PDA

View Full Version : Henry Burris better not be a stamp next year!

SunshinesDad
11-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I wasn't sold on Burris when the Stamps signed him in the first place and I think this year proves that he is way too inconsistent to be a starting quarterback. I don't think Higgins has done a great job coaching this year (sitting critical defensive players during the year, and staying with Burris today even though it is clear that he is terrible).

I am a big Stamps fan and it is incredibly embarrasing to see Burris destroy our team and to see a defence that for the most part can't stop the run and has been bad all year against the pass.

Barker really has a lot of work to do in the off season!!!!! Hopefully his first move is to trade away Henry Burris!

return to the red
11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
amen to that, Burris blows

Winsor_Pilates
11-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, he really sucks. I don't care too much about football, but I feel bad for those who are true Stamps fans.
I would be ****ed at Burris

Saint Troy
11-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Burris can't read a defence to save his life, and this organization has to go in another direction.

Bertuzzied
11-05-2006, 05:34 PM
The stamps will never win a playoff game with Higgins as coach. Burris sucks too when it counts.

I hate it when he blames the receivers after every incompletion.

CaramonLS
11-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Pray that Printers comes back from the NFL? Pick up the loser of the Calvillo/Palmer battle? Maybe Maas gets cut? See if you can get Dickinson or Pierce?

Might be some options, but I cannot see Burris being back here.

Hakan
11-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Wow Burris sucked big time. That was terrible.

troutman
11-05-2006, 05:44 PM
3 picks and a fumble. Burris can't be back. Dave Dickinson might be available.

LockedOut
11-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Burris is overpayed junk. 2 playoff games, 0 TD's and 5 INT's plus at least a fumble that shouldn't have happened. Don't stand up on a 1 yard drive dumbass, get low.

JiriHrdina
11-05-2006, 05:54 PM
He has to stop throwing off his back foot.

really though it doesn't matter. At this point he's done it enough that this is simply who he is. Doesn't make good enough decisions out there. I would be surprised if he is back.

Resolute 14
11-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Well, this is two years in a row Burris literally threw away easy wins against inferior opposition.

Champions step it up when it matters most. Burris falls apart.

OILFAN #81
11-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Burris really isn't good at football, plain and simple.

On a couple of the INT's he didn't have to throw the ball but just threw it to the Riders defense when the Stamps recievers were not in the picture. As Grant said, he also needs to stop throwing off his back foot. I don't think he will be back, Stamps need a good QB, the rest of the team is decent as is.

Mccree
11-05-2006, 06:03 PM
On the bright side. This is the same time last the Flames turned it around. Stamps blow the west semi and Flames go on a tear.

SaskaBushFire
11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Go Green!!!!

Rubber Ducky
11-05-2006, 06:45 PM
The stamps will never win a playoff game with Higgins as coach. Burris sucks too when it counts.

I'm not really sure I agree with blaming the coaches. To me, this game was all Burris' to lose.

He said afterwards on the radio that he needs to make smarter decisions with the ball. Well, he's been saying that all year.

People who don't learn from their mistakes never will.

I think this game will be Burris' legacy. And what a way to end - a hail mary in the end zone for the final play, and it's picked off. Poetic.

:confused:

Red Mile Style
11-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Ha ha, to think, Burris once belonged to Saskatchewan until you guys stole him away. :p

As much as Burris is junk, I don't think it's not entirely his fault. I mean, Higgins pulled a bunch of experienced vetrans and juggled the lines around. This probably would be alright - in the regular season, but during the playoffs, that's suicide.

There were 5 turnovers - three didn't come from Burris, plus there seemed to be a bunch of penalties that also killed the Stamps. Plus, the calls seemed to be favouring Calgary, especially that one fumble early on that was ruled incomplete and that blatent face-mask.

Anywho, ha ha stupid Stamps! Let's go Riders!!!!! Wooooooooooo!!!!

Bench Warmer
11-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Okay - I know I've been hamming it up a bit with the Riders win but this is in all seriousness.

