PDA

View Full Version : Last game ever in Montreal for Expos today

Sylvanfan
09-29-2004, 08:15 AM
I'll admit I'm not quite old enough to remember the glory days of the late 70's and early 80's when Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter, Steve Rogers, and Charlie Lea made up the core of the team. My first favorite baseball player was Expo's third baseman Tim Wallach. I believe he had a monster season in 87 after Dawson had bolted for the Cubs. I guess my single fondest Expo memory was watching Denis Martinez toss a perfect game against the Dodgers in like 92 (Although Moises Alou's game winning double in the 94 Allstar game a year after that freak ankle fracture was pretty good too). For me the biggest dissapointment is pretty obvious with the 94 season ending with the Expos sporting a record of like 76-43 and winning 19 of their past 22 games. They were looking like an unstopable team with a lineup that was totally stacked and no weaknesses in the club whatsoever. After 94 I tried to watch Baseball, but never followed it like I did pre-94. I was disappointed with the late season collapse in 96 that cost them the Wild Card spot. That was the last time the Expo's really played any meaningful games in September. Moving the team to Washington D.C. is the smart thing for MLB to do as this is a market Baseball should have been in for some time now. At least a DC team might be willing to spend enough money to make use of a good scouting staff and someday knock off those damn Atlanta Braves!

habernac
09-29-2004, 08:53 AM
A sad day for Canadian baseball fans. I was most definitely a Carter fan back in the day. There once was a great fan base there, but owner apathy, the 94 season and the hatred for the Big Owe all contributed to the demise of baseball in Montreal. My regret is that I never got to see a game there. I was going to try this season as I was pretty sure it was going to be the last, but alas it was not to be. So long , Expos. You will be missed by some....

:awww:

nfotiu
09-29-2004, 09:30 AM
I was a huge fan growing up. I've seen one game in the big o. Thought it was cool at the time, but was pretty young. I became a red sox fan the day they traded Pedro Martinez. Watching him play his last year for the expos, you could see he was something really special. Trading him was the final nail in the coffin for that team. It was clear they could never be competitive again. They've been dead to me since that day, really. Although watching the 3 v's have some limited success was fun. I'm not sure how sad it is that they are actually finally dieing. It is probably more sad for them to be where they are now. Kind of like someone who has been left brain dead in a coma for years finally dieing.

Although, now that I am less than a couple hours(barring traffic) from where they are going to be playing, and with Pedro possibly on his way out of Boston, maybe I'll become a renewed fan. Maybe I'll dig up my old expos caps to wear to the games.

El presidente's perfect game was pretty high on the list of memories. I watched that game all the way through. Anyone remember pascal perez, and his pascal ball?

Sylvanfan
09-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah, Perez was a pretty entertaining pitcher too for the Spo's in the 90's. I can't remember anyone hitting his eefus pitch hard ever, and it always showed on highlights whenever he threw it. I remember one game where he no hit the Phillies for 5 innings and then the game was called on a rain delay. So I guess in theory it was a no-hitter, just not an official no-hitter, even though the game was officially a 5-0 win for the Expos.
I remember the day the Expos traded DeShields for Martinez and wondering how that deal would work for the Expos. As it turned out, it was an absolute steal as Deshields was very average after that, and Martinez we know the story. I remember the game where Martinez was throwing like a perfect game and either hit a player or threw a high pitch to one of the Reds in the 7th or 8th inning and the guy charged the mound. It was pretty much a gamely occurance where Pedro would give someone some serious chin music. As good as Pedro's been in Boston I still don't think he's thrown as well as he did for the Expo's when he won the Cy Young.

nfotiu
09-29-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan@Sep 29 2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah, Perez was a pretty entertaining pitcher too for the Spo's in the 90's. I can't remember anyone hitting his eefus pitch hard ever, and it always showed on highlights whenever he threw it. I remember one game where he no hit the Phillies for 5 innings and then the game was called on a rain delay. So I guess in theory it was a no-hitter, just not an official no-hitter, even though the game was officially a 5-0 win for the Expos.
I remember the day the Expos traded DeShields for Martinez and wondering how that deal would work for the Expos. As it turned out, it was an absolute steal as Deshields was very average after that, and Martinez we know the story. I remember the game where Martinez was throwing like a perfect game and either hit a player or threw a high pitch to one of the Reds in the 7th or 8th inning and the guy charged the mound. It was pretty much a gamely occurance where Pedro would give someone some serious chin music. As good as Pedro's been in Boston I still don't think he's thrown as well as he did for the Expo's when he won the Cy Young.
Pedro's near perfect game was pretty cool too:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/06031995.shtml

FlamesAddiction
09-29-2004, 10:08 AM
I was an Expos fan by default when I was a kid because of my step dad who was from Montreal. I eneded up not really liking baseball, but I'm still sad that it has come down to this.

