PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah my Cowboys rule!!!

JohnnyFlame
11-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Romo, Romo, Romo!!!!

With the great receiver corps the Cowboys have ALL it needed was a good QB to get them the ball and the results have been outstanding. Coupled with a good defense this team is looking good for making the playoffs this year.

Coming up next --a Battle with the Giants for first place.

Cheese
11-24-2006, 08:48 AM
You are a sick man JF...We will let you feel good for another week.

JohnnyFlame
11-24-2006, 08:50 AM
You are a sick man JF...We will let you feel good for another week.

Wait till my IRISH beat USC -- I'll be floatin on cloud nice then I'll tell ya!!!

Sylvanfan
11-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Actually with the offence the Cowboys have and McNabb now injured, and the injuries that the Giants defence has, I think you have to like Dallas to win the NFC East. I also think Tiki Barber and his retirement thing is really going to drag on for the Giants as they go forward too.

The way the NFC is shaping up I think Dallas and Carolina are going to be the two teams who end up battling for the right to play the Bears in the NFC championship game, and I belive Dallas will hold that tie breaker with the win over the Panthers.

JohnnyFlame
11-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Actually with the offence the Cowboys have and McNabb now injured, and the injuries that the Giants defence has, I think you have to like Dallas to win the NFC East. I also think Tiki Barber and his retirement thing is really going to drag on for the Giants as they go forward too.

The way the NFC is shaping up I think Dallas and Carolina are going to be the two teams who end up battling for the right to play the Bears in the NFC championship game, and I belive Dallas will hold that tie breaker with the win over the Panthers.

Yep and the Bears are mighty one dimensional and I would like Dallas's chances against them as well. Super Bowl?

Bobblehead
11-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Solid QB play - check
Dangerous WR corps - check
Strong Running Game - check
Steady Defense - check

Looks like a Parcells type team.
Now I hate the Cowboys (just on principle ;)), but you have to respect how they have come together.

Giants stole a couple games early, and with their injuries they are in tough. Eli really had a nasty late season swoon last year and appears to be on his way to doing it again. The NFC East is Dallas' for the taking.

Frank the Tank
11-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Every time I see Cowboys highlights I want to assasinate T.O. What an ass-clown.

Sylvanfan
11-24-2006, 09:53 AM
I know this is really going to get me hated, but the Cowboys were one of my favorite NFL teams when I was a young kid. Based on the fact that they showed Texas Stadium on the intro to the show Dallas that my parents used to watch after the Dukes of Hazzard.

Cowboys are probably still my favorite NFC team although the Jerry Jones vs. Jimmy Johnson spat did turn me off of them for awhile. Having guys like Vanderjagt and Owens still doesn't exactly leave me that warmed up to them. But you have to respect Bill Parcells.

Offensively the Cowboys have three guys who are good receiving threats in Glenn, Owens and Jason Whitten. They have good running backs in Marian Barber, and Julius Jones as well. Tony Romo does move around well and their O-line has a lot more confidence.

I don't know if I'd call them a superbowl team yet, but with the way the rest of their division and conference are trending, I wouldn't count them out either.

NFC is pretty interesting though after the Bears. Dallas, Carolina, New Orleans all have teams that can explode and put up points in a hurry.

mykalberta
11-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I will say this, Romo has a gun and a half, my god that arm is amazing.

Rolls right and when most QB float one in he guns it 35 yards.

Good Golly Miss Molly, the NFC has found their Superbowl representative.

MYK

moon
11-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Romo is playing well above his ability right now but even if he comes back down to earth a bit the Cowboys have the talent and the NFC is weak enough that they might be able to make the Super Bowl.

I think Chicago is much better and a healthy Seahawks and Giants teams are better as well. But the Cowboys are certainly among the 5-6 teams that could make it from the NFC.

Displaced Flames fan
11-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Yep and the Bears are mighty one dimensional and I would like Dallas's chances against them as well. Super Bowl?

I'm with you.

I think the Cowboys will represent the NFC.

Displaced Flames fan
11-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Romo is playing well above his ability right now.

How do you know that?