When Burris was with the Riders, he was probably my favorite player. I was bitter when he left for the Stamps - probably still am. But when he signed with the Stamps, I said on here that Burris is either really good or really bad. There just doesn't seem to be an in between with the guy. I was worried today cuz he's usually really good against us - but he was back to his old self. Bad decisions and just a bad game. It reminded of the LD Classic in 2004 - Burris probably had the worst game I've ever seen of a Rider that day (and we've had some bad games in the past).

That said, I believe he will be with the Stamps next year. He's the Stamps guy - plus, he just signed an extension through 2009. What the Stamps brass will look at is what he can POSSIBLY do when he's on. And I don't think he'll be turfed because of this one. He was absolutely great for the Riders in the 2004 WF when McCallum missed the 18 yarder so it's not like he's bad all the time in the playoffs...

Caramel
11-05-2006, 07:22 PM
No he is bad, he constantly leads the league in INTS, Burris must got, if not I will never ever purchase tickets to a stams game again.

Shazam
11-05-2006, 07:23 PM
He'd better be gone. There's no guaranteed contracts in the CFL so they can just cut him loose.

You know what his main problem is? He wants to be a hero. It's not good enough for him to just do a low risk, high percentage play. Nope, he's gotta have the drama. He's gotta make the great play. Too bad he doesn't have the talent or the brains to execute.

As for Higgins, I'd keep him and sack Buratto.

flamesaresmokin
11-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Up until this game i was a big burris fan, but he was flat out brutal. It wasn't blown routes except maybe one pick. I'm hoping we can swing a trade and get a more composed qb in here for next season. He just threw the ball away and made poor decisions. Either team would have lost to the lions anyhow so no big loss here.

calf
11-05-2006, 07:39 PM
The thing is, who out there would be able to step in and replace Burris? There's no quality free agent QBs, as far as I know. I don't think I'd want to bring in a hot rookie or former NFL'er to start. The only possibility (and this is such a small possibility), is to pick up one of the guys in BC, because there isn't enough room for Buck Pierce, Dave Dickenson, and Jarius Jackson...

btw - what a brutal game. Quite embarassing.

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
11-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Sweet, thank you Burris, knew you had it in you, thanks for the win. Good luck next week....wait, there is no next week for the stamps, haha, Go Riders.

Bench Warmer
11-05-2006, 08:09 PM
The thing is, who out there would be able to step in and replace Burris? There's no quality free agent QBs, as far as I know. I don't think I'd want to bring in a hot rookie or former NFL'er to start. The only possibility (and this is such a small possibility), is to pick up one of the guys in BC, because there isn't enough room for Buck Pierce, Dave Dickenson, and Jarius Jackson...

You're right calf. This is a major reason why I think Burris will be back with the Stamps. There's no way BC will trade a QB to a western team and their the only ones who may have one to spare. If Printers comes back, I expect him in TO. They need a QB worse than anyone (except Hamilton maybe...).

Shazam
11-05-2006, 08:30 PM
If Jim Barker was actually doing his job, we'd would've had a cople of QBs waiting in the wings.

Burris isn't leading us anywhere but to sub-par seasons.

pope04
11-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Three picks and the (alleged) fumble aside, the play that stuck in my craw was the second down play late with the Stamps down by nine. Needing two scores, Hank was scrambling and had a ton of room - he could've probably run for 10-15 - but instead he threw the ball out of bounds in the endzone. Then Sandro missed the ensuing field goal. Hasta la vista.

Sinfire
11-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Compared to what we had before, Burris has been a great addition to the stamps team. He just folded under the pressure today. What I don't understand is that if your QB is having problems moving the ball, why not put McMannis in. He may be old, but he is a veteran that is capcble of settling the team down.

I wasn't sold on Burris when the Stamps signed him in the first place and I think this year proves that he is way too inconsistent to be a starting quarterback. I don't think Higgins has done a great job coaching this year (sitting critical defensive players during the year, and staying with Burris today even though it is clear that he is terrible).

I am a big Stamps fan and it is incredibly embarrasing to see Burris destroy our team and to see a defence that for the most part can't stop the run and has been bad all year against the pass.

