PDA

View Full Version : Young talent at QB in the NFL

Sylvanfan
10-17-2006, 02:13 PM
I remember about 4 years or so back when SI had a cover touting that crop of young QB's as perhaps the best ever. Well I don't know if it materialized quite like they thought as Tim Couch and Joey Harrington didn't exactly justify themselves. I don't really remember who else was on the list, I think Brady and McNabb were, but I don't know if they included Peyton. I suppose Micheal Vick might have been in there too but it may have been before he came into the league.

Right now it seems to me like there are quite a few good young guys who have come into the league over the past 3-4 seasons.

Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, Phillip Rivers are all currently guiding playoff calibre type teams. Others like Alex Smith, Vince Young, and now Matt Leinhart are starting to emerge and show some promise. Than theres a guy like Losman, who does have talent starting for the Bills. Another couple guys on the sidelines right now in Jay Cutler and Aaron Rogers might move into starting roles next year.

Is this crop of young QB's something to hype, or is it just like any other crop where a few will fall off the face of the Earth? Or is it just as simple as 32 teams in the NFL and one third have starters over the age of 33, another third have one 27-33 and the rest have a guy younger than that?

socalwingfan
10-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I think you can look at the offenses in the college game and how pretty much every big program now has a pro-style offense they are running. The days of the wishbone offense and running 95% of the plays are a thing of the past.

burn_baby_burn
10-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Leinhart has looked impressive in his first two starts. Allthough they were both loses. He doesn't have that Deer in the Head lights look. He will be one to watch, and it doesn't hurt that he has Fitzgerald and Boldin the throw to as well.

You forgot to mention Brodie Croyle in the list with Rodgers and Cutler. ;)

socalwingfan
10-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Leinhart has looked impressive in his first two starts. Allthough they were both loses. He doesn't have that Deer in the Head lights look.

USC football is the NFL in LA - I don't think people realize how huge the Trojans are in LA. Leinhart/Bush/Palmer are all used to playing in front of 80,000 + crowds and nationally televised games every week. The top USC players are already huge celebrities before they get to the NFL so they are prepared for the lights and glitz that a lot of other players don't experience until they make the pros.

Sylvanfan
10-17-2006, 03:01 PM
You forgot to mention Brodie Croyle in the list with Rodgers and Cutler. ;)

Depending on Trent Green's health, Croyle may find himself with the chance to be leading an offence as early as next year, maybe even earlier. As long as I've been a Chiefs fan the team hasn't featured a home grown guy at QB that the team drafted and developed.

Steve DeBerg
Dave Krieg
Joe Montana
Steve Buerlein
Elvis Grbac/Rich Gannon
Trent Green

All brought in from other organizations.

Bobblehead
10-17-2006, 03:14 PM
USC football is the NFL in LA - I don't think people realize how huge the Trojans are in LA. Leinhart/Bush/Palmer are all used to playing in front of 80,000 + crowds and nationally televised games every week. The top USC players are already huge celebrities before they get to the NFL so they are prepared for the lights and glitz that a lot of other players don't experience until they make the pros.

I think you could see that last night.

When he was going out there for the final drive, I was thinking that this probably isn't as big a moment as in the National Championship game last year.

I don't know if Alex Smith has had the harder path (with the expectations, and being saddled to a brutal team) or Vince Young because of the whole QB controversy in Tenn ever since the draft.

That said, once the finally sign with a team the current crop doesn't seem to have the fragility of the last few groups of young QBs. And by that I mean that it seemed you would see 1 good QB for every 5 drafted, but recently the balance has shifted to the successful side of things.

Displaced Flames fan
10-17-2006, 04:17 PM
I think the talent group is something to hype.

I think Carson Palmer will end up in the HOF. (My little brother played against him in High School actually.)

I think Roethelisberger, Leinart, Cutler, Smith, Rivers, Manning and perhaps Young have above average chances to lead teams for a decade or more.

I don't think there has been a group this talented since the early 80's.

I didn't include Leftwich because he is a bit older than the rest. He's a gooder as well.

Antithesis
10-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Byron Leftwich doesn't give me that "superstar" vibe ... he seems to be one of those guys where, if he plays OK, his team does OK, but not the type that could lift his team out of a bad game (Manning, Palmer, and yes, Leinart) ... if that makes any sense.

Sainters7
10-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Maybe people dont realize it because he plays like a veteran, but Drew Brees is only 27. Plus, I didnt read this entire thread so I dont know if he's been mentioned or not yet, but David Carr is quietly having a dynamite year. Alex Smith has actually looked pretty solid this year as well, with a slowly-building strong offence. I think the strong play of Gore has taken away teams' tendencies of just zereoing in on the pass. Vernon Davis will be a fantastic TE I think as well, too bad he's been injured most of this year. And of course now that Smith has a year under his belt, it has definitely helped.

Sylvanfan
10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Maybe people dont realize it because he plays like a veteran, but Drew Brees is only 27. Plus, I didnt read this entire thread so I dont know if he's been mentioned or not yet, but David Carr is quietly having a dynamite year. Alex Smith has actually looked pretty solid this year as well, with a slowly-building strong offence. I think the strong play of Gore has taken away teams' tendencies of just zereoing in on the pass. Vernon Davis will be a fantastic TE I think as well, too bad he's been injured most of this year. And of course now that Smith has a year under his belt, it has definitely helped.

Brees is young, but I think I would put him in the next age group. Although he still could lead a team for another 8-9 years quite easily. Guys like Brees and Pennington are players who had good starts to their careers but than seemed to get side tracked by injury. So certainly health will be something to look for in this group of QB's as well.

I was looking at some stats on Troy Aikman and how he had a rough start coming into the NFL as a number one pick leading his team to a 1-15 record. But in his second year the Cowboys get some help and he played much better and eventually they became a Superbowl team. Smith has looked much better this year as the Niners have competed in all their games save that debaucle in Arrowhead. Another high draft position to pick up a couple more pieces and the Niners might break through next year.

Lurch
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I think the talent group is something to hype.

I think Carson Palmer will end up in the HOF. (My little brother played against him in High School actually.)

I think Roethelisberger, Leinart, Cutler, Smith, Rivers, Manning and perhaps Young have above average chances to lead teams for a decade or more.

I don't think there has been a group this talented since the early 80's.

I didn't include Leftwich because he is a bit older than the rest. He's a gooder as well.

Leftwich is younger than Palmer, though I don't think they are in the same class. It will be interesting to see how Palmer does through the rest of this year - he has been mediocre at best so far this year. Really though, considering the injury, probably amazing to be playing already.

I think overall the young talent is pretty typical of a "generation", and a bunch will flame out. Look at the last big group of guys like Peyton, McNabb, Culpepper, Brooks, Bulger, Hasselback, Pennington, Delhomme, Griese etc (guys 29 to 31 type range) All looked great at one point or another, but only about half are solid starters today (Not to mention the ones that entirely flamed out like Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf and Cade McCown who were well regarded draft picks). Just my opinion, but there is nothing at all unusual about the current crop, good or bad.

burn_baby_burn
10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
The thing I like about Leftwich is his heart. He takes a beating and still gets up and competes. It s hard not to root for him when you watch him on TV.

Sylvan fan! Looks you have been following the Chiefs about the same amount of time that I have. They never do poorly enough to warrant a top QB in the draft. The chances of Croyle being a productive starting QB in the NFL are probably slim. But time will tell. He could be leading the Chiefs offense as early as this week if something happens to Huard.