PDA

View Full Version : Let users change their thread ratings

SebC
11-26-2006, 01:38 AM
We've all seen threads been derailed an go straight down the toilet. We've also seen bad threads turned into gold by a single post. Why not let users change how they rate a thread in order to reflect that?

photon
11-26-2006, 08:38 AM
As far as I know this is already enabled; you should be able to change your rating of a thread as many times as you want. Of course if there are lots of other ratings on a thread already your change may not impact the visible rating.

SpitFire40
11-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Thread ratings suck... Someone's on a rampage lately and abusing them IMO.

Superfraggle
11-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Thread ratings suck... Someone's on a rampage lately and abusing them IMO.

Thread ratings are one of the best ways we have of preserving quality, IMO. If you don't want to read a crap thread, avoid ones with low ratings. If somebody rates a thread badly without cause, generally others give it a high rating to offset things. It's like the major/minor leagues discussion, only they're all on one page.

Personally I don't rate threads much (although maybe I should), but I appreciate knowing what I'm going into.

SpitFire40
11-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Thread ratings are one of the best ways we have of preserving quality, IMO. If you don't want to read a crap thread, avoid ones with low ratings. If somebody rates a thread badly without cause, generally others give it a high rating to offset things. It's like the major/minor leagues discussion, only they're all on one page.

Personally I don't rate threads much (although maybe I should), but I appreciate knowing what I'm going into.

Isn't that what Thread Titles are for?

Superfraggle
11-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Isn't that what Thread Titles are for?

Thread titles help, for sure. They can be pretty vague sometimes, though, and the original poster really has little control over what the thread might devolve into, no matter how good the original intention

SebC
11-27-2006, 03:21 AM
As far as I know this is already enabled; you should be able to change your rating of a thread as many times as you want. Of course if there are lots of other ratings on a thread already your change may not impact the visible rating.Okay that's odd. I tried in with this thread and indeed I was able to change my rating. Then I went back to the Fire and Ice forum, and I got the following message in a pop-up: "According to our records you have already voted on this thread. Changing votes is not allowed."