PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Satellite Radio

Bench Warmer
11-29-2006, 03:54 PM
There was some discussion about satellite radio the CJAY 92 thread and I had a couple questions for you satellite radio owners out there.

First off, XM or Sirius? I've heard Sirius' music/shows are better, XMs sports are better. For me, I doubt I'd listen to alot of live sports on radio (I got HD on TV at home so why listen to radio) but I'd probably listen to a variety of music, comedy, sports during the day. Suggestions?

Second, I'd like a unit where I can listen at work during the day but convert to something I can listen in the car as well for the drive to/from work. The impression I've always got is you'd have to buy seperate systems to do both - or am I wrong here? An all-in-one portable system would be great. Don't want to spend a tonne - any suggestions on the hardware I should purchase?

Lastly, is it worth the cost? Paying for radio is still foreign to me at this point...

Flames in 07
11-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Sat Radio is absolutely worth it.

A small question is Sirius vs XM. Both are very simiar, the larger question is Canadian subscription vs US.

Canadian subscription gives you the opportunity to have the CRTC decide which channels you get and which you don't.

I have a US sub to XM, and listen to it every day. I get all NHL games, many NCAA conferences for football and basketball, 6 urban stations 5 jazz stations, about 250 stations in total and almost never listen to FM anymore.

Incogneto
11-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I prefer Sirius....NFL Network, Howard Stern, Maxim radio, ESPN Radio, and ALL NFL GAMES.

Rumor has it the two will merge in the next 18 months, though....

edn88
11-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I my understanding is that XM has the rights to NHL hockey and Sirius does not.

Flames in 07
11-29-2006, 04:19 PM

Correct.

OilersBaby
11-29-2006, 04:23 PM
my husband and i have Sirius and we love it! Amazin variety...tons of hockey, great music to choose from, talk shows etc etc etc. And it's awesome cuz its like tivo/dvr for music..you can fast forward or start a song from the beginning etc. It rocks.

Unfortunately, I dont know much about the other one, only Sirius, but I would def reccomend that. I dont know how much it is in Canada..here I pay 7 bucks a month.

OilersBaby
11-29-2006, 04:24 PM
we have sirius and we still get NHL games...so im not sure how that works. i get every oilers game (thats all i care about). i know every flames game is on there too:) Amazin in the crazy traffic!

ken0042
11-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Correct.

Well, not quite correct.

Sirius still has the rights through the end of this season; and XM has them now as well as past this season.

Bobblehead
11-29-2006, 04:32 PM
we have sirius and we still get NHL games...so im not sure how that works. i get every oilers game (thats all i care about). i know every flames game is on there too:) Amazin in the crazy traffic!

I'm not sure if it is this way internationally, but XM signed and exclusive agreement with the NHL that starts in 2007. link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2159681)(article is dated Sept.12 2005)
On Monday, the NHL announced an exclusive 10-year, $100 million agreement with XM Satellite Radio. The network will become the league's exclusive satellite radio broadcast partner in 2007.

Flames in 07
11-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, not quite correct.

Sirius still has the rights through the end of this season; and XM has them now as well as past this season.

I thought the exclusivity starts Jan 1/07, but either way XM is the way to go if it's about hockey. If you need it for the NFL Sirius is your best bet.

KootenayFlamesFan
11-29-2006, 04:43 PM
I have Sirius and love it. Big fan of Howard Stern's show and all the other programs on the Stern network, especially Scott Ferall's sports show. Lots of great music stations, as I'm sure XM does as well.

Second, I'd like a unit where I can listen at work during the day but convert to something I can listen in the car as well for the drive to/from work. The impression I've always got is you'd have to buy seperate systems to do both - or am I wrong here? An all-in-one portable system would be great. Don't want to spend a tonne - any suggestions on the hardware I should purchase?

Both Sirius and XM have portable handheld units you can purchase and take with you anywhere, I think the cost is somewhere between 300-400 bucks. There are also small boomboxes you can buy for certain types of Sirius units (not sure if XM has these) that lets you just insert the radio into........perfect for camping and such.

underGRADFlame
11-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Satellite Radio is worth the money for sure. I have XM and love it (US sub) I have it in my Jeep and rarely turn it off when I'm in it (just to listen to Flames @ 5), also when you have a sub. to XM you get free access to XM Online which you can listen to anywhere, I have it on my work computer and listen to it all day at work. I know Sirius has online as well just not sure how it works or if its extra cash.

There are rumours floating that Sirius wants to buy out XM but from all I have read about it, its basicly a pipe dream and will never happen.

As for content, XM is great, I'm not a Howard Stern fan so there was no attraction to get sirius for him (Opie and Anthony are funny as hell) the music content is for the most part the same, maybe alittle extra here or there but for the most part theyre both same.

Which ever one you deside on you won't be dissapointed, but i suggest XM.

In a related topic I still have my XM Delphi SkiFi for sale, comes with the Home Kit...

Engine09
11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
It all comes down to what personalities you're into. Check out both, decide what you would enjoy more.

