PDA

View Full Version : Might as well get your sports fill in.

CaramonLS
10-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Dodgers - STL game on right now.

Serious what the ###### is a game doing starting at 11am our time.

It seriously perplexes me how you can play playoff baseball during the freaken daytime. Talk about not attracting a good audience.

calf
10-05-2004, 12:29 PM
They still get the fans out...somehow...

6-0 STL in the 4th

CaramonLS
10-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Get fans out? Its a freaking sell out I think.

ratech
10-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Of course it's a sell out, but I think he means TV audience. People other than the cities that are playing are not skipping work to watch. Day games are part of baseball, but leave them for the weekends in the playoffs.

calf
10-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Yea - I meant TV audience...plus it's also a little foreign to me that so many people skip work to go to a baseball game, even in reg. season(like, what would the attendance be if there was a Flames game on a Wednesday afternoon in March?).

7-2 top of the seventh

RedHot25
10-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by calf@Oct 5 2004, 07:33 PM
Yea - I meant TV audience...plus it's also a little foreign to me that so many people skip work to go to a baseball game, even in reg. season(like, what would the attendance be if there was a Flames game on a Wednesday afternoon in March?).

7-2 top of the seventh
Ha, yah, I hear you. But like someone said, day baseball games are just part of baseball - they have been around forever.

The majors have them a lot during the regular season. The Cannons, when they were still in Calgary, quite often had "nooners".

Now, I am not in business/management/marketing, so I may be a bit out to lunch on this one, but...isn't part of the rationale for day games to make it so that you can have, for example, a sales meeting outside of the office? Or pitch your product to a potential customer during the course of the game, with a little schmoozing per se?

moon
10-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Well I am sure that Games 3,4 and 6 of any of the play-off series still would have been a sell out if the Flames had played in the afternoon.

Really you are only taking the afternoon off of work as it would be easy to go to work in the morning and hit the ball park for a 1pm or even noon start with the stadiums mainly being downtown.

Also who can;t afford to take one day off of work to see your favortie team in the play-offs?

JiriHrdina
10-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Wow. I can't believe this upsets some people. Daytime baseball is one of the greatest things about the sport. Actually the rise of evening games is more of an example of baseball "selling-out" then day games are.

nfotiu
10-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Oct 5 2004, 10:37 PM
Wow. I can't believe this upsets some people. Daytime baseball is one of the greatest things about the sport. Actually the rise of evening games is more of an example of baseball "selling-out" then day games are.
I agree with you that it is cool and it is traditional, but I believe the only reason it happens is that fox paid extra to not have any other games go against their prime time game.

JiriHrdina
10-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by nfotiu+Oct 5 2004, 04:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nfotiu @ Oct 5 2004, 04:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JiriHrdina@Oct 5 2004, 10:37 PM
I agree with you that it is cool and it is traditional, but I believe the only reason it happens is that fox paid extra to not have any other games go against their prime time game. [/b][/quote]
I'm not sure, however its important to note that this isn't anything new. The playoffs have always included matinees as long as I can remember. In fact I remembers sneaking a walkman into jr. high classes to keep tabs on games. Good memories.

CaramonLS
10-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Well if I was a kid in STL or LA, i would be freaking p*ssed off.

You wonder why baseball has the oldest fan base of any professional sport? This is why. This kinda stuff just screws over the younger fans.

JiriHrdina
10-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by CaramonLS@Oct 5 2004, 05:46 PM

You wonder why baseball has the oldest fan base of any professional sport? This is why. This kinda stuff just screws over the younger fans.
Well if my kid was in school I'd let him pay hookey.

That probably makes me a bad parent but what the heck.

Again, afternoon games are a big part of the baseball's tradition. When I was a kid and a HUGE fan it never bothered me that I couldn't watch the games. First, because it was usually only the occasional game that my team was involved with and two because it made it kinda cool.

CaramonLS
10-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina+Oct 5 2004, 11:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JiriHrdina @ Oct 5 2004, 11:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CaramonLS@Oct 5 2004, 05:46 PM

Well if my kid was in school I'd let him pay hookey.

That probably makes me a bad parent but what the heck.

Again, afternoon games are a big part of the baseball's tradition. When I was a kid and a HUGE fan it never bothered me that I couldn't watch the games. First, because it was usually only the occasional game that my team was involved with and two because it made it kinda cool. [/b][/quote]
Not every parent is forgiving as you are.

When I was in Grade 9, staying the entire game of the Chicago-Calgary Game 4 triple OT Loss... my parents made me go to every class I had the next morning... Ug I did not feel very well during that.

Resolute 14
10-05-2004, 06:35 PM
I remember sneaking a walkman into class in 1993 when the Jays were in the ALCS against the ChiSox. Daytime baseball is as natural as nighttime hockey. Even if it only happens because of TV considerations.

nfotiu
10-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Man, the fox radar graphic and sound efx are bordering on the Fox puck tackiness. The obvious next move is to move the fire to the ball on fastballs!