PDA

View Full Version : Stamps Fire Steve Buratto

flambers
11-10-2006, 12:33 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=183657&hubname=

Very interesting move by the Stamps. I wonder who will be the next offensive coordinator.

Cheese
11-10-2006, 12:35 PM
So Buratto takes the fall for Burris's incompetance?

flambers
11-10-2006, 12:37 PM

I guess one of them had to go....... There are so few quality QBs out there the Stamps are stuck with Burris so they better find an Offensive Coordinator that can work with him.

Bench Warmer
11-10-2006, 12:38 PM

Interesting scapegoat indeed. If anything, I thought Creehan might be on the hot seat a little. Two questionable defensive schemes led to two TDs by the Riders in the semi-final.

Shazam
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
So Buratto takes the fall for Burris's incompetance?I'm still hoping Burris goes too.

Both of them had to leave. It became very clear during the season that Buratto's schemes weren't working and that the players had difficulty with his overly-complex schemes.

It wouldn't surpise me to see at least a couple of receivers gone soon.

Pagal4321
11-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Burris is not going anywhere...he will be here until 2008. At least that's my opinion. When he's good, he's really good....but when he's bad (like the playoffs), he's just hideous.

I just don't see them getting rid of Burris because who the hell are they going to replace him with?
Printers won't come back to the CFL, he probably has a good shot at making the Cheifs roster next year.
Dickenson? No thanks.

troutman
11-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Chevy and Nasty were quite candid on thier show this week on Fan 960. They hinted at some real bad attitudes and cliques in the dressing room. Anyone know more about that?

http://forum.gostampsgo.com/showthread.php?t=5873

Shazam
11-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Burris is not going anywhere...he will be here until 2008. At least that's my opinion. When he's good, he's really good....but when he's bad (like the playoffs), he's just hideous.

I just don't see them getting rid of Burris because who the hell are they going to replace him with?
Printers won't come back to the CFL, he probably has a good shot at making the Cheifs roster next year.
Dickenson? No thanks.If they can't find a replacement, he's still here. I'd speculate though if they can find someone, he's good as gone.

Too bad Jim Barker can't find a QB to save his life.

flambers
11-10-2006, 01:22 PM
As for the QB debate.... the fact is who is better than Burris and is readily available?

Dickenson - - -- Is really expensive and is injury prone
Printers - - -- I bet he stays in the NFL.
Maas - - - - Had a tough year, would rather have Burris

If I had my choice the Stamps need to find a quality QB backup that will push Burris for the #1 job. Wally has done this perfectly in BC.

calf
11-10-2006, 01:27 PM
If they can't find a replacement, he's still here. I'd speculate though if they can find someone, he's good as gone.

It's too bad that the CFL in general can't find great QBs regularily. BC and Edmonton are the only teams I can really think of that have been successful in recruiting the next great young QBs.

I think Burratto's lack of imagination & lack of a good, solid game plan around ball control did him in. I don't disagree with the move, but I'm more concerned about the next OC, and how he'll be able to adapt to Hank's Strengths and Weaknesses (assuming Burris is back - which, imo, is 50-50 at this point).

Pagal4321
11-10-2006, 01:29 PM
(assuming Burris is back - which, imo, is 50-50 at this point).

50-50? Really? IN all seriousness if we get rid of Burris, who do we bring in to replace him. Because there's no way this team is better with Danny Mac as a starter.

calf
11-10-2006, 01:50 PM
50-50? Really? IN all seriousness if we get rid of Burris, who do we bring in to replace him. Because there's no way this team is better with Danny Mac as a starter.
given the backlash of the fans, as well as some of the post game comments, there's some doubt in my mind if the organization think Hank's the guy to take them to that next level - that's one 50. There's no one in our system that can really take over, you're right (which is the other 50). If Hank is deemed not to be that guy, I could see Barker trying to swing a trade (part of the first 50). It will be tough with the SMS kicking in, however.

I dunno - I don't think anything will surprise me this off season.

flambers
11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
given the backlash of the fans, as well as some of the post game comments, there's some doubt in my mind if the organization think Hank's the guy to take them to that next level - that's one 50. There's no one in our system that can really take over, you're right (which is the other 50). If Hank is deemed not to be that guy, I could see Barker trying to swing a trade (part of the first 50). It will be tough with the SMS kicking in, however.

Who would Barker trade for thats the key question? I can see no-one in the East and in the West only BC has two quality QBs that would be of interest but Dickenson is a risk due to his health.