Myself, I'm a huge Howard Stern fan, if someone gave me an XM radio I would throw it in the garbage. Too bad about the NHL deal, I heard about that but didn't know the details. Hockey on the radio sucks anyways, get Center Ice.

especially Scott Ferall's sports show

That guy is insane, awesome show.

OilersBaby
11-29-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure if it is this way internationally, but XM signed and exclusive agreement with the NHL that starts in 2007. link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2159681)(article is dated Sept.12 2005)

Oh, I guess according to the article that as of 2007, we wont get NHL on Sirius...that sucks. I know that right now, we dont get MLB on Sirius. Ive had Sirius since 2004 or so (or early 2005)..maybe now it's time for a change if I dont get hockey.....but the MUSIC on Sirius ROCKS! I dunno..tough decision..I already have Center Ice and a DVR so I could record all the games and stick with Sirius.

Does anyone know of the price difference if there is one?

Azure
11-29-2006, 06:18 PM

I'm pretty sure I can listen to NHL games on Sirius as well.

Haven't done it in forever though.

Jagger
11-29-2006, 06:52 PM
I've got XM (Canadian sub). There's not as many choices as a US subscription but still enough for me. (Probably 110 channels or so.) XM online is included with your subscription and works very well. I've listened to Sirius quite a bit too (Online and rental cars) and they seem pretty similar in content, music wise, to me.

I do listen to the NHL games while driving and, as others have stated, that will be issue after this season in that Sirius do not have the rights after that time.

XM do have a handheld model that you can transfer between home and car provided you have a home kit. I prefer to use the online service though.

Mango
11-29-2006, 07:05 PM
When our department sells satellite radio, we mention the following to customers:

XM - better in urban areas, contracts with NHL, MLB, and FIFA (world cup coverage), portable unit available, home kits/car kits are proprietary with each receiver (Roady XT, SkyFi, Myfi). Cost is $14.99

Sirius - better is rural areas, contract with CFL and NFL, better for talk stations, portable units are available, better for Canadian content (CBC et al.), newest units are no longer proprietary and therefore, only one type of car kit and home kit will be sold. Cost is $14.99 and is available in contracts where if you sign up for one year, you get one month for free. They also offer a lifetime contract for $550.00 (I believe).

Bench Warmer
11-29-2006, 07:33 PM
This is kinda what I feared - we are not allowed to listen to radio online at work so I'd need a portable unit I could transfer from the car to the office. That said, I don't want to listen through headphones all day which I assume is how the portable unit works? I was kinda hoping they'd have a setup where you take the receiver out of the car and stick it on a boom-box / speaker type unit (like the ipod 'boom-box' setup is).

Mango - I'm curious, why do you say XM is better for urban and Sirius rural? And I apologize for being daft but what do you mean when you say 'only one type of car kit and home kit will be sold'?

Mango
11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Mango - I'm curious, why do you say XM is better for urban and Sirius rural? And I apologize for being daft but what do you mean when you say 'only one type of car kit and home kit will be sold'?

Sirius has moving satellites, while XM has repeaters built in the urban centers of metropolis cities. Both will work in urban and rural, but XM has a slight edge on urban and Sirius has a slight edge on rural.

What Sirius did before was they created various units that would appeal to different markets -

eg. Sportster Reply: allowed you to have a memory function so you could go back and hear something if you had missed it.

If you bought the Sportster Reply and wanted to get a home kit, you would have to specifically buy a home kit made for the Sportster Reply. Instead of having specific home kits and car kits, each of the new units have the same dock.

Bench Warmer
11-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Sirius has moving satellites, while XM has repeaters built in the urban centers of metropolis cities. Both will work in urban and rural, but XM has a slight edge on urban and Sirius has a slight edge on rural.

What Sirius did before was they created various units that would appeal to different markets -

eg. Sportster Reply: allowed you to have a memory function so you could go back and hear something if you had missed it.

If you bought the Sportster Reply and wanted to get a home kit, you would have to specifically buy a home kit made for the Sportster Reply. Instead of having specific home kits and car kits, each of the new units have the same dock.

Okay - I get it now. So, it sounds like for my needs wanting to dock between car and office, Sirius is probably the way to go (I also live in Saskatchewan - city - but doubt XM would have repeaters here).

Thanks for info all - keep it comin'!

Mango
11-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Okay - I get it now. So, it sounds like for my needs wanting to dock between car and office, Sirius is probably the way to go (I also live in Saskatchewan - city - but doubt XM would have repeaters here).

Thanks for info all - keep it comin'!

Your signal will still be very strong in Saskatchewan:

Our Canadian content originates from our Toronto and Montreal studios then fed through XM's broadcast center, the world's largest all-digital studio complex in Washington, DC, and uplink to our two (Boeing 702) satellites. These satellites transmit the signal across North America. Each satellite provides 18kw of total power making them the two most powerful commercial satellites ever built, providing coast-to-coast coverage. (http://xmradio.ca/contents/home/main.php?section=faq)

underGRADFlame
11-29-2006, 07:59 PM
In my travels across western canada, the only place I lose signal is behind a mountain, in tunnels or direcetly north of a brick building, other than that if you can see the sky, you can get a signal.

