PDA

View Full Version : Beer Rant

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
08-02-2004, 10:23 AM
I was dismayed to learn recently the local watering hole I've been frequenting for the past six+ years is no longer serving Big Rock Traditional on tap. I asked the bartender about this, and he informed me the pub was switching it's tap brands to Molson.

This is nothing new. Watering holes have done this for some time. By doing this, the bar will get a better price on it's Molson products.

I used to drink Molson Canadian way back when, but not since I've developed taste buds.

The bar has 16 different beers on tap, and not one decent amber ale. I was told my options for a comparable beer are Rickard's Red, Kokanee Gold and the house swill known as "Smart Ass". Rickard's Red is little more than Molson Canadian with caramel coloring. Kokanee Gold may as well be horse-filtered.

This may be a good move for the bar as far as costs are concerned, but it sucks from a customer's point of view. I wouldn't be as miffed about this if there was a decent alternative, for example Sleeman's Honey Brown.

I don't expect any bar or business to carry a product it can't sell. But the last time I checked, there were quite a few Big Rock drinkers out there.

Sadly, losing my business probably won't put that big a dent in the bottom line.

calgaryred
08-02-2004, 10:47 AM
I agree that molson beer tastes like p*ss :P

Scrambler
08-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Big Rock, Calgary's beer, all the way!!I always support the pubs who support the micro breweries.

Regulator75
08-02-2004, 11:01 AM
That does suck man. On Friday night, the wife threw me a surprise birthday party (down at my local pub) and I drank Big Rock Traditional all night.

As an avid drinker of darker beers, it sucks when bars do this kind of crap. If I were you I would talk to the owner or manager and let them know that you will not be returning to their establishment.

Another tasty Big Rock choice is Honey Brown, very tasty.

Good luck finding a decent pub.

nfotiu
08-02-2004, 11:02 AM
My friends and I stopped patronizing a bar a few years ago when they made the same move. I had no sympathy when they went out of business a few months later.

I can't believe Molson is allowed to get away with this actually. This kind of marketing tactic should be illegal. I think I remember a few years back, the ship discontinued all Molson products when Molson was trying to strongarm them. I am not sure if they sell Molson now or not.

snowdude
08-02-2004, 11:23 AM
The Bars at the UofA has molson as a sponsor but they carry other things and have big rock on tap so its all good...for now

BlackEleven
08-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by snowdude@Aug 2 2004, 05:23 PM
The Bars at the UofA has molson as a sponsor but they carry other things and have big rock on tap so its all good...for now
Is Big Rock actually popular in Edmonton? They no longer hate all things Calgary? Man, I miss that beer...can't get it out here....

Table 5
08-02-2004, 01:36 PM
fuzzy, what's the name of this place? Its nice to know what to avoid.

Dirty Mr. Clean
08-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Yeah what pub?

KevanGuy
08-03-2004, 01:39 AM
On a related note, the 50 worst beers.

Now that's some bad beer (http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php?id=worst)

sbailey924
08-03-2004, 07:38 AM
That list has Natty Light at 6 and Natty Ice at 14. No way those shouldn't be #1 and #2. Bud Light is better (not much) than those.

It's Beer! Hooray Beer!

transplant99
08-03-2004, 07:48 AM
I can't believe Molson is allowed to get away with this actually. This kind of marketing tactic should be illegal. I think I remember a few years back, the ship discontinued all Molson products when Molson was trying to strongarm them. I am not sure if they sell Molson now or not.

You think it should be illegal to reward a vendor who makes your product more visible and sells more for you?

Wow.

snowdude
08-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by FlamesFanInMTL+Aug 2 2004, 05:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlamesFanInMTL @ Aug 2 2004, 05:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-snowdude@Aug 2 2004, 05:23 PM
Is Big Rock actually popular in Edmonton? They no longer hate all things Calgary? Man, I miss that beer...can't get it out here.... [/b][/quote]
I've seen plenty of people drink it. Grasshopper is pretty big among a lot of the people i know because Molson and Labbat's aren't fit for horses. There are also some good deals on it fairly often so its pretty popular from what i've seen

nfotiu
08-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by transplant99@Aug 3 2004, 01:48 PM

You think it should be illegal to reward a vendor who makes your product more visible and sells more for you?

Wow.
They will only sell you the beer at regular price if you don't sell other brands. Otherwise they jack up their prices.

