PDA

View Full Version : Low quality, off-topic-ness, bickering, general malaise

Five-hole
10-03-2006, 11:56 PM
I've complained about it a couple of times in threads already. This place, in my opinion, is going to ****. It seems like almost every thread degenrates into ridiculous sewing-circle bickering involving topics about as far away from hockey as you can imagine.

It almost always involves the same people, too, and some of them are long-time regulars. I'm not gonna name names, I'm sure y'all know who I mean.

The mods are generally good at moderating newcomers to the forum for "not contributing", but there are some long-time regulars that detract more than they add with their off-topic baiting, jabs, and general ****-flinging.

Consider this a plea to clean this place up. Have the balls to moderate indiscriminate of post-count or team fandom. The "in-crowd" has turned this place to dog****.

JiriHrdina
10-04-2006, 12:29 AM
When have we ever considered post count when moderating?

Actually I'm going to expand further. I think the aim of the site has always been not to over-moderate and allow the community to self-police. Moreover, there are tools provided to aid in this - reporting threads, ignore functionality, etc.

Bottom line the quality of the board is set by those that contribute to it. We can moderate by elminating those that violate the board guidelines but when you start reaching into the mods being expected to deliniate between high quality and low quality posts it becomes too much in my view.

Moreover, a lot of the ****ing matches start with someone telling another poster that their post sucks rather than simply debating the substance of the post.

You want a better forum...make it a better forum. The onus rests with the community, not the mods.

/end of rant.

Reggie Dunlop
10-04-2006, 12:38 AM
I dunno. Hot chicks and Trash Talk are just as much a part of professional sports as dissecting coaching strategy.

There's a smattering here for sure, but I guess it depends upon your smatter tolerance. The old adage of not clicking on threads that don't interest you is something you should consider.

Mods do a pretty good job here, in my opinion. And last time I checked, they aren't being paid for it. So give them a break. The real gutter dwellers are disposed of in timely fashion.

Five-hole
10-04-2006, 01:02 AM
I think the aim of the site has always been not to over-moderate and allow the community to self-police.

Moreover, a lot of the ****ing matches start with someone telling another poster that their post sucks rather than simply debating the substance of the post.

I think with that contradiction, you have what's happened.

Five-hole
10-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Bottom line the quality of the board is set by those that contribute to it. We can moderate by elminating those that violate the board guidelines but when you start reaching into the mods being expected to deliniate between high quality and low quality posts it becomes too much in my view.

I never asked to differentiate between what is high quality and what is low quality. I'm asking to differentiate between what is on topic and what is not.

You want a better forum...make it a better forum. The onus rests with the community, not the mods.

Maybe it does. If that's the case, that's what I'm trying to do. I decided that appealing to the powers that be was the best first step.

I was not calling the moderators out, Jiri, for not doing their jobs. I'm calling out everybody. I'm calling out the perpetrators for continually -- and I mean continually -- getting into ****ing matches, baiting, etc. I'm calling out everybody to have a dimmer view of that. I'm also suggesting, given that the "moderator" title intrinsically carries with it the authority rod, that if any of the mods feel the same way I do, to let those at fault know about it.

Joe Poster is gonna care much more if you tell them to cut the crap than if I do. If I do it, as you pointed out, it's liable simply to start exactly what it is I'm hoping gets curtailed.

Five-hole
10-04-2006, 01:12 AM
I dunno. Hot chicks and Trash Talk are just as much a part of professional sports as dissecting coaching strategy.

There's a smattering here for sure, but I guess it depends upon your smatter tolerance. The old adage of not clicking on threads that don't interest you is something you should consider.

Mods do a pretty good job here, in my opinion. And last time I checked, they aren't being paid for it. So give them a break. The real gutter dwellers are disposed of in timely fashion.

Trash talk is one thing. It's fine when it has to do WITH the sport (or hell, even the cities). It's something else when it involves two guys who don't like each other flingin' their **** all over the place.

And I agree with the adage not to click on the threads that don't interest you. But this crap is everywhere, including threads like the game thread that .. don't really have an alternative.

As I said in my reply to Jiri, I wasn't specifically calling out the moderators. I was calling out everybody who gives a damn.

Reggie Dunlop
10-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Trash talk is one thing. It's fine when it has to do WITH the sport (or hell, even the cities). It's something else when it involves two guys who don't like each other flingin' their **** all over the place.