Mango
11-29-2006, 08:00 PM
If you do decide to use either service with a home kit, your antenna will have to be placed in a south facing window to receive the best reception.

Azure
11-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Interesting to note that XM has geosynchronous satellites...while Sirius uses...

Unlike XM, Sirius does not use GEO satellites (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/satellite.htm). Instead, its three SS/L-1300 (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=satellite-radio.htm&url=http://www.ssloral.com/html/products/prodserv.html#1300) satellites form an inclined elliptical satellite constellation. Sirius says the elliptical path of its satellite constellation ensures that each satellite spends about 16 hours a day over the continental United States, with at least one satellite over the country at all times. Sirius completed its three-satellite constellation on November 30, 2000. A fourth satellite will remain on the ground, ready to be launched if any of the three active satellites encounter transmission problems.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/satellite-radio3.htm

I have seen an image of the area those satellites cover...and it includes most of North America. Here in rural Southern Alberta...the Sirius signal is very strong.

Jagger
11-29-2006, 08:35 PM
I've never had problems in rural areas with XM and I do lot's of travelling in the boonies. As undergrad says the only time I've lost reception is by tall buildings or in tunnels. Other than that the reception is great.

Jayems
11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I love my XM and don't know what I would do without it, especially with long road trips...

Opie and Anthony (XM's answer to Stern) are freaking hilarious...

6 country stations
tonnes of hockey
heavy metal... lots of rock.. 3 comedy chans [2 uncensored]...

Once you go satellite, you'll never go back.

Dissapointed with XM 204 - Home Ice (24/7 hockey chan). The DJ's or whateve they are called are freaking brutal... there is one show where all they do is laugh about inside jokes and have stupid noises like people laughing or odd circus noises and they think its sooooo funny....

KootenayFlamesFan
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
I was kinda hoping they'd have a setup where you take the receiver out of the car and stick it on a boom-box / speaker type unit (like the ipod 'boom-box' setup is).

Here's the boomboxes for Sirius off of the Sirius Canada site:

http://shop.siriuscanada.ca/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreDirectory.vm&ctl_nbr=3560&catLevel=1&catParentID=19229&scId=19229&oldParentID=16689

Calgaryborn
11-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I've been thinking about getting XM for the hockey but, am concerned about reception in the mountains. If a brick building will mess you up I'm sure it will be hit and miss on the kootenay summits.

On a side note: I can pick up the Fan 960 in places between Creston and Castlegar B.C.

Flames in 07
11-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I've been thinking about getting XM for the hockey but, am concerned about reception in the mountains. If a brick building will mess you up I'm sure it will be hit and miss on the kootenay summits.

On a side note: I can pick up the Fan 960 in places between Creston and Castlegar B.C.

It's quite good, on the way to banff I lose reception for about 5 - 10 seconds in total, and works great in Banff.

if you want look into www.xmfan.com

there is a bulletin board where sometimes folks talk about reception in certain areas.

Jagger
11-30-2006, 02:58 AM

I've actually had very few problems with reception in the Rockies. Perhaps I've been lucky but there have only been a few occasions where I've had fade in and out for a few minutes.

jam26
11-30-2006, 05:26 AM
I also have an XM subscription and can't be without it. I enjoy having the hockey games in the evening, baseball in the summer and Ron and Fez on XM 202 at lunchtime. I find they're far funnier than Opie and Anthony and that annoying Jimmy Norton.

Bench Warmer
11-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Well, it is without a doubt that satellite radio does sound like the way to go. However, I want to listen to it at work and although my office faces south, I have no window (with no window nearby - it's a poor building setup) so I wouldn't be able to get a signal methinks...

TimSJ
11-30-2006, 07:54 AM
I have sirrius Canada and have had xm US in the past. Love Howard/ ferrall and Bubba the love sponge... Margaritaville radio as well.. Nascar goes to sirrius next year as well if that is a caonsideration for you.

underGRADFlame
11-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Well, it is without a doubt that satellite radio does sound like the way to go. However, I want to listen to it at work and although my office faces south, I have no window (with no window nearby - it's a poor building setup) so I wouldn't be able to get a signal methinks...
It might be something to test, if you have a friend with a sat. radio, ask if you can borrow it, or go to a electronics store and say you want to test one, and that if it works you'll buy from them, the idea of a sale might get you a loaner for a couple hours, you never know untill you try, also you can get up to 200' extensions for the antenna's so if you are able to run a wire it would work too.

Jayems
11-30-2006, 10:23 AM

Well, if you have the net and speakers, you can just sign in at xm.com or whatever and choose your live streaming station.

I know they don't get all the chans online (like hockey, etc..) but they have most of the main chans...