That's an awfully bold statement and I don't think it is accurate.

moon
11-24-2006, 07:58 PM
How do you know that?

That's an awfully bold statement and I don't think it is accurate.

I guess it is possible that Romo is the second best QB in the league right now by a small margin behind Manning. (Although with his numbers yesterday could move ahead of him)

I have a hard time believing that Romo is this superstar that couldn't beat out Bledsoe, was passed over for good reasons by other teams and now is playing at his actual level. It is possible but most likely he is an average-above average guy who is on a hot streak and has things working for him.

He could be the best QB in the league but I would bet on him being the average player he has shown to be in the past.

Sylvanfan
11-24-2006, 08:05 PM
I guess it is possible that Romo is the second best QB in the league right now by a small margin behind Manning. (Although with his numbers yesterday could move ahead of him)

I have a hard time believing that Romo is this superstar that couldn't beat out Bledsoe, was passed over for good reasons by other teams and now is playing at his actual level. It is possible but most likely he is an average-above average guy who is on a hot streak and has things working for him.

He could be the best QB in the league but I would bet on him being the average player he has shown to be in the past.

Didn't Tom Brady spend a couple years sitting on the bench watching Bledsoe, than come off in week 7 and lead his team to the Superbowl?

moon
11-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Didn't Tom Brady spend a couple years sitting on the bench watching Bledsoe, than come off in week 7 and lead his team to the Superbowl?

Hey its possible that Romo is that good. I just think it is unlikely.

Plus I think Brady is the most overrated player in the history of the NFL but that is a whole other argument.

I am a fan of the Detroit Lions and with all our trouble if someone told me we got Romo as our QB tomorrow I can't say I would be all that excited. Maybe it turns out he is the next great thing but I find it highly unlikely.

Philly06Cup
11-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Damn, I hate them Cowboys, but gotta admit they do look good. As long as they don't actually *win* the Superbowl, it won't be that terrible though. Don't write off the Seahawks just yet though -- With Shaun Alexander healthy again, they are still a great team.

Eagles have a tough schedule left (3 division games, + Colts, Panthers, Falcons), so I've pretty much resigned on the fact of them making the playoffs. Hopefully Jeff Garcia proves me wrong though.

ben voyonsdonc
11-25-2006, 03:53 AM
He could be the best QB in the league but I would bet on him being the average player he has shown to be in the past. Exactly how many passes did Romo have before this season? How can you say that he has shown to be an average QB when he hasn't had the chance to show anything until this year? I haven't completely bought into Romo yet but I haven't seen any fatal flaws that the opposition could exploit. However, for the first time since a couple of years before Aikman left the Cowboys actually have hope. Bledsoe was a temporary band-aid solution and I think his acquisition really could have stunted the growth of the team. Thank goodness Parcells decided to pull the plug on the Bledsoe experiment and see what Romo could do. However, I doubt that if Romo didn't have 3 years to prepare for the NFL that he would have been as good as he appears to be. He isn't an extraordinarily gifted QB (physically) and having the time to learn the Cowboys playbook and the NFL game really gave him the confidence to go out there and prove himself. If he was thrown in to the role of Dallas Cowboys QB in his 1st or 2nd year, I think he would have been another Quincy Carter because confidence would have been crushed as I don't think he has the physical skills to overcome the pressure of the tremendous leap from Division 1-AA football at Eatern Illinois to "America's Team."

transplant99
11-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Teams the Cowboys have beat (Washington, Tennesee, Houston, Carolina, Arizona, Tampa and Indy) are a combined 29-42 on the season. tow of those teams have a winning record at all.

They have lost to Jax, Philly, Giants, and Washington...combined 20-20.

They have been playing well of late no question, and Romo looks good....but he still hasnt seen a really good defense as of yet.

I wont annoint them elite staus just yet...but certainly part of the mix.

moon
11-25-2006, 05:04 PM
By past I mean college, the fact that it has taken him this long to beat out an awful Drew Bledsoe etc.

Displaced Flames fan
11-25-2006, 05:12 PM

Are you kidding me?

