PDA

View Full Version : Help a WHL newbie

Calgary Flames
10-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Looking for opinions, obviously it's not NHL quality hockey but is it just as entertaining? Or is it basically glorified midget hockey that I could see at any local rink in the city?

Sorry if i'm selling it short, but i've never focused on the WHL ever in terms of actual entertainment value.

JiriHrdina
10-02-2004, 11:10 PM
I think the quality is really good, particularly this year with a number of players returning to their junior teams that would otherwise be in the NHL. Its typically very fast, hard hitting hockey. Of course the skill level is not what it is at the NHL level, nor is the speed for that matter, but all in all it is definately entertaining. Not as entertaining as the NHL though -most likely because I don't have nearly the attachement to the Hitmen as I do to the Flames. In fact, I get most excited about watching junior hockey when watching our boy Dion.

Fire
10-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Go watch a game and find out. Tickets are cheap.

Some would consider it more entertaining then the NHL and some wouldn't.

kn
10-03-2004, 05:52 AM
My first experience was the home opener. I'm not attached to the Hitmen and was actually more interested in watching Phaneuf.

It's nowhere near as entertaining as the NHL but the speed is faster than I thought and the physical intensity is very high. These guys are putting it on the line. For the price of tickets, you can't go wrong.

Jagger
10-03-2004, 06:38 PM
I've had Rebels season tickets for many years now and absolutely love watching the dub.

The hockey is intense, entertaining, and is great value for money. There are many more mistakes made than in the NHL, of course, but these are kids playing and learning the game so that is to be expected. Even so, this means that there are more goals scored so it's not all bad....

All in all, you cannot go wrong than at least giving it a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Finally, where else are you going to see Dion play this season? Nuff said..........

Primo
10-04-2004, 12:10 AM
There also seems to be a bit more scoring then the nhl (not the usual 2-1 games).

I went to the game vs lethbridge, my first ever whl game, and it was awesome. Definitely going to watch more games, especially if i can see phaneuf play.

evman150
10-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm so jealous of all of you.

First of all to have the Flames, but now even with the lockout you have the dub? So fortunate.

I would kill to have a dub team here. The day the Cougars left was a sad, sad day. Now we have the Salmon Kings (barf) who play in the E. And our arena which was supposed to be finished months ago won't be finished until march so now the sk's have to play out at Bear Mountain Arena (Mike Vernon is a part owner of the golf course with the same name) which is way out in the boonies so I have no hockey!

Can't wait til the arena's done and maybe a few years down the road we get a whl team back.

In any case Jordon, just be glad you have such high calibre hockey to fall back on. The whl's great.

Maritime Q-Scout
10-04-2004, 09:54 AM
WHL is a good quality of hockey, and plays a similar style to the NHL (defensive minded, clutch and grab)

I'm a fan of the no defense QMJHL. I mean you can only watch a 7 save shutout so much.

Sylvanfan
10-04-2004, 11:05 AM
I think the level of play in the WHL this season should be the highest it's been in some time due to the NHL lockout forcing good 19 year old players to stay in junior, and with the glut of NHL rookies being in the AHL the calibre of the 20 year olds is back to what it was in the 24 team (NHL) league. I had seasons tickets in Kamloops from 91-96, and watched several games in PG from 96-01, and have watched some Rebels games over the past three years. The NHL expanision has had an effect on the quality of play in the WHL and you can see the coaching strategies match the NHL as the days of 160 point players look all but gone and goalies now post GAA's around 2. Back in 1991 guys scored 180 points a year, and there might be two guys post GAA's under 3. Still for 10-15 bucks a game it is good entertainment, and very seldom do you see a game without any fights.

It is far better than the AJHL, and it's definitely a few notches up form midget hockey. Note AJHL is a ways ahead of midget hockey too (not trying to slight these guys). Junior B is glorified midget hockey (I am slighting these guys because a co-worker of mine who's a worse player than me played junior B and thinks he's a hockey god).