I listen to it at home all the time this way.

burn_baby_burn
11-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I have a Canadian Sirius. I really like it. No more Jim Rome for me. The big reason I chose Sirius was for the NFL and Howard Stern. I find myself listening to Howard Stern the most. Right now Sirius does have NHL hockey. Like was stated above they are losing the rights either after the season or on Jan 1st. In reality, I get all my NHL info from the Fan960 anyways. The music is good, I rarely use my MP3 player in my vehicle anymore. The comedy is pretty good as well. All in all I would say that the $15 a month is well worth it.

Eagle Eye
11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Well I just got my sirius radio and I am enjoying quite a lot. I am able to pick up a very strong signal downtown while be in the middle of my building with no windows in sight. I think calgary has a very good repeater as I am not picking up any sat signal.

The only issue I am having is the strength of my FM transmitter.

Bench Warmer
11-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Well I just got my sirius radio and I am enjoying quite a lot. I am able to pick up a very strong signal downtown while be in the middle of my building with no windows in sight. I think calgary has a very good repeater as I am not picking up any sat signal.

The only issue I am having is the strength of my FM transmitter.

That's good to know. Maybe it will work here after all. As mentioned previously, I can't use the net as radio through the net is blocked here...

Jayems
11-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I have gone through the mountians several times w/ the XM and never lost the signal, or it cut out for 1 millasecond.

Jonrox
11-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Don't buy into the Howard hype. He and his crew are absolutely terrible. Go with XM and listen to Opie and Anthony. There's a reason Howard tried to shut these guys up and ruin their careers... he was and is scared of their genius.

As for music, Sirius and XM are very similar. With either one you'll have no problem finding something great to listen to. For many Canadians, I think it will come down to NHL hockey coverage and XM is (or will be very soon) the only choice.

The XM Roady XT can be had for around $80 (this includes the car kit and receiver), with the home kit costing about $70 (I think this is what I paid). The receiver can then be used in either kit. Plus, all of the Sirius units I've seen are incredibly ugly in comparison to the XM units.

Josh
11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I've had XM for over two years, and well the last time I've listened to an FM station was over two years ago. It's been the best thing I've ever bought for my car. My recommendation is to get it, you definetly won't regret it.

KootenayFlamesFan
11-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Don't buy into the Howard hype. He and his crew are absolutely terrible. Go with XM and listen to Opie and Anthony. There's a reason Howard tried to shut these guys up and ruin their careers... he was and is scared of their genius.

What makes you so sure that he's 'scared' of their genius? Sirius signed him to a $500 million contract, why would he be scared or concerned in the least about those guys in any aspect? Howard has zero to worry about..........he's richer and more powerful than most celebrities in America and there is zero chance he will be fired.

Why didn't Sirius offer those guys 500 million if they are geniuses?

underGRADFlame
11-30-2006, 10:13 PM
What makes you so sure that he's 'scared' of their genius? Sirius signed him to a $500 million contract, why would he be scared or concerned in the least about those guys in any aspect? Howard has zero to worry about..........he's richer and more powerful than most celebrities in America and there is zero chance he will be fired.

Why didn't Sirius offer those guys 500 million if they are geniuses?

Trust me the bosses at Sirius are kicking they're own @sses for giving Howard that contract. The sub rate has not gone threw the roof like they thought it would, they still trail XM sub rates by quite a bit, the so called "king of all media" has not brought the listeners nor the ad rate they had hoped for. From what i've listened to of Howard since he went to the dog star, it seems like he doesn't care anymore, he takes alot of time off and talks about his manson in the hamptons alot. As far as Howard vs O&A, Howard has never liked them, has claimed that he could ban them from The Late Show "if he felt like it" and is pretty upset that O&A now has about 20 times the listening audience since signing with CBS (Howards old stomping grounds). And to say Howard is more powerful than most celebs is a bit far fetched, he's about one step away from doing "Hollywood Squares"

KootenayFlamesFan
11-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Trust me the bosses at Sirius are kicking they're own @sses for giving Howard that contract.

Why should I trust you? Do you know the bosses personally?

The sub rate has not gone threw the roof like they thought it would, they still trail XM sub rates by quite a bit, the so called "king of all media" has not brought the listeners nor the ad rate they had hoped for.

Here's an article from Business Week from April:

Since the talk-radio star announced he would join Sirius, its subscriber rolls have jumped to more than 4 million, with more than 1 million net additions attributable to Stern, analysts say. In the fourth quarter, Sirius for the first time added more subscribers than rival XM Satellite Radio (XMSR (http://javascript<b></b>: void showTicker('XMSR')) ) -- and Stern is the reason, says Joan Lappin, president of Gramercy Capital Management, which owns shares. Sirius had trailed XM by 10 percentage points in brand recognition, and is now 10 points ahead, a phenomenal switch, says Lappin. "It's the Stern Effect," she adds. Maurice McKenzie of investment firm Friedman Billings Ramsey (FBR (http://javascript<b></b>: void showTicker('FBR')) ), who rates the stock, now at 5, "outperform" with a target of 7.50, estimates subs will hit 6 million by yearend. Stern has helped put Sirius on track to break even, or maybe turn profitable by 2007, says McKenzie. Tuna Amobi of Standard & Poor's, who rates Sirius a "five-star strong buy," predicts subs will hit 9.8 million by yearend 2007. He sees revenues leaping to $610 million in 2006 and to nearly $1.1 billion in 2007, up from $242.3 million in 2005.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_15/b3979125.htm

