PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Important Car Question

peter12
07-30-2004, 03:52 PM
Ok my mom is a very inexperienced car buyer. She is