Table 5
08-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by KevanGuy@Aug 3 2004, 07:39 AM
On a related note, the 50 worst beers.

Now that's some bad beer (http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php?id=worst)
I can't believe Sam Adams isn't on that list. That has to be the worst beer I ever tasted....I can't fathom why anybody would want to drink that shampoo.

KevanGuy
08-03-2004, 10:26 AM
I've never had Sam Adams. Anytime anyone has mentioned it they say it is terrible. Odd that the raters at that site seem to like it. Can we even buy it here or is it strictly American?

America's World Class Beer (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/review/35/)

transplant99
08-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by nfotiu+Aug 3 2004, 10:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nfotiu @ Aug 3 2004, 10:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-transplant99@Aug 3 2004, 01:48 PM

Wow.
They will only sell you the beer at regular price if you don't sell other brands. Otherwise they jack up their prices. [/b][/quote]
Simply not true.

Beer prices (and all alcohol for that matter) are regulated by the ALCB.

The only thing that Molson could do is cut off incentives/giveaways etc, (and yes that could include the odd free keg...tho that too is illegal).

Its business...just like ANY other business. The strong survive.

JiriHrdina
08-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Yeah but what other strategy can Molson adopt.

Their product sucks - on this we agree. As such really the smartest strategy is to make sure the product is put in front of enough people as possible, and remind them of it with tons of advertising. Really - its the best way to market a crappy product.

Big Rock is the exact opposite. Iin general their marketing has sucked. However because the product is superior to something like Molson they have done well.

The biggest challenge for Molson is that more and more customers are becoming more aware of better choices out there. So the strategy like the one in this case comes into play. Demand exclusivity in bars so customers don't have a choice. Cut throat yes - but probably the best thing they can do at this point.

Yellefan
08-03-2004, 01:04 PM
I can't remember the last time I drank a molson product other than that damned saddledome beer. Big Rock beers have always been one of my favs, but more recently I have become a Keith's convert... Mmmmmm Beer!

moon
08-03-2004, 01:26 PM
I cannot believe that people actually believe that Big Rock is anywhere close to as good as Molson products.

Big Rock is absolute swill. I have yet to find a brand whether it is light or dark that I like.

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
08-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Table 5@Aug 2 2004, 01:36 PM
fuzzy, what's the name of this place? Its nice to know what to avoid.

Woody's Taphouse in Country Hills.

Sadly, there's not a lot of pub options in this neck of the woods within stumbling distance of the abode.

nfotiu
08-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by transplant99+Aug 3 2004, 05:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (transplant99 @ Aug 3 2004, 05:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by nfotiu@Aug 3 2004, 10:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-transplant99@Aug 3 2004, 01:48 PM

Wow.
They will only sell you the beer at regular price if you don't sell other brands. Otherwise they jack up their prices.
Simply not true.

Beer prices (and all alcohol for that matter) are regulated by the ALCB.

The only thing that Molson could do is cut off incentives/giveaways etc, (and yes that could include the odd free keg...tho that too is illegal).

Its business...just like ANY other business. The strong survive. [/b][/quote]
Your information is quite dated:
Under privatization, the ALCB markup has been replaced by a flat markup the rates of which were to be set to raise the same amount of revenue for the government as the ALCB markup.12 The flat markup is added to the supplier's price quotation and is levied in dollars per litre and varies by product class (i.e., spirits, wine with less than 16 percent alcohol, fortified wine with greater than 16 percent alcohol, coolers, and beer). The ALCB does not impose a separate wholesale markup (but there are warehouse storage, handling, order processing and distribution charges collected by the warehouse operator). The first set of flat markup rates was established in November 1993. They were revised downward in August 1994, although 10 percent surcharges were imposed that were to be removed at the rate of one percentage point per month. Thus, the May 1995 flat markup rates contain no surcharges. Some of the flat markup rates were lowered again in January 1996 in order to try and restore the revenue neutrality of the flat markup. Table 2 contains the various sets of flat markup rates.
http://oldfraser.lexi.net/publications/pps/5/s11_notes.html

Table 5
08-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by moon@Aug 3 2004, 07:26 PM
I cannot believe that people actually believe that Big Rock is anywhere close to as good as Molson products.

oh mylanta.

8 Ball
08-03-2004, 09:52 PM
I have boycotted Big Rock ever since they stopped making X.O.