Here's a recent article from Canadian Business Magazine:

The early winner? Well, it's not XM, even though it has charged $2 less per month, offers the better selection of special receivers needed to pick up satellite signals and signed exclusive deals with the top three automobile sellers in the country — GM, Toyota and Honda. Instead, it's Sirius claiming victory, with more than 65% retail market share.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/technology/companies/article.jsp?content=20061023_81741_81741

And an article today in the Washington Post:

Still, Karmazin said demand for Stern is driving listeners to Sirius, which signed its first subscriber in 2002. The company expects to generate $1 billion in revenue next year and have 6.3 million subscribers by the end of 2006.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/30/AR2006113000683.html

From what i've listened to of Howard since he went to the dog star, it seems like he doesn't care anymore, he takes alot of time off and talks about his manson in the hamptons alot.

At least you don't sound biased. Talks about his mansion in the Hamptons a lot? I listen to Stern quite a bit and I don't recall the last time he ever brought up this topic, if ever.

As far as Howard vs O&A, Howard has never liked them, has claimed that he could ban them from The Late Show "if he felt like it" and is pretty upset that O&A now has about 20 times the listening audience since signing with CBS (Howards old stomping grounds).

Since it sounds like you're quoting him, do you mind providing a link for that? I'd be interested in seeing that.

As for your statement about '20 times the listening audience' in what context are you comparing that to?

And to say Howard is more powerful than most celebs is a bit far fetched, he's about one step away from doing "Hollywood Squares"

Wrong again.

Stern was listed the #7 most powerful celebrity by Forbes in June.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/12/06celebrities_money-power-celebrities-list_land.html

metallicat
11-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Choosing between XM and Sirius is a matter of personal opinion. You need to make your own mind up, because subscribers of one are not likely to support the other company. I have XM, but I am sure that I would be just as happy with Sirius.

When I signed up with XM, the Canadian subscription offered less than the American one, so I went with the US. Now, I think it's almost identical.

As for Opie and Anthony, I listened to them for a couple months, but got tired of listening. Someone else mentioned it, but Jimmy Norton is annoying as hell. Some of their bits are alright, but nothing to make me want to listen on a daily basis.

Check out the lineup for each company, and see which one offers more of what you want.

underGRADFlame
12-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Why should I trust you? Do you know the bosses personally?

Here's an article from Business Week from April:

Since the talk-radio star announced he would join Sirius, its subscriber rolls have jumped to more than 4 million, with more than 1 million net additions attributable to Stern, analysts say. In the fourth quarter, Sirius for the first time added more subscribers than rival XM Satellite Radio (XMSR (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20void%20showTicker%28%27XMSR%27%29) ) -- and Stern is the reason, says Joan Lappin, president of Gramercy Capital Management, which owns shares. Sirius had trailed XM by 10 percentage points in brand recognition, and is now 10 points ahead, a phenomenal switch, says Lappin. "It's the Stern Effect," she adds. Maurice McKenzie of investment firm Friedman Billings Ramsey (FBR (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20void%20showTicker%28%27FBR%27%29) ), who rates the stock, now at 5, "outperform" with a target of 7.50, estimates subs will hit 6 million by yearend. Stern has helped put Sirius on track to break even, or maybe turn profitable by 2007, says McKenzie. Tuna Amobi of Standard & Poor's, who rates Sirius a "five-star strong buy," predicts subs will hit 9.8 million by yearend 2007. He sees revenues leaping to $610 million in 2006 and to nearly $1.1 billion in 2007, up from $242.3 million in 2005.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_15/b3979125.htm

Here's a recent article from Canadian Business Magazine:

The early winner? Well, it's not XM, even though it has charged $2 less per month, offers the better selection of special receivers needed to pick up satellite signals and signed exclusive deals with the top three automobile sellers in the country — GM, Toyota and Honda. Instead, it's Sirius claiming victory, with more than 65% retail market share.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/technology/companies/article.jsp?content=20061023_81741_81741

And an article today in the Washington Post:

Still, Karmazin said demand for Stern is driving listeners to Sirius, which signed its first subscriber in 2002. The company expects to generate $1 billion in revenue next year and have 6.3 million subscribers by the end of 2006.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/30/AR2006113000683.html

At least you don't sound biased. Talks about his mansion in the Hamptons a lot? I listen to Stern quite a bit and I don't recall the last time he ever brought up this topic, if ever.

Since it sounds like you're quoting him, do you mind providing a link for that? I'd be interested in seeing that.

As for your statement about '20 times the listening audience' in what context are you comparing that to?

Wrong again.