Resolute 14
10-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Maritime Q-Scout@Oct 4 2004, 03:54 PM
WHL is a good quality of hockey, and plays a similar style to the NHL (defensive minded, clutch and grab)

I'm a fan of the no defense QMJHL. I mean you can only watch a 7 save shutout so much.
It is not nearly that bad in the Dub. Honestly, I've often found the QMJHL to be dreadful for the opposite reasons. There needs to be balance between offense and defense. While the WHL (and all of hockey, frankly) is slowly moving towards the NHL style of play, I think the WHL offers the best value of the three.

Also, you will see more future NHLers in the WHL than you will in either the OHL or QMJHL.

Maritime Q-Scout
10-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Snakeeye+Oct 4 2004, 10:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snakeeye @ Oct 4 2004, 10:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maritime Q-Scout@Oct 4 2004, 03:54 PM

It is not nearly that bad in the Dub. Honestly, I've often found the QMJHL to be dreadful for the opposite reasons. There needs to be balance between offense and defense. While the WHL (and all of hockey, frankly) is slowly moving towards the NHL style of play, I think the WHL offers the best value of the three.

Also, you will see more future NHLers in the WHL than you will in either the OHL or QMJHL. [/b][/quote]
no the Dub isn't that bad, it's an exageration on my behalf. You will see more NHLers in the WHL simply because of how defense is drilled into their heads, and the size of you westerners.

I'm not a huge fan of watching the games, the defense it too tight (also why I don't sit back and relax while watching an NHL game, the D is just too strong)

In the QMJHL you have smaller players who put the puck in the net. The defense is non-existant (I'm being honest here), however the goaltending is unreal. For a guy who played goal, and who's heart is in the net, I love watching the QMJHL. I was fortunate enough to watch MA Fleury game in game out for 4 years, and even during warmup he'd make my jaw drop.

I guess it boils down to what kind of player you like to watch:

WHL - Defense, think Phaneuf

OHL - Power Forward, think Horton

QMJHL - Goal, think Fleury/Luongo

I find the QMJHL more wide open, and don't mind the defensive mistakes (mind you they are starting to disappear) as it means more exciting saves and plays around the net.

The other thing is, it's hard to watch a game between two teams you don't care about (ie: why would you watch a Rouyn-Val d'Or game? Even if both teams are good -not sure if they are just picking two teams off the top of my head- who cares? Why would I watch a Brandon-Regina game? I don't care who wins, so the connection with the game (not the sport) isn't there.

Now I'd like to see a Giants game because of Brule, same way you'd like to watch Rimouski for Crosby. But all in all it's what you're looking for.

But in all honesty, even if you like defense, how the hell could you watch Kelowna the last two years? MY GOD, there a 7 save shutout isn't an exageration! And Gaurd took up half the net, I thought he was Garth Snow on steriods! Geeezzz

Edit: Also of note the QMJHL seems to put out superstars or no one at all (exception of goalies). How many 3rd and 4th liners play in the NHL from the Q? Richards, Lecavilier, Gagne, Tanguay, Riberio, Ryder, etc. Lombardi is top 6 capable, and Gauthier is a top 4 guy (like him or not). So there isn't as much filler... meh.

troutman
10-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Lots more fights in the WHL!

Resolute 14
10-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Actually, I love watching games between two teams I dont care about. It's easier to simply follow the flow of the game when you dont have an emotional interest in the teams playing.

Maritime Q-Scout
10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by troutman@Oct 5 2004, 07:51 PM
Lots more fights in the WHL!
Fighting in the Q has went down in recent years. Flashback 3 years ago you couldn't get any better than a Cape Breton - Halifax game (and they met in the playoffs that year too). Each team had three enforcers and each team were league contenders. Let's just say hockey was a sidebar.

Now, some teams have a tough guy, but most teams don't have a real heavy weight, and even then when two teams with top fighters face eachother there isn't a gauranteed fight (ie: the last Halifax/Cape Breton game I was at).