burris into a more relaxed QB.

What ever happened to the O.C. we had in the nineties... John Hufnagel (sp?) I believe?

I remember the media on QR always raving about this guy and how he was head coach material... is he a head coach in another league or is QR just that bad in their assessment of head coach material!!:D

Bench Warmer
12-12-2006, 06:52 AM
:rolleyes: ... who needs a quaterback?

I think Cortez will be good for Burris. If Cortez states that he can win a grey cup with him, then obviously he has seen what Barrett saw his weaknesses to be in Sask this season and should hopefully be able to groom Burris into a more relaxed QB.

What ever happened to the O.C. we had in the nineties... John Hufnagel (sp?) I believe?

I remember the media on QR always raving about this guy and how he was head coach material... is he a head coach in another league or is QR just that bad in their assessment of head coach material!!:D

Cortez didn't do much to help Joseph relax last year in Saskatchewan...granted, he was the o-line coach. That said, I was really hoping the Riders would give Cortez the HC position. Interesting scenario in Calgary now where you have two associate coaches who are prime HC material. Not a bad problem to have at all - although I would suspect one will leave when the other takes over for Higgins (I heard that's been promised to Creehan at some point?).

As for helping Burris, I think Cortez needs to implement an offense where potential mistakes are minized. Although sometimes with Burris' decisions, I'm not sure that's always possible. It's a fine line though - when does an offense become to simple and easy to defend against? As for Barrett, I think it's underestimated how much he helped Burris. Burris' two best years in the CFL were under Barrett's watch - his first year as a starter in 2001 (then he bolted to the NFL for 2 years) and then 2004 when the Riders should've been in the GC (Burris bolted for Calgary next year). Cortez is a good coach - maybe a QB coach is also what the Stamps need and Cortez can focus on the whole offense???

STAMPEDRED
12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
[quote=Bench Warmer;677137]Cortez didn't do much to help Joseph relax last year in Saskatchewan...granted, he was the o-line coach. That said, I was really hoping the Riders would give Cortez the HC position. Interesting scenario in Calgary now where you have two associate coaches who are prime HC material. Not a bad problem to have at all - although I would suspect one will leave when the other takes over for Higgins (I heard that's been promised to Creehan at some point?). ...

quote]

I think this is quite interesting to have two guys in the wing. Remember back when we used to have this type of problem at QB, but now its at the Head Coach level :blink: ! Maybe they don't want another Wally Buono type of term in length again so they are piling up the talent to replace Higgins in a hurry!:D

Does Cortez actually want to be a head coach though?? I know it was mentioned that Creehan was to be getting the HC job this upcoming year... so does this mean he might be looking elsewear in 2008 for a HC job? Higgins doesn't appear to me to be wanting to step down anytime soon.

worth
12-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Creehan was promised the HC job last year. For some reason that never happened and he was offered associate HC so he would stick around. Doens't look like Creehan will be taking over this year either, so i'm thinking he's off the table as HC as they are not comfortable in putting him in the HC position. If Higgins does go upstairs say in 08 or 09 I could see cortez going to the HC position, but then we would probably creehan move on to some where else. He wants to be a HC and I don't see that opportunity happening anymore in Calgary for him.