Barker really has a lot of work to do in the off season!!!!! Hopefully his first move is to trade away Henry Burris!

Sinfire
11-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Wasn't there a play in the second half where the stamps were 3rd and something. And instead of kicking a fieldgoal, they went for the gamble and lost. It is plays like that, that the coach gambled on and lost.

calgaryrocks
11-05-2006, 10:18 PM
yeah that was ridiculous, if it wasnt for the returns we werent really in the game, burris had one good drive but that was it, that play just before the missed fieldgoal(what a time to miss for such a great kicker) where burris had room to run on 2nd down but threw to the endzone and it wasnt really catchable really upset me, then the missed field goal. brutal, i really hope they trade him to toronto or ham for...a bag of footballs?? thing is they would need to find another qb and none of the 3 they have are allstars. burris had a decent season but the stamps did so well in the season because of joffrey and he fumbled today, so the stamps had nothing:bag:

OzSome
11-05-2006, 10:30 PM
He should stop going for the homerun all the time. What's wrong with throwing short passes. He should also learn when to take off (forward) and when not. For some reason we have 4 good receivers who are capable to beating every DBs in the league and we also have 2 capable RBs but Burris never utilize them properly.
Burris was not only at fault here. There are some bad decisions by Stamps defense as well. Stupid and bad penalties for being too aggressive cost them a touchdown before the end of the first half and that also gave the Riders momentum.
I can also blame coaching staff here and questioned why the heck Burris was still playing in the 4th quarter while we have a veteran backup QB in Danny Mac. I can see Stamps using Creehan as a scapegoat here by firing him. Mind you, i questioned some of his personnel moves this season anyways.

JiriHrdina
11-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Wasn't there a play in the second half where the stamps were 3rd and something. And instead of kicking a fieldgoal, they went for the gamble and lost. It is plays like that, that the coach gambled on and lost.

I don't recall this play at all. Did this happen? Coaching didn't lose this game and if Higgins is canned i'll be pretty unimpressed. A coach can't really do much when your team refuses to hang on to the ball.

Bench Warmer
11-06-2006, 07:06 AM
I don't recall this play at all. Did this happen? Coaching didn't lose this game and if Higgins is canned i'll be pretty unimpressed. A coach can't really do much when your team refuses to hang on to the ball.

The gambled and Burris fumbled.

ken0042
11-06-2006, 07:13 AM
My question is this- wasn't a Rider offside on that call? I noticed CBC stopped showing the replay before the snap because it did indeed show a Rider offside.

JohnnyFlame
11-06-2006, 08:50 AM
The city of CHOKERS -- been a title we have held for oh so long and it just keeps on going and going. How many times did the Flames have a great(Presidents CUP winning team) and choke.

But they don't even compare to the Stamps who have an incredible legacy of choke. Heck even when they had Flutie they should have won more but choked it away.

The usual brutal coaching in a big game. Last few seconds of the half and the idiot dosen't have the endzone littered with DB's. So stupid. The playcalling in the 2nd half was bimbo like as it always the case. Burris was brutal and so was his offensive line. Defense of course coughs up the big play right at the start of the half to get things rolling.

Roughriders played hard and showed character -- Stamps as usual showed what they are made of -- characterless CHOKERS!!!!

BlackEleven
11-06-2006, 09:22 AM
I think whoever would have won will get crushed by BC anyway. That said, it hurts to see the Stamps choke two years in a row. Choking and then losing is way worse that just getting thumped all game long.

Erick Estrada
11-06-2006, 09:22 AM
There's a reason Rider fans nicknamed him Henry the 'Horrible'.

JiriHrdina
11-06-2006, 09:26 AM
The gambled and Burris fumbled.

Oh yeah, I guess I dont' look at it as a blown gamble - heck they had the first down. It was another bad turnover from the team's highest paid player.

calf
11-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't think Higgins will be canned, but I'm 90% sure he'll relinquish his head coaching duties and focus on his role as VP of Football Operations.

