PDA

View Full Version : Its Official!!!

underdawg
09-17-2004, 12:58 PM
ITS OFFICIAL ALEXEI KOVALEV IS AN ISLANDER!!!

NEW YORK (NY) CP - Earlier this morning GM Navroz Khimji pulled off a deal with the Minnesota Wild that will mutually benefit both clubs. The Islanders traded veteran D Eric Dejardins and F Jamie Langenbrunner for All Star forward Alexei Kovalev and Veteran D Stephan Quintal.

It was a known fact that the Islanders had the strongest Defensive unit in the league however were lacking some offensive punch to make their well-known push for Lord Stanleys Mug. They really didnt want to get rid of Jamie Langenbrunner as they feel he has yet to hit his prime however when the opportunity came to get a player with the caliber of Kovalev they could not refuse.

"Jamie and Eric were going to play very key roles for us this season but we did feel that this move bettered our team. In addition to the acquisition of Brett Hull we feel that we may have one of the strongest tandems on the RW side. Kovalev is sure to get first line duites and will play a huge role offensively for us. Since the loss of Demitra and Lecavalier many fans have been wondering where our offence will come from? I say with guys like Gonchar, Daze, Samsonov, Damphouse , Huselius and now these two, I think we have answered that question."

It had been said that GM Grant Wild has been after Jamie Langenbrunner for quite sometime and that getting Eric in the deal was just what the Wild needed.

The GM for the Islanders said the following, " I like Grant and what he brings to the table in every trade discussion, I wish him and his team success and look forward to seeing them during the season."