just to update its 2-0 Calgary

Getzlaf scored both goals for the Hitmen.... GETZLAF FOR MVP

Like i predicted on friday, Hitmen are going to win the memorial cup this year

Deelow
09-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Iggy=Flames4ever@Sep 26 2004, 09:21 PM

Well this 2-0 lead proves that I guess.

Is anyone else having a hard time even caring about the Hitmen?

Iggy=Flames4ever
09-26-2004, 03:48 PM
so are you just going to be a bum and not follow any hockey until the nhl comes back?? atleast following the hitmen and junior league kills time while the lockout is going on

Flickered Flame
09-26-2004, 03:48 PM
2-1 now. The Hitmen are getting into penalty trouble in this game. Don't forget they blew a 4-1 3rd period lead on Friday night, so 2-0 is not that big of a lead.

Jiggy_12
09-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Deelow+Sep 26 2004, 03:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Deelow @ Sep 26 2004, 03:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Iggy=Flames4ever@Sep 26 2004, 09:21 PM

Well this 2-0 lead proves that I guess.

Is anyone else having a hard time even caring about the Hitmen? [/b][/quote]
Yep, I am. Go Phaneuf!

flambers
09-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Sounds like a great game so far!!

Deelow
09-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Iggy=Flames4ever@Sep 26 2004, 09:48 PM
so are you just going to be a bum and not follow any hockey until the nhl comes back??
Pretty much.

I don't mind the Hitmen, it just doesn't do it for me. I pay attention a little bit more once the playoffs get closer.

The Familia
09-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Still 2-1 about 5 mins into the third. I really like the Hitman, and usually pay close attention every year on how they do. As well I attend a couple games each year. For me I follow any team Calgary has to offer. Flames first, then I'd say Stamps, Hitmen, Roughnecks, Mustangs....I will also follow our new Baseball team in the AA league, as well as our ABA basketball team.

Patrick
09-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Phaneuf keeps the puck in and scores. 2-2.

Flickered Flame
09-26-2004, 04:52 PM
3rd goal of the year already for Phaneuf. I can't wait until he is playing for the Flames.

Jagger
09-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Iggy=Flames4ever@Sep 26 2004, 02:21 PM
Ok........

And up 2-0 in the first period against Red Deer, in the second game of the season, proves that how again? I think that Calgary has a very good team this year but it is early days yet.

Pleased with a 2-2 tie. 3 out of 4 points against the Hitman juggernaut is a reasonable start for this young Rebels team. Not sure how they could do without Phaneuf though!

Mike__
09-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Deelow+Sep 26 2004, 10:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Deelow @ Sep 26 2004, 10:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Iggy=Flames4ever@Sep 26 2004, 09:48 PM
so are you just going to be a bum and not follow any hockey until the nhl comes back??
Pretty much.

I don't mind the Hitmen, it just doesn't do it for me. I pay attention a little bit more once the playoffs get closer. [/b][/quote]
Same for me, I never really followed the hitmen, but I guess I should seeing how it's the only hockey I'll be able to watch. i hope they broadcast a couple games.

DeanOMac
09-26-2004, 06:01 PM
I was at the game. Phaneuf overall played fairly bad. Not just by his standards but by normal standards he wasn't very good. But still if on his bad game he scores a goal, I am happy.

kn
09-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Just got back from the game, my first live junior game. I was impressed with the quality of play as I really didn't know what to expect but it's uncomparable to the NHL. For the price, though, you can't go wrong.

I agree that Phaneuf didn't stand out. Getzlaf scored two goals but again continues to take stupid penalties. Isn't he wearing the 'C'? I expected Shultz, Rogers and Carson to be more powerful considering their size but maybe that will come.

albertGQ
09-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Man! Did anyone see Getzlaf's second goal? It was a beauty man. Best goal in this young WHL season for sure

Eddie Bronze
09-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by albertGQ@Sep 26 2004, 06:41 PM
Man! Did anyone see Getzlaf's second goal? It was a beauty man. Best goal in this young WHL season for sure
That was the highlite of the game for sure. Streaks down the wing on the PK, cuts into the slot, makes a fake move that had about 11 guys lying on the ice and then buries it. I'd say that would rank a close second to Kovalev's at the World Cup.

