PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State vs. Michigan

tripin_billie
11-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Is anybody else extremely pumped for this monumental Game?

Saint Troy
11-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Should be great! Though it will be interesting to see how Michigan reacts to the loss of Schembechler, a massive figure in Michigan football.

tripin_billie
11-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah, that will be interesing. I get the feeling it would be like Woody Hayes, if he were still alive, dying today. I'm not sure how Columbus, Ohio, and OSU would take it.

Hopefully it doesn't get Michigan charged up though.

troutman
11-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Will there be any forward passes?

socalwingfan
11-17-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm going on a hunch and picking Michigan with the upset.

Sylvanfan
11-17-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm going on a hunch and picking Michigan with the upset.

Well before the passing of Schembeckler I wouldn't have thought so...but that might just inspire the hell out of Michigans guys to play the game of their lives.

OilersBaby
11-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I think Ohio State will win and represent the conference at the Rose Bowl....

tripin_billie
11-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, found out today that I officially have tickets! WOOT!!!!!!

corporatejay
11-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Well, found out today that I officially have tickets! WOOT!!!!!!

wow, that's going to be sick, I assume you're a buckeyes fan?

corporatejay
11-18-2006, 02:03 AM
I think Ohio State will win and represent the conference at the Rose Bowl....

is that how that works?

i'm pretty sure whoever wins goes to thet champsionship game and whoever loses goes to the rose bowl.

Wranglers110
11-18-2006, 03:58 AM
Deservedly the most hyped American sporting event since Lennox Lewis/Mike Tyson fought in boxing. If I were working while this were on, I would call in sick.

socalwingfan
11-18-2006, 08:22 AM
is that how that works?

i'm pretty sure whoever wins goes to thet champsionship game and whoever loses goes to the rose bowl.

Correct - Winner goes to the Championship game and loser probably ends up in the Rose Bowl

tripin_billie
11-18-2006, 08:53 AM
wow, that's going to be sick, I assume you're a buckeyes fan?

Yep. The moment that I see the Best Damn Band in the Land, I'm going to be so freaking pumped. Then, when coach Tressel runs to boys out onto the field. Dman, I'm already beyond excited. Gotta shower, and get down to the campus.

O - H !!!!!!

tripin_billie
11-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Deservedly the most hyped American sporting event since Lennox Lewis/Mike Tyson fought in boxing. If I were working while this were on, I would call in sick.

Yep, I think the whole city of Columbus is shut down. I pitty bus drivers and food servers. At least the food servers will have the game on TV.

Flames in 07
11-18-2006, 10:46 AM
O! H!

transplant99
11-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Pullin for michigan....but think OSU wins easy.

If OSU loses, and USC wins out....they will be the concensus pick for the Championship game opposition to the Wolverines.

Hakan
11-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Go Buckeyes.

Here's a wikipedia article on 'The Game'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan-Ohio_State_rivalry

socalwingfan
11-18-2006, 12:48 PM
I not only think Michigan is going to win - I think they are going win by quite a margin

Antithesis
11-18-2006, 01:59 PM
That was quite the opening drive but Ohio State is hitting them right back.

Flames in 07
11-18-2006, 02:04 PM
this has the mading of a classic so far ... need to see more pressure in the UM backfield though.

Antithesis
11-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Man, it'd be incredible to be there. I saw USC/UCLA years ago, but this would be on a different level.

Flames in 07
11-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Man, it'd be incredible to be there. I saw USC/UCLA years ago, but this would be on a different level.

I'll be watching the winner of this game in 6 weeks ... probably playing your team.

transplant99
11-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I not only think Michigan is going to win - I think they are going win by quite a margin

Oops.

corporatejay
11-18-2006, 04:17 PM
I'll be watching the winner of this game in 6 weeks ... probably playing your team.

You mean the winner of Cal and USC....

transplant99
11-18-2006, 04:24 PM
You mean the winner of Cal and USC....

Cal wont get into the championship game...pretty much whatever happens with them from here on in.

corporatejay
11-18-2006, 04:27 PM
agreed, but he said UCLA, I think he meant the Cal/USC game.

I think that Hart is going to be in the CFL one day, what a great back, too bad he's only 5"9 so no one in the NFL will look at him.

tripin_billie
11-18-2006, 06:40 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O - H!!!!!!

