PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports?

kn
10-11-2004, 03:33 PM
I've tried to get into other sports but can't seem to. I thought I was a sports fan but it's becoming more clear that hockey is head and heels above everything else.

I think my biggest problem is that if the team isn't based in Calgary, I can't develop any sort of attachment to it.

CFL... I would say I'm a casual fan. I occasionally listen to the games and get my information from the Fan960. Unfortunately, the CFL still has a "second tier" feel to it. The roster turnover doesn't help. I haven't watched a full game but have listened to a few. I probably will watch the Grey Cup.

NFL... Who to root for? I used to pull for Flutie in Buffalo and then Garcia in SF. With Jeff now in Cleveland, I guess it's not as sexy as the 49ers. Boerighter had a good year with KC but I can't say I'm anxious to watch any games. I haven't watched any all year. I usually just watch the Superbowl.

MLB... I was a bangwagon jumper during the World Series of the Blue Jays. After 94, I unconsciously turned away from baseball. The McGwire/Sosa battle did nothing for me, nor did Ripken's record. I can't stand Bonds and still feel Ruth holds the home run record - he'd probably hit 100 if he had science on his side. /rant off Anyway, the game is just too boring and slow now. I haven't watched a game this year and probably won't start now.

NBA... I can appreciate the athletic talent but I really hate the personalities in the game. I thought when Vancouver and Toronto got teams, one of them would catch my eye but it never did. The last basketball game I actually watched was when Jordan was still with the Bulls.

Soccer... I do like the international tournaments but can't get into the club competition. I used to watch the early Saturday matches from the premiership but again, the lack of any attachment to a particular team makes me say, Who cares?

College sports... Even worse. I can't think of anything more boring than watching Jackscratch State vs. Jackscratch College. I don't care about the CIS so I'm not going to start rooting for American universities and colleges.

So to you guys who like multiple sports, supporting teams from everywhere outside of Calgary, how do you do it? I suppose gambling is a way to make me care about the outcome of a game.

JiriHrdina
10-11-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't really need to have a team to root for to enjoy a sport.

MLB - I've been a die-hard Jays fans since well before the world series and remain loyal to them now. However, I can watch any MLB game - I really enjoy how different the game is from most other sports in terms of the pace.

NFL - I don't have a team in the NFL at all. There are some teams I casually root for but typically I just enjoy watching the games regardless of who's involved.

NBA - I'm a Rockets fan but as mentioned in another thread I found I couldn't cheer for them when Francis was there. However I still watched loads of NBA games, again just enjoying the sport itself.

I guess for me when it comes to following other sports its less about the teams involved and more about enjoying the athleticism and competition of the games.

Jiggy_12
10-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by kn@Oct 11 2004, 03:33 PM

I can't stand Bonds and still feel Ruth holds the home run record
Which record would that be? the all time record? Which belongs to Hank Aaron? Or the single season record? In which he is 5th place, behind Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, and Maris.

On to the topic at hand - Baseball playoffs are holding me over for now. I am hockey starved, but as much as I love hockey, I love baseball just as much. October is my favorite time of year for sports. Hockey is starting (or is supposed to) and the MLB playoffs are on.

kn
10-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Jiggy_12+Oct 11 2004, 03:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jiggy_12 @ Oct 11 2004, 03:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kn@Oct 11 2004, 03:33 PM

I can't stand Bonds and still feel Ruth holds the home run record
Which record would that be? the all time record? Which belongs to Hank Aaron? Or the single season record? In which he is 5th place, behind Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, and Maris. [/b][/quote]
I guess it's just nostalgia and the illogical conception that "things were better in the past."

Maris had 8 more games to get that 1 HR that gave him the record so with differing number of games in the schedule, it's hard to give Maris the outright record. It's the same as if Crosby got 93 goals in 90 games played - did he really beat Gretsky's record?

As far as Bonds, McGwire and Sosa, I don't see their records as legitimate because I am of the opinion (and it's just my opinion - I'm not looking for a flame war as I don't have much emotional investment in baseball), that they use/used performance enhancing substances. With Caminiti's recent demise, his earlier claims about the rampant use of steriods, and the Balko investigation, there are just too many questions for me to see Bonds, McGwire or Sosa as the single-season HR champion. The mere appearance of impropriety casts a shadow on the sport for me.

Pagal4321
10-11-2004, 07:41 PM
I can see where your comming from that because it's not a local tema can't rally behind em. But I just can't DO without some type of sport to follow.

MLB - I'm a Jays fan at heart, but if there pitching doesn't get fixed up they are going no where. I just hate the Yanks and the Braves, anyone going against them I want to win.

NFL - Love it, only started to watch 3 years ago. Fantasy is what drew me more into it, now I just love it, it's right up there with hockey. I saw Culpepper in his phenominal rookie year and have been cheering for Vikes ever since. It's really quite hard to keep up with everything since your team is across the border, but sites like CP but for the Vikes is what does it for me. Only bet on NFL, it makes you follow it that much more.

NBA - Still can't imagine having to watch this while hockey is non-exsistant. But guess I have to, like the Mavs....not too sure how. Hopefully with being in a basketball pool this year I will get more intrested, but really just don't like watching b-ball.

