PDA

View Full Version : Why is WVA considered for National Title?

Flames in 07
10-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Why do the polls stick WVA in the national title spot vs the winner of OSU vs Michigan at this point in the year?

20 teams could run through WVA's schedlue of cupcakes.

I'd take a one loss SEC team before any midmajor anyday.

JayP
10-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Why do the polls stick WVA in the national title spot vs the winner of OSU vs Michigan at this point in the year?

20 teams could run through WVA's schedlue of cupcakes.

I'd take a one loss SEC team before any midmajor anyday.

Well, they do got Louisville on Thursday and Rutgers in a month so get it some time before you write them off (although I think they'll lose both games).

College polls don't mean a whole lot until the end of the season. The only reason WVA (and Louisville too for that matter) are ranked in the top 5 is because of preseason polls. It just so happens that both teams have their tough games closer to the end and one will probably end up flaming big time.

Flames in 07
10-31-2006, 09:39 PM
If your two big games are Louisville and Rutgers ... that still not much of a schedule. Those two are unbeaten because they have cupcakes scheds too.

Pre season polls are bad, their disregard for strength of sched is worse.

Displaced Flames fan
11-01-2006, 04:47 PM
If your two big games are Louisville and Rutgers ... that still not much of a schedule. Those two are unbeaten because they have cupcakes scheds too.

They can't control who is in their conference, and its hard for non-elite programs to schedule tough non-confrerence opponents.

I think West Virginia is legitimate though. They have unbelievable talent on offense.

Frankly, they should be playing Ohio State every year. That's a natural rivalry, but OSU knows they don't have to schedule anything tough out of conference because their conference opponents will be good enough to get them where they want to be.

Steve Slaton is the Heisman winner right now IMO.

Flames in 07
11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
They can't control who is in their conference, and its hard for non-elite programs to schedule tough non-confrerence opponents.

I think West Virginia is legitimate though. They have unbelievable talent on offense.

Frankly, they should be playing Ohio State every year. That's a natural rivalry, but OSU knows they don't have to schedule anything tough out of conference because their conference opponents will be good enough to get them where they want to be.

Well, I'm sure there's some folks in Austin who would take exception to the concept that they never schedule tough out of conference.

But regardless, that doesn't matter because they have as tough a in-conference sched as it gets.

It seems to me that we have too many BCS conferences.

btw, WVA has a choice about it's conference ... just ask Miami.

I hope the winner of OSU and Michigan absolutely kills WVA so people start think about if its ok for those with cupcake schedules to coast into the championship game.

JayP
11-01-2006, 05:32 PM

WVA, Lousville, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh as well are all very good football teams. Sure the rest of the conference isn't great, but it's better than the bottom half of the SEC. I don't get how the media complains that the 1-loss SEC teams won't be given much of a chance for a national championship when IMO the Big East is in a very similar situation. A handful of great top 25-30 teams and a handful of bottom feeders.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens the rest of the way. If Michigan can beat Ohio State I wouldn't put it out of the question to see a rematch for the national championship..

Flames in 07
11-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Pitt won 3 years ago, and got creamed by Utah ... my only experience watching any of those teams. I guess this years bowl season will tell us how good they are.

JayP
11-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Well WVA won't be considered for a National Title anymore - Louisville just ended those hopes. Louisville/Rutgers next Thursday is absolutely HUGE now.

Flames in 07
11-04-2006, 07:34 AM
JayP can you really say with a straight face that the Ville really derserves a shot at the NC? If Rutgers win next week do they? Top to bottom, the PAC 10, Big XII, Big 10 and SEC absolutely would dominate the Big East.

To an athlete the best teams in this major conferences have better players.

Big East is a mid major, they should have their own series of bowls with the WAC and CUSA.

Antithesis
11-04-2006, 07:18 PM
The end to the season will certainly be interesting to see which team ends up against Ohio State/Michigan ... so many are still a part of the picture.

Flames in 07
11-04-2006, 11:51 PM
well at this point, my vote would be for either Texas or Florida. Both have 1L in very tough conferences.

USC has been dancing with danger all year, and really don't show like a NC, and since OSU has already shown Texas who is boss, I'm hoping it is Florida.

Flames in 07
11-10-2006, 11:11 PM

Big East isn't looking to hot now. Nothing says mid-major quite like Rutgers running the table. I love the BCS, but we need to do a better job of differentiating who is a BCS eligable conference.

