PDA

View Full Version : NLL may cancel season

Eagle Eye
09-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Well looks like thier may be another lock-out looming in the world of sports.

I am surprised at this, as they have a good opportunity to gain fans in the wake of the NHL lock-out. IMO the league wouldn't make it if they were to cancel thier season.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn/news_story.asp?id=100397

troutman
09-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Season is cancelled; listen to the Big Show. Guest is being interviewed by Robb Kerr.

Season will be cancelled at 10:00 pm Friday if there is no CBA.

habernac
09-30-2004, 02:58 PM
so yet another winter entertainment option looks to be in serious trouble in Calgary. And again, another Calgary team with an amazing playoff run may see all its efforts last year were for naught. Sigh.

JohnnyO
09-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Man that bites. I was looking forward to them this season again.

The Hitmen will be breaking all sorts of attendence records this winter me thinks.

Deelow
09-30-2004, 03:34 PM
They will get it done. No hockey is too big of an opportunity for them to pass up. It would be insane not to play the season this year.

Resolute 14
09-30-2004, 05:51 PM
No it wont. The season doesnt even begin until late December.

The October 01 deadline is designed to put artificial pressure on both sides to reach an agreement.

Fire
09-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Sep 30 2004, 05:51 PM

The October 01 deadline is designed to put artificial pressure on both sides to reach an agreement.
We'll see I guess. If the owners back down from the deadline then the players will just keep rolling right over them.

I'm thinking the owners will hold a press conference that the season is cancelled tomorrow, but it won't take long until the players come grovelings on their knees to accept the last proposal from the owners. Then the owners will announce the season is back on.

calculoso
09-30-2004, 11:27 PM
I was just listening to Joe Sports on Global and he mentioned that the league/owners/teams (whatever) was audited by the players early this month and it was found that only 3 teams in the league made money.

He then went on to say that the Roughnecks weren't one of them.

Imagine that. Winning the league championship and losing money. I guess it shows a few things, that lacross isn't big in Calgary, and that the league finances are even more screwed up than the NHL finances.

moon
10-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Looks like they may have a agreement according to the FAN 960. Seems the players gave the owners a proposal and the commissioner has said that it looks good and the owners are currently reviewing it.

This would have been way too big of a opportunity with the NHL lock-out to not have a NLL season. Both the owners and the players had to realise this and it is not that much of a surprise in my opinion that they will get something worked out.

Dirty Mr. Clean
10-01-2004, 08:14 AM
It would be super bad to have a loss of my other winter sport.

duncan
10-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Yeah, the players are rolling all over the owners, the average salary is $12 836. These guys have to hold down full time jobs on the side, just to survive. This is hardly a 'players ripping of the owners' issue, it is a problem with funding (media and advertising revenue/income).

Resolute 14
10-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by calculoso@Oct 1 2004, 05:27 AM
I was just listening to Joe Sports on Global and he mentioned that the league/owners/teams (whatever) was audited by the players early this month and it was found that only 3 teams in the league made money.

He then went on to say that the Roughnecks weren't one of them.

Imagine that. Winning the league championship and losing money. I guess it shows a few things, that lacross isn't big in Calgary, and that the league finances are even more screwed up than the NHL finances.
Toronto, Philly and Colorado made money.

The Roughnecks lost about $500,000.

I would suspect that given the increased interest in the team following last year's championship, the NHL lockout, and our hosting the all-star game, the Roughnecks have a shot at breaking even.

JayP
10-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Just listening to the Hitmen game - there was a new CBA signed for the NLL at about 8:00 tonight (3 year deal). So there will be lacrosse this season.

The Familia
10-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Great news. At least we have 2 sporting events we can attend during this long winter. Lets go for a championship repeat! The NLL did it, lets see the fools of the NHL do it.