PDA

View Full Version : MLB Championship series picks

Sylvanfan
10-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Red Sox vs. Yankees

Love em or hate em these two are of the big's most recognizable franchises and they hate each other. I think an October series featuring these two rivals is as good as MLB gets. I'll take the Yankees to win in extra innings in the 7th game with some bizarre thing occurring to prolong the agony of the Red Sox.

Astros vs. Cardinals

I expect this to be a higher scoring series than the 93 series with the Jays and the Phillies. Both lineups feature several good hitters, but the Cardianls is just a bit better. Houston might have a slight edge in pitching, but it's not enough to overcome the Cards superior lineup. I'll take the Cards to win this in 5.

Jiggy_12
10-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Yanks and BoSox - I just hope for a helluva series. I don't care who wins, but I can't bet against the Yankees. I take the Bronx Bombers in 7.

Cards and Astros - Again, don't care who wins. I'll take the cards offense over the Astros pitching. Cards in 6

JiriHrdina
10-12-2004, 09:59 AM
I'll take the Yankees in 7. Extra innings in fact. More heart break for Sox fans.

And I'll pick the upset in the other seires. 'Stros in 6.

CrzyCanuck
10-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Boston in 7....to lose to the Cards who advance in 6. :lol:

transplant99
10-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Sox in 6...The Yankee magic starts to lose its grip THIS year.

Cards in 5...and by about 20 runs overall. No contest.

the_only_turek_fan
10-12-2004, 10:29 AM
I dont know much about the grand old game.

BUT, I am aware of the curse.

So Yankees in 7.

Also I will take Houston in 6.

Petite(sp?) and Clemens vs. Yankees. Should be a good World Series.

I love Baseball during the playoffs.

Iggy=Flames4ever
10-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Boston and New York - new york in 7 even though i hate them..but its going to be a great series like last year

Astros vs.Cards - I think the Astros are going to win, cardinals killed La but LA doesnt have the pitching that houston has so Houston is going to surprise them

world series

Yanks vs.Astros

troutman
10-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Cardinals in 6.

Red Sox in 6.

Jiggy_12
10-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by the_only_turek_fan@Oct 12 2004, 10:29 AM

Unfortunatley Pettite is out for the season. The Astro's would have a great chance with him, Clemens and Oswalt as the top 3. But Clemens and Oswalt are too over-worked.

Cheese
10-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Red Sox in 6

Cardinals in 6

nfotiu
10-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Sox in 4 (every pitching matchup favours the sox, their offense is better and their defence is better)
Astros in 7.

Mean Mr. Mustard
10-12-2004, 11:46 AM
I am thinking Sox in 6 and the Cards in 5.

browna
10-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Yanks in 5 or 6 in a ho hum series that doesn't live up to hype.

Cardinals in 5.

calgaryred
10-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Well i was 3 for 4 only making a mistake in the twins vs yankees series. I hate the Yankees with all my heart at the same time I love the Red Sox. I would love to see the Sox break the bambino curse. Still the Yankees are powerful behind the bats. I don't think the Sox are capable of out pitching them in a seven game series. So, I have to pick the Yankees in 6 slapping the faces of Red Sox fans in their own backyard. In the Astros vs Cardinals series I expect this one to go fast. The Cardinals are modelled to win this league easily. I see St. Louis taking out the wild card Astros in 5.

Pagal4321
10-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Let's see my increasing dislike for the Yankees will obviously affect my decsion.
I'm blinded by hate, but I still beleive this curse will be broken this year.

Sox in 7, Pedro will not be left in so long this time. Hell it might even be Schilling pitching in that game.

Oh my, Cards vs Astros, both have great bats but both do not have great pitching. Glad to see the Braves gone, but now the Wild Card boys will get the boot and quick. STL has a powerful lineup that will eat up the Stros pitching

Cardinals in 5. Pujlos comming up huge.

the_only_turek_fan
10-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Jiggy_12+Oct 12 2004, 10:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jiggy_12 @ Oct 12 2004, 10:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-the_only_turek_fan@Oct 12 2004, 10:29 AM

Unfortunatley Pettite is out for the season. The Astro's would have a great chance with him, Clemens and Oswalt as the top 3. But Clemens and Oswalt are too over-worked. [/b][/quote]
Hence, I dont know much about Baseball ;)

But, I love it come playoff time. Should be a good series opener tonight. I think I am going to watch it!

moon
10-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Yankees and Red Sox:

Pedro and Schilling are good but the Yankees seem to be the better "team" when the play-offs come around and Torre will out manage Francona when it matters most.

Yankees in 7

Astros and Cardinals:

I am a huge Cardinals fan so will be biased but I think the Cards are just too good for the asros to win this series. St. Louis has the better hitting, better overall starting pitching, better defense, better manager and much better relief pitching. Cardinals will be up 2-0 before either Clemons or Oswalt get an opportunity to pitch and win easily.

Cardinals in 5

habernac
10-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Sox in 7, hope it goes 20 extra innings so these guys beat each others' brains out. I hate the unlimited slary mentality of these two teams.

Cards in 6, the Astros pitching does well, but just can't overcome the unreal offensive power of the Cards.

flambers
10-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Yankees in 6, A-Rod continues to make clutch hits.

Cardinals in 6, Walker has a great series.

home_sweet_dome
10-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Went 4 for 4 in the first round, although I only really pay attention to baseball come playoff time.

This round things get interesting, but I like....

Red Sox in 7 vs. Yankees

Astros in 7 vs St. Lou

Red Sox are the better team this year, and as long as they get half the breaks they should find a way to end the curse this year. (I hate the Yanks by the way)

Cards got a much better bullpen and on paper should beat Houston but somehow, someway I'm saying the Astros find a way to get it done and make it an all-wildcard World Series.

calf
10-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Sox in 5 :woot:

'Stros in 6

Sylvanfan
10-12-2004, 05:31 PM
The curse on the Red Sox will come to an end in 2018. Until than we'll get to see the Boston media fire one Red Sox manager after another every offseason until they finally do beat the Yankees. The Red Sox at that point in time will be on their 20th manager in 20 years despite having a .616 winning pecentage over that span second best in baseball only to.....thats right the Yankees. I predict that the Yankees invite Steve Bartman to game 7 and give him seats by the Red Sox dugout. Bartman causes Mientkewicz to drop an easy foul out with 2 out in the bottom of the ninth, and on the next pitch Miguel Cairo launches the tying homerun into the second deck. Tanyan Sturtze than goes on to throw 4 perfect innings of relief, and Cairo again ends it with an inside the park homerun. The entire city of Boston melts down for three days until the next Sunday when the Pats win.

The Familia
10-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Gotta go with the Bronx Bombers in 6. Yankees are just to good, and have had a prolonged world series win drought (3 years, too long for the yankees).

I'll take the astros in an upset in game 6 over the cardinals...I don't like St.Louis...

Jiggy_12
10-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Mussina with a perfect game through 5 innings

Resolute 14
10-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Cardinals in 5.

I was going to take Boston in 7 before last nights game, but that was before I knew Schilling needed surgery, AND is going to sabotage game 5 by trying to pitch.

Officially, My prediction was Sox in 7. Now, Yankees in 6.

Resolute 14
10-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Umm... Make that Yankees in 5. :crap: