PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoffs Day 1

JiriHrdina
10-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Well have completed Day 1 of the MLB playoffs. Who has impressed you so far? Who has dissapointed/surprised. Any thoughts?

My 2 cents.

Bosox and Cards looked very good yes (and the Dodgers and Angels looked equally as bad), however for my money the team I was most impressed with was the Twinkies.

Solid starting pitching+2 innings of near perfect relief+great defense+timely hitting. That's how you win the world series. I think a team that can win these kind of games is more likely to go all the way than a team like the Cards or Bosox who blow teams out more.

I think the most intriguing series gets underway tomorrow, with the Red hot 'stros facing off against the Braves. Frankly I think the Braves are in a heap a trouble in this one. I'm not sold on their starting pitching and the Astros just look so damn good right now.

Other thoughts?

Calgary Flames
10-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Oct 5 2004, 10:21 PM
Other thoughts?
ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

I try, I honestly try to enjoy this sport to the fullest.... But it really is boring as hell to watch unless it's a series clinching game.

My thoughts. Sorry if I offend any die hard MLB fans.

JiriHrdina
10-05-2004, 10:34 PM
OK, well lets not turn this into a why baseball sucks/rules thread. My hope was to actually talk about the games. Those that are interested feel free to take part, if you don't like baseball feel free to stay out of it.

Jiggy_12
10-05-2004, 10:39 PM
The Yankees Twins game was awesome. Classic post-season baseball...I'm so happy its October again!

Eddie Bronze
10-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Baseball playoffs started?

^sorry, didn't know how else to show how much interest in this I really have.

Jiggy_12
10-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Ecko@Oct 5 2004, 10:45 PM

sorry, didn't know how else to show how much interest in this I really have.
Ummm...not responding at all? This thread was made to discuss the 1st day of the playoffs. Why don't you start a thread proclaiming your lack of interest in the mlb?

Sorry, posts like that really irk me

Flickered Flame
10-05-2004, 11:08 PM
None of the games surprised me. I think the Dodgers will get swept by the Cards, who are just so deep at the plate. Plus, they have so many gold glove winners.

The Twins had to beat the Yankees with Santana on the hill or else they may have been in trouble but it was a great game and should be a great series. I think the Twins will end up winning the series. And is Tori Hunter unbelievable or what?!

Boston will win almost every game Schilling starts but lets see them go up against Colon...this should be a high scoring series.

The interesting series to me is the Astros vs Braves. These 2 teams have had no post season success so someone will finally advance to the NLCS. I say the 'stros will win just because they have the better pitching.

CaramonLS
10-06-2004, 04:40 AM
I really liked the Twins/Yanks contest... incredibly scary to watch Santana who is NOT on his game, still managed to somehow pull off 7 shutout innings while allowing 9 hits, 1 walk.

He did have the ground ball working though...

I expect an even better game from Radke tonight and I think the twins will have a surprising 2-0 lead.

STL didn't surprise me one bit... they KILLED dodger pitching... if this series keeps going the way its looking, Gagne wont see the mound.

Resolute 14
10-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Nice start for the Twins, though they do need a little better pitching to win this series. Five double plays is ridiculous.

Boston now has two questionmarks for ace pitchers. Pedro has been garbage for a couple weeks now, though the playoffs may refocus him, while who knows how much - if at all - Schilling hurt himself on that play to first in the 6th last night.

One of the cool things about this year's playoffs is the number of Canadians in key roles. Walker, Morneau, Gagne, Quantrill.

nfotiu
10-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Oct 6 2004, 02:46 PM
Nice start for the Twins, though they do need a little better pitching to win this series. Five double plays is ridiculous.

Boston now has two questionmarks for ace pitchers. Pedro has been garbage for a couple weeks now, though the playoffs may refocus him, while who knows how much - if at all - Schilling hurt himself on that play to first in the 6th last night.

One of the cool things about this year's playoffs is the number of Canadians in key roles. Walker, Morneau, Gagne, Quantrill.
I don't think schilling injury is anything. I agree with pedro being a big question mark. If he can find his form back and he's not just completely worn out, the red sox when the world series, without him, they are done.

Why can't Pedro ever just be average? He seems to have 2 modes: superstar or godawful.

habernac
10-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Die Yankees Die!!!

:wwf:

:D

I live to see the Yankees lose. They represent all that is wrong with MLB.

And those of you who aren't baseball fans, just move on to the next thread, ok? Is it that difficult to do?

I_H8_Crawford
10-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by habernac@Oct 6 2004, 03:23 PM
Die Yankees Die!!!

I hear ya!!!
:beer:

As long as the Yankees lose, I am happy with the baseball playoffs; that being said, it would be nice to see Larry Walker get the WS he and many other Expos were denied in '94.

Jiggy_12
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by I_H8_Crawford+Oct 6 2004, 10:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I_H8_Crawford @ Oct 6 2004, 10:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-habernac@Oct 6 2004, 03:23 PM
Die Yankees Die!!!