In my opinion the Stamps and Burris are stuck together. The only option is to try to find a gem out there somewhere and hopefully Barker can sign him.

Shazam
11-10-2006, 02:11 PM
It's too bad that the CFL in general can't find great QBs regularily. BC and Edmonton are the only teams I can really think of that have been successful in recruiting the next great young QBs.Yup. I've always regretted the firing of Buono. I'm fairly certain it wasn't Roy Shivers that found the QB gems.

Bench Warmer
11-10-2006, 02:14 PM

Another factor weighing in on this is that I think TO will be looking for a QB as well. And to be honest, Hamilton might be willing to shop Maas and Berry in Winnipeg has never really fully endorsed Glenn. I think the potential is there for a bit of QB carousel this year (Dickenson will go to TO IMO, Allen put to pasture) but I don't think it'll happen. I just can't see the Stamps not bringing back Burris next year - I don't think there's a better option out there unless there's a trade...

worth
11-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Yup. I've always regretted the firing of Buono. I'm fairly certain it wasn't Roy Shivers that found the QB gems.

Buono was pretty much run out of town by F-Troop. If we actually had decent management at that time, things would probably be different.

Shazam
11-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Another factor weighing in on this is that I think TO will be looking for a QB as well. And to be honest, Hamilton might be willing to shop Maas and Berry in Winnipeg has never really fully endorsed Glenn. I think the potential is there for a bit of QB carousel this year (Dickenson will go to TO IMO, Allen put to pasture) but I don't think it'll happen. I just can't see the Stamps not bringing back Burris next year - I don't think there's a better option out there unless there's a trade...There's no guaranteed contracts in the CFL, so if Dickenson is going to be moved, Calgary would be his first choice IMHO. The Stamps would simply release Burris.

Buono was pretty much run out of town by F-Troop. If we actually had decent management at that time, things would probably be different.Don't get me started on those assclowns :censored:

JiriHrdina
11-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Bah. Color me unimpressed with this decision and somewhat surprised. I think Buratto is a great offensive coordinator and put his guys in a position to excel. I'm certain it wasn't in his playbook for "Hank" to repeatedly throw of his back foot into triple coverage.

Boo. Not impressed at all. Whenver the Stamps start to get me back as a fan, they do something that just pushes me away.

JohnnyFlame
11-10-2006, 03:02 PM

No he takes it for his crappy playcalling. Guy never utilized what they have and his playcalling in that semi-final was brutal. But yes you are right Burris ain't the answer but I would think you keep him while getting two replacements in waiting and then midseason he is adios.

JohnnyFlame
11-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Buono was pretty much run out of town by F-Troop. If we actually had decent management at that time, things would probably be different.

Yep all this talk of no replacement for Burris is out and out hogwash. Buono always seems to manage to have 2 and even 3 capable QB's. Bring in two guys and have them up to speed by mid-season. Then move Burris for help elsewhere.

browna
11-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Not that I like the decsion, Burrato's a good football mind, but the offence rarely dominated out there, like it should, with decent talent. Not entirely the coached fault of course, but...

Then, last Sunday, you can blame Burris if you want, but look at the play selection. How many times did the Stamps go over the top with passes?
Maybe twice.

In the first half it was too much running IMO, and in the 2nd, too much forced passing...and out routes and things through the middle. With the speed an size of some of our receivers, a proper mix of running, setting up our recievers for 1 on 1 routes, would have been better idea. Burris was throwing into double coverage, and again, on in or out routes because there was no threat of run...

Ultimately, thats the result of the play selection that Burrato makes up.

Burrato's part of a top coaching staff, and the way Creehan supposedly reacted last year about not getting a promotion, egos are probably involved, too.

Plenty to share the blame around...Burrato takes the easiest fall.

calf
11-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Who would Barker trade for thats the key question? I can see no-one in the East and in the West only BC has two quality QBs that would be of interest but Dickenson is a risk due to his health.
I dunno - Bench Warmer alluded to the fact that there could be a bit of a carosel next season. I don't see Burris for Dickenson happening - 1) Dickenson is Wally's guy, 2) They're going to have to throw money at Buck Pierce since his contract is up, I believe. I doubt Jarious Jackson makes his way here too, unless he's released by BC; maybe he could push Burris, I don't know.

Burris for Maas? Both didn't meet expectations, and a fresh start could be in order for both guys.

But I dunno - those seem like the only real possibilities if something happens...but the more I think of it, the more it looks like status-quo.

Would they fire Burratto & cut Burris in the same off season?

