PDA

View Full Version : T'rawna to get a Bowl game...

calf
10-07-2004, 11:09 PM
It's not an NFL team, but it's a start (http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/news_story.asp?id=101153)

troutman
10-08-2004, 01:39 PM
The Vanier Cup is in Hamilton this year. This is the first time in many years that it won't be played in Toronto. I's rather see this country get behind CIS football and promote the Vanier Cup than bring an American Bowl game to T.O.

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
10-09-2004, 12:50 AM
CIS football = :zzz:

I'd rather watch two mediocre US college teams go at it than watch CIS football. That's about as good a bowl matchup as Toronto can expect.

The Goon
10-09-2004, 09:45 AM
I've heard for years the idea of having the Vanier Cup played in the same city as the Grey Cup. The Vanier Cup would be played on the Saturday of Grey Cup weekend. I'm surprised that they haven't been able to pull that together yet.

As far as the bowl game in Toronto, it should be a great influx of tourists and tourist dollars during the winter, so a big thumbs up to whoever is putting that together!

Sylvanfan
10-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by The Goon@Oct 9 2004, 03:45 PM
I've heard for years the idea of having the Vanier Cup played in the same city as the Grey Cup. The Vanier Cup would be played on the Saturday of Grey Cup weekend. I'm surprised that they haven't been able to pull that together yet.

As far as the bowl game in Toronto, it should be a great influx of tourists and tourist dollars during the winter, so a big thumbs up to whoever is putting that together!
That would make far too much sense for Canadian football to implement. Perhaps the CFL would be embarassed when it was discovered the CIS referees were more competent than their own.

calgaryred
10-10-2004, 03:09 PM
I agree the vanier cup should be played with the grey cup in the host city. I think the idea of T.O hosting a bowl game pretty sad. I think if they do host a game it will probably do well. If T.O routinely hosts bowl games though I don't think the city with support it. The Sky (toilet) Dome will be mostly full of tourists. Keep it in America I say, but i'm one person.

duncan
10-11-2004, 06:12 PM
95% of the fans at any of the bowl games are tourists. Thousands of Wolverine fans make the trek to Pasedena to see them in the Rose Bowl. That would be the whole idea of holding it, to draw tourists.

kn
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
As stated, the Vanier Cup should have been held on the Saturday of Grey Cup weekend but that would make far too much sense.

I don't know if Toronto will ever get a NFL team though; I don't think a bowl game would make much difference in that pursuit.

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
10-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by duncan@Oct 11 2004, 06:12 PM
95% of the fans at any of the bowl games are tourists. Thousands of Wolverine fans make the trek to Pasedena to see them in the Rose Bowl. That would be the whole idea of holding it, to draw tourists.
Hmm. Let's see. Toronto or Pasadena in late December or early January. Add the pleasure of watching a football game in one of the least fan-friendly stadiums in North America ...

I can see a legion of "fan" coming to Toronto for this one. :rolleyes:

Maybe NCAA and the BCS could use Skydome as some sort of punishment for top ranked teams that perform poorly during the regular season. ;)

duncan
10-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Okay Fuzzy, you are a huge Spartans fan, in East Lansing Michigan, and your beloved MSU team is playing in the HOGBowl in Toronto. Would you travel to Pasedena to watch the Wolverines, or up to Canada to watch your team? I wasn't saying they would pull non-fans, or fans of other teams to the game, I was saying that the majority of people at these games are fans of the teams, that travelled to see the game, not local football enthusiasts.