PDA

View Full Version : Lock ancient threads

Bobblehead
08-02-2006, 04:31 PM
If a thread hasn't had a post in more than 6 months, it may as well be locked. It is annoying to start reading a thread, think it sounds familiar, then realize it was bumped from ages ago.

If it is 6 months, the info is dated.
If someone still MUST refer to it, they can link to it.

KevanGuy
08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah pho, not sure if it is possible but it isnt a bad idea.

Reggie Dunlop
08-02-2006, 05:35 PM
It happens mostly when past threads are linked, and inevitably someone posts a comment in the old thread rather than the new one. Then it snowballs and the new thread ends up being ignored.

I agree, very annoying.

photon
08-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Hm.. I'll have to check into it and see if the software supports it or not.

photon
08-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Lol, that would be even harder.

Unfortunately the software doesn't seem to have this feature. It's a suggestion for v3.6 though.

Bobblehead
10-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Violating my own rule :) but was looking up some info about vBulletin and noticed this:

Locks an old thread after X amount of days.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165618

Are mini-mods like this viable for CP, or is this a pay for use mod-site?

Edit: Actually, it looks like there were some complaints about that one. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=148117
seems to have more happy users. Plus you could put a limit on thread size, and lock the thread automatically after 800 posts, or something that is beneficial for the server.

photon
10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
The mods are free for the most part I think. Putting in a mod like that does need some consideration because you want to pick mods that are actively updated and maintained so that when vBulletin updates the mods update too.

There's a major release for vB coming out soon so I've been waiting for that before doing anything with the forum software.. no point in putting in mods or features that aren't going to transition to the new version.

But that one and 3 or 4 others are ones that I've targeted to install.

Gozer
10-27-2009, 04:27 PM
How much trouble would I have been in if I bumped the Mindless Chatter and Flirtation thread?

I was sooooo tempted.

rubecube
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
How much trouble would I have been in if I bumped the Mindless Chatter and Flirtation thread?

I was sooooo tempted.

Creating that thread was my CP opus.