PDA

View Full Version : 2006/2007 NBA Thread

flames_1987
10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
With pre-season going thought it be good to get an NBA thread going for the basketball fans of Calgary puck.

The things I'm looking at going into the year are,
1. What to expect from the Raptors and Bargani? With how bad the east is, I beleive there is a chance they could fight for the 8th playoff spot. However I think it's gonna be a year or two away, after BC has got more time to build this team.
2. How good can the Bulls be? With Wallace they look like they have enough to be one of the best teams in this league. They're expectations have defintley taken a big rise from previous years
3. Who's gonna win ROY?

socalwingfan
10-13-2006, 08:44 AM
1. Don't know too much about the Raptors - can't comment
2. Bulls will be alright, should be able to win at least 1 playoff series - Wallace is getting older don't see him making that much of an impact
3. Jordan Farmar of the Lakers - this kid is going to be good

O_M_A
10-13-2006, 10:19 AM
1. The Raptors will be in the fight for a playoff spot IMO. The East is totally unpredictable this year. I still think that the Raptors are one more year away... but they'll be fun to watch this year. T.J. Ford is going to make a big difference..

2. Depends on their backcourt. Wallace is going to help out that team in a big way in the frountcourt.. he solidifies them. Gordon and Kurt Heinrich need to continue their development in order for the Bulls to make a run at it. They'll be a good team IMO in the second tier of the east (with Washington, Detroit etc..)... but I don't think they can challenge New Jersey and Miami yet.

3. Brandon Roy in Portland. He should get a lot of playing time and the guy has ridiculous skills. Maybe Morrison in Charlotte.. he'd be a 'sexy' pick.

octothorp
10-13-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to the Raps this year; my expectations are that they should be able to play at or around .500 all year and avoid the long losing streaks that plagued the beginning and end of last season. They may even have a winning streak or two in them. I expect them to finish 8th, but I think they could really finish anywhere from 6th to 13th. I've been impressed with the chemistry they've shown so far in pre-season; it may not take them long to gel. The question is whether they can make a big step on the defensive end. Bargnani will do okay (and will be very good over the long-term), but centres always take a bit longer to develop.

I agree with O_M_A on Chicago. They won't quite reach the elite tier, but they should be a lock for the 4th to 6th spots.

I think ROY goes to Foye.

OilersBaby
10-14-2006, 01:53 AM
As long as JJ Redick doesn't get ROY...I can't stand him. I think it will be Roy though.

Roy for ROY!!!!

FlamesFanInEdm
10-14-2006, 03:19 AM
I still think ROY is Morrisons to lose and Im also quite excited to watch the new look Raptors. I think they def have the potential to challenge for 7th or 8th in the East. Should be an entertaining year.
________
Mazda Mxr-01 (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_MXR-01)

KTown
10-14-2006, 09:08 AM
It's hard to get a feel for the Raptors, with all there overseas players.

That being said I think CB4 and TJ Ford, will be an awesom one two punch there really good friends and I think TJ will find Bosh, unlike ball hog Mike James in the past. Thank god he's gone, hes not a team player.

I'm excited I think the Raptor will be more competitive this year.

O_M_A
10-14-2006, 12:20 PM
It's hard to get a feel for the Raptors, with all there overseas players.

That being said I think CB4 and TJ Ford, will be an awesom one two punch there really good friends and I think TJ will find Bosh, unlike ball hog Mike James in the past. Thank god he's gone, hes not a team player.

I'm excited I think the Raptor will be more competitive this year.

CB4 and Ford will be dynamite. Ford is a pass-first point guard that has no problem spreading the ball around.. that'll be a huge difference compared to what Mike James brought last year.

This team has the potential to do big things down the road. Bosh and Bargnani (should he develop properly) will be a nightmarish matchup in a couple of years. This year, it'll depend on their commitment to defence and rebounding... and how quickly they can gel. They look good in pre-season but we'll see..... the opportunity for a playoff spot is there as the East is wide open as usual.

As for ROY, the more I think about it... the more i like Morrison's chances. He's going to be counted on to put up points on that Charlotte club so he should look good in terms of stats. Don't count out Roy though... the guy has sick skills. Somebody mentioned Foye, he could be there too. Although he'll have some competition for playing time in Minnesota i would bet.

I'm curious to see how the Suns do this year. If they had Amare last year... I think they would have won it all. If his knee is healthy.... they should do great things.