I - O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from the game. Most amazing sporting event I've ever been to. I'll post picks later!

"How firm thy friendship..... O .... HI...... O!"

corporatejay
11-18-2006, 09:51 PM
someone explain to me how notre dame is ranked so high?

they got spanked by Michigan in their own barn and haven't beaten anyone.

I don't think trouncing "army" should really count as a monumental victory.

The only way the Irish get in is if Florida falls flat on its face and they beat SC....if they weren't Notre Dame they wouldn't even be top ten.

....edit: and if Arkansas loses to LSU.

Flames in 07
11-18-2006, 10:11 PM
agreed, but he said UCLA, I think he meant the Cal/USC game.

I think that Hart is going to be in the CFL one day, what a great back, too bad he's only 5"9 so no one in the NFL will look at him.

No, "This" game was OSU vs UM.

Flames in 07
11-18-2006, 10:13 PM

The only way the Irish get in is if Florida falls flat on its face and they beat SC....if they weren't Notre Dame they wouldn't even be top ten.

I'll field that one.

Because the polls are 2/3 of the overall ranks. And well, the polls are insanely stupid. People are enamoured with ND and its history. ND is rank to high, and on any given Saturday is ranked to high and overrated.

They have had a relatively soft schedule this year, there is no reason for them to be ranked this high.

I'm a big believer that the SEC is and always is the toughest conference in football, I'd like to see OSU play the winner of Florida - Arkansas in the desert.

Flames in 07
11-18-2006, 10:14 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O - H!!!!!!

I - O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from the game. Most amazing sporting event I've ever been to. I'll post picks later!

"How firm thy friendship..... O .... HI...... O!"

Haaang on Sloopy, Sloopy hang on
O!
H!
I!
O!

Second best song in college bowl next to Rocky Top.

moon
11-19-2006, 05:14 AM

Because they are better than everyone they are ranked higher than and better than Florida.

Florida is not a top five team and probably not a top ten team. They have a brutal offense and have squeaked by some bad teams.

Notre Dame gets some high rankings some years but this year they deserve their ranking and maybe deserve to be higher.

The SEC is not good this year. There best team lost to USC at home 50-14. No way should a SEC team get in over the winner of USC/ND or Michigan.

corporatejay
11-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Who has notre dame beat?

look at their schedule, it is so soft.

Flames in 07
11-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Who has notre dame beat?

look at their schedule, it is so soft.

Yep, the other reason polls are awful is that SOS is not in anyone's consideration.

BTW can we all put the Big East is an elite conference with national championship consideration to bed? Their fearless leader, Rutgers gets bounced by ... wait for it ... wait for it

CINCINATTI BEARCATS.

Maybe the Big East can merge with C-USA and create a "Super MidMajor"

octothorp
11-19-2006, 02:52 PM
I'll field that one.

Because the polls are 2/3 of the overall ranks. And well, the polls are insanely stupid. People are enamoured with ND and its history. ND is rank to high, and on any given Saturday is ranked to high and overrated.

I'd agree with that, except that this year it's not just the polls, the computer ranking portion also has them very high. I think Jeff Sagarin's rankings are a much better indicator of where teams actually belong (ND at tenth). The BCS computer rankings are usually the same as the ELO Chess (wins/losses ranking system) portion of Sagarin's rankings, but don't give weight to points differential, which, Sagarin notes on his site, has been proven to be more accurate.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm

Sylvanfan
11-19-2006, 03:01 PM
I personally don't think Michigan did anything yesterday to suggest that they aren't the number 2 team in the country. They went into the number one teams barn and lost by 3 points. This number one team also happens to have knocked off the number 2 team on two different occasions as well. So I'd say it's safe to suffice that OSU is a very good number one team and that Michigan should be the number 2 team still.

Flames in 07
11-19-2006, 03:24 PM
I personally don't think Michigan did anything yesterday to suggest that they aren't the number 2 team in the country. They went into the number one teams barn and lost by 3 points. This number one team also happens to have knocked off the number 2 team on two different occasions as well. So I'd say it's safe to suffice that OSU is a very good number one team and that Michigan should be the number 2 team still.