Stern was listed the #7 most powerful celebrity by Forbes in June.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/12/06celebrities_money-power-celebrities-list_land.html

Just cause I really don't want to fight each one of your points, and its because I really don't care enough about the subject I'll just quote the last part of the Forbes write up. "The outsized compensation package prompted massive first-quarter losses for Sirius, which has seen its stock tumble 32% to $4.41 since the new year."

And the comment on 20 X the listening audience is due to the fact O&A are on Terrestrial radio and XM meaning theyre listening is about twenty times that of Howards.

But reguardless this is getting way OT and I'm past the point of caring to back up my points(I'm just lazy). O&A fans don't like Stern, Stern Fans don't like O&A, it can be left at that.

Bench Warmer, this is what XM vs Sirius comes down, Stern vs O&A, its basically the only difference, or I guess it could be Martha Stewart vs Oprah LOL

Engine09
12-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Opie & Anthony? Honkey please.

The only reason we have some O&A fans here is because they picked up an XM radio over a year ago before they knew the difference between Sirius and XM. Sounds like someone is buying into the hype and it is not Stern fans. The man has been number one in numerous markets across North America for over 2 decades.

Now who are Opie and Anthony?

KootenayFlamesFan
12-01-2006, 01:47 PM
And the comment on 20 X the listening audience is due to the fact O&A are on Terrestrial radio and XM meaning theyre listening is about twenty times that of Howards.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

But reguardless this is getting way OT and I'm past the point of caring to back up my points(I'm just lazy). O&A fans don't like Stern, Stern Fans don't like O&A, it can be left at that.

I've never heard O&A, so I can't comment on their show, perhaps I would like them.

I like listening to Howard's show, it's pretty good, and his show usually runs about 4-5 hours long. But my favourite program on the Stern network is Scott Ferrall's show. Uncensored, hilarious sports call-in show with great music playing in the background. I love it. Ferrall is also a pretty huge hockey fan, so he doesn't just stick to football and baseball all the time. Just a great, great show.

Bench Warmer, this is what XM vs Sirius comes down, Stern vs O&A, its basically the only difference, or I guess it could be Martha Stewart vs Oprah LOL

Here's an interesting take from the Washington Post's Marc Fisher written in August. He compares the two systems and which one he likes better in certain categories.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/11/AR2006081100085.html

metallicat
12-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Ferrall...I thought he was gone. I do remember O&A fans lambasting his show with calls just to try to screw him up. I can't get into that guy...I've tried listening to his sports show on Fox Sports I believe.

Antithesis
06-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Some questions specifically about acquiring a US subscription to the XM Radio service.

1. Do you need to purchase a radio unit in the USA in order to subscribe to the US version of this service? If so, can you order these online? (I'd assume not)

2. I assume you need a US mailing address in order to set this up, is this the case?

3. Do they offer pre-authorized payment so no bills are actually sent?

4. If so, do they accept credit cards from Canadian banks?

5. Can Canadians easily listen to the XM online service? If so, this would save me a lot of $$$ in purchasing a mobile unit.

underGRADFlame
06-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Some questions specifically about acquiring a US subscription to the XM Radio service.

1. Do you need to purchase a radio unit in the USA in order to subscribe to the US version of this service? If so, can you order these online? (I'd assume not)

2. I assume you need a US mailing address in order to set this up, is this the case?

3. Do they offer pre-authorized payment so no bills are actually sent?

4. If so, do they accept credit cards from Canadian banks?

5. Can Canadians easily listen to the XM online service? If so, this would save me a lot of $$$ in purchasing a mobile unit.

(1)I bought my unit at Autotemp here in Calgary, from what i can tell there is no difference between US/Canadian Equipment, they both pull from the same satellite. (2) For the mailing address I use my aunts, but the guy at autotemp told me to just give XM's address in DC. (3/4) I've been using my RBC Visa with no problems and my aunt has told me there is no mail thats ever shown up. (5) I use XM online all the time at work, you get a free online account for every radio sub. I think the online account alone is just under 10/mnth.

metallicat
06-18-2007, 05:33 PM
I am pretty sure though, that you don't get everything with the online subscription. I haven't logged online in a long time, but I don't think I ever saw sports, and probably some other things. Is this still the case?

underGRADFlame
06-18-2007, 05:37 PM
No the online line up has all the music channels but very few of the talk stations. But 202 is there and for me it's all that matters.

Slava
06-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Well I'm not going to get into the whole XM/Sirius battle. I picked up a Sirius unit (as a gift actually) and it is great. I didn't buy it for a specific personality or anything, although I thought that Maxim radio would be cool (its mediocre at best).

Since I've had the radio though I'm addicted to the two Stern channels. I tried him out on a whim, and that show is fantastic. Ferrall and Bubba are also faves of mine now. I rarely bother with terrestrial radio now and hated missing a week of satellite.

The price is totally worth it, just make a choice between the two and which ever you choose you'll be happy with; its a good decision for sure!