So where is the team moving to anyway?

Sylvanfan
09-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by FlamesAddiction@Sep 29 2004, 04:08 PM
I was an Expos fan by default when I was a kid because of my step dad who was from Montreal. I eneded up not really liking baseball, but I'm still sad that it has come down to this.

So where is the team moving to anyway?
They're going to Washington DC. I'm not sure if they'll rename them the Generals or not (at least I think thats what the Washinton DC team used to be). It would make sense to rename the team after relocating them to the name that the former DC team used to have.

Sylvanfan
09-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Wow 96 pitches in 9 innings and 9 strikeouts is a pretty efficient pitch count for the day. I remember Mark Gardiner also having a no hitter go to the 10th against the Dodgers two days prior to Martinez perfect game. Gardener eventually lost 1-0 in the 10th. If only the Expos's could have scored some runs for these poor guys.

albertGQ
09-29-2004, 10:42 AM
I almost forgot about that near perfect game. I feel bad for Pedro that he lost his perfect game (and no-hitter) in extra innings.

troutman
09-29-2004, 10:49 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/base...28/expos.dc.ap/ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/09/28/expos.dc.ap/)

The move also must be approved by three-quarters of major league owners and survive legal challenges by the Expos' former limited partners.

Montreal's last home game is scheduled for Wednesday night against Florida. Tuesday night's game, which the Expos lost 5-2, attracted 5,416 fans.

Iggy=Flames4ever
09-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Im a huge Expos fan and it sucks there moving......oh well, guess next season im cheering for washington!

Resolute 14
09-29-2004, 10:56 AM
They are expecting 25,000 for the final game tonight, but it is sad that the Cannons and Trappers otherwise averaged more fans in their final homestands than the Expos will have.

Of course, one can thank MLB itself for that.

AaronSJ
09-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I also grew up as an Expos fan - Tim Raines was (and still is) my favorite player ever. We used to make an annual weekend trek from N.B. to Montreal to catch a weekend series - it used to be the highlight of my summer.

I was in Montreal last week and went to two games for old times sake. To be honest, I almost had tears in my eyes. It was very sad seeing a major league baseball game with 3,000 fans in a 50,000 seat stadium (and a good portion of them made the trek from NYC to watch the visiting Mets).

I'll be sad to see them go, but their time has come. The franchise deserves a home where the fans will support them rather than embarass them.

I wonder if the Blue Jays are next?

moon
09-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Never really liked the Expos. Maybe it is my dislike of Quebec or their ugly uniforms but I never liked them.

However, it does suck that Canada is losing another professional sports team. I think that the Blue Jays will be okay for awhile and that there are actually probably five to ten teams in the States that are in as much trouble or more so then the Blue Jays and would move sooner then the Blue Jays.

looooob
09-29-2004, 01:24 PM
too many memories

there's a picture of me on my first birthday eating cake and wearing one of those loveable old expos caps

random ones

-faking an illness to skip school and watch Rick Monday break our hearts
-El Presidente, El Perfecto
-going to the 1982 Allstar game with my older cousin. I believe 4 Expos were in the starting lineup
-Tim Raines returning to the lineup in 86 (I think it was) after a holdout and proceeding to demolish the New York Mets single handedly that day
-Being at Olympic stadium for 'Andre Dawson day' watching his number get retired and then seeing a pitchers duel between Pedro and Glavine
-the expos sending some kid named Randy Johnson and a few other guys to Seattle for legit starter Mark Langston on May 25,1989....the same day some other club won the Stanley Cup
-Raines breaking into the league during the strike shortened 81 season and burn up the basepaths...chasing Fernando for ROY all season
-an ageing Al Oliver all of a sudden winning a batting title and RBI title for the Expos in 1982
-watching it all come grinding to a halt in 1994

looooob
09-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by AaronSJ@Sep 29 2004, 12:56 PM
I also grew up as an Expos fan - Tim Raines was (and still is) my favorite player ever. We used to make an annual weekend trek from N.B. to Montreal to catch a weekend series - it used to be the highlight of my summer.

