PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Stay In Shape?

calf
08-01-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm just curious how everyone here gets out and exercises when they're not here on cp. Maybe including motivations, how often etc?

Me, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week doing cardio/weight training. Go for a few runs and rollerblades during the week as well, as well as walking the dog.

My motivation: mainly for health reasons since my family has a history of cardiovascular disease, cancer etc. Also it doesn't hurt to look better for the opposite sex :lol:

FlamesAddiction
08-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Drink beer!! :lol:

Seriously, I'm not a fitness freak, but I make sure I go hiking regularly. That helps me stay in shape.

Otto-matic
08-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Well. I play soccer so i have to stay in my top level of fitness for a whole season. So thats a motivation. Then I want to stay in good shape for Health reasons too. I also want to look better then the opposite sex :lol: nah Jk I look like Steve Urkle!

just without the crazy science stuff. Im not good at that :lol:

But the major motivation for me is to keep good health untill the day I die. Well maybe till my late 60's when ill stop and just enjoy life for what it is.

300spartans
08-01-2004, 11:11 PM
I love running but I get terrible shin splints so I only try it every 2 weeks or so. Therefore I stick to biking, boxing, weights, and playing hockey of course.

Interesting story, I was out for a bike ride last night (11pm) and as I passed a group of young people standing around a car one of them yelled "Biking sux! Ride a horse!" ok.... :P

Getting a good workout is nice but my biggest problem is nutrition. I LOVE FOOD. I love eating tons after a good workout, so satisfying. It makes it a little harder to keep the weight off for sure.

Pagal4321
08-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Well during school year was running and weight training alot. That died down over the summer but was playing hockey and soccer and going for runs every so often. But now with a knee injury can't really do anything, but I'm sure by the time school get's back up I'll be working out more, minus the running, just for the sake of saftey regarding the knee.
Motivation, to loose weight....stupid eating habits come back to bite you in the ass.

kipper34
08-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Totally lame, but I love Pilates. My flexibility could rival that of the Kipper himself... no not really. I also love to hike and going for a walk as often as I can. A knee injury prevents me from doing anything else.

Super-Rye
08-02-2004, 01:22 AM
I go for 30 minute runs at 2 in the morning, and I lift weights almost everyday. But it all evens out cause I drink tons. :P

Table 5
08-02-2004, 01:33 AM
I don't own a car and live in a very walkable city. So i pretty much take transit or walk everywhere.....to the pub mostly. ;)

JiriHrdina
08-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Hit the gym 3 times a week for about 60 minutes per session (30 minutes weights, 30 minutes cardio).

Also have a series of exercises I do at home (and sometimes at the gym) for my knee that I injured about 2 years ago.

Play ball hockey 2 or 3 times a week.

So I get a lot of exercise in which helps the fact that my eating habits are very poor.

My motivation - many different reasobs. I started working out when I was about 21 - found that my stress level decreased, I slept better and had more self-confidence. I also found it had an instant impact on any sports I played.

hah
08-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Running 3 to 5 times per week. Between 2 to 5 miles at a time in the morning.

While training for a marathon I increased the mileage on the weekends. Some 10 to 20 mile runs.

My mileage was around 50 to 60 miles in a week on some longer training weeks.

I also try to lift weights 2 or 3 times a week

I took kick boxing twice a week last year and I will start again in Sept. A great workout.

theikon
08-02-2004, 08:22 AM
round is a shape :lol:

habernac
08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Lots of biking in the summer, hockey in the winter.

HelloHockeyFans
08-02-2004, 09:33 AM
I go to the gym 6 days a week (3 consecutive days followed by 1 rest day). I also run 8-10 km every second day. I rollerblade in the summer whenever I get the chance and I skate in the winters!

the_only_turek_fan
08-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Run, Run and Run more.
I go about 5 times a week, and eat healthy.
NO eating after dinner, drinking lots of water, no alchohol, and eating lots of fruits and vegtables(I guess you have no choice when you are vegetarian!)

The Goon
08-02-2004, 01:25 PM
I also work out (weights/cardio) 4-5 times a week. I live a two minute walk from the Westside Rec Centre, so it's like having a gigantic gym in my basement. I try to swim 1-2 times a week as well. Like most others, it's about feeling/looking well.

