PDA

View Full Version : thread preview

DuffMan
08-23-2006, 12:31 PM
I wish the forum had a preview window containing the first few sentences of a thread when you hover over it with your mouse.
This is on of the only forums I visit that doesn't, and it really is a helpful feature.

photon
08-23-2006, 12:39 PM
We'll keep things as hey are for now and look at enabling that after we get a sense of what our bandwidth usage will be for regular season games. We've gone from a situation where we were very constrained on the server side of things to now we have tons of server resources to burn, but now we have to watch our bandwidth usage and putting a preview on each thread increases that.

Right now I'd say it won't be a problem but I want to wait until the season starts and we get a few regular season games under our belts before making that change. Gives a baseline to measure against.

Who knows, it could actually reduce bandwidth (ie people don't click on the thread if they don't want to read it).

DuffMan
08-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Cool,
It's one of those things that once you get used to it's hard to live without, like power windows.

Bobblehead
08-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Who knows, it could actually reduce bandwidth (ie people don't click on the thread if they don't want to read it).

When does it cache the data, when the page loads or when the mouse hovers over the link?

photon
08-24-2006, 09:55 AM
When the page loads.. to do it on hover over it would have to be AJAX and I don't think they've done that.

Madman
02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Any chance on getting this feature enabled now that we've seen how the board perforfms for a while?

photon
02-21-2007, 10:06 PM
It's not so much the performance as it is more the bandwidth used (since all the previews have to be sent up as well).. We use quite a bit and if we enabled it it might push us over our limits.

Madman
02-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Fair enough.

Maybe a trial of bandwidth before and after might be in order? Just a suggestion.

Thanks

alltherage
02-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I liked the hover feature too.