I was in Montreal last week and went to two games for old times sake. To be honest, I almost had tears in my eyes. It was very sad seeing a major league baseball game with 3,000 fans in a 50,000 seat stadium (and a good portion of them made the trek from NYC to watch the visiting Mets).

I'll be sad to see them go, but their time has come. The franchise deserves a home where the fans will support them rather than embarass them.

I tried so hard to get to a final game this year (I've probably been to 100 or more over the years) but it was not to be

of course I agree with you , its embarassing the way fan support went out with a whimper...but I think the Fans hearts were long since broken post 94 and then the Brochu business followed by Loria

and the stadium was an unqualified disaster....downtown Montreal is probably one of the 4 or 5 most vibrant downtowns in North America....yet you have to get on a subway to the suburbs to go INSIDE to watch baseball in a broken down spaceship

Sylvanfan
09-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by AaronSJ@Sep 29 2004, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I was also a huge fan of "Rock" Raines and remember him being MVP of the 87 (86?) allstar game in Oakland. I remember when Vince Coleman was stealing 100 bases a season, and people were calling him the best leadoff guy in baseball. They were overlooking all the other contributions that Raines and his 70 steals a year were making to the Expos.

I do agree that if they can't build a proper place for the Expo's to play and draw fans than they might as well relocate them to a place that will. I have no doubts that Washington DC will be a better home for the franchise whatsoever. The big O and the 76 Olympics in Montreal, just looks terrible in hindsight. I guess at the time Canada had no money whatsoever, and a young population getting established in the work force, so I can see why things were done so cheaply. I'll also admit that nowhere in Canada had ever tried to take on a project that size before, and is likely a reason why a lot of those mistakes were made and why things were done so poorly. I'm sure it did a lot to rev up some national pride at the time, but it cost future generations millions, and was far too ambitious for anyone's abilities at the time. Judging by the SkyDome, it doesn't appear that too many lessons were learned either. :lol:

looooob
09-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan+Sep 29 2004, 01:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sylvanfan @ Sep 29 2004, 01:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AaronSJ@Sep 29 2004, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I was also a huge fan of "Rock" Raines and remember him being MVP of the 87 allstar game in Oakland. I remember when Vince Coleman was stealing 100 bases a season, and people were calling him the best leadoff guy in baseball. They were overlooking all the other contributions that Raines and his 70 steals a year were making to the Expos.

[/b][/quote]
Raines was arguably the 2nd greatest leadoff man of all time...unfortunately for him his career
a) coincided directly with the best leadoff man of all time Rickey Henderson

and b ) took place chiefly in the outpost of Montreal

it will be a real shame if Raines doesn't get elected to the HOF (and many think he won't) because alot of number crunchers think he is likely one of the top players not currently inducted

and yes he was my favorite player also

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
09-29-2004, 07:15 PM
I think the Expos may have helped produce more Major League superstars in recent years than any other team (at least it seems that way). The team certainly had one of the best developmental systems in the majors. Too bad most of them went on to star for other teams.

My memories:

Wednesday night baseball. In the late 70's and early 80's the games were tape-delayed two hours. I used to catch the final score on Shaw (cable 4) and then bet my roommate for beers. I'd always give him just enough runs to cover the spread. I wish the lotto numbers worked this way. BTW, I confessed to my roommate a decade later. I had to buy beers that night (many, many beers).

Rusty Staub (Le Grand Orange) was my favorite baseball player when I was a kid. Although he wasn't with the Expos for very long, but he was immensely popular.

I also enjoyed watching Woody Fryman in the early 80's, an aging pitcher who became a very effective reliever when he was converted from a starter late in his career. Bill Lee had to be one of the most colorful players the Expos ever had.

Bill Gullickson's rookie year. Struck out 18 Cubs one night.

In 1981 (Blue Monday) I had Monday's off with the job I had. I wonder how many remember the 5th and deciding game was supposed to be on Sunday but it was rained out. A bunch of us from work gathered to watch the game and we were stunned when Monday hit his homerun late in the game off Steve Rogers to win it 1-0. My brother was a Dodgers fan and the only one in the room cheering. I'm surprised we didn't beat him up.