Resolute 14
09-26-2004, 10:20 PM
What I also saw was Getzlaf taking stupid penalty after stupid penalty.

This guy should never have been given the C.

I'm extremely disapointed with how this weekend went. Calgary allowed a massively inferior team take three points from us - when they should have had zero.

In the end, the Rebels showed a far greater effort than the Hitmen. Hopefully this teaches them - especially Getzlaf - that you need to work for 60 minutes to win. Not 40 (on Friday) or 20 (tonight).

Jagger
09-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Sep 26 2004, 09:20 PM
I'm extremely disapointed with how this weekend went.# Calgary allowed a massively inferior team take three points from us - when they should have had zero.#

In the end, the Rebels showed a far greater effort than the Hitmen.# Hopefully this teaches them - especially Getzlaf - that you need to work for 60 minutes to win.# Not 40 (on Friday) or 20 (tonight).
I'm really happy with the weekend's results for the Rebels. The most I was expecting from the games was a split so to get three out of four points was great to see, especially given the circumstances of both games. To come back from multiple goal deficits not once but twice, against a team like Calgary, is incredible.

I have a feeling that this "massively inferior team" that I follow just might give that Calgary Hitmen juggernaut team of yours all they can handle this year!!!!!

For the record I do think that the Hitmen are obviously the more talented team on paper. However a team with a system that works, a very good coach that demands that his players work hard, and a couple of great players called Phaneuf and Fraser can give a 'massively superior' juggernaut a run for their money.........

Again, I guess that's why they play the games eh?

ChipOne
09-27-2004, 09:26 AM
i was at the game too...that second goal by the great gatsby was right in front of us...a real humdinger.

phaneuf's goal at the other end looked good too. hurts less that he scored it, somehow. i thought he looked pretty good. there were a couple of mistakes that would've killed you in the NHL, but nothing that hurt the team overall. he laid out some guy pretty good right in front of us (we were front row in the corner), and my two year old started yelling "hey hockey players, no hitting!". it was pretty funny.

phaneuf really looks like he can dominate when he wants to. ran a couple guys off the puck in a really convincing fashion. i'm liking where his development is, and can't wait to see him come up.

Eddie Bronze
09-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by ChipOne@Sep 27 2004, 09:26 AM
i was at the game too...that second goal by the great gatsby was right in front of us...a real humdinger.

phaneuf's goal at the other end looked good too. hurts less that he scored it, somehow. i thought he looked pretty good. there were a couple of mistakes that would've killed you in the NHL, but nothing that hurt the team overall. he laid out some guy pretty good right in front of us (we were front row in the corner), and my two year old started yelling "hey hockey players, no hitting!". it was pretty funny.

phaneuf really looks like he can dominate when he wants to. ran a couple guys off the puck in a really convincing fashion. i'm liking where his development is, and can't wait to see him come up.
He's at the point where he's pretty much got to come to the NHL to really continue his progress. His skating, control of the ice and ability to see everything so well is spectacular - at least against jr. level players anyway. I didn't see him jump out of position much at all, which is a good sign for a guy with a bit of a rep for looking for the big hit. He seems to always know where he is on the ice and particularly in his own zone. I know the defensive zone is a fairly large area, but he seems to take up more than his share of it when he's out there skating around in the slot.
I was sitting quite close to the Red Deer bench and watched him somewhat closely since he was pratically sitting right in front of me for the 1st and 3rd period and he definitely is the kind of guy who wants to be on the ice whenever the other teams top players are out there. Almost everytime Kisio was able to sneak out Getzlaf without him being out there, he'd make immediate communication with wichever d-man was closest to him to get off and let him on. When he didn't? Well, you saw who scored the first goal. As for Getzlaf's second, I can't recall if he was on the ice then or not.
Anyway, it's just something I noticed and to me, that's a great sign that once he gets his feet wet in the NHL and starts to feel more comfortable as a leader like he is for the Rebles, he'll be one of those guys out there against the top scorers and in the final minute when you're up by one. But also looks like a guy who might have some skills to play on the PP too, although that can change at the NHL level. Nothing but good things to come from him.