Denny Creehan is also going to be on the hot seat big time - there's zero excuse for fudging around with your linebacking corps so late in the season. Benching a veteran in Grace, starting a Rookie in Rodriguez, putting Trey Young in as LB when he hasn't played there in 2 years. Not playing Cornelius Anthony. Playing soft defence in the last drive of the 1st half. Getting away from blitzing and pressuring KJ.

Burratto is the most likely guy to stick around. I wasn't too impressed with the playcalling (not utilizing Reynolds, going for the home run/few crossing patterns, etc). But, there's only so much he can do, and if Burris and his receivers execute, we're not having this conversation.

Plenty of blame to go around, and there will be no shortage of changes this off season, imo.

Eagle Eye
11-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Oh yeah, I guess I dont' look at it as a blown gamble - heck they had the first down. It was another bad turnover from the team's highest paid player.

I dont know if I saw this play wrong or not, but why did Burris try to get a few extra yards out of that play, why not drop down after you got one.

It seems like Burris always tries to force things, sometimes he just needs to take the easy play, or throw the ball away when there aren't any options (like when you are about to be sacked)

JiriHrdina
11-06-2006, 10:07 AM
I dont know if I saw this play wrong or not, but why did Burris try to get a few extra yards out of that play, why not drop down after you got one.

It seems like Burris always tries to force things, sometimes he just needs to take the easy play, or throw the ball away when there aren't any options (like when you are about to be sacked)

Agreed. And it happened numerous times in the game where the Stamps put the ball in dangerous positions in order to get an unnecessary extra half yard.

Dion
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I have to wonder why Danny Mac was not brought in during the 4th quarter. I always felt a change in the QB might have made a difference in the outcome. It's not as if he was a rookie with no experience.

The Argos brought in their backup and look what happened.

flamesaresmokin
11-06-2006, 11:54 AM
This team really faded down the stretch this season. They looked confused on offense for the last three or four games of the season and the defence that used to be so dominant for the last 3-4 years has dissappeared. There was no creativity with play calls excluding the drive where burris took off on a run a couple times. Why not throw som screen passes to guys like brett ralph and nik lewis, guys that can elude defenders. Anything to get some yardage. INstead its burris over the top and way past the receiver way too many times. No starting qb should be consistently overthrowing there recievers as much as he did the last 3 games of the season.

I can count maybe 5-6 games where burris played up to his potential this season and the rest he was average at best. Either the offensive co-ordinator has to go or burris does. This team should be a division champ this year and the next three but they are ****ing it away.

JohnnyFlame
11-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I have to wonder why Danny Mac was not brought in during the 4th quarter. I always felt a change in the QB might have made a difference in the outcome. It's not as if he was a rookie with no experience.

The Argos brought in their backup and look what happened.

That would have required a coaching staff who could think on their feet. The play calling was just horrific. The defensive calls were stupid. The decision to leave the king of the chokers in was again --STUPID.

The instant that the Riders scored that touchdown in the last few seconds of the 1st half I knew it was the start of the choke. But actually when you look at it they were choking way before that with the chances to put the Riders out of their misery but stupid playcalling or Burris choking cost them.

They need to bring in QB's and have two guys ready to take over from Burris by mid-season. Fire Burrato as he is an idiot. Give Higgins have a season to get them looking like a team with some character or can him as well. In fact hire an offensive coordinator who is a potential guy to take his job!!!!

Resolute 14
11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
The city of CHOKERS -- been a title we have held for oh so long and it just keeps on going and going. How many times did the Flames have a great(Presidents CUP winning team) and choke.

Once, 1988, when they lost to the eventual champ. That team wasnt bad either, you might have heard of them, the Edmonton Oilers? The other time they won the Presidents Trophy, they won the Cup as well.

KTown
11-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm sure when Casey Printers realizes hes not a good enough QB to play in the big leageues, he will be back in the CFL. Does that mean B.C. owns his rights if he comes back.

pepper24
11-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Sweet, thank you Burris, knew you had it in you, thanks for the win. Good luck next week....wait, there is no next week for the stamps, haha, Go Riders.