Later on, it was the strike in 1994 that finally turned me off (like so many others).

snowdude
09-29-2004, 08:40 PM
I remember when you used to see a fair number of Expo games on TSN and that made me want to follow them. Then they faded away and like so many i lost intrest

Iggy=Flames4ever
09-29-2004, 09:25 PM
did anyone watch this game? it was so emotional, I was actually crying for the last 2 innings of the game since I knew it was coming to an end but all those great years in the past (before 94) will always be rememberd......Good luck in Washington boys!!!

I-Hate-Hulse
09-29-2004, 09:59 PM
The Expos may be gone but apparently everyone's favorite fuzzy orange hobo mascot will live on.

Youppi! Lives!!! (http://www.canada.com/sports/story.html?id=b129923a-a0bf-42b9-9ff7-c52a0313f838)

Delorme said the new ownership group in Washington could decide to bring Youppi along with the rest of the Expos. If not, Delorme said he has received interest from some individuals in Quebec who would look to buy the mascot's name and persona from the club.

Yeah, sure, something tells me poor old Youppi would go over great with DC fans, especially if they do call them the Generals. That French thing might not go over well too... might have to Anglicize him and call him Yuppie.... which probably won't go over well either... ;)

Resolute 14
09-29-2004, 10:06 PM
My god did Peter Angelos ever rape MLB over this move. Guaranteed revenue and guaranteed franchise value. He could destroy his team and still profit hugely from it.

habernac
09-30-2004, 08:11 AM
I thought this first year player put it best:

Expos rookie Terrmel Sledge understood why Montrealers had turned on the club.

"I don't know all the history but I know this stadium sold out back in the day and that baseball took away all their superstars," he said. "They're probably fed up with it. I would be, too."

A sad end to a once proud franchise.

flames_1987
09-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Wel guys, myn doesen 't go that far back at all. I'm only 18 so I really didn't get to relish in many big Expo moments. In 94, I really didn't care for baseball, and if I did it was the team that had just won to World Series. I grew up and began to like Baseball more and more. I was just in an overall hate of Toronto teams just because of the leafs, so I needed to pick a team. This was the offseason Minaya made a little buzz about the spos, he got Galaraga, Canseco lol, and on paper the team didn't look half bad. So I started following them and just became a die-hard Expos fan. I knew every player and every pitcher, I just found it so cool, how MLB and everyone had written them off but these guys kept working there asses off. I remember the big Colon trade and how shocked I was when I was MONTREAL EXPOS was where he went. The next biggest thing, well must've been last year. BELEIVER FEVER baby. That was one of the funnest sports times In my life. I remember that 4 game series against the Phillies when the Spos swept em, and in one of the games camce back from almost 8-0 to win. This summer I went to San Fran and got to see them for the first and last time. It really was a sad sad day, knowing that this is it for the spos. I really came to like the team as a whole, Wilkerson to me is gonna be an all star one day and Vidro already is. Also good luck to Minaya who is gonna make the Mets a playoff team, that guy is just that good. What hes done with the Expos is amazing, hes had to dump sooo much cap yet hes found away except for really this year. But Injurys didn't help that..

troutman
09-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Driving home on Bow Trail last night west of Sarcee, and Expo fan placed a sign on the side of the boulevard:

"au revoir - nos amour". :(

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/base...s.ap/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/09/29/bc.bbn.marlins.expos.ap/index.html)

Cowperson
09-30-2004, 09:45 AM
I still have a scrapbook I had put together of the 1973 race of the National League Least, the first pennant race of the Expos, a race where the Mets eventually won in spite of being only a few games over .500. Its filled with tons of clippings, the pictures, stories and box scores I had cut out of newspapers and glued into the scrapbook.

John Boccabella headlines. The Ron Hunt run for being hit by pitches most in a season (I believe that was the year), the effect of the big trade that brought Tim Foli, Ken Singleton and Mike Jorgenson to Montreal and the emerging Steve Rogers who would go 10-5 down the stretch with a miniscule ERA.

I remember it well.