CaramonLS
11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
One name I haven't seen mentioned is Calvio. He might also be on the hot seat with Jesse Palmer arriving in MTL.

In all honestly, I'd take Maas or Dickinson in a heartbeat over Burris. He is over 30 and still has the head of some college freshman when it comes to reading defenses.

This is the same story each and every year, he has and will always make bad decisions. He hasn't shown any sort of learning curve.

He'll outright win you a game or he can **** one away. That is precisely what he has done in the last 2 west semis. There is absolutely no consistancy in his play.

With the talent on this team we need someone who is consistant, might not electrify you like Burris at times. Maas could be that guy. Dickinson could be an absolute god sent to this team if he can stay healthy. I think we have a better O-Line than BC has so that might help somewhat.

Bobblehead
11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Chevy and Nasty were quite candid on thier show this week on Fan 960. They hinted at some real bad attitudes and cliques in the dressing room. Anyone know more about that?

http://forum.gostampsgo.com/showthread.php?t=5873

I heard some of it, but not that part.

The part I heard was Petrie saying how there was no clear direction from the coaches and how some players were being told different things by different coaches. There didn't seem to be one person that the buck stopped with. To which Chevy & Nasty said "He's really not pulling any punches" (but I noticed they didn't disagree, while with other opinions they were more than willing to disagree).

I also heard Chevy and Nasty say this was a great lockerroom, one of the best they had. There will never be one where everyone loves everyone else, but this was the closest. Must have tuned in after the clique part ( I didn't hear any of the bleeps the linked thread mentioned, so I imagine I missed a lot; I tune in on the way home after 4:30)

JohnnyFlame
11-10-2006, 04:17 PM
I heard some of it, but not that part.

The part I heard was Petrie saying how there was no clear direction from the coaches and how some players were being told different things by different coaches. There didn't seem to be one person that the buck stopped with. To which Chevy & Nasty said "He's really not pulling any punches" (but I noticed they didn't disagree, while with other opinions they were more than willing to disagree).

I also heard Chevy and Nasty say this was a great lockerroom, one of the best they had. There will never be one where everyone loves everyone else, but this was the closest. Must have tuned in after the clique part ( I didn't hear any of the bleeps the linked thread mentioned, so I imagine I missed a lot; I tune in on the way home after 4:30)

I got from listening to it that it was a fun locker room but not one where they were on the same page and pulling together as a unit to win. Plus the coach's would have preferred they act one way but did nothing about it is just weird. Who is running the dang team? I thought Sandro's comments were revealing when he said they lacked a winning attitude(paraphasing).

Every challenge that team faced they flopped.

Thunderball
11-10-2006, 04:50 PM
To me... this smacks of the need for a scapegoat, coupled with the likely desire for Danny McManus to retire into coaching. Expect him to be named Offensive Coordinator.

As for Burris... right now, any decent QB would be an upgrade. If a guy can't win big games, he's not a good QB. Period.

I posted this in a different topic, but the likely teams for a trade that I see are Montreal, Hamilton, Toronto and BC... most notably Dickenson, Maas, Calvillo, Brady or Jackson. I also floated the idea of attempting to lure Garcia for big coin.

STAMPEDRED
11-10-2006, 05:29 PM
As for the QB debate.... the fact is who is better than Burris and is readily available?

Dickenson - - -- Is really expensive and is injury prone
Printers - - -- I bet he stays in the NFL.
Maas - - - - Had a tough year, would rather have Burris

If I had my choice the Stamps need to find a quality QB backup that will push Burris for the #1 job. Wally has done this perfectly in BC.

haha thats funny!

Wally has done a perfect job of this for what 16-17 years, subtract of course the whole stupid frederick son crap that screwed us "right up the pooper"!

That is what is mising for our QB is quality competition. Sure we had McManus, but he's old and really didn't spark much in his limited playing time this year with us anyway!

I think that is where Buono always had success cause every year he had QB controversy more often than not. When we won in 98, people weren't always pleased with Garcia, and it was the two of them together trading places every quarter that pulled them into the grey cup game!

If we would do that and not have to listen to "it will wreck Burris' confidence" to put McManus in at least for a couple series than give it back to burris, it would make, sorry, force him to become a better QB and also learn to not take it so hard like he did in that one bad loss this year.

Character Development is what it is called and it would more than likely do wonders for him in the long run!

...If we somehow get Maas, than oh boy! None of what i mentioned above will work! We'd probably be lucky to not be fighting for the cellar with the EE next year!