I have 2 problems with Michigan at #2.

Firstly, why play the regular season game if they are just going to have a rematch in a few weeks? Part of why I hate the playoff idea is that it will wreck the regular season as we know it. If there is even a 4 team playoff the OSU vs Michigan game would have been completely a waste of time.

Secondly I don't see what Michigan did to gain this much respect. They got worked, and OSU is the reason UM was in it in the second half. They absolutely handed UM 10 points with two awful snaps. They won by 11, and gave them 10, which to me suggests that UM was 21pts inferior to OSU.

They had their chance. Next!!

Antithesis
11-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't really have any problems with Michigan at #2 as things stand right now, but I think it would be a shame if USC didn't get the other bid should (when) they beat ND. Then again, I have an obvious bias.

corporatejay
11-20-2006, 02:23 AM
I don't really have any problems with Michigan at #2 as things stand right now, but I think it would be a shame if USC didn't get the other bid should (when) they beat ND. Then again, I have an obvious bias.

Unlike flames in 07?!:P

I agree, if SC beats Notre Dame and UCLA then they should be in the national championship, BUT.... if they lose to Notre Dame, then it should be Michigan.

Michigan went to Ohio state and lost by 3 points, there is such thing as home field advantage, wouldn't you want to see these two teams play it out on NEUTRAL ground to see who the real champion is?????

JohnnyFlame
11-20-2006, 10:57 AM
To me Michigan had their shot and missed it. Tough luck. USC and Notre Dame is a game featuring two top six teams. Winner should get a shot at Ohio State.

J pold
11-20-2006, 11:02 AM
I hate the Luckeye’s as much as anyone, but its really not fair to them if there is another rematch all Michigan as to do is split against them to win the national title and Ohio State has to go 2-0

Sylvanfan
11-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I hate the Luckeye’s as much as anyone, but its really not fair to them if there is another rematch all Michigan as to do is split against them to win the national title and Ohio State has to go 2-0

So lets say Notre Dame and USC play a game that ends in a tie. Than who gets the shot at OSU?

Wasn't the whole idea of a playoff format to have the two best teams in a championship playoff game? Pittsburgh Steelers went 1-1 against Indianapolis yet they were the team that won the Superbowl.

I think home field merits something and any fan like Flames 07 will put on his home goggles and think his team should have won by 60 points but made a few bad plays that resulted in a 3 point game. Fact is Michigan went into a tough barn and found a way to stay in that game against what is the obvious number one team. If USC doesn't walk into South Bend and Pummel Notre Dame, or at least win the game looking good, than I think Michigan is next in line and deserves antother shot.

If Ohio State is that good, they should be able to win the second game when all the marbles are on the table.

The only way Notre Dame deserves a shot is if they beat USC like 35-0. Other than that I don't know how you could say they're better than Michigan when Michigan went into South Bend and handled them.

J pold
11-20-2006, 12:19 PM
^^
Its no doubt to me that Michigan is the second best team in the country but its like Jim Teresal (sp?) said its all what the voters decide, if they want the second best team to play OSU than they will vote Michigan but if USC can run the table and really beat down Notre Dame than they are the most deserving team and you have to vote them in, they only really ugly scenario is if the UCS wins over Notre Dame but by only a slim margin 3 pts or less, I mean Michigan went into south bend and smacked the Irish in the mouth

troutman
11-20-2006, 01:57 PM

Why is it not fair? The Luckeyes got MICH at home. The result could be different in a neutral site.

Flames in 07
11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Sylvan it's not homer goggles ... what does backing OSU have to do with your belief of who should be #2?

To me, if USC wins out they deserve the shot, they did everything everything UM did buy having 1 blemish on the record and beat ND (again if they do) Shutting USC out seems unfair.

If USC has a second loss AND Florida wins the SEC then they deserve the shot, they would have 1 blemish on a very tough schedule.

I just don't get why everyone is so passionate about Michigan, they are one of many teams with a loss ... and they have proven they can play with OSU ... it was a 3 point game, with a useless TD at the end and OSU just handed them 10 pts.

Go USC!!! and we don't have to deal with the mess and the anklebiters from Michigan.

Antithesis
11-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Yes, go 'SC :D

Fight on!