PDA

View Full Version : problem with viewing cp?

ricosuave
01-13-2006, 07:23 AM
i was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with viewing cp over the last 4 or 5 days?

im using ie6, and for some reason, have only gotten intermittant contact, with the majority of the time i couldn't.

tried it from 3 computers, dont think it was on my end.

rico

photon
01-13-2006, 10:25 AM
I haven't seen any issues, though the firewall still seems to be blocking some people at different times for no good reason. What kind of error do you get?

ricosuave
01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
just that i cant connect to cp. as if a network cable was unplugged (but wasnt)

in fact, it did it again this morning.

Bill Bumface
01-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Happening to me lots too, I get the msn screen of "forum.calgarypuck.com cannot be found" yet I can ping it.

OilKiller
01-13-2006, 03:22 PM
I haven't been having problems viewing CP, but I have been having issues with the CPU Usage when here. Not sure if it just has happened in the last day or not, but I am really noticing it today.

I visit a lot of site and have had no issues on any other site (I've been tracking the CPU Usage on all sites).

On CP, my CPU Usage is between 80% - 95% when here. The iexplore.exe process is the only thing eating up this usage while on CP.

The system is down to a crawl. It is a 2.7 Ghz system with a Gig or RAM.

There is no way the CPU Usage should be this high when simply viewing the forums here. I think there is something going on with the ads on the site causing this issue.

Again, I don't have this problem with any other site.

Edit: It is the ads on the site. Until the ads load (top and side), the site is fine and showing a normal CPU load. As soon as the ads load, expecially the larger side ad, the CPU Usage jumps 70% - 80%.

photon
01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Yeah I mentioned that on another thread that the ads seem to eat up a lot of CPU.. unfortunately we don't make the ads so we don't have any control over them.

If you get an error coming to the forums, try going: Start, Run, type in cmd and clicking OK and from the command prompt type in tracert forum.calgarypuck.com and hit enter and let me know what the last few lines of the tracert are.

OilKiller
01-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Yeah I mentioned that on another thread that the ads seem to eat up a lot of CPU.. unfortunately we don't make the ads so we don't have any control over them.

It's a serious problem though. I almost don't want to come to the forums anymore with this CPU usage being so high and dragging down other processes that have to be running on my system. As I type this, my CPU usage is at 97%, with other processes eating up maybe 3% of that. There has to be something that could be done, isn't there?

scottie
01-14-2006, 08:40 AM
By the way, folks -- if you use the Firefox browser and you have the "Fasterfox" extension installed and you have "Enable Enhanced Prefetching" selected, you're probably going to get blocked by the firewall. Please don't use that setting on that extension -- your browser makes LOTS of requests to the server, most of which are unnecessary.

(love that bold button!! :) )

LockedOut
01-14-2006, 08:14 PM
It's a serious problem though. I almost don't want to come to the forums anymore with this CPU usage being so high and dragging down other processes that have to be running on my system. As I type this, my CPU usage is at 97%, with other processes eating up maybe 3% of that. There has to be something that could be done, isn't there?
I know what you mean. Just typing a message is a chore. I type a sentence and have to wait 3 seconds before i can see it and continue and edit if necessary. It's like the old telnet days at the U over dialup.

KevanGuy
01-15-2006, 12:27 AM
EDIT: Oops, hah, I meant to post that in the testing forum.

ricosuave
01-20-2006, 08:13 AM

If you get an error coming to the forums, try going: Start, Run, type in cmd and clicking OK and from the command prompt type in tracert forum.calgarypuck.com and hit enter and let me know what the last few lines of the tracert are.

photon,

ive got a pic of the above tracert from last night

i was unable to load the page all night.

pm me your email snd ill send it.

rico

photon
01-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Acually give it another try, scottie emailed me early early morning to let me know that the host has made a change that should help with this stuff.

Bill Bumface
01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
First time I could get on here from work in 4 days....

ricosuave
01-31-2006, 07:59 PM
i couldnt get on last night

ive got the tracert file if you want

photon
01-31-2006, 09:57 PM
It should be ok now.

ricosuave
02-03-2006, 01:59 AM
hi photon

ive been shut out 4 times in the last 2 days

ive got the tracert file again

it stops on the same server everytime

its very annoying, can you help?

photon
02-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I'm still looking into it so that it won't do this anymore...

photon
02-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Alright, when it happens again can you email me your IP and as close to the time when you think it stopped as possible? Thanks.

4X4
02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
The forum is running excruciatingly slow for me today... I cleared cookies and restarted. Other sites are just fine. Both IE and Firefox take about a minute to load a page.

Any ideas?

scottie
02-03-2006, 01:18 PM
You know, while it's crap the firewall is locking folks out, it's also doing it for a reason. If you've been locked out, it's because you've made a certain amount of requests to the server over a certain period of time beyond the 'normal', allowed number.

While we're looking into fine-tuning these amounts, it may also be worthwhile for the locked out person to think about what they are doing to cause so many requests.

One thing to look for if you're using FireFox is if you have the FasterFox extension installed. This causes a lot of extra requests to be sent to the server at one time and could be a likely candidate ...

Of course, we'll get the server sorted eventually, but this may help in the interim.

photon
02-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Agreed. Also having it set to open multiple tabs at once is another thing that could trigger it.

As for the forum being slow, that's just simple load from lots of people on the forum.

Mango
02-04-2006, 12:15 AM
You know, while it's crap the firewall is locking folks out, it's also doing it for a reason. If you've been locked out, it's because you've made a certain amount of requests to the server over a certain period of time beyond the 'normal', allowed number.

While we're looking into fine-tuning these amounts, it may also be worthwhile for the locked out person to think about what they are doing to cause so many requests.

One thing to look for if you're using FireFox is if you have the FasterFox extension installed. This causes a lot of extra requests to be sent to the server at one time and could be a likely candidate ...

Of course, we'll get the server sorted eventually, but this may help in the interim.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

photon
02-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Let me know if you have further issues since about noon Saturday.

habernac
02-07-2006, 08:17 PM
all day today (until this evening) was brutally slow. Both IE and Firefox blew.

toonmaster
02-07-2006, 09:30 PM
this evening/night was the first quality time on the boards in some days

actually loads a page so I can finally get my fix.....(stops shaking from going cold turkey)

I realize you're all working on it and its much appreciated

Heaton
02-07-2006, 09:43 PM
It's been unviewable for a few days.

photon
02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
There was a runaway process that was eating up a lot of resources.. That in combination with the load made the forum software slow to a crawl.

Resolute 14
02-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm still having problems with pages not loading in IE, but with Firefox almost no problems other than the odd timeout once every day or so.

photon
02-09-2006, 08:44 AM
If it's not loading under IE and you're with Shaw it could be Shaw's proxy software giving some problems; check the proxy settings under IE and change it to the opposite of what it is now.

Other than that I checked the block list and there's no IPs in there so it's not the forum blocking anyone. Maybe try clearing the cache and cookies as well?

ricosuave
02-10-2006, 08:51 AM
thanks for all your guys' hard work!