JohnnyFlame
10-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm glad the Raptors are in the East and also glad that they will be playing a real uptempo style. I'm of the opinion that the RAPS will be worth watching this year which is a big upgrade over the last few years. How many wins will it translate to -- they should get better over the course of the year and I think they could well challenge for the eighth spot.

Lack of rebounding -- questionable defense could really hurt them though in the crunch if they can get to that point!!!

OILFAN #81
10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
COME ON KINGS! I can't wait to see how the Kings play this year. They picked it up once Artest came on board last year. Bibby, Artest, Miller, Abdur-Rahim, Garcia!!! Can't wait, go Kings!

FlamesFanInEdm
10-16-2006, 06:57 PM
COME ON KINGS! I can't wait to see how the Kings play this year. They picked it up once Artest came on board last year. Bibby, Artest, Miller, Abdur-Rahim, Garcia!!! Can't wait, go Kings!

I picked up Kevin Martin as a sleeper in my pool this year. Im hoping he is gonna step it up this year. But, I cant cheer for the Kings as a whole..gotta go for the Mavs and the Raptors.
________
PISSING MOVIE (http://www.####tube.com/categories/31/pissing/videos/1)

O_M_A
10-16-2006, 07:49 PM

Artest was a monster last year after the trade... and it woke up the Kings in a big way.

If Artest continues to play like he did last year (which was MVP nomination worthy...IMO)... the Kings might surprise some people. They are in tough in the West though.

On another note, it is amazing to me how much better the West is than the East. How many teams from the East would make it into the playoffs in the West? NJ and Miami for sure. Detroit probably would. Past that... I'd guess that Cleveland and Chicago would be in tough. It's crazy.

octothorp
10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Just a further note on the ROY. I know it's only the pre-season, but Garbajosa seems like he has a decent outside shot, especially given that he's doesn't seem to be on anybody's list. I wouldn't count him alongside Morrision, Roy and Foye (and he definitely doesn't have as much career potential as most of the other candidates), but it's not inconceivable that an international veteran with a very well-rounded game could out-perform all the other rookies from a draft class that lacks any instant-impact players. As well, he should get the playing time to compete, since he seems capable of being used in a wide range of situations. I wouldn't be surprised to see him average around 10-12 ppg this year, which most years is good enough for a top five in rookie scoring.

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
10-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Oh Ya, Raps are undefeated so far, its only the preseason but its better than being winless. hopefully they can make it to the playoffs this year. or at least challange for the 8th playoff spot.

Other than the Raps, the only other team I like is the Suns, pretty much because of Nash. I started to watch the suns because of him, and now I like the whole team.

JohnnyFlame
10-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh Ya, Raps are undefeated so far, its only the preseason but its better than being winless. hopefully they can make it to the playoffs this year. or at least challange for the 8th playoff spot.

Other than the Raps, the only other team I like is the Suns, pretty much because of Nash. I started to watch the suns because of him, and now I like the whole team.

You have to love the Suns because they are the antithesis of the boring walk down the court, feed the big man(big scorer) and sit and watch him do his thing NBA. Suns come flying down the court and hit the open guy whoever he might happen to be and fire up shots from all over the place. It's very entertaining to watch. I'm hoping the trend to small ball, team play, more depth players involved continues in the NBA.

Plus hoping Raptors are right there positioned to play in a league heading in that direction.

OilersBaby
10-20-2006, 11:32 AM

they should do well as they have lots of depth. as long as they do better than the Fakers..um I mean Lakers, it's all good in my books:)

socalwingfan
10-20-2006, 11:44 AM
they should do well as they have lots of depth. as long as they do better than the Fakers..um I mean Lakers, it's all good in my books:)

I'm afraid it's going to be a tough year for the cowbell ringing Queens fans ;) Lamar Odom is going to have an all-star year, i think the tragedy he suffered this is summer is going to drive him to finally live up to his potential.

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
10-20-2006, 04:59 PM
You have to love the Suns because they are the antithesis of the boring walk down the court, feed the big man(big scorer) and sit and watch him do his thing NBA. Suns come flying down the court and hit the open guy whoever he might happen to be and fire up shots from all over the place. It's very entertaining to watch. I'm hoping the trend to small ball, team play, more depth players involved continues in the NBA.

Plus hoping Raptors are right there positioned to play in a league heading in that direction.

Ya, it is exciting to watch them play, more so than most other teams.

Antithesis
10-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Definitely think the Raps will be an improved team this year, and of course the Suns will still be a blast to cheer for.

I think the Raptors actually have a shot at being one of the most-improved teams in the league this year, they seem to be doing very well thus far in the pre-season.