CFL - I can get into because we have a home team, this year has been tough but still fun all the same. Still some things confuse me since I'm such an avid NFLer, so some rules still confuse me.

Soccer - An Arsenal fan for a few years now, but it's WAY too hard to keep up with Soccer. I mean it's on ANOTHER CONTINENT, and watching those premiership games on sportsnet at 8AM on sunday just can't be done. I follow through news reports and whatnot. When international tournies come up I tend to follow them closley.

I don't know how I keep up with all these sports, but I just can't picture myself not going to espn or tsn in a day. I guess that makes me a sports whore.

Resolute 14
10-11-2004, 07:48 PM
I'll watch just about anything other than golf, figure skating and basketball, but I only follow the NHL, WHL, MLB and the NLL with regularity.

Inferno
10-11-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty much only a hockey fan. Every other sport I find boring.

RogerWilco
10-11-2004, 08:09 PM
I love football as a second to hockey. It is kind of hard to compair NFL to CFL. The NFL does have the best players but the games are so different it doesn't seem to matter. I have been to a bunch of Broncos games and I am a Stamps season ticket holder. All I know is I enjoy the games here in Calgary as much as I enjoyed the games at Mile High (or investco field at mile high, whatever they call the new one).

snowdude
10-11-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm a CFL and NLL fan....and CIS but thats it. I can't feel conected to any of the other major leagues because the "Canadian" team is in TO and i don't like them and i just can't get ramped up for NFL games...

calf
10-11-2004, 10:32 PM
CFL - Love it. Love the stamps, love the game, love the sport.

NLL - fun for a night out, but I can't say I follow it

NFL - I'll watch if I'm bored on a Sunday, but doesn't excite me (well, the commercials on Super Sunday do). No connection with a team is what kills it for me.

MLB - during playoffs, or if it's a close game near the end, or if a team's rallying from behind

NBA - never watch it - can't stand watching BBall on TV...I'm sure it's fun live

Golf - Yea, I'll watch a few rounds

Tennis - If it looks like an exciting match I'll watch

KootenayFlamesFan
10-11-2004, 10:42 PM
I root for the Jays, although it's starting to get tough lately.

Really started to follow the Pittsburgh Pirates closely this year, since Jason Bay is from the same area as me, and had a great year. Hopefully he'll be the first Canadian to win Rookie Of The Year. If he wasn't hurt at the beginning of the year, he would have crushed the rest of the field, but he is probably still the leading candidate to win, although playing on a terrible team may affect his chances.

Other than that, it's pretty much all hockey for me.

Calgary Flames
10-11-2004, 10:52 PM
NFL -Seahawks because they are the closest NFL team to Calgary. But I can watch any game that's on.

CFL - Garbage, watered down league, stupid rules.... JUNK

MLB- Playoffs only, actually the World Series only.

NBA - I used to watch alot, but not recently, I may watch more now since there is no NHL hockey.

nik-
10-12-2004, 05:51 AM
MLB: love baseball ... love it. Born in Ontario, use to live the Jays since I was young, watched every game I could. No longer a Jays fan. The day they traded Shawn Green I knew they weren't committed to winning and I never really got over them trading my favourite Jay. I'm now an Astros fan, even though it's hard to follow them from Calgary. I have no hate for the Yankees cuz I like watching good teams play. I'm REALLY looking forward to this Sox Yankees series.

NFL/CFL: Can't stand football. Too slow. The action is good when it happens there's just too much waiting between it. I also can't stand how the players celebrate like they just cured cancer after every tackle or 2 yard gain.

NBA: 4th place behind hockey, baseball and rugby. Caught a game in Cleveland last season, saw LeBron and Kevin Garnett play ... that was pretty neat.

Rugby: love rugby.

the_only_turek_fan
10-12-2004, 10:37 AM
NFL - I am a make belief NFL fan. I only watch casually. Its not a Sunday ritual for me like others. I am a Cowboys fan when I do watch, going back to the days of beating Buffalo every year in the Super Bowl.

MLB - I jump on this bandwagon in the Fall. I love MLB playoffs, becauase the games mean something, and every staduim is packed. None of this game #101 on a Monday afternoon in front of 10,000 people. In the playoffs its prime time. I love it when a home team hits a HM, and the whole place goes nuts. When I do watch I cheer for the Atlanta Braves.

NLL - Now I know how Americans feel about Hockey.

NBA - Again, I watch in the playoffs. I dont really know much about this league. I used to be a Bulls fan when Jordan and Co. where around.

CFL - I used to love it when Wally and the Stamps ran the league. Now I am not so into it now that they suck. I used to really really love this league. Damn those Eskimos and Lions!!

I am all NHL, and after the big PO run, I am craving for the new season to start. If the Flames win or lose, I am with them. No leaving this bandwagon. I have been on it since I have been 5-6, and I am not leaving!

calgaryred
10-12-2004, 12:52 PM
The first sport i ever fell in love with was the CFL. I started to cheer on this sport in grade one. So that would have been in the 1977 season. This period of my life I was living in St. Albert so I cheered on the Eskimos. I watched this team win 5 in a row and saw some great players dawn the green and gold. I cheered on the Eskies until the 86 season. With the Stamps and the S.O.S campaign I took an interest in the organization and ended up falling in love with them. Besides i found it weird cheering on the Esks when i hated the Oilers with a passion. Since then I've cheered on the red and white and will do so forever.