The guy hasn't taken a snap in the NFL before the 6th week of the season. Was he an average player at Eastern Illinois? Was he an average player in high school in Wisconsin?

He hasn't shown anything but an ability to be an above average starting QB in the NFL. It's early in his career to annoint him the next big thing but you're speaking as if this guy is a career backup playing out of his gourd. Not true.

Displaced Flames fan
11-25-2006, 05:14 PM
By past I mean college, the fact that it has taken him this long to beat out an awful Drew Bledsoe etc.

an awful Bledsoe who will probably end up in the HOF.

I don't think it was as much about Romo as it was about Parcells believing in Bledsoe.

moon
11-25-2006, 05:20 PM
an awful Bledsoe who will probably end up in the HOF.

I don't think it was as much about Romo as it was about Parcells believing in Bledsoe.

If he makes the HOF it certainly will not be because of his play in Dallas.

Displaced Flames fan
11-25-2006, 05:59 PM
If he makes the HOF it certainly will not be because of his play in Dallas.

Definitely not!:)

Bobblehead
11-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Re:Bledsoe

I know the NFL lets more people into the hall, but is Drew really worthy?

Displaced Flames fan
11-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Re:Bledsoe

I know the NFL lets more people into the hall, but is Drew really worthy?

His numbers say he is. He's in the top 10 in virtually every passing category.

No position is more penalized for not winning it all than QB though...and Drew's ring came largely courtesy of Tom Brady.

Bobblehead
11-25-2006, 06:27 PM
His numbers say he is. He's in the top 10 in virtually every passing category.

No position is more penalized for not winning it all than QB though...and Drew's ring came largely courtesy of Tom Brady.

Yeah, good point. I just always saw him as the prototypical pocket passer, and one who's role hasn't seemed to fit in the league since that one big year in Buffalo.
I know he was great early in his career, but just hasn't seemed to have the HOF defining moment. The Art Monk of QBs.

(I wonder. if there was a team with a strong O-Line that could hold a pocket would Drew put up big numbers again, or has he just had too many sacks and throws the ball away when he feels pressure?)

(now I'm thinking I should have started a new thread - sry JohnnyFlame)

Displaced Flames fan
11-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah, good point. I just always saw him as the prototypical pocket passer, and one who's role hasn't seemed to fit in the league since that one big year in Buffalo.
I know he was great early in his career, but just hasn't seemed to have the HOF defining moment. The Art Monk of QBs.

(I wonder. if there was a team with a strong O-Line that could hold a pocket would Drew put up big numbers again, or has he just had too many sacks and throws the ball away when he feels pressure?)

(now I'm thinking I should have started a new thread - sry JohnnyFlame)

Yeah, I agree with your Bledsoe vision. I think he could be effective behind an elite pass blocking OL, but I would submit this theory....there aren't any. I think the evolution of the pass rush in the NFL has been so great that OL's haven't been able to compensate. I think in the NFL today you have to be mobile or have a lightning quick release or both. Bledsoe has neither.

Bobblehead
11-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I agree with your Bledsoe vision. I think he could be effective behind an elite pass blocking OL, but I would submit this theory....there aren't any. I think the evolution of the pass rush in the NFL has been so great that OL's haven't been able to compensate. I think in the NFL today you have to be mobile or have a lightning quick release or both. Bledsoe has neither.
You are dead on. There are so many blitzing schemes taking advantage of lighting fast LBs the pure pocket passer must think and throw in a heartbeat (like Manning or Bulger). Was it the Tampa 2 with their smaller, lightning quick LBs that signalled the end?

JohnnyFlame
11-25-2006, 10:15 PM
You are dead on. There are so many blitzing schemes taking advantage of lighting fast LBs the pure pocket passer must think and throw in a heartbeat (like Manning or Bulger). Was it the Tampa 2 with their smaller, lightning quick LBs that signalled the end?

Yeah I'm thinking the tub of lard 330 lb linemen is too slow for the position now. Even if only 30lbs of that is fat. Time for some quicker O lineman. Dallas's O-line is certainly not the team strength but Romo's quick release almost makes that a non-issue.