In a small Alberta one horse town, I would listen for newscasts through afternoons, breathlessly hoping to hear an Expos score from Chicago, kind of obsessed, long before TSN, Sportsnet, The Score, the Internet, etc, etc.

Long before the Blue Jays, the country had Expos fever. I'll remember that but I'm glad they're moving. Now Expos fans can have a credible franchise to cheer for again.

Cowperson

JLefebvre
09-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Hey guys,

As someone whose every summer has been dominated by Expos baseball and who has attended countless games at Parc Jarry and the Big O over the years, I really, really enjoyed reading about your memories of the team.

While we're at it, a big favour to ask to those of you who remember the golden days -- please take every opportunity to straighten out those with very short memories who will point to the last few years as being in any way representative of what kind of baseball town Montreal was or wasn't.

Required reading for anyone who is tired of national writers blindly following the crowd and piling on the city of Montreal and its baseball fans:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&page=caple_jim (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&page=caple_jim)

Former Montreal writer Brodie Snyder wrote years ago that the emergence of the Expos as a young, exciting, winning team in the late '70s and early '80s was a phenomenon that captured the city's imagination (and to only a slightly lesser extent, the country's) like few other individuals or groups could. During yet another tumultuous political time in the city and the province and the nation, summer days and nights would find Quebecois, Ontarians, northern New Yorkers and Vermonters and travellers from across Canada got together at the Big O for loud, exhuberant, singing and cheering shows of love for the Expos.

As Snyder put it, when Tim Raines was creating havoc on the basepaths, Andre Dawson and Gary Carter were smacking the ball all over the park, Steve Rogers, Scott Sanderson and Ray Burris were befuddling hitters, Woodie Fryman and Jeff Reardon were coming in to close the deal and Youppi! was sliding on the dugouts and the crowd was whipped up into a frenzy, nobody but nobody in that place gave a damn about the referendum.

Thanks again for sharing your memories.

JohnnyO
09-30-2004, 11:19 AM
I have never been an expos fan or a baseball fan.

But I have to say that the Fans in Montreal are brutal. Yah your team is gone because you never went to the game. Booing the US national anthem was awful and they should be ashamed. Then throwing GolfBalls onto the field which almost cancelled the last game ever there was bright.

As for Quebec and sports you lost the Nordiques, Alouettes (who later returned) and now the Expos. For the most part you are the worst fans in sports for supporting teams. Also as tax payer I have enjoyed paying for your Stadium since 1976 but its time to blow that money pit up.

habernac
09-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyO@Sep 30 2004, 11:19 AM

But I have to say that the Fans in Montreal are brutal. Yah your team is gone because you never went to the game. Booing the US national anthem was awful and they should be ashamed. Then throwing GolfBalls onto the field which almost cancelled the last game ever there was bright.

As for Quebec and sports you lost the Nordiques, Alouettes (who later returned) and now the Expos. For the most part you are the worst fans in sports for supporting teams. Also as tax payer I have enjoyed paying for your Stadium since 1976 but its time to blow that money pit up.
Why comment on a situation you obviously know little about?

JohnnyO
09-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by habernac+Sep 30 2004, 11:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (habernac @ Sep 30 2004, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JohnnyO@Sep 30 2004, 11:19 AM

Why comment on a situation you obviously know little about? [/b][/quote]
Huh?

Olympic Stadium has cost approx $1billion
They booed the National Anthem Last Night.
Golf Balls were thrown Last Night and almost caused the game to be cancelled.
Attendence has been low for a long time. Indicating no one is going to the game.

??

troutman
09-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Sportsnet poll:

Who your favourite Expo of all time? [2329 votes total]

Tim Raines (270) 12%
Andre Dawson (243) 10%
Gary Carter (464) 20%
Vladmir Guerrero (508) 22%
Larry Walker (519) 22%
Steve Rogers (40) 2%
Youppi (285) 12%

The correct answer is ANDRE DAWSON! Greatest Expo ever.

habernac
09-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyO+Sep 30 2004, 11:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JohnnyO @ Sep 30 2004, 11:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by habernac@Sep 30 2004, 11:26 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-JohnnyO@Sep 30 2004, 11:19 AM

Huh?

Attendence has been low for a long time. Indicating no one is going to the game.

?? [/b][/quote]
For the most part you are the worst fans in sports for supporting teams.

