PDA

View Full Version : Capitals add Nolan!!!!

JohnnyFlame
09-14-2004, 04:57 AM
Washington, D.C. Sept 14/04.

Washington Capitals have added Owen Nolan to their lineup in a move which saw Brian Smolinski and Jesse Lane head to Tampa. JohnnyFlame's take on the trade was that is was a win-win for both clubs. Tampa got a very useful player in Smolinski and a good defensive prospect while opening up a lot of salary space to accomodate the likes of Francis coming off the IR.

Nolan adds to the scoring punch for the Capitals and along with recent additions Antropov and Kolzig the team has edged up the competitive ladder. JohnnyFlame now thinks this series of moves has helped his team recover from the dissapointment of their young players not moving up to take top two line spots. "We had high hopes for a player like Jonathan Cheechoo who racked up 28 goals and 19 assists in a 47pt. NHL season but he was deemed to not be ready for the CPHL. It was stunning to think he was so little thought of but management has resigned itself to the fact he will be taking up a spot in the AHL. With the lack of movement of our younger players and the impending strike and thus another year of missed development of our youth the team felt it necessary to add a couple of vets like Kolzig and Nolan."

JohnnyFlame added in that vein that since we have had a number of requests about Alvaro Montoya and his availabilty that the team will now accept offers on this potential franchise goalie. "It's not the strategy we want/wanted to employ but we found acquiring youth and counting on their improvement matching their actual performance was ill advised. As such we are looking for proven players and willing to move youth to acquire them. We just want to be an old fuddy duddy team like the BRUINS."

looooob
09-14-2004, 09:35 AM
good pickup

Beerfund
09-14-2004, 08:40 PM
JohnnyFlame now thinks this series of moves has helped his team recover from the dissapointment of their young players not moving up to take top two line spots. "We had high hopes for a player like Jonathan Cheechoo who racked up 28 goals and 19 assists in a 47pt. NHL season but he was deemed to not be ready for the CPHL. It was stunning to think he was so little thought of but management has resigned itself to the fact he will be taking up a spot in the AHL.

Unthinkable! :o
Almost as unthinkable as Antropov being ranked along side of the top end centers when he's averaged less than 10 goals a season at the NHL level.
Guess it all works out in the end.
;)

JohnnyFlame
09-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Actually you just make my point for me Beerfund. No point in choosing players whom you feel certain should rise in value due to NHL production. Just go out and trade for whoever so happens to have value for some unknown reason.

And as he wasn't on my team to begin the season I hardly see how the one guy is higher than he should be counters one who isn't theory working in anyway shape or form. That value should be indicative of performance would seem to be a more intelligent thought than it will all just be hunky dory if you trade for players that are as overvalued as the ones who are undervalued.