PDA

View Full Version : NFL week 4 so far....

transplant99
10-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Green Bay is done and buried. That makes them 6-6 in last 12 at Lambeau. The Favre era is coming to a very unfortunate end IMO. I mourn.

Indy looks awful good on O, but that D is suspect. Jacksonville almost pulled a major upset here.

NE was somewhat fortunate to beat Buffalo in the manner they did. NFL record for wins in a row. Brady is unbelievable.

Washington has lost its luster of the Gibbs return...losing in Cleveland to a bad team.

Houston thumped the Raiders. Good.

Chicagos defense may be one of the best in the league...too bad their offense is college level without Grossman. Owens now has more TD catches than the entire Philly wide receiver's combined last year...all year.

Cincy is my biggest disappointment so far....why they switched to a raw rookie before camp even opened is beyond me, and now looking like a mistake. Especially with Kitna holding a clipboard. Steelers arent a whole lot better.

Watching the Falcons/Panthers game... "he hate me" aka Rod Smart just blew his knee out CATCHING a kickoff...very strange play. Atlanta looks like they are for real....tho i still have my doubts.

Im lost in my picks this year...just cant figure some things out.

flames_1987
10-03-2004, 07:42 PM
I disagree with your Indy/ Jax summary, I think Jax has shown us they can be a really good team this year, so calling it almost a real big upset, I think thats a strech.

Being A Colts Fan with sunday ticket is getting funner and funner every week. This offense is just so good its sick, not only do they have amazing starters but they've got back ups that could start for a lot of teams. Dallas Clark, Dominic Rhodes, Stokley. But that Defense..yuck! Shannon Sharpe made the burn of the week, saying he has a better chance of hitting a grand slam in Yankee stadium with a tooth pick then they do at winning the SB with this defense. They are improving however and they do have a few injuries. If they can just be just a "bad' defense, then nobody can stop Indy. Indy has the threat in a game to score on every possesion. If this D can mature this year, Indy can beat anybody, thats right Pats.

Displaced Flames fan
10-03-2004, 07:49 PM
I'd rather see Shannon in Orange and Blue for another year, but I've found him to be entertaining...and I know he's knowledgeable and smart.

Last week he was bragging during the pick segment and said, "If I tell you grass is turning into cheese, start hustling crackers." I was rolling. I love that guy.

Sylvanfan
10-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Well from what I can tell heres the early contenders

AFC

New England always seem to play just well enough to beat the opposition. The streak will end sometime this season, but they look like the top AFC team so far

Indianapolis the defence is good enough to go with that offence to get them to the championship game again this year. The Colts have had a tough schedule so far and only a 3 point loss on the road in New England. They are right there with the Pats for the class of the AFC

Denver- clearly a step below the top two teams but better than anyone in the AFC North, and the AFC West is looking pretty weak with the Chiefs being the worst team in football so far.

Pittsburgh- almost wins the North by default as no one else is showing a heck of a lot. Still this is a division where teams can move and 9-7 could take the division

Wild Cards
Jacksonville They've had 3 tough games in a row and have come up pretty strong so far. Tough defense and an offence that can move the ball. Similar to last years Panthers

New York Football Jets Pennington runs a nice offence, and Curtis Martin has run the ball exceptionally well. I think they'll end the Pats streak this year

Other teams that could contend for playoff position are Houston, San Diego, and Baltimore

Teams that are done Kansas City (absolutly brutal so far pick defence with your top 3 pick) Miami (good defence bad offence Stamps anyone?) Tennessee 1-3 with the shedule they have left good luck.

NFC
Philly Looking like the class of the NFC so far with a good balanced team.

Seattle Have played well defensively and if it holds up they should be the team that challenges the Eagles

Atlanta Michael Vicks presence just seems to make the team as a whole play better even if Vick doesn't play well. Easier schedule in a suspect division should lead to a nice record

Minnesota Good offensive team, should win the North by default more than anything

Wild Cards seem more open in this confence to me so far

New York Giants Defence has played better than most would have though, and they have a last place schedule and some good offensive weapons.

Dallas The Tuna is always a threat and Vinny is an upgrade at QB

St.Louis Jeckyll and Hyde type team might be good enough to make a run

Detroit They have an easy schedule and the division looks a bit suspect so they might be able to make a run

Teams that are done Tampa Bay from Superbowl champs to the pre-Dungy bucs in one + years Green Bay 1-3 with a tough schedule looming in front of them makes them look like the Titans of the NFC. Washington, looks to be taking up the rear in a very competitive division. San Francisco wasn't going to contend anyway, but they might be worse than the Chiefs and the Dolphins and snag the top pick.

troutman
10-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Is it just me or are the refs/NFL going out of their way to see the Colts succeed? They changed the rules on pass interference to benefit the Colts. Every Colts drive seems to be assisted by 2-3 penalties against the defence.

The Bills are a good team and are 0-3. They gave my Pats a good scare yesterday, and could have won any of the first three games.

I think the Falcons are not really that good a team despite being 4-0.

Garcia is 2-2 with the Browns. SF is winless.

troutman
10-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Portis: Cleveland anticipated our plays

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1894707

It didn't help the Redskins that the Browns seemed to know exactly what Washington was going to do. Clinton Portis said Cleveland players were calling out the plays as soon as the Redskins came to the line of scrimmage.

"It was like running into a brick wall," Portis said. "They were literally calling our plays and hitting the gap before us."

Portis was adamant that the Browns knew exactly what running plays were coming -- including which lineman would lead the way and where the play was expected to go -- according to a Washington Post report.