PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Expos

Iggy=Flames4ever
09-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Expos are leaving after this season no matter what, says Tavares on tsn.....ive been a huge Expos fan, but now where ever they move to im going to be a fan of that city....I just hope they keep Nick Johnson and Batista

Sylvanfan
09-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Well my interest in Baseball has slowly waned away with the demise of the Expos over the last 10 years. I used to watch Baseball quite frequently, but now only watch it if nothing else is on T.V. I still watch the playoffs and World Series, but if I won't go out of my way to make the time to do it anymore. When the Expos move to Washington D.C. I will likely no longer be an Expo fan, and will have to pick a new favorite team in the West. I've watched the A's closely for a few years, and admire how them and the Twins have run their teams for the past couple of seasons. I also like Anaheim because they have Vladdy. Once the Expos are out of Montreal, I'll basically be cheering for one of those three teams as my favorite and for the Red Sox to beat the Yankees. Still Baseball has become like Basketball to me, where I observe it casually, but have no one team that I passionately watch and cheer for.

Iggy=Flames4ever
09-22-2004, 10:10 AM
why would u pick a new fav team and not cheer for Montreal when they move?
can you say "bandwagon jumper?"

habernac
09-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Iggy=Flames4ever@Sep 22 2004, 10:10 AM
why would u pick a new fav team and not cheer for Montreal when they move?
can you say "bandwagon jumper?"
Why is he a bandwagon jumper? Will all the things MLB has done to the Expos, I'm surprised anyone cheers for that team anymore.

Iggy=Flames4ever
09-22-2004, 10:45 AM
he is a bandwagon jumper because he's picking a new fav team just cause Montreal is moving......Im a true fan and will always be no matter what.....it sucked we lost Guerrero though

Iggy=Flames4ever
09-22-2004, 11:45 AM
The Expos will do better though in the states since thats where all the money is

Bill Bumface
09-22-2004, 11:58 AM
So if they Flames moved to New York, you'd still cheer for them? Its not band wagon jumping at all. I was a big Nordiques fan, but absolutely despise the Avalanche. They are two very different teams, and it didn't take long for it to happen.

Go Twins! Although the lockout wrecked baseball for me. The expos got screwed so bad that year I wanted to cry.

Resolute 14
09-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, cheer for "Rebel" Baseball - the Northern League. The Calgary whozzits are starting play next May in a refurbished Foothills park.

What is really sad is that thus far, both the Cannons and the Trappers drew more fans for their final homestands than the Expos have. The Montreal Expos are a textbook case of just how badly a league can destroy a fanbase.

Iggy=Flames4ever
09-22-2004, 01:41 PM
[/QUOTE][QUOTE] The Montreal Expos are a textbook case of just how badly a league can destroy a fanbase.

thats why I said they'll do better in the states when they move cause they have more money there but Im still going to cheer for them no matter what

Sylvanfan
09-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Well one of the biggest reason's I ever chose the expos was because they were a Canadian based team. Now they're going to be based somewhere in the Eastern states where I've likely never been and as a result my interest in the team will subside. Are Wild fans bandwagon jumpers because they didn't keep cheering for the Stars? Are people from Winnepeg that are now Flame fans bandwagon jumpers for not remaining Coyote fans? Are fans of the Cleveland Browns bandwagon jumpers because they don't support the Ravens, or are Raven fans the same because they don't support the Indianapolis Colts? At some point in life everyone jumps the bandwagon to cheer for a team. If I chose to claim the Pirates as my new favorite team would I be a bandwagon jumper even though they haven't had a winning season since Bonds left them? What if Montreal gets another baseball team and I chose to back them? I've probably been an Expos fan longer than you've been alive so I'm not taking any crap from some kid can't be bothered to use proper english in this forum. When a franchise relocates the people that supported that franchise are free to choose another team to back if they desire. If you think I'm a bandwagon jumper I won't lose any sleep.

calgaryred
09-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I used to be a diehard Jays fan! Back around 82' when I was still a kid. I love baseball! I grew with the Jays watching them improve. I remember the joy of watching them win their first pennant in 85. I remember in 92 when they finally won the American league championship taking down the powerful Athletics. A little payback for losing to Oakland in 89. Then when I moved to Van the next year I remember watching Carter's championship winning HR at the SkyDome in 93. Then the strike killed me! I lost interest in the Jays and Baseball period. I tried getting back into it but it wasn't the same. I began to really hate Toronto sports teams. I defected my loyalties to the Jays and baseball altogether. Last year I've kinda started to take an interest again. Being away from the game I have no attachment for the Jays. I'm hoping for the Cubs and Red Sox due to their bleak playoff history. As for the Expos I was never a fan. i guess when i was a big Jays fan it was cool to cher on the Expos with Gary Carter. For that reason I wouldn't cheer for them. Honestly though the strike killed the expos. Baseball will never be the same in Canada. I say dump the teams back down south and cheer on the CFL.

looooob
09-22-2004, 02:16 PM
well this was inevitable but it's still sad

I've completely stopped following baseball the last few years, but I used to love the sport and I mean I really followed it religiously

in fact prior to the 94 strike I was a bigger Expos fan than I was a Calgary Flames fan (and that's saying something)

some of my fondest memories were my summer trips to Montreal to visit my cousin (6 years older than me) who would take me to the games and teach me how to use the scorecard etc

sigh ;_;

Resolute 14
09-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Iggy=Flames4ever@Sep 22 2004, 07:41 PM
The Montreal Expos are a textbook case of just how badly a league can destroy a fanbase.

thats why I said they'll do better in the states when they move cause they have more money there but Im still going to cheer for them no matter what
"More money" is what killed the Expos, but it has nothing to do with payroll. Claude Brochu noticed a loophole in the 1995 CBA that let him profit from the Expos by collecting all kinds of revenue sharing money by having a payroll of 0. He didnt even need fans. MLB was guilty in permitting it.

If the Expos held onto the 1994 team, they would have been playing to 30,000+ crowds every night with a contending team.

Greed killed the Expos, not the inability to pay for players.

troutman
09-23-2004, 02:49 PM
An announcement is expected in the next day or two that the Expos are moving to WAS. Not sure if the former Expo partners can try and block this.

Vulcan
09-24-2004, 01:09 AM
I've gone from being a big EXpo and baseball fan to the point I haven't watched one game this year. The Olympic Stadium is terrible for watching baseball and maybe a new stadium would have saved the team.