JayP
11-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Big East isn't looking to hot now. Nothing says mid-major quite like Rutgers running the table. I love the BCS, but we need to do a better job of differentiating who is a BCS eligable conference.

I'm not a fan of the whole Big East is mid-major stuff. If the Big East teams are so bad and SEC teams are so great then why do SEC teams refuse to schedule WVA and Louisville year after year. I read an article on ESPN saying how Louisville has done everything possible to get non-conference games against upper SEC teams to no avail.

The SEC simply schedules weak non-conference schedules and then cries poor when no one can go undefeated.

KTown
11-10-2006, 11:53 PM
The people picking hte national championship dodged a huge bullet by Rutgers beating Louisville.

What if the Rutgers beat WVA and are undefeated at that time should they be considerd a national championship team?

Stupid BCS voting, there should be a playoff with the top teams.

JayP
11-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Another team who is supposed to be better than than WVA, Rutgers, and Lousiville is looking REAL impressive.

#5 Auburn is getting killed by Georgia - Cox has completed 3 passes..and given up 4 picks. The SEC sure is dominant!

Displaced Flames fan
11-11-2006, 12:55 PM
The people picking hte national championship dodged a huge bullet by Rutgers beating Louisville.

What if the Rutgers beat WVA and are undefeated at that time should they be considerd a national championship team?

Stupid BCS voting, there should be a playoff with the top teams.

And I don't buy the reasons given for not doing it either.

Keep all the bowl games and rotate them throughout the bracket each year. Make sure every (or most) playoff game is on a different night.

There are 32 bowl games....the playoffs should include 32 teams. Get rid of the conference champiobship games and you'd have the time.

The only time I really watch college football is during the I-AA playoffs. Great stuff and division 1 woudl do well to emulate it in their own grandiose style.

transplant99
11-11-2006, 01:42 PM
And I don't buy the reasons given for not doing it either.

Keep all the bowl games and rotate them throughout the bracket each year. Make sure every (or most) playoff game is on a different night.

There are 32 bowl games....the playoffs should include 32 teams. Get rid of the conference champiobship games and you'd have the time.

The only time I really watch college football is during the I-AA playoffs. Great stuff and division 1 woudl do well to emulate it in their own grandiose style.

Agreed...and the most absurd part of all of it?

There will be 50 FIFTY days between the end of Ohio's season and the BCS championship game. Obviously this includes the 2 weeks of Xmas break for the kids, but so what?

That would still allow at least 3 weeks, if not 4, for playoff games.

Its a joke.

Just noticed Auburn got thumped at home for the 2nd time this season...and this club was #5 in the nation? Sure thing.

A positive for me in all this however, and combined with Louisville choking away their chance on Thursday, if USC runs the table, they will the best argument to get into the big game among the 1 loss teams.

There is no way that Boise St nor Rutgers, even if going undefeated, will get a sniff of the big one, so it would come down to the loser of the Ohio St/Michigan tilt, Texas, Florida (who could be a 2 loss team and still win the SEC) and Notre Dame to make a stronger argument to play in the big one.

I think SoCal can make the strongest bid among those to get in...assuming again, that they beat Cal, ND and UCLA.

rubecube
11-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Mark my words...Florida vs Michigan for the national title. I love Ted Ginn and Ohio State but Chad Henne is the man.

transplant99
11-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Mark my words...Florida vs Michigan for the national title. I love Ted Ginn and Ohio State but Chad Henne is the man.

Fla may get a shot....but they best pick it up right now. Tied at 7 with SC in the 3rd. At home. Not good enough.

rubecube
11-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Fla may get a shot....but they best pick it up right now. Tied at 7 with SC in the 3rd. At home. Not good enough.

Yeah...This blows I'm at work and the people I work with are watching Batman (the ****ty one with the nipples). I need my college ball!

JayP
11-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Florida doesn't deserve a shot the way they've played recently. Their defense is great, but their offense would get eaten alive by Ohio St. or Michigan.

SC up 6 midway through the 4th now..

transplant99
11-11-2006, 04:27 PM
16-10 now SC with 8 minutes left...come on old ball coach!!!

rubecube
11-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Tebow is a monster!

rubecube
11-11-2006, 04:55 PM
The kick is blocked! What a game. That was unbelievable. I think the Gators officially move up to #3.

JayP
11-11-2006, 05:10 PM
The kick is blocked! What a game. That was unbelievable. I think the Gators officially move up to #3.

You'd have to think that if Texas wins by more than a point tonight they should pass Florida to #3 (Texas is .002 behind Florida in the BCS).