(Buy the extended warranty for the car system....the antenna do fail all the time and you will likely get your $$ worth!).

iggypop
08-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Back from the dead. After combing this thread I still can't find the right info about portable units. Im thinking about buying a portable handheld unit that I could hopefully listen to anywhere, but do they actually work? My dream is to be able to listen to it while inside Mt Royal, but is it possible? Does one provider have a stronger signal that would allow me to do this? Any personal experience? TIA

Jayems
08-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Back from the dead. After combing this thread I still can't find the right info about portable units. Im thinking about buying a portable handheld unit that I could hopefully listen to anywhere, but do they actually work? My dream is to be able to listen to it while inside Mt Royal, but is it possible? Does one provider have a stronger signal that would allow me to do this? Any personal experience? TIA

No, if you get a portable unit, it comes with a little cord that is the antenna, and you clip it on to you back-pack or whatever (pretty lame if you ask me, but i don't really see much of an alternative). You wouldn't be able to get it inside MRC except if you were maybe by a window or something.

Engine09
08-13-2007, 12:59 AM
How much of Mount Royal is covered by WiFi?

The Stilettos can stream from the internet I think, check it out.

GreenTeaFrapp
08-13-2007, 06:41 AM
No, if you get a portable unit, it comes with a little cord that is the antenna, and you clip it on to you back-pack or whatever (pretty lame if you ask me, but i don't really see much of an alternative). You wouldn't be able to get it inside MRC except if you were maybe by a window or something.

Both providers have on-ground repeaters that allow you to pick up their signal without a line of sight to the satellites. I can pick up XM in my garage with the door closed. Buy one at Future Shop, Best Buy or Costco and see if you can get a signal where you want to. You don't need to subscribe since you're just looking for a signal. If you can't get a signal, return it for a refund.

greerb
08-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Here are a few points that no body has covered in this.

- Sirius has repeaters in large urban area, they use CBC towers, I'm pretty sure XM does the same, but I am unsure who's towers they use.
- Sirius is brining out a Video subscription, I checked out the units at CES this past January. If you have kids, you may want to stonly look at this. They have also launched a 4th satalite for this.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/sirius-video-coming-in-2007-sez-karmazin-218618.php
- At the start of this upcoming season XM will be the only provider of broadcasting NHL games, like sirius they will probably pick up The Fan's feed.

Mccree
05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Really hate to bump a super old thread but I did not want to start a new one. I want to get a satellite radio for my car but do not know which provider I want.

I do not know the difference between them. I one better for sports which I like. Any suggestions?

metallicat
05-09-2008, 04:47 AM
You have to decide which sports you want. Hockey? XM. Football? Sirius. XM also has baseball and college football and I think basketball. Sirius probably has the NBA, but I'm not sure. They also have NASCAR.

Incogneto
05-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Sirius is the way to go. Trust me.

Tron_fdc
05-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Yep. I had a trial version of XM in my truck when I bought it last year, along with my existing Sirius, and I didn't like XM at all. I listened to it a few times to give it a go, but I always found myself switching back to Shade45 and Howard Stern.

Bubba the Love Sponge is a nice surprise as well....I had never heard of him before but he has a show right after Stern, and I'd say it's as good if not sometimes better.

Boblobla
05-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I have Sirius and it is awesome. I listen to it all day at work and on my drive in. The talk radio isn't very good at all, so if you are into that go for XM but the music option on Sirius are MUCH better.

Boblobla
05-09-2008, 08:55 AM
hey also have NASCAR.

If there is anything more exciting than watching cars drive in a circle for 5 hours it is listening to it...

GreenTeaFrapp
05-09-2008, 09:00 AM
For modern rock, the Sirius channels are superior to XM but Sirius has nothing that compares to NHL Home Ice.

ken0042
05-09-2008, 09:05 AM
And don't be fooled by the NHL logos and the "HNIC Radio" that is on all of the Sirius ads.

I've even had a salesperson say to me "If you are a hockey fan, Sirius is good as they have the HNIC deal." :rolleyes:

Madman
05-09-2008, 09:34 AM
XM all the way.

Howard is a ######.

That is all.

Boblobla
05-09-2008, 09:40 AM
And don't be fooled by the NHL logos and the "HNIC Radio" that is on all of the Sirius ads.

I've even had a salesperson say to me "If you are a hockey fan, Sirius is good as they have the HNIC deal." :rolleyes:

Yeah, I almost had the same thing happen to me. Sirius used to have hockey apparently but they stopped this year. Their HNIC contract is a show on during the drive home every day.

It is a good show though, the were talking to Wade Belak after he signed the other day. It was very informative even if I had to listen to Cassie Campbell...

Mccree
05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the reponses, I was thinking of going with Sirius but do have a few more questions.

Sirius has NFL and Nascar?

XM has Hockey

Which one has the better hardware?

Does the merger between the two make any difference in Canada

Boblobla
05-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Sirius has NFL and Nascar?

XM has Hockey

Which one has the better hardware?

Yes, Yes and I really like my Sirius Sportster 5

http://shop.siriuscanada.ca/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=3560&siId=2967383&catParentID=22262&scId=22262

Does the merger between the two make any difference in Canada

I will believe that when it actually happens. They have been talking about the merger for about 3 years now and it is always 'about to happen'.