I hear ya!!!
:beer:

As long as the Yankees lose, I am happy with the baseball playoffs; that being said, it would be nice to see Larry Walker get the WS he and many other Expos were denied in '94. [/b][/quote]
The world series just isnt the same without the Yankees. I'm cheering for them to make it to the final, and lose. There is nothing like the hatred and attention the Yankees garner, its good for baseball when they make the final

calgaryred
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm still sad the Cubs are not in the fall classic. I was really hoping the world series would be Cubs vs Red Sox. That would be an awesome series. Still I'm happy at least one of them got there. Boston and St.Louis are the teams I'm rooting for and so far they haven't let me down. New York loses and that always makes me smile. Hope to see the Cards and Sox take a 2 game to none lead!

habernac
10-06-2004, 10:54 AM
yeah, definitely cheering for Larry Walker. One of the guys at work actually had a chance to play against him in BC way back in the early 80's. I guess he was hitting them a mile back then, too. Heckuva playoff debut for the Cards yesterday.

moon
10-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by habernac@Oct 6 2004, 08:23 AM
Die Yankees Die!!!

And those of you who aren't baseball fans, just move on to the next thread, ok? Is it that difficult to do?
I would say that Boston equally represents what is wrong with baseball. They have a huge payroll and it would have been bigger if they were able to get A-Rod.

Resolute 14
10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
The Yankees represent what the "free market system" is all about.

Day two thus far is a good news/bad news story. The Braves are getting clobbered 7-2 in the 5th, but Clemens is having a good day. Personally, I would have rather Clemens gave up 10 runs in the first, while the Astros fought back to win 11-10.

Jiggy_12
10-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Oct 6 2004, 04:07 PM

Day two thus far is a good news/bad news story. The Braves are getting clobbered 7-2 in the 5th, but Clemens is having a good day. Personally, I would have rather Clemens gave up 10 runs in the first, while the Astros fought back to win 11-10.
I am actually pulling for the Braves this year. What they have done this season is astounding. Many had them tagged to finish in the middle to bottom of the NL east, and they somehow won it again..and by a fair margin.

nik-
10-06-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm pulling for the Astros this year. They were my pick at the start of the year ... which looked like a flop at the break ... but now I think they can go all the way.

JiriHrdina
10-06-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm pulling for the Twinkies. They play a very entertaining brand of ball. Almost a national league style game with a lot of hit and run, bunting, etc....whatever it takes to squeak out a run.

Sylvanfan
10-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Hey Fotiu,
You forgot to add Cory Koskie of the Twins to your list of Canadians who are playing important roles for their respective teams. Being able to send out a serious ace like Santana two times in a series on full rest when you only need to win 3 games does help the Twins against the Yankees. I'd personally like to see a replay of the 87 series with the Cards and Twins playing.

Did anyone catch the Tori Hunter interview post game where he mentioned that the AL East teams seem to be able to pick up Santana tipping his pitches? He mentioned something along the lines of these teams always hit him, and everyone else in the league is terrible against him.

Sylvanfan
10-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Oct 6 2004, 10:49 PM
I'm pulling for the Twinkies. They play a very entertaining brand of ball. Almost a national league style game with a lot of hit and run, bunting, etc....whatever it takes to squeak out a run.
They actually remind of 80's baseball when guys were struggling to hit 30 homeruns in those massive concrete turf cookie cutter stadiums. They're very different from most teams that succeed in baseball today and that makes them a refreshing team to watch.

Resolute 14
10-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Jiggy_12+Oct 6 2004, 10:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jiggy_12 @ Oct 6 2004, 10:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Snakeeye@Oct 6 2004, 04:07 PM

I am actually pulling for the Braves this year. What they have done this season is astounding. Many had them tagged to finish in the middle to bottom of the NL east, and they somehow won it again..and by a fair margin. [/b][/quote]
Atlanta is the ultimate bandwagon town. Rooting for them to choke in the playoffs has become a pasttime unto itself.

Jiggy_12
10-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye+Oct 6 2004, 08:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snakeeye @ Oct 6 2004, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Jiggy_12@Oct 6 2004, 10:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Snakeeye@Oct 6 2004, 04:07 PM
The Yankees represent what the "free market system" is all about.#

Day two thus far is a good news/bad news story.# The Braves are getting clobbered 7-2 in the 5th, but Clemens is having a good day.# Personally, I would have rather Clemens gave up 10 runs in the first, while the Astros fought back to win 11-10.
I am actually pulling for the Braves this year. What they have done this season is astounding. Many had them tagged to finish in the middle to bottom of the NL east, and they somehow won it again..and by a fair margin.
Atlanta is the ultimate bandwagon town. Rooting for them to choke in the playoffs has become a pasttime unto itself. [/b][/quote]
I will be the first to admit that I laugh heartily every year when they choke. My friend is a die-hard Braves fan so it makes it even better. But this year I was impressed at how well they did during the season, they really didn't have alot of great players like they always have.