PDA

View Full Version : Corey Lidle Dies in Plane Crash

RedHot25
10-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Quite sad....

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=180467&hubname=

ESPN reports that New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/player_bio.asp?player_id=1719) died in a crash that saw a single-engine plane collide into a 50-storey condominium tower in Manhattan.
A law enforcement official told The Associated Press that a member of the New York Yankees organization was aboard the plane that crashed into the highrise. FAA records show the plane was registered to Lidle.
FBI officials also say he was the only person aboard the plane.

Frequitude
10-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh my god, that's crazy.

OILFAN #81
10-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah watching CNN right now and that's really sad. 4 people are said to be dead. Lidle was the only one on the plane but 3 others are said to have lost their life. The weather conditions were pretty bad and they think played a factor in this. I remember watching him pitch a few days ago in game 4 vs the Tigers and watched him pitch on the Jays....RIP Cory.

Prototype
10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Nuts... simply nuts.

OilersBaby
10-12-2006, 06:38 AM
His parents, wife, and little son live in Southern California and everyone here is so sad...I think its kind of mean though of all the news and reporter people to park themselves out of his Covina home and try to interview them all at a sad time like this...it's been on the news since I woke up a few minutes ago.

Time to go to yoga!

JiriHrdina
10-12-2006, 09:32 AM
A good article here with reactions from players and other folks:
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061012/SPORTS01/610120356/1035/SPORTS

Including this from Giambi who was obviously quite close to Lidle:
"Right now, I am really in a state of shock, as I am sure the entire MLB family is. My thoughts are with Cory's relatives and the loved ones of the others who were injured or killed in this plane crash. I have known Cory and his wife, Melanie, for over 18 years and watched his son grow up. We played high school ball together and have remained close throughout our careers. We were excited to be reunited in New York this year and I am just devastated to hear this news."

mykalberta
10-13-2006, 11:09 AM
I am sad for his family and financial dependents - not for him. If he cant fly in bad weather he shouldnt be flying, period - the weather is like driving under the influence - it isnt an excuse but meerly and easy scapegoat for those who dont want to blame who is really responsible. The familites in the condo should file a civil death suit against his estate - not to bankrupt the family but they should be compensated.

MYK

ken0042
10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
If he cant fly in bad weather he shouldnt be flying, period

I'm just curious, do you believe some pilots are born knowing how to fly in bad weather?

JiriHrdina
10-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I am sad for his family and financial dependents - not for him. If he cant fly in bad weather he shouldnt be flying, period - the weather is like driving under the influence - it isnt an excuse but meerly and easy scapegoat for those who dont want to blame who is really responsible. The familites in the condo should file a civil death suit against his estate - not to bankrupt the family but they should be compensated.

MYK

A few comments, and someone can correct me if any of this is wrong.

1. The only people that died were him and his flight instructor. No one in the apartments were killed. So there would be no death suit
2. Shortly after take off Lidle called into the tower with some sort of mechanical problem. I've read a couple stories that speculate that there was a fuel problem and that they were trying to find somewhere to land. Regardless, it's pure assumption at this point to conclude that the accident was caused by bad weather alone, if at all.

Resolute 14
10-13-2006, 12:06 PM
The familites in the condo should file a civil death suit against his estate - not to bankrupt the family but they should be compensated.

MYK

Assuming anyone else had died, that is what insurance is for.