STAMPEDRED
11-10-2006, 05:41 PM
If they can't find a replacement, he's still here. I'd speculate though if they can find someone, he's good as gone.

Of all the people that should be gone, I would say Jim Barker should be on the top of this list!

He made terribly decisions as a headcoach/gm?? in '03!

Who cuts Anderson, a team player, for L Philips, a classic clown and got a bit more yardage and did push well enough to win the job, but nobody wants to play for or with???

Barker does!

He has found some amazing talent in the past two years I'll admit, but I don't think always having a better guy ready to step in at a moments notice does any good for a team trying to come together when you are nervous about your job the very same day if you make one blunder!

I think it was Sheldon Napastuk that said it on their show on Wednesday that there is only one other guy that has been on the Stamps D with him since he got there in '03! That is too much turnover! Even with Buono there wasn't that much turnover! I remember one year him cutting a veteran mid-way through the season to send a message, but otherwise veterans, veterans, veterans were the core group with little change from year to year! How does your team not finish 1st or 2nd each year?? And it sure worked again for him this year!

Anyway, I'm probably off on a few things there, feel free to correct, sorry if I am!

Besides that, GO LIONS!! Dickenson deserves a Cup if for no other reason!

Flames in 07
11-10-2006, 11:08 PM

Well ... maybe. We'll see what happens to Burris. However from 10 years of coaching ball I'd suggest that it is very difficult, especially for fans that don't have alot of direct experience of the game, that it is hard to see if Burris problems were a function if bad coaching or good coaching and bad playing.

I thought Burrato game him a game plan to lose in the first few games, and at the end of the season.

Having said that, I think Burris is the most talented physically yet the least capable mentally QB in the CFL, you really have to simplify his reads, especially at the beginning of the game and let him build up his confidence throughout.

OzSome
11-11-2006, 04:59 PM
I was surprised with this move. I thought of all the assistant coaches, Creehan would be the easy scapegoat for someof his controversial moves in defense. Oh well I guess Buratto would be the best fall guy for me because it doesn't look like the Stamps will get rid of Burris now. I think Burrato did well except he was not using Reynolds a lot late of the game. Reynolds could have run away with rushing titles if he was being used properly.
As for the replacement, I heard they would like to bring George Cortez back. He will eventually become a head coach someday so Higgins might not like that idea. Chapdellaine (or whatever is name is), I am not a big fan of. I am not sure if he is the reason why BC offense is that good. I say Buono got something to do with it. Maybe Barker will step down to become an offensive coordinator. He was good when he was in Montreal. Besides, I was puzzled on why Higgins did not mention Barker when he was explaining the reasons for firing Burrato.

Bench Warmer
11-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Just FYI but it's being reported the Stamps will talk to Riders o-line coach George Cortez for their open OC position. It's rumoured he'd also be a candidate for the Riders HC position...should it become open...

calf
11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Just FYI but it's being reported the Stamps will talk to Riders o-line coach George Cortez for their open OC position. It's rumoured he'd also be a candidate for the Riders HC position...should it become open...
I have no doubt that Cortez would make a great HC for the Riders...but that might upset the natural order of things in the coaching ranks, would it not? Tommy Condell or Richie Hall might be vying for HC...I could see Cortez becoming OC at that point.

However, with the Stamps he'd also become "associate head coach" (read: we're throwing more $$$ at you). Not sure what might come of this...

It should also be noted that the Esks asked to speak with Cortez, but were denied. wdf?

Bench Warmer
11-17-2006, 09:19 AM
I have no doubt that Cortez would make a great HC for the Riders...but that might upset the natural order of things in the coaching ranks, would it not? Tommy Condell or Richie Hall might be vying for HC...I could see Cortez becoming OC at that point.

However, with the Stamps he'd also become "associate head coach" (read: we're throwing more $$$ at you). Not sure what might come of this...

It should also be noted that the Esks asked to speak with Cortez, but were denied. wdf?

I don't think Condell would be considered for the Riders HC if/when it becomes open. He's only been an OC for one year (I think he was the QBs coach in Ottawa). Hall would definately be considered IMO but he might leave if Danny leaves. Also, he's a 'nice guy' and may be considered too much like Danny which may also work against him.

As for the Edm thing, maybe Cortez rejected it??? Cortez has ties to Calgary so maybe he's narrowed his choices of down of where he wants to be. It is a little bit of a noodle scratcher.

Other CFL-Stamps note, Maxie retired today - I believe he's staying on with the Stamps though in some capacity.