PDA

View Full Version : Expos partners trying to block move

troutman
09-16-2004, 11:49 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=98820

``We have already informed baseball orally that it will be the intent of my clients to seek a preliminary injunction to preserve the status quo,'' Jeffrey Kessler, a lawyer for the limited partners, said Wednesday. ``We probably will look for a schedule for a hearing to be held in November.''

In their lawsuit, the 14 limited partners claim Loria and Marlins president David Samson conspired with baseball officials to dilute the minority partners' share of the team from 76 per cent to 6-to-7 per cent and never intended to keep the franchise in Montreal.

calgaryred
09-16-2004, 12:59 PM
If Montreal partners wanted the expos to stay in Canada they should have started this campagin two years ago. Considering they are about to hand over this franchise to D.C they are a little late now.

Sylvanfan
09-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Just end the misery for this team and stick them in Washington D.C. Baseball is not a viable market in Montreal anymore.

troutman
09-16-2004, 03:50 PM
It could work in MTL with a decent stadium and a competitive team. They used to get big crowds in the 1970s. If I'm not mistaken, the Expos have a better record than the Blue Jays. The Alouettes had a renaissance by moving out of the Big Owe.

Too much damage has been done though by the franchise being a lame-duck for so long. The player strike during the year the Expos were headed towards a championship really hurt.

calgaryred
09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
1994 strike killed the franchise. They were the best team in baseball the olympic O was full. The expos were really the only franchise to say screw baseball and stay away. If the other US cities felt the same maybe Barry the dick Bonds wouldn't be walking around making more than the NHL.

Resolute 14
09-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by calgaryred@Sep 16 2004, 06:59 PM
If Montreal partners wanted the expos to stay in Canada they should have started this campagin two years ago. Considering they are about to hand over this franchise to D.C they are a little late now.
They did.

they sued under the RICO act in the states, and the judge presiding over the case sent it to arbitration. The arbitrator has not released his decision which is part of the reasoning behind this move.

Personally, I think they need to accept that Expos relocation is inevitable. Let the Washington group buy the team, then sue MLB for their share of that sale price.

Though if this delays Expos relocation one more year, I wouldnt exactly cry about it, as I still hope to catch at least one game in Montreal.

Sylvanfan
09-16-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm of the opinion that in today's bussiness environment in baseball that Canadian based teams are not viable markets. Baseball is not a number one sport in Canada and unless they are seriously competitve winning teams than they won't draw enough fans or generate enough money to make any money. Unless baseball reaches a T.V. deal like the NFL and NBA have, I don't think either team can be profitable unless they are championship calbre. Throw in that the Jays and Expo's both play in the East divisions where they routinely compete with much richer markets than I can't see them being a sustainable championship calibre team. So I can't see baseball working as a profitable bussiness in Canada with the current market conditions that exist in the sport. During the 70's and 80's the bussiness side of the game wasn't anywhere what it is now. Those days are gone forever we should just let them go, and let the expo's go to D.C. and at least be able to compete with the Braves, and Phillies.

calgaryred
09-16-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm sad to see the expos leave. I admit I was never really a huge fan of the team. Growing up i loved the Blue Jays I remember getting so excited when they finally won the american league east pennant in 1985. Right to winning back to back championships in 92 and 93. Those days are fond in my memories. I stopped cheering for the Blue Jays once Toronto sports was getting too big. I was sick of the Leafs and the Raptors. The Argo bashing and the whining for the NFL and olympics. It was too much I began to detest T.O sports. That and the team being bought by Rogers avivid supports of a Toronto NFL franchise. That was it. Now I cheer for the Red Sox and hope the same demise for the Jays

weird isn't it?

Resolute 14
09-17-2004, 12:19 AM
I think the Jays are viable. While injuries and bad luck have made this year a bust, the team is on the right path. Rogers has cut the official team losses from "$50 million" (yeah right) to "$20 million" and a stronger dollar will help that out as well. Throw in the fact that Rogers underreports the value of his TV deal with his cable sports channel, and the Jays likely arent losing a ton of money at all. Couple of good seasons, and the Jays are in the black.

Toronto's biggest problem is simply it's lease. The lease with Sportsco is absolutely brutal, including the fact that the Jays get virtually nothing from concession sales or parking.

Sylvanfan
09-17-2004, 01:00 PM
The Blue Jays are a viable market if they're in the Central division and going against those teams every year. I think you can tell from what we've seen of baseball in the past couple of years that the Red Sox, and Yankees will always be able to field a competitive team with the current CBA that Baseball has. Based on the Geographical wealth imbalance (especially in the American League) baseball should consider going to a balanced schedule and having the top 4 teams make the playoffs. It would annoy purists, but it would be a fair thing to do.

The Familia
09-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Just let the expos die already. Montreal is not a baseball city, neither is Canada (Thanx God for that). Let the expos R.I.P and thenw e can all move on. We have to face it that Canada doesn't care about baseball, much like the states doesn't care about hockey. Minor league basball died in Canada. The Cannons, Canadians and the Trappers have all moved on, leaving only Ottawa with a AAA team. I say let the expos go already to a place that cares!

Resolute 14
09-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Montreal was a baseball city once.

Vancouver has a Single-A team that usually leads the Northwest league in attendance.

Winnipeg leads the Northern League in attendance every year, and has an absolutely fantastic park. Calgary and Edmonton died as a result of the weather more than anything else, but are getting Northern League teams as well. Short season baseball will help alleviate the weather problems.

Hell, Calgary pulled in 3500 for the WMBL final, which is really only a glorified senior league.