PDA

View Full Version : Jays name Gibbons head coach

JiriHrdina
10-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Clickage (http://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article.jsp?content=20041004_101720_4564)

I know some fans were hoping for a more "high profile" manager, however I like this decision. I think the team played with more energy under Gibbons and he worked well with a lot of the young players. Moreover, his in-game management was better than Tosca's (which isn't hard).

Thoughts?

Jiggy_12
10-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Not much of an improvement over Tosca. I was actually pro-Tosca, but if they want to make a change, why this? Very similar managerial styles IMO

calculoso
10-04-2004, 11:29 AM
I was thinking they'd wait until the end of the season and then get Art Howe, since he and JP have ties due to their Oakland days.

Guess not. Too much money? Who knows.

I do like Whitt being named bench coach though. A potential Manager-in-waiting, not unlike Playfair on the Flames?

RedHot25
10-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by calculoso@Oct 4 2004, 05:29 PM
I was thinking they'd wait until the end of the season and then get Art Howe, since he and JP have ties due to their Oakland days.

Guess not. Too much money? Who knows.

I do like Whitt being named bench coach though. A potential Manager-in-waiting, not unlike Playfair on the Flames?
Probably too much money...not specifically for Art Howe, but even for somebody of that nature (i.e. a "big name" per se).

I agree though, an internal replacement is interesting - it keeps the general philosophy going....there's a difference from Tosca, but not huge. Not as much a difference as if an external manager/person had been hired.

CaramonLS
10-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Lets see who they decide to name as their pitching coach now that Patterson is gone.

Although I will definately give Gibbons his due for bringing Menachino into the game to pitch to the Yankees... priceless.

calculoso
10-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by CaramonLS@Oct 4 2004, 01:04 PM
Lets see who they decide to name as their pitching coach now that Patterson is gone.

I guess you didn't read the article... ;)

Joining him on staff are two new coaches also known for getting the most out of their players: Ernie Whitt and Brad Arnsberg.

Whitt, a fan favourite during his career with the Blue Jays, takes over from Joe Breeden as bench coach while Arnsberg replaces Gil Patterson as pitching coach

(snip)

Arnsberg was promoted from triple-A Syracuse, where he also served as pitching coach.

Another intense motivator, Arnsberg has helped many of Toronto's arms of the future, including Dave Bush, Jason Frasor, Brandon League, Gustavo Chacin, Adam Peterson and Dustin McGowan.

CaramonLS
10-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by calculoso+Oct 4 2004, 07:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calculoso @ Oct 4 2004, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CaramonLS@Oct 4 2004, 01:04 PM

I guess you didn't read the article... ;)

Joining him on staff are two new coaches also known for getting the most out of their players: Ernie Whitt and Brad Arnsberg.

Whitt, a fan favourite during his career with the Blue Jays, takes over from Joe Breeden as bench coach while Arnsberg replaces Gil Patterson as pitching coach

(snip)

Arnsberg was promoted from triple-A Syracuse, where he also served as pitching coach.

Another intense motivator, Arnsberg has helped many of Toronto's arms of the future, including Dave Bush, Jason Frasor, Brandon League, Gustavo Chacin, Adam Peterson and Dustin McGowan.
[/b][/quote]
Geez I read every article on CP I would be replying to things days old!

:P well I usually go by the snippit in most cases.