Bullsh*t.
This team had awesome fan support until brutal ownership groups eroded their talent base to the point where the Calgary Cannons probably could have beat the team.

The fans are responsible for Olympic Stadium costing a billion dollars? Ok.....

A couple of idiots threw golf balls, very few booed the anthem before being drowned out by cheers. That's hardly the entire fan base.

The Nordiques never had a problem selling tickets, they had an antiquated building that couldn't support NHL hockey and its rising salaries.

Cowperson
09-30-2004, 12:15 PM
If anyone is interested - and you have to watch for it - every once in a while, ESPN Classic Canada shows the Dennis Martinez perfect game.

He was really gunning them down that day!!

Cowperson

JohnnyO
09-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by habernac+Sep 30 2004, 11:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (habernac @ Sep 30 2004, 11:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by JohnnyO@Sep 30 2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by habernac@Sep 30 2004, 11:26 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-JohnnyO@Sep 30 2004, 11:19 AM

Huh?

??
For the most part you are the worst fans in sports for supporting teams.

Bullsh*t.
This team had awesome fan support until brutal ownership groups eroded their talent base to the point where the Calgary Cannons probably could have beat the team.

The fans are responsible for Olympic Stadium costing a billion dollars? Ok.....

A couple of idiots threw golf balls, very few booed the anthem before being drowned out by cheers. That's hardly the entire fan base.

The Nordiques never had a problem selling tickets, they had an antiquated building that couldn't support NHL hockey and its rising salaries. [/b][/quote]
Bottom line they booed and threw stuff on the field. 10-100-10,000 doesn't matter how many its just not right. and it has happened before.

The Cost of Olympic Stadium could have seen a Dome stadium built in each of Canadian major cites. Which was heavily funded by federal and provincial money.

Agreed that the cost of salaries is a major cause for teams leaving. But to see less then 10,000 people in a stadium that holds 60,000 night after night year after year shows lack of support. Baseball is not fair as the rich teams can afford to pay the tax and do so. That is why the NHLPA is out to lunch if they think a tax is better then a cap. What is the point in baseball there are a half dozen elite teams and the rest will never be able to compete.

Anywho baseball is not even a sport IMO with or without the Expos. If you can't play in the rain, you can play 2 games in one day and you can play 160 games in a season. How hard a game is it really.

habernac
09-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Bottom line they booed and threw stuff on the field. 10-100-10,000 doesn't matter how many its just not right. and it has happened before.

So we're all jerks in Calgary because a few goofs threw stuff on the ice here? Whatever....

Anywho baseball is not even a sport IMO with or without the Expos. If you can't play in the rain, you can play 2 games in one day and you can play 160 games in a season. How hard a game is it really.

Opinions are like ***holes....... If you're such a big fan of the game, why bother with the thread at all?

The Cost of Olympic Stadium could have seen a Dome stadium built in each of Canadian major cites. Which was heavily funded by federal and provincial money.

Again, is this the fans' fault? We aren't debating whether the Big Owe was a money pit.

Agreed that the cost of salaries is a major cause for teams leaving. But to see less then 10,000 people in a stadium that holds 60,000 night after night year after year shows lack of support. Baseball is not fair as the rich teams can afford to pay the tax and do so. That is why the NHLPA is out to lunch if they think a tax is better then a cap. What is the point in baseball there are a half dozen elite teams and the rest will never be able to compete.

And why, again, should the fans stick around to watch a team that has zero hope of being competitive?

JohnnyO
09-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by habernac@Sep 30 2004, 12:56 PM

So we're all jerks in Calgary because a few goofs threw stuff on the ice here? Whatever....

Opinions are like ***holes....... If you're such a big fan of the game, why bother with the thread at all?

Again, is this the fans' fault? We aren't debating whether the Big Owe was a money pit.

And why, again, should the fans stick around to watch a team that has zero hope of being competitive?
The Expos were done 5 or 6 years ago. Put a bullet in the horse and send it to the glue factory already!!

And yes Flames fans looked like poor sports when they threw stuff.

But to boo another countrys anthem shows a complete lack of respect. I think this is the worst thing in sports that a fan can do.

Resolute 14
09-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Nothing personal Johnny, but you are talking straight out of your ass.

