PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Trade Advice

JBR
10-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Would you make this trade? Here's what I was offerred.

I trade DeShaun Foster and Chris Chambers for Shawn Alexander.

Thoughts?

Prototype
10-18-2006, 09:31 AM
In two more weeks I think it's a steal... depending on how a running back can recover from a broken foot.

burn_baby_burn
10-18-2006, 10:32 AM
If you have RB's to get you through the next two weeks I would do it in a second. Is your league a keeper league? If it is don't hesitate.

JBR
10-18-2006, 11:05 AM
It's a keeper league but I can only keep 2 players and 1 from each position. LT is my other back. I don't have a great back to cover the next 2 weeks but hope LT can keep scoring enough for 2 backs.

Prototype
10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
It's a keeper league but I can only keep 2 players and 1 from each position. LT is my other back. I don't have a great back to cover the next 2 weeks but hope LT can keep scoring enough for 2 backs.

Based on this, I would trade for him, and when he is healthy, trade one of them. Shore up a different position. No sense losing one of them to a Keeper re-draft.

And hope that if you stick with LT that he stays off the cover of Madden next season :bag: .

JBR
10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Good advice. Done deal.

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
10-19-2006, 03:04 AM
I wouldn't call this a steal. It's more like a** rape. I'm not chastising you for making the deal, but what is the other guy thinking? When Alexander is healthy, he's a top-2 back. Whether you are in a TD-only or yardage league, this is a one-sided trade.

Sylvanfan
10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
So did this other guy fall for it?

JBR
10-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Yes, he did. We also made a second trade today. I got Maurice Morris to fill in for Alexander until his return in exchange for Ladell Betts.

Drooling over LT and Alexander in my backfield heading into the playoffs!!

Jiggy_12
10-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Yes, he did. We also made a second trade today. I got Maurice Morris to fill in for Alexander until his return in exchange for Ladell Betts.

Drooling over LT and Alexander in my backfield heading into the playoffs!!

Another good trade for you. Betts sucks.

burn_baby_burn
10-20-2006, 08:51 AM
What are rules for trades in your league? I am the commish in one of my league's and I would never let this trade happen. I would have 10 emails from the other coaches complaining about this trade. Is there money involved?

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
10-20-2006, 10:35 AM
What are rules for trades in your league? I am the commish in one of my league's and I would never let this trade happen. I would have 10 emails from the other coaches complaining about this trade. Is there money involved?

On the surface, the owner who gave up Morris for Betts would appear to be a fantasy football buffoon. But you shouldn't be vetoing trades unless there is a hint of collusion between owners. Who's to say how some owners value players. If the commish or other owners start vetoing trades, it stifles rather than encourages competition.

JBR
10-20-2006, 11:25 AM
There is a 2 day trade approval waiting period. Owners can approve or object the trade. If they do neither, it's considered approval. 12 teams in the league and 6 objections would cause the commish to look at it. The Alexander trade period ends tonight with zero objections so far. Morris is tomorrow with only 1 objection so far.

I think it's a case of the other guy being 0-6 and can't wait for Alexander to come back. He also has Portis and could use Betts as a backup should something go wrong. There are probably some angry owners (particularly in my division) but no collusion here.

Bobblehead
10-20-2006, 02:11 PM
On the surface, the owner who gave up Morris for Betts would appear to be a fantasy football buffoon. But you shouldn't be vetoing trades unless there is a hint of collusion between owners. Who's to say how some owners value players. If the commish or other owners start vetoing trades, it stifles rather than encourages competition.

I absolutely agree.

In another thread I laid out what happened in one of my pools. (Long story short - Commish said it wasn't fair and vetoed it. I kicked up a fuss and had it re-instated). I traded a defensive player for a WR. Since the trade that was so slanted, C. Henry hasn't played a snap due to one game team disciplinary action, a bye, and currently a 2 game NFL suspension. He also has a DUI hearing on Nov 27 and may be suspended for 4 more weeks. So much for the "unfair" trade.

burn_baby_burn
10-20-2006, 03:06 PM
I had a coach who wanted Kellen Winslow so bad that he offered up Steve Smith for him in week 1. Of course the other coach accepted (he allready had Gonzalez). I had one of the coaches phone me to complain about how unfair the trade was. The top receiver in the league for an unproven player. Other coaches argued that Gates would not be enough to land Smith in a two player trade. I had over half the league complain about it so I had to veto it.

Bobblehead
10-20-2006, 03:47 PM
As long a the majority of the league complains, I can possible see it done.

In my case, the Commish was acting on his own. The way it was resolved was it was put to the rest of the league. One other person complained, so it went through. This league ony required 1 WR (there are 3 RB/WR flex positions, but I have loaded those with RBs; Tomlinson, W Dunn, F Gore, K Jones, D Foster) so I doubt C Henry will ever see the field, unless he can somehow be better than A Boldin (whom I didn't play last week because it was vs CHI. - stupid me)

Prototype
10-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Gotta remember that he's in a keeper pool. He may not have been able to keep Alexander, and that may have been the best package to help his team in the meantime (and inbetween time).

I'm in a keeper pool and it's hard to balance the rosters at the end of the year.

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
10-21-2006, 10:31 AM
I had a coach who wanted Kellen Winslow so bad that he offered up Steve Smith for him in week 1. Of course the other coach accepted (he allready had Gonzalez). I had one of the coaches phone me to complain about how unfair the trade was. The top receiver in the league for an unproven player. Other coaches argued that Gates would not be enough to land Smith in a two player trade. I had over half the league complain about it so I had to veto it.

I think any FF league should have clear rules that spell out if or when trades can be challenged. Giving the commissioner the sole responsibility puts too much power in the hands of one person. In my 12-team league, owners can veto any trade by majority vote. In 9 years, we have never over-turned a trade (and there have been some doozies that raised eyebrows).

Our league's constitution spells out the rules surrounding trades (and just about anything else we can think of). If you are in a long-term league I recommend setting up a league constitution to help cover various scenarios. Here's an example of what ours looks like:

http://www3.telus.net/fuzzymcgillicuddy/WFFL%20files/WFFL%20Constitution.htm

Feel free to use as much or as little as you like.

burn_baby_burn
10-24-2006, 09:14 AM
My league has rules regarding trades as well. We used to have a league votes rule. But that didn't work because some coaches would vote against every trade regardless, then other coaches would veto their trades out of spite. It was a real mess and no trades were ever allowed. Last season I went with the commish (myself) deciding, but I needed feedback from over 50% of the league to rule against a trade. If a coach is against a trade he must post why on the main page of the league.