PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers

corporatejay
11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
I just wanted to hear people's opinions on something.

I just heard the guy on CBS say "Packer nation holds their collective breathe" as Brett Favre was being carted off the field with an elbow injury.

My question is this, would it be such a bad thing for Brett Favre to have this injury and be done for the season and possibly his career?

Is Packer nation really holding it's breathe or are they secretly happy?n

Don't get wrong I never wish injury upon anyone but Favre HAS to retire, the only reason they brought his back this year is because they feared he might look elsewhere and seeing Favre in another uniform is just unconscienable.

Truth is, the guy has to know when to leave, and that time is now. They have a GREAT prospect in Aaron Rodgers, the kid has to start, the Packers are rebuilding and aren't going anywhere this season, give the kid some snaps.

Flames in 07
11-19-2006, 12:43 PM
That team is running in qucksand until they turn the page on #4. Dude is a compeditor and has been great to the game, and great to his team ... awhile ago, but it is time to move on.

Displaced Flames fan
11-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Brett Favre is the ONLY reason that team isn't already eliminated from the playoffs.

He's had an outstanding year. He can still play at a very high level and is better than 65% of NFL starters right now.

So, yeah, it would be a bad thing for the Packers.

Pagal4321
11-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Brett Favre is the ONLY reason that team isn't already eliminated from the playoffs.

He's had an outstanding year. He can still play at a very high level and is better than 65% of NFL starters right now.

So, yeah, it would be a bad thing for the Packers.

While that is true, there is pretty much no chance for any team in the NFC North to make the playoffs. This is a GOOD thing for the Packers in the long run but a bad thing for the team this year. They were llooking like they were coming on strong, but Aaron Rodgers will set them back.

At least now they can see if Rodgers is a decent starter (which I don't think he is), so they know what to do with the QB position in the offseason.

From a Viking fan standpoint....Aaron Rodgers is NOT the answer at QB, they were forced into taking him because he fell so far.

I would be intersted to hear Packer fans discuss this.

Flames in 07
11-19-2006, 12:48 PM
BF is not the only reason they are in the hunt ... that is rediculous.

The defence is much better this year, they beat Minnesota last week with a suffocating defense and LB blitzs that were killing B Johnson, Donald Driver's speed and Oline protection had a little to do with it as well.

Packers need to turn the page, not sure if half way through the 06 season is the best time, but he does have to go.

Displaced Flames fan
11-19-2006, 12:57 PM
BF is not the only reason they are in the hunt ... that is rediculous.

The defence is much better this year, they beat Minnesota last week with a suffocating defense and LB blitzs that were killing B Johnson, Donald Driver's speed and Oline protection had a little to do with it as well.

Packers need to turn the page, not sure if half way through the 06 season is the best time, but he does have to go.

Their defense might be much better, but its still horrendous.

I don't think Favre is done unless the injury dictates that. If that's the case I am sure there are a dozen teams that would love to add him for a couple of years.

Flames in 07
11-19-2006, 01:04 PM
I doubt it, and even if there were a dozen, all 12 would be teams that are rebuilding and have no prospects to develop.

BTW, I saw them last weekend and the defense is not horrendous. It was suffocating.

Displaced Flames fan
11-19-2006, 07:00 PM
I doubt it, and even if there were a dozen, all 12 would be teams that are rebuilding and have no prospects to develop.

BTW, I saw them last weekend and the defense is not horrendous. It was suffocating.
ah yes, as it has been all year.:rolleyes:

1 game a defense does not make. Especially when its against the juggernaut that is the Vikings offense.

transplant99
11-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah...anyone who suggests that the GB defense is anything but awful, hasn't watched them very much.

They have had a couple good games, but todays result is more indicative of their collective abilities than a win against the Vikings.

As for Favre...why the hell shouldnt he be playing exactly?

17th in passer rating, 9th in TD passes, 7th in passing yards, 13 Tds against 7 INT's (less than E. Manning, Grossman, Roethlisberger, and Brady among others). Those are all very good stats.

At least now they can see if Rodgers is a decent starter (which I don't think he is),

Based on all those games you have seen him as a pro i am guessing?

And no, Aaron Rodgers doesn't HAVE to start for GB too see how he is. He can learn alot by being behind Favre for a couple seasons.

Seems to me it worked out allright for that Rivers guy in San Diego when he watched Brees for a couple years before starting....no?

Displaced Flames fan
11-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Seems to me it worked out allright for that Rivers guy in San Diego when he watched Brees for a couple years before starting....no?
and countless other examples.

Sylvanfan
11-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Didn't Brady also sit on the side lines for two years watching the game and learning, same thing for Joe Montana. Rogers can wait and watch Favre for another half season without ruining his development.

Flames in 07
11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
For every Rivers or Brady there is a dozen other guys that nobody has heard from again. Farve is a bit of a mirage in that he has had some great years but he does have about half a dozen game per season now where he just blows up and becomes a pick machine as he tries to force every pass. They will never be elite again until they turn the page ... like I said mid season may not be the best time, but this offseason would be fine.

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
11-25-2006, 10:37 AM
While that is true, there is pretty much no chance for any team in the NFC North to make the playoffs.

:huh:

I have a hunch the Bears will be in the playoffs since division winners automatically qualify.

Pagal4321
11-25-2006, 02:27 PM
:huh:

I have a hunch the Bears will be in the playoffs since division winners automatically qualify.

I meant outside the Bears...should have mentioned that.
The Vikings, Packers and Lions have 0 chance of making the wild card or winning the division.