The Riders needed 6 turnovers to squeak out a win. They are going to have to play much better next weekend or else they'll get destroyed as you know that Dickinson isn't going to choke like Burris.

calf
11-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm sure when Casey Printers realizes hes not a good enough QB to play in the big leageues, he will be back in the CFL. Does that mean B.C. owns his rights if he comes back.
nope. He's played in enough games to be considered a veteran. This year being an option year, he would have had to go back to the Lions if he wanted to come back to the CFL. In 2007, however, he'll be considered a FA. If he only played in 1 or 2 games in the CFL before (I think the threshold is 6), he'd still be BC's.

Caramel
11-06-2006, 01:19 PM
He continued to throw ints, even when we had a lead. I mean common, he couldnt even manage the game properly. He came out terribly, continued it throughout the game. We w here up 21-5 at one point, and his turnovers cost us, time and time again. He totally falls apart when the pressure is on, and I think we need to cut him.

philip1985
11-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Watching the game yesterday was really disturbung. I'm not a huge Stamps fan and as mentioned in the Flames talk maybe this will turn the season around for the Flames. Watching Burris though yesterday made me think, can the Stamps really win with this guy. Like his offensive coach said when he is on he is one of the best, but when he is off like yesterday he can cost you a chance to win. I'm not saying it was all Burris' fault but when you have 0 TD passes the past two playoff appearances your not going to win many games. Hopefully this off season the Stamps can acquire someone else, adn like smiling Hank go some where else.

JiriHrdina
11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Some interseting articles in the Sun today including the usual quiet Joffrey Reynolds expressing frustration at being underused in the 2nd half (he's right) and Ted Hellard promising changes. Worth reading.

Dion
11-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Some interseting articles in the Sun today including the usual quiet Joffrey Reynolds expressing frustration at being underused in the 2nd half (he's right) and Ted Hellard promising changes. Worth reading.

I read that too. Reynolds have every right to be ****ed. Going strictly with a passing game in the second half made it easier for the Riders to defend against the Stamps offence.

What I found ironic is that Barrett put his faith in Holmes and gave him the ball in the second half and he was rewarded for his decision.

If you ask me the Stamps got out coached.

JohnnyFlame
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Once, 1988, when they lost to the eventual champ. That team wasnt bad either, you might have heard of them, the Edmonton Oilers? The other time they won the Presidents Trophy, they won the Cup as well.

Yeah I remember 89 and I also vaguely remember choke after choke from then on till they faded into obscurity.

SaskaBushFire
11-06-2006, 03:15 PM
You guys should model your team after a winner ... like I dunno, the Riders.

GO GREEN!!!!

STAMPEDRED
11-06-2006, 03:18 PM
My takes from the game yesterday...

Stamps fans... ya, all you lazy, cheap morons who can't come out to a game unless the weather is 28C or better and can't shell out a measley $20 bucks to cheer on your home team in the only playoff game each year at home are just as fully to blame for teh loss if not more!

There was more frickin green in the stands than red! Why should this team even bother/care about trying to win a hime playoff date to not only get it, but have a lousy city of supposed fans that can't even muster up 35,000 people to cheer on OUR team and yet the whole province of Sask can show up and basically make it home field advantage for the roughriders.

I'm really getting tired of our prissy city that can barely show enough interest to support a team that really is doing pretty good!

If I was a Stamp I sure would be disappointeed in the loss but I would also be equally if not more ripped at the lousy city they represent that can't even make an effort to get off their couch and make it truly a home team advantage!

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
11-06-2006, 03:19 PM
The Riders needed 6 turnovers to squeak out a win. They are going to have to play much better next weekend or else they'll get destroyed as you know that Dickinson isn't going to choke like Burris.

O.K.....it was 7 turnovers, Burris had an int. on the last play of the game. Gee. get it right. Squeak out a win, ya to bad we won by 9. And also, I believe we won 3 out of 4 against the Lions in the regular season. So, should be a good close game.

JohnnyFlame
11-06-2006, 03:48 PM

Stamps fans... ya, all you lazy, cheap morons who can't come out to a game unless the weather is 28C or better and can't shell out a measley $20 bucks to cheer on your home team in the only playoff game each year at home are just as fully to blame for teh loss if not more!