I am hoping if it does that I will get hockey again.

burn_baby_burn
05-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I thought the merger was finally approved by Congress and now it is up to the FCC? Sounds like terestrial radio is scared to death about Satelitte radio. Which they should be. For instance I used to listen to the Fan 960 exclusively. Now I only listen before and after Flames games.

Engine09
05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Both XM & Sirius blow AM/FM radio out of the water. Honestly, terrestrial radio is complete garbage once you get used to acessing almost 200 channels from your car with no static, music with no commercials, it's just a whole different deal.

Yeah, the Department of Justice finally approved the merger, now we're waiting on the FCC who you know will drag their ass.

I'm looking forward to it, for the NHL of course but it will also be nice to check out Opie and Anthony a lot more. Over a few of the Stern vacations I spent a few weeks listening to them a bit more and have softened. I hope there is room for both shows once XM is no more.

underGRADFlame
05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I have to say now that I've had both XM and Sirius....... I prefer XM for the music stations at least. I miss Ethel.

Deelow
05-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Really hate to bump a super old thread but I did not want to start a new one. I want to get a satellite radio for my car but do not know which provider I want.

I do not know the difference between them. I one better for sports which I like. Any suggestions?
I've done Sirius for over a year but recently have used XM because of a trial in my new vehicle. I will take Sirius over XM for sure...but I am a Stern listener. It has been nice to have all the hockey on XM.

Engine09
05-14-2008, 10:59 AM
One thing about Satellite radio that I forgot to mention. With access to all of these channels from across North America you really, really begin to realize how hack and unfunny a lot of the FM "personalities" in this city are. I'm thinking about Jerry Forbes right off the bat, a guy who should be on some 1,000 Watt station in Peace River or Grande Prairie.

Boblobla
05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
One thing about Satellite radio that I forgot to mention. With access to all of these channels from across North America you really, really begin to realize how hack and unfunny a lot of the FM "personalities" in this city are. I'm thinking about Jerry Forbes right off the bat, a guy who should be on some 1,000 Watt station in Peace River or Grande Prairie.

HA, amen. Even the guys on the music stations are WAY better and much more entertaining.

The only normal radio I listen to is FAN 960 on the way to work and a bit of CBC. No more FM for me.

Mccree
05-14-2008, 03:06 PM
So I have decided to go wtih Sirius. My only questions is where is a good place to the car kit installed. I would rather no have it attached to my windsheidl like I see other people have. Future Shop?

Boblobla
05-15-2008, 03:36 PM
So I have decided to go wtih Sirius. My only questions is where is a good place to the car kit installed. I would rather no have it attached to my windsheidl like I see other people have. Future Shop?

it only comes with an hookup for your windshield or a heating vent so I am not sure where else future shop would put it tbqh. The only thing that they install is the antenna i believe and that is very mickey mouse to do.

Mccree
05-15-2008, 06:13 PM
So is it something I can do myself. I just do not want wires hanging everwhere.

Slava
05-15-2008, 08:32 PM
So is it something I can do myself. I just do not want wires hanging everwhere.

You can do it yourself. Future Shop does the same thing, only it looks a little prettier. I did mine myself and hid all of the wiring without too much trouble.

Hemi-Cuda
05-16-2008, 01:26 AM
You can do it yourself. Future Shop does the same thing, only it looks a little prettier. I did mine myself and hid all of the wiring without too much trouble.

i wired mine to the map light dash on my roof, stuffed the antenna wires up in that space as well and left just enough so the antenna itself can sit on my dash. works great, comes on automatically when i turn my car on and i don't have the ugly wires running to my DC outlet. looks better than any other "professional" job i've seen done by Futureshop or the like

Mccree
05-16-2008, 09:12 AM
i wired mine to the map light dash on my roof, stuffed the antenna wires up in that space as well and left just enough so the antenna itself can sit on my dash. works great, comes on automatically when i turn my car on and i don't have the ugly wires running to my DC outlet. looks better than any other "professional" job i've seen done by Futureshop or the like

Does this require alot of knowledge or tools. I want it to look good but do not want to spend alot. I would prefer to hide all the wires it possible?

Hemi-Cuda
05-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Does this require alot of knowledge or tools. I want it to look good but do not want to spend alot. I would prefer to hide all the wires it possible?

just soldering really, and unlike a circuit board like trying to mod an Xbox or something it's hard to screw something like that up. the only tricky part is finding the right connection to wire the radio into (one that's live only when the car is turned on), so a voltmeter is also needed

Mccree
05-28-2008, 04:56 PM
So I got this bad boy fired up pretty easy to do yourself.

Anyways what are some good stations? what does everyone listen to? I went with Sirius.

I like the 80's channel and some channel that I think is called "Super shuffle". Not sure why but I like the Nascar channel but I cannot get the NHL sports ticker to work? I can get the Nascar and NBA but not the NHL.