Florida doesn't deserve a whole lot of national title hype after that win. Relying on three blocked kicks is pretty unimpressive against a medicore SC team. For all the talk about how Ohio St./Michigan would roll all over the Big East champ it's pretty funny to see the best the SEC has to offer get blown out in one game and need a ton of special teams help in the other.

Cal gets dropped out of BCS talk as well with a loss in Arizona.

Displaced Flames fan
11-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Texas will throttle K-State. Trust me.

rubecube
11-11-2006, 05:28 PM
You'd have to think that if Texas wins by more than a point tonight they should pass Florida to #3 (Texas is .002 behind Florida in the BCS).

Florida doesn't deserve a whole lot of national title hype after that win. Relying on three blocked kicks is pretty unimpressive against a medicore SC team. For all the talk about how Ohio St./Michigan would roll all over the Big East champ it's pretty funny to see the best the SEC has to offer get blown out in one game and need a ton of special teams help in the other.

Cal gets dropped out of BCS talk as well with a loss in Arizona.

True. The rankings are going to be very interesting after next weekend. If the margin of victory in the Ohio State and Michigan games is anything less than 7 points, do either of them deserved to be dropped from the top two spots? Does Rutgers have a case for a title bid? I just really don't want to see an Ohio State/Texas rematch for the championship.

JayP
11-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I just really don't want to see an Ohio State/Texas rematch for the championship.

Yeah that really would be a let-down, regardless of how good of a game it turns out to be. With so many other quality teams fighting for a spot in that national championship game it seems stupid to have a rematch of the final regular season game for two teams. I'd rather find out if the winner can beat Texas, USC, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Florida, etc. than have a do-over.

rubecube
11-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah that really would be a let-down, regardless of how good of a game it turns out to be. With so many other quality teams fighting for a spot in that national championship game it seems stupid to have a rematch of the final regular season game for two teams. I'd rather find out if the winner can beat Texas, USC, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Florida, etc. than have a do-over.

Well Ohio State already beat Texas which is what I was alluding to actually. That being said I'm going for Michigan and I think a Michigan/Texas championship game would be pretty good. That being said, I think Notre Dame still has a chance to get in the picture after their big win today. Granted it was against Air Force. If Texas bombs any of their next few games it could come down to the Notre Dame/USC game in two weeks.

KTown
11-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Texas will throttle K-State. Trust me.

This post has got to hurt the post lol @ Texas.

K-States 45-42 over Texas, lol.

JayP
11-12-2006, 12:50 AM
If Texas bombs any of their next few games it could come down to the Notre Dame/USC game in two weeks.

I really hope it does now that Texas lost tonight. Florida has barely got by three very medicore teams by scores of 7, 7, and 1 the past three weeks and don't look like national championship material. If USC can beat Cal, then the USC/ND showdown winner should be able to leapfrog Florida in the BCS for sure.

Arkansas also has a good shot if they can win out. They have LSU to end the season and then Florida for SEC Championship. Win both of those and they are probably the best bet for #2 in the nation.

transplant99
11-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Arkansas also has a good shot if they can win out.

Not if USC wins out.

The Razorbacks were manhandled at home by USC earlier this season.

rubecube
11-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Not if USC wins out.

The Razorbacks were manhandled at home by USC earlier this season.

Agreed. No way this happens unless USC and Notre Dame both drop a game.

Flames in 07
11-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Another team who is supposed to be better than than WVA, Rutgers, and Lousiville is looking REAL impressive.

#5 Auburn is getting killed by Georgia - Cox has completed 3 passes..and given up 4 picks. The SEC sure is dominant!

JayP, Alabama is in the SEC. an inter league game doesn't tell you if the conf is weak or strong ... that game merely says the conf is balanced.

the sec recruits better kids top to bottom than the Big East.

goodyear
11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
my bcs match up: rutgers vs boise state

Flames in 07
11-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Well, as miligned as the BCS is, it's still going to put the two best teams against each other.

OSU vs USC ... Can't wait.
Twas a good week in college ball, ND proved how overrated they were. They had 2 tough games in their 12 game schedule and was trashed in both, just for fun, WVA losses again, Arkansas is definately out, Florida is rather unimpressive against a very poor FSU.

Antithesis
11-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I think that a OSU/USC matchup would be a pretty clear-cut matchup of the top two teams in the country. USC annihilated Notre Dame yesterday - yes - highlighting how over-rated they and their QB are.

Bring on UCLA!