There was more frickin green in the stands than red! Why should this team even bother/care about trying to win a hime playoff date to not only get it, but have a lousy city of supposed fans that can't even muster up 35,000 people to cheer on OUR team and yet the whole province of Sask can show up and basically make it home field advantage for the roughriders.

I'm really getting tired of our prissy city that can barely show enough interest to support a team that really is doing pretty good!

If I was a Stamp I sure would be disappointeed in the loss but I would also be equally if not more ripped at the lousy city they represent that can't even make an effort to get off their couch and make it truly a home team advantage!

I guess that would be a point if half of Sask. hadn't moved to Calgary.

SaskaBushFire
11-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I guess that would be a point if half of Sask. hadn't moved to Calgary.

Wrong again! Unless Calgary's population is under 200k!!!

transplant99
11-06-2006, 03:51 PM
I read that too. Reynolds have every right to be ****ed. Going strictly with a passing game in the second half made it easier for the Riders to defend against the Stamps offence.

What I found ironic is that Barrett put his faith in Holmes and gave him the ball in the second half and he was rewarded for his decision.

If you ask me the Stamps got out coached.

You know what....no he doesnt.

This is a guy that has put the ball on the ground 3 times in 6 playoff QUARTERS....simply not good enough.

Thunderball
11-06-2006, 10:47 PM

Four points...

1. There are literally hundreds of thousands of Saskatchewan ex-pats in this city. Hell, Sask stopped growing around the Great Depression... where do you think they've all been going? Same reason why Leafs games are even ground, or like a home game for TO.

2. All Sask'wan has is CFL football... that's it. Calgary residents currently enjoy the CFL and NHL... and frankly, as a season ticket holder of both, the NHL is a superior league and product. Sports fans only have so much money, and split it accordingly between all the sports franchises, arts, etc. Sask ex-pats have one major league thing that they grew up with and love...football. So they gather all their rupees for when the Riders come to town, and there's a lot of them. Enough of which sold out of the game and prevented casual Stamps fans from buying them. The Stamps die-hards were there too. There was one crazy ******* in my section, or right adjacent (hard to tell, he was understandably moving a lot) not wearing a shirt, painted all in red. Good on him... I'd never do that.

3. If you noticed... the Sask fans were all in the cheap seats. The closer to the centre you got... the more Stamps fans there were. Therefore, this prissy city actually put its money together and bought the required pricey tickets to support their club, led by a god awful QB.

4. Who cares. The real winners were the city's bars, hotels and restaurants with all of Rider Nation showing up.

STAMPEDRED
11-07-2006, 12:01 AM
^^^

Your point # 3 exactly!
There a re plenty of cheap seats at McMahon, a heck of a lot more than there is at the dome and for the most part a more entertaining packeage than what the flames sure put on lately!

There a re only 10 home games with a possible playoff date... costs around 100-120 for seasons tickets! And a city of 1 million people of which there has got to be at least 35,000 that care, but not enough to get off their polished couches, HD tv and go out and support the team.

I remember in the 90's when mcmahon got so loud that our own QB Garcia had to motion to the crowd to quiet down so he could call the play!

I noticed how easily Sask had with calling their plays as well as ours. Even with the stands 60-40 split in favour of green chumps it still got nowhere to the volume it should have on either side! And yeah we choked and Burris isn't the best, but it was nowhere close to the choke the flames put up in game 6 1/2 and 7 last year in the playoffs yet that was a sellout!

To me, this loss adds up a lot to brutal fans for our team! We are like our head coach who wants to put a muzzle on personality and just have the team go through its motions like it cares without being able to show it and most people in Calgary do the same! "Get Burris out-a-town but I'm not willing to support the team colours if he is here or not!"

For the turning point in the season, I think it really came down to Higgins pulling the plug on any sort of personality to be shown on the field. Our players play best with a swagger... and to prevent this the play calling and pass distribution goes to guys who are quiet and not-so-clutch as opposed to your play makers in Cope and Lewis and to which it seems that Cope will be on the hook for not being delivered the ball more frequelntly???