I love how you are more forgiving of a hundred Flames fans throwing things than four or five Expo fans. I guess it is easier to paint people with a wider brush when you know you aren't in it's path, eh?

looooob
09-30-2004, 02:31 PM
As Snyder put it, when Tim Raines was creating havoc on the basepaths, Andre Dawson and Gary Carter were smacking the ball all over the park, Steve Rogers, Scott Sanderson and Ray Burris were befuddling hitters, Woodie Fryman and Jeff Reardon were coming in to close the deal and Youppi! was sliding on the dugouts and the crowd was whipped up into a frenzy, nobody but nobody in that place gave a damn about the referendum.
I'm getting verklempt

JohnnyO
09-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Sep 30 2004, 01:51 PM
Nothing personal Johnny, but you are talking straight out of your ass.

I love how you are more forgiving of a hundred Flames fans throwing things than four or five Expo fans. I guess it is easier to paint people with a wider brush when you know you aren't in it's path, eh?
Ummm no.

Flames fans didn't boo the US national anthem.

And the idiot Flames Fans were p*ssed at the Refs and it was the end of the game.

What was the point of throwing golf balls in the middle of the game for no real reason other then there season is over so they can hit the links?

habernac
09-30-2004, 03:01 PM
:boom:

troutman
09-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Globe & Mail Poll:

How do you feel about the Expos' departure from Montreal?

Very upset
1439 votes (11 %)

A little disappointed
4670 votes (34 %)

Don't care
6349 votes (47 %)

Happy to see them go
1151 votes (8 %)

Total Votes: 13609

Cowperson
10-01-2004, 09:49 AM
A terrific column in the Boston Globe today lamenting the loss of the Expos in Montreal.

Great if you're a fan of the history of baseball in Montreal.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/arti...n_any_language/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2004/10/01/expos_demise_a_debacle_in_any_language/)

Cowperson

looooob
10-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Cowperson@Oct 1 2004, 09:49 AM
A terrific column in the Boston Globe today lamenting the loss of the Expos in Montreal.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/arti...n_any_language/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2004/10/01/expos_demise_a_debacle_in_any_language/)

Cowperson
that was a great article and bang on true

Montreal does have a rich baseball history, going back to Jackie Robinson and earlier

Montreal, and Quebec in general, produces major league baseball players to boot

Montreal is at least as good a baseball city as places like Denver and Dallas are hockey cities , and I'd argue much better(these places have had great crowds, for about 10 years, with stacked teams to cheer for). Montreal did that for 25 years and then some.

in the end baseball had to leave Montreal. It had to. The stadium blew and the spirit was sucked out of the city

but it wasn't always that way. and its a damn shame.

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
10-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by looooob+Oct 1 2004, 01:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (looooob @ Oct 1 2004, 01:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cowperson@Oct 1 2004, 09:49 AM

Cowperson
that was a great article and bang on true

Montreal does have a rich baseball history, going back to Jackie Robinson and earlier

Montreal, and Quebec in general, produces major league baseball players to boot

Montreal is at least as good a baseball city as places like Denver and Dallas are hockey cities , and I'd argue much better(these places have had great crowds, for about 10 years, with stacked teams to cheer for). Montreal did that for 25 years and then some.

in the end baseball had to leave Montreal. It had to. The stadium blew and the spirit was sucked out of the city

but it wasn't always that way. and its a damn shame. [/b][/quote]
The ariticle triggered memory of an old interview with Tommy Lasorda who was with the Montreal Royals way back when. Lasorda had glowing comments about the time he spent in Montreal. Of course that was when the Dodgers faced the Expos in the NL Championship, so he likely wouldn't want to give the enemy anything to rally around.

Cowperson
10-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Fuzzy McGillicuddy@Oct 1 2004, 09:43 PM
The ariticle triggered memory of an old interview with Tommy Lasorda who was with the Montreal Royals way back when. Lasorda had glowing comments about the time he spent in Montreal. Of course that was when the Dodgers faced the Expos in the NL Championship, so he likely wouldn't want to give the enemy anything to rally around.
He was probably talking about this:

Lasorda compiled a 98-49 record in nine years with Montreal of the International League, the Dodgers' top farm club, 1950-1955 and 1958-1960. His best records were 17-8 in 1953 and 18-6 in 1958, when he led the league in victories, complete games, and shutouts. Lasorda helped Montreal to the International League championship five times.

Cowperson