PDA

View Full Version : Vanier Cup-Laval vs. Saskatchewan

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
11-24-2006, 08:24 PM
So, with the Vanier Cup tomorrow, and the temperature supposed to be like -25*C or something close to that, who do you think will win, Laval is good, but Saskatchewan has an awesome running back in O'Gorman and with the cold temperatures it might be whoever has the best ground game will win.

My pick: Huskies all the way....

But should be an awesome game, a big rivalry between the 2 teams in the last couple years.

Not to mention the pro-huskies crowd at the game, being as it is in Saskatoon, look for the crowd to be the 13th man for the Huskies.

moon
11-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Tough choices Saskatchewan against Frenchies??? Is there any way they both could lose.

I guess while Saskatchewan fans are annoying at the CFL level they do deserve to see some team of thiers win sometimes and anyhting beats a bunch of frenchies winning.

Bench Warmer
11-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Laval's got a helluva a good team. It's going to be really cold for the game and that helps Saskatchewan alot IMO cuz the teams are going to have to rely on the running game more. I pick the Huskies in a squeaker.

troutman
11-25-2006, 03:27 PM
10 - 2 for Laval in the Third. Nothing is happening because it is too cold. If they are going to have this game out west, it has to be earlier in November.

habernac
11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Tough choices Saskatchewan against Frenchies??? Is there any way they both could lose.

I guess while Saskatchewan fans are annoying at the CFL level they do deserve to see some team of thiers win sometimes and anyhting beats a bunch of frenchies winning.

aww, too bad for you. The "frenchies" pulled it off.

Cheese
11-26-2006, 12:46 PM
10 - 2 for Laval in the Third. Nothing is happening because it is too cold. If they are going to have this game out west, it has to be earlier in November.

yep as much as I love my birth town, that was just a DUMB move to have that game there. Meanwhile its +14 in Suthn Ontario and Im sure as warm on the wet coast.
I dont care what anyone says...outside of Saskatonians I cant imagine anyone enjoying that fiasco.

Bobblehead
11-26-2006, 12:52 PM
It's good that they are trying to move the game around, but for a late Nov. game they must be reasonable.

The CIS always has their Men's BBall Final 4 championship in Halifax - is that going to move around this year?

RedHot25
11-26-2006, 12:59 PM
The CIS always has their Men's BBall Final 4 championship in Halifax - is that going to move around this year?

I think so. I am pretty sure that I heard that it is not going to be here in Halifax this year....

Bench Warmer
11-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I thought it was a great game. The cold is a part of football. Sure found this game a helluva lot more entertaining than watching more points put up in front of 2,000 people in Rogers Centre. It was just bad luck about the weather - the average temp for Saskatoon is -4 this time of year. Having it earlier would help though - I always thought they should have the Vanier a week before Grey Cup. Just makes more sense to me that way.

Cheese
11-26-2006, 03:54 PM
I thought it was a great game. The cold is a part of football. Sure found this game a helluva lot more entertaining than watching more points put up in front of 2,000 people in Rogers Centre. It was just bad luck about the weather - the average temp for Saskatoon is -4 this time of year. Having it earlier would help though - I always thought they should have the Vanier a week before Grey Cup. Just makes more sense to me that way.

the game was in Hamilton the last few years previous to this one...and did quite well. In saying that Football is NOT a cold weather game, but could be an all elements one. I find that comment very funny actually. It might happen in 1/100 of games played...but thats about it. You dont see the NFL saying lets play in Green Bay outside for the Superbowl.

Bobblehead
11-26-2006, 04:30 PM
No, but you can get some frigid championship games...

The Ice Bowl (http://www.packers.com/gameday/1967/12-31/)
With thermometer shuddering at 13 below zero and a wind chill of minus 46, Bart Starr scores ...

Although you are correct, they won't schedule a Superbowl in the north because of the elements.

Red Mile Style
11-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Yep, I thought it was a pretty decent game, despite the wrong outcome. Surprisingly, low scoring though...

But, regardless of how cold it was, it's important that all of Canada gets represented at Canadian-wide sporting events - I love that about the CFL, every year the Grey Cup moves across the country. Playing football at -20 sucks, but that's Canada for ya.

Yeah, it was bitter cold, but I heard there is going to be a bill introduced into the House of Commons next week that recognizes Saskatchewan as a nation within a united Canada.... so, you gotta please those Skatchys... :)

Bench Warmer
11-27-2006, 11:17 AM
the game was in Hamilton the last few years previous to this one...and did quite well. In saying that Football is NOT a cold weather game, but could be an all elements one. I find that comment very funny actually. It might happen in 1/100 of games played...but thats about it. You dont see the NFL saying lets play in Green Bay outside for the Superbowl.

True - football is an all elements game. And if it's a league based in Canada, you better prepare your team to be playing the cold when it counts (although, maybe not as cold as it was on Saturday).

As for the games in Hamilton and Toronto, sure the games were attended well (15-20,000) but that's only the game. Saskatoon turned the Vanier Cup into Grey Cup week type festivities with lots of events, lots of media coverage and 12,000 fans paying $50 a pop to see the game. I'm willing to bet they don't charge half that down east to see the game and probably give alot tickets away for free. This all results in more $$$ for the CIS. The smaller centres with strong college football presence treat the game with the national championship with prestige - not the second rate attention it gets in larger centres. I'll bet Calgary would put on a great show for the Vanier Cup which is worth risking the chance of some bad weather .

Flames in 07
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
True - football is an all elements game. And if it's a league based in Canada, you better prepare your team to be playing the cold when it counts (although, maybe not as cold as it was on Saturday).

As for the games in Hamilton and Toronto, sure the games were attended well (15-20,000) but that's only the game. Saskatoon turned the Vanier Cup into Grey Cup week type festivities with lots of events, lots of media coverage and 12,000 fans paying $50 a pop to see the game. I'm willing to bet they don't charge half that down east to see the game and probably give alot tickets away for free. This all results in more $$$ for the CIS. The smaller centres with strong college football presence treat the game with the national championship with prestige - not the second rate attention it gets in larger centres. I'll bet Calgary would put on a great show for the Vanier Cup which is worth risking the chance of some bad weather .

I don't think Calgary would put on a good show. Too many distractions, especially during the NHL season. Besides, at the best of times sports fans in Calgary are allergic to University sports.

goodyear
11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
i would love to go to saskatoon and watch the game in -25 C.

Bench Warmer
11-27-2006, 08:05 PM
I don't think Calgary would put on a good show. Too many distractions, especially during the NHL season. Besides, at the best of times sports fans in Calgary are allergic to University sports.

I think they might. It's not like it would happen every year - or even every 20 years so as a 'rare' event, I think Calgary would support it well. It may not be the hit it would be in a smaller locale, but it would be treated with more prestige than in Toronto.

Julio
11-27-2006, 08:16 PM
It's good that they are trying to move the game around, but for a late Nov. game they must be reasonable.

It's the Final 8 (or 10), and it's in Ottawa starting next year. It's in Halifax this year.