These two guys are and should be our studs, yet were not really used! Lewis has unbelievable hands and talent, yet we won't use him! Copeland much the same, yet lets not fully use him either! Instead, lets use some clown in Johnson who can't catch a frickin ball to save his life in the TO game as opposed to our play-makers!

Wonderful Coaching!:bag:

I would be willing to bet if the stamps coaching staff would get their heads out of their butts and call plays that will utilize the talent for all its worth instead of utilizing rookies for all they can't play?!? then it would be a much different story plus for fans to actually show up for games and be at least 30,000 people for the home side and make a difference instead of allowing the majoruty of the fans be green and riding the Burris jeer in our own turf!

/rant

ken0042
11-07-2006, 07:37 AM
There a re only 10 home games with a possible playoff date... costs around 100-120 for seasons tickets! And a city of 1 million people of which there has got to be at least 35,000 that care, but not enough to get off their polished couches, HD tv and go out and support the team.

/rant

Well, I gave up my season tickets this season because it went from $130 to $210 per seat. (Add ~$20 for no early bird, add ~$20 for no 3 year contract, and add $40 for the manditory playoff game.) That's what prompted this CFL fan to cancel his tickets.

Myself, I didn't go to the playoff game because by doing so would cause me to miss 20% of the remaining CFL playoff games. And I didn't want to miss the last Bomber game of the season.

Shazam
11-07-2006, 04:19 PM
According to the FAN960, John Grace was released today.

Flames in 07
11-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm giving up my tickets for next year as well.

For those that try to equate the size of the cities with how many people should come to a football game ... there are dozens of reasons why that makes no sense.

First of all, CFL football is the best ticket in town, unless you are into the Regina Rams, or spend all your money on WHL, the CFL is what you follow. Here it is something to follow so long as the NHL doesn't distract you. As well, the city has ... ummm, let's say a different demographic, especially lately. Less % of the people are into drinkin at the ball field. And as well, the bigger the city, the bigger the expectations.

I for one, think that Mcmahon is a garbage stadium, with garbage amenities, garbage gameday management, garbage food serivce, garbage parking and the CFL is simply an OK product. I'd rather take the season ticket money and go to a game in Denver or Columbus.

cgy2london
11-09-2006, 07:48 AM
who do you replace him with?

JohnnyFlame
11-09-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm giving up my tickets for next year as well.

For those that try to equate the size of the cities with how many people should come to a football game ... there are dozens of reasons why that makes no sense.

First of all, CFL football is the best ticket in town, unless you are into the Regina Rams, or spend all your money on WHL, the CFL is what you follow. Here it is something to follow so long as the NHL doesn't distract you. As well, the city has ... ummm, let's say a different demographic, especially lately. Less % of the people are into drinkin at the ball field. And as well, the bigger the city, the bigger the expectations.

I for one, think that Mcmahon is a garbage stadium, with garbage amenities, garbage gameday management, garbage food serivce, garbage parking and the CFL is simply an OK product. I'd rather take the season ticket money and go to a game in Denver or Columbus.

LOL I would agree with your view of McMahon completely but I go to CFL games as a fairweather fan. Nice summer night with the buddies and we just have fun -- the game, unless it's an exciting one, is something going on while we shoot the breeze!!!

Thunderball
11-09-2006, 11:57 AM
who do you replace him with?

To me, I see a few options:

- Garcia makes 710k base salary with Philadelphia as their backup. He's 36, which means potentially 2-3 more good years at the CFL level, minimum. Offer him somewhere between 300 and 500k + Grey Cup bonus, and see what happens. (Then drop Burris)

- Trade Burris for Maas. Neither team seems happy with their man, so swap them, maybe they can both reach potential in new cities.

- Attempt to poach one of Montreal, Toronto or BC for their QB depth. Potentially most attainable that would actually be an upgrade: Dickenson, Jackson, Calvillo, Palmer.

- Pick up a few young guys and hope one has what it takes to supplant Burris. This is the cheapest way, and the most likely, despite the Stamps inability to find good young QBs post-Buono.

troutman
11-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Bruce Threadgill may be available.

