PDA

View Full Version : NFL Stadiums...

Bobblehead
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
How much do these stadiums get used?

NFL teams have practice complexes, so is the field only used on gamedays? 2 exhibition and 8 regular season games (plus playoffs, if they are lucky).

Do most teams also share with colleges? I know some do, but even then, how many more days does that add in?

I was reading the most recent arena thread in the OT forum; and arenas are also super expensive but at least you get 4 times the number of games. How can municipalities justify these $100+ Million properties?

Bring_Back_Shantz
12-04-2006, 03:53 PM
There are a couple things to consider.

1 They may only get 1/4 of the games, but they hold 3 times the people, and the seats are much more expensive (especially the boxes). I know that a lot of the dome type stadiums hold events like car shows, concets, etc, but I'm not sure about the outdoor ones.

When you're talking about the NFL, you have to realize that it is a money making machine. 10 games doesn't sound like a lot, but you can guarantee that those 10 days produce more income than 40 hockey games.

Bobblehead
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
There are a couple things to consider.

1 They may only get 1/4 of the games, but they hold 3 times the people, and the seats are much more expensive (especially the boxes). I know that a lot of the dome type stadiums hold events like car shows, concets, etc, but I'm not sure about the outdoor ones.

When you're talking about the NFL, you have to realize that it is a money making machine. 10 games doesn't sound like a lot, but you can guarantee that those 10 days produce more income than 40 hockey games.

I agree that the NFL generates huge $.

But for every stadium paid for privately (Gillette Stadium) there is a field essentially purchased by the municipality (University of Phoenix Stadium - $455 Million of which the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority paid $298 million). And there are a handful of teams willing to pull up stakes unless they get a new stadium (Browns, Raiders, Colts, Oilers, etc).

I know NFL teams are moneymakers. It just shocks me how much municipalities are willing to pay to have one for the 10-12 games a year they will hold for owners who are raking in the money.

Flames in 07
12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
I agree that the NFL generates huge $.

But for every stadium paid for privately (Gillette Stadium) there is a field essentially purchased by the municipality (University of Phoenix Stadium - $455 Million of which the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority paid $298 million). And there are a handful of teams willing to pull up stakes unless they get a new stadium (Browns, Raiders, Colts, Oilers, etc).

I know NFL teams are moneymakers. It just shocks me how much municipalities are willing to pay to have one for the 10-12 games a year they will hold for owners who are raking in the money.

Part of that math is to ask the city what it costs to lose their team. There are other uses as well. IE the NE stadium you refernces hold MLS and the Arizona stadium has bowl. You may not think that is much, but my quick math on ticket season alone is:

07 Fiesta bowl: 75,000 seats * $175 = 11.25M
07 National Championship 75,000 * $250 = 18.75M
for a total of 30M.
The saddledome is ~ 20,000 * $85 = 1.7M

So the bowls at the AZ field is that same as ~ 17 NHL games ... almost half a season in two games.

burn_baby_burn
12-05-2006, 03:52 PM
I know that Arrowhead in KC also has Soccer :bag: as well as the big 12 championship game. They used to have concerts there. Not sure if they still do. But I remember seeing on one of my old Metallica shirts that Arrowhead was part of the tour.

Sylvanfan
12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Well just so happens that I found out that I'll be working on the new Stadium being built for the New York Mets of MLB. Not really relevant to the thread I guess. Although the last Sports Stadium I worked on was Ford Field the home of the Detroit Lions about 6 years ago so it's been awhile.

burn_baby_burn
12-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Well just so happens that I found out that I'll be working on the new Stadium being built for the New York Mets of MLB. Not really relevant to the thread I guess. Although the last Sports Stadium I worked on was Ford Field the home of the Detroit Lions about 6 years ago so it's been awhile.

Pouring cement? ;) What do you do?

Sylvanfan
12-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Design and drafting for Structural steel. Looking at the foundation plans there are a few area's where they've concentrated the rebar and left large enough voids in the rebar that you could fit a human body right beside it.......j/k