And I agree with the adage not to click on the threads that don't interest you. But this crap is everywhere, including threads like the game thread that .. don't really have an alternative.

As I said in my reply to Jiri, I wasn't specifically calling out the moderators. I was calling out everybody who gives a damn.

Well, I don't know a method by which one's personal sensibilities can be accomodated on a public forum. We all wince at some things, and moderators can only partially stem the flow of content. It's a tricky balance.

There's enough salient content here to keep you content. Find another forum if you disagree.

Reggie Dunlop
10-04-2006, 01:38 AM
I never asked to differentiate between what is high quality and what is low quality. I'm asking to differentiate between what is on topic and what is not.

Yes you are. It was made implicit in your thread title.

Threads will naturally segue as a result of human interaction. If you're objecting to genuine thread derailments, then yes, you have a point and the moderators are vigilant in that regard.

droopydrew19
10-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Ill just say one thing.....

Things were better when Gordon was on his self imposed ban. What happened with that?

Flash Walken
10-11-2006, 02:14 AM
which one is gordon?

SpitFire40
10-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Ill just say one thing.....

Things were better when Gordon was on his self imposed ban. What happened with that?

This in itself can be considered a personal attack. I quit due to constant ****ing matches, 90% of the time i'm baited on them, and I'll admit I bite most of the time because I don't think it's fair for someone to go out and insult someone they really don't know.

I could take it in stride, and ignore it (and I do thanks to the ignore list) and when I see someone trying to bait me I instantly put them on my ignore list.

If I bother you so much drew, feel free to do the same. Nothing is stopping you.

I've also stated, I don't post for quality, if I have something to add I'll do it whether it be training camp photo's post game takes, ect. But in general this board is just an outlet of entertainment. I read the forum when I took my hiatus and there were still the usual suspects baiting users.

droopydrew19
10-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I just wonder how you can **** off so many people. Your flippant remarks are ignorant and derail many threads.

I will however give you a compliment. Your passion for this webboard is unrivaled by most. You don't get a post count like yours just bs'ing.

I just wish you would think before you talk sometimes.

SpitFire40
10-12-2006, 12:58 AM
I just wonder how you can **** off so many people. Your flippant remarks are ignorant and derail many threads.

I will however give you a compliment. Your passion for this webboard is unrivaled by most. You don't get a post count like yours just bs'ing.

I just wish you would think before you talk sometimes.

You see, that's where people have me confused... My post count is irrelevant, I don't post to +1 I just say what I feel like at any point in time. I don't have a huge passion for this, I work on a computer so I flip here as entertainment.

I don't care if i'm percieved as ignorant, that's all in the eye of the beholder many people have differing opinions especially on the internet, this place certainly isn't going to change and even back when it was at it's best it was full of arguements and ****ing matches, that's what makes this place and message boards so entertaining.

To suggest this place was better off when I took a leave was probably true because that's one less person who has the grapefruits to speak off the cuff as often as I do.

In the end, I post to crack myself up with the crap I say and seeing people take me so seriously. Like I said, I'm not changing and the ignore list is at your disposal droopy drew.

ken0042
10-12-2006, 08:41 AM
OK, I'm confused. (Yes, what else is new.) :)

Is Spitfire40 also known as another poster? Possibly with a handle that resembles a popular hockey team name?

droopydrew19
10-12-2006, 10:14 PM
OK, I'm confused. (Yes, what else is new.) :)

Is Spitfire40 also known as another poster? Possibly with a handle that resembles a popular hockey team name?

That would be correct sir. As for you Gordon I will continue to call your crass actions into question whenever they happen.

I'm glad you get entertainment by having people think you are acting like a fool. Gotta love freedom of speech.

PS. Ignore is for the weak.

SpitFire40
10-12-2006, 11:52 PM
That would be correct sir. As for you Gordon I will continue to call your crass actions into question whenever they happen.

I'm glad you get entertainment by having people think you are acting like a fool. Gotta love freedom of speech.

PS. Ignore is for the weak.

Which leads directly to threads being de-railed... you may not choose to ignore me, but I'll be adding you if that's your intention.

Superfraggle
10-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Hehe...I'm sure this is destroying Five-hole, but I find it hilarious the way the thread title has remained so very apt in a whole new context. For those who are still confused about irony...this is it.