STAMPEDRED
11-10-2006, 05:20 PM

- Garcia makes 710k base salary with Philadelphia as their backup. He's 36, which means potentially 2-3 more good years at the CFL level, minimum. Offer him somewhere between 300 and 500k + Grey Cup bonus, and see what happens. (Then drop Burris)

- Trade Burris for Maas. Neither team seems happy with their man, so swap them, maybe they can both reach potential in new cities.

- Pick up a few young guys and hope one has what it takes to supplant Burris. This is the cheapest way, and the most likely, despite the Stamps inability to find good young QBs post-Buono.

Personally I would rather have Burris than Maas.
Maas has way less confidence or solid playing ability for that matter.

Sure Burris has his issues, but he is better (seemingly anyways) at working as a team with his team-mates. Maybe it isn't the best route for him, but he doesn't always shoulder the blame and I think that is sometimes wise to say "hey, this is a team game, not individuals".

Remember "remember the titans"?? They're motivating line was individually they are far from perfecr, but as a team they are perfect... didn't hurt to be undefeated either but ya know:D !

I think if this team would pull together as a team, then we have a pretty good package with what we got. Burris deserves some of the blame, but he is one cog of the team.

Unfortunately for him is he is often the goat... he is shaky at times and brilliant at others, but if his team is clicking and gelling around him, I think he is much better at working well with them within the diameters of how they can play as opposed to what Maas can, or more realistically CAN'T, bring to the table!

You don't swap a QB from a team that has turned around with him for one that sure didn't do a whole lot in Hamilton this year. He is not a QB who gets you motivated but rather depressed cause he doesn't seem to know how to lighten up a little and enjoy the game!

Just my thoughts without a slanted rant today!:D

rubecube
11-10-2006, 09:20 PM

No chance in hell this happens. I'd like the Stamps to take a strong look at Marcus Brady. I know he struggled with Hamilton but he was great when he filled in for Damon Allen in Tor. Not saying he's the solution, but he's worth a look.

calf
11-10-2006, 10:21 PM
No chance in hell this happens. I'd like the Stamps to take a strong look at Marcus Brady. I know he struggled with Hamilton but he was great when he filled in for Damon Allen in Tor. Not saying he's the solution, but he's worth a look.
I'd probably add Rocky Butler to that list. There's no way he's starter material, yet, but he'll push Hank more than McManus or Corley. Butler's a guy who's been starving for a chance in Saskatchewan (ie, has been around the CFL, which is better than bringing in some NFL cast off), but with Joseph and Crandell there, he's not going to get it anytime soon. He showed some success in Saskatchewan this year when he was given a chance. He's not the best new thing, but would be better for QB depth & competition at QB.

STAMPEDRED
11-11-2006, 01:48 AM
I think you are right about Butler there Calf. I was watching a couple games this year with him in it and he looked pretty darn good! So good in fact I wrote my broher inlaw-inlaw! a compliment about his team!:D

And that was only cause we weren't playing them of course!

Of all the QB's mentioned, he would be the best fit IMO and would probably compliment Burris much better than a Danny Mac has!

On top of this, it would sure sack it to the riders if we got another of their QB's - and one who seems to have serious potential/upside to him!

Red Mile Style
11-11-2006, 01:59 AM
I'd probably add Rocky Butler to that list. There's no way he's starter material, yet, but he'll push Hank more than McManus or Corley. Butler's a guy who's been starving for a chance in Saskatchewan (ie, has been around the CFL, which is better than bringing in some NFL cast off), but with Joseph and Crandell there, he's not going to get it anytime soon. He showed some success in Saskatchewan this year when he was given a chance. He's not the best new thing, but would be better for QB depth & competition at QB.

Damn you calf!!! Stop stealing our quarterbacks!!!

rubecube
11-11-2006, 03:13 PM
On a side note, whatever happened to Jason Gesser? I thought he had some potential.

calf
11-11-2006, 04:33 PM
On a side note, whatever happened to Jason Gesser? I thought he had some potential.
Gesser sucked...zero arm strength. I wanted to see Danny Wimprine develop a little more. Sort of reminded me of Brett Favre