I have suffered a couple of injuries this year (including a torn ankle on the Red Mile) which have been frustrating me in my workouts.

I have such a horrible sweet tooth, though, which impedes any fitness progress. I would give anything to find something to take my sugar cravings away.

This is a lot more active city than Toronto, where I lived until last year. Calgary's great for that.

ooogabooga
08-02-2004, 01:25 PM
my exercise is from the couch to the fridge :lol:

seriously i can't do many weights or anything due to a shoulder injury so i can't do a heck of a lot upperbody, mostly all i do is walk and hike, and swim run a bit, but i have more of a sprinter build and stamina than a distance runner mostly walks in fish creek, and at a rather fast pace

Cowperson
08-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Run, bike swim . . . . I'm old, so the intervals are getting longer!! Not a full blown fanatic about anything these days.

Ran a half marathon a few weekends ago but swimming is what I'm probably technically best at, still one of the faster people in the pool when I show up but my shoulders can only take so much. Way too much swimming earlier in life has left my shoulders, in the words of one doctor, "looking like they belong to a retired 55 year-old professional baseball pitcher." Thanks!!

And the knees sort of come and go too.

Time for the senior citizens pasture. ;)

Cowperson

dangler22
08-02-2004, 02:00 PM
I took two years off after high school before going to university and during that time I ran 10km nearly every day and went to the gym for two hours 5 days a week. Since I went back to school in two years time I have lost almost all my muscle and endurance and am staring to develop a beer gut. I think it is time to get back in to shape.

moon
08-02-2004, 02:04 PM
by eating crap, drinking beer and watching TV.

I can't stand going to the gym. It is the most boring thing in the world in my opinion.

My buddies all go and try to convince me to come but I just don't see the enjoyment in lifting weights or running for no reason.

BlackArcher101
08-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by moon@Aug 2 2004, 04:04 PM
by eating crap, drinking beer and watching TV.

I can't stand going to the gym. It is the most boring thing in the world in my opinion.

My buddies all go and try to convince me to come but I just don't see the enjoyment in lifting weights or running for no reason.
I'm the same way. The only time I'll exercise is if I can get direct enjoyment out of it. If it's boring, then odds are, I won't stick with the routine. My problem is that I find most things boring, so I'm limited.

Biking is good if I have somewhere to go or do. I find going to the gym is not an efficient use of time. Plus I'm not looking at gaining muscle mass, but just to lose some fat.

Usually it comes down to me playing any sport for an hour or less and getting bored. The only times that I will keep playing a sport is if I'm on a team and competing in a league. But I'm not good enough at any sports to do so anyways.

dangler22
08-02-2004, 02:36 PM
I agreeworking out and jogging can be tedious and boring but thats not what i got enjoyment from. I got enjoyment from always feeling energetic and never getting sick. Being in shape makes you feel more alive and happier imo.

peter12
08-02-2004, 03:27 PM
I used to box and go to the gym all the time but I hate that. I hate the atmosphere at gyms, all these pumped up ***holes everywhere.

Now I mountain bike about 20 km every second day. I hike tons as well. Just went on an 11km hike yesterday.

Wolfwood
08-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Ummm.... To quote Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force

"You're getting fed this lie that you're gonna live forever. You won't. Somebody will kill ya. Somebody will kill ya with a knife. You better make sure your abs are ripped, you got some good guns. You wanna look good for when you get stabbed with a knife."

But seriously, I work out about 3 times a week for about 40 minutes with half lifting weights and the other half running on a treadmill at the workout room in my apartment complex.

Dirty Mr. Clean
08-02-2004, 08:49 PM
I don't do anything at this point and I feel like a need too do something. The problem is I work shift work which makes signing up for classes very difficult for me.

JiriHrdina, where do you play ball hockey? I would love that! :)

jonesy
08-02-2004, 10:06 PM
I bike in summer, play hockey and ski in winter. Try to go to the gym but recently moved and haven't found one close yet.

I was thinking about joining the gym at Mount Royal but can't stand the thought of paying for parking every time I go.