The Flames were the second team I cheered for. I took an interest in them around 1982/1983. Hockey didn't really become my favorite sport until 1985. I liked the Islanders because I admired Mike Bossy, John Tonelli and Brian Trottier. Still my favorite team was the Flames. I loved the battle of Alberta in the 80's and I still foam at the mouth when I think about those Oiler teams.

I used to love the NBA. In fact in 1984 it was my second favorite sport. I loved watching the Lakers play the Celtics. Larry Byrd against Magic Johnson. I followed the Lakers throughout the eighties. During the spring I was religiously watching both hockey and basketball. No wonder my grades sucked! As the 90's started and the Jordan and the Bulls craze started I thought the league changed too much. It wasn't the league I loved it had become a giant marketing machine for hip hop videos. Everyone was Jordan this and Bulls that and eventually I tuned out and never came back. I haven't watched and enjoyed NBA basketball since 1990.

I never watched MLB until around 1982 but I never really watched a full season until the 1985 one. It was cool cause I cheered on the Blue Jays from game one straight to their first American League East pennant. After that I always watched baseball games in the summer. I was a hard core Jays fan until 1999. I was getting sick of Toronto based teams. Either it was the Leafs or the Raptors Toronto sports was taking over every freaking sports headline. So instead of cheering on the Jays I slowly began doing the opposite. Now I cheer on baseball's favorite losers the Red Sox and Cubs. Still my passion for baseball has dropped from a 10 to a 2 since around 1996. I can't say it's a sport I'm passionate about anymore.

I never really followed the NFL. Not because I have a CFL is better attitude. It's because I cheer on a local team in the CFL and have a hard time finding any team in the NFLI want to support. I admit I like the underdogs and if I had to pick one it would be the Seahawks. Still I like 3 down football cause the ball changes from team to team alot faster. In NFL teams hang onto the ball forever. I usually only watch the Super Bowl and even then I rarely watch a full game.

The only sport I have not watched is the NLL. I know Calgary has a championship team. Still it kinda reminds me of roller hockey. It's like hockey but it's not. So, I guess being similar to the better sport in the world doesn't interest me. Now that there's a lockout I may change my mind. Go Roughnecks!

evman150
10-12-2004, 07:25 PM
I used to be a bigger baseball fan than hockey fan, but boy has that changed. I haven't watched a full game in five or more years. I've played the game at a high level, but I just don't find it that exciting anymore. My passion for the game has lessened when it comes to playing as well. I guess it's because I just haven't gotten that much better over the years. It's tough to see guys you've played with for years who had the same skill level for years suddenly have their development accelerated and get drafted or go off to a decent school on a full scholarship. I guess it just turned me off baseball.

I hate football. Boring as anything. Cfl is a bit better than nfl because there is not as much running the ball (BORING!), but both are like watching paint dry to me.

I've never watched an NBA game on tv from start to finish. Too much scoring, gets very monotonous. I've been to a few Grizz games, and the experience isn't that much better. Basketball is a very poor live sport.

I like lacrosse. I've only played it recreationally, but it's fun to watch on tv. It attracts me the same way hockey does, only to a lesser level.

I like watching the majors in golf. I've golfed quite a bit in my life so I can appreciate the things these guys do.

Tennis is good when hot chicks are playing. That's about it.

Not a sport, but they do play it on tsn/espn, is poker. I love watching poker on tv. I could watch it all day.

Edit: Forgot about soccer. I think soccer is better forgotten. I'll leave it at that.

sbailey924
10-13-2004, 09:52 AM
NFL: Grew up loving it. Still do (IMO, it's the easiest league to get into a game without caring about either team)

NBA: Couldn't care less. Lots of my friends despised the Lakers...I really didn't care at all.

MLB: Again, I grew up playing baseball. I loved Ripken as a kid, so I still root for the Orioles (if you can call it that). Kind of lost touch with it in the last few years, though.

NLL: NAH

Soccer: Try to follow Rangers and Borussia Dortmund for some reason. Try to.

College: Anything Vols. Football here is so intense. SI On Campus rated us the best college football game experience in the country--easy to see why if you come here for a game. In basketball, we have a freshman girl who can dunk (out with ACL this year, but I see her in the math building three times a week). She's the one that won the McDonald's High School dunk contest last year.

Ro
10-18-2004, 01:29 PM
It's not a lot of fun for me to watch a sport without having one team that I root for 100%, so I understand where you're coming from.

But for me, in the NFL, I just went with the team that sparked my imagination and made me wanna keep watching them play- the Miami Dolphins, under Dan Marino. Wow, what a player to watch. The reason why I love Miami, and the NFL, so much today.

But for baseball and basketball, I agree with you. I guess I'm fans of the Toronto teams, but in those cases, I don't love the sports as much, so it's hard to develop enough of an interest to even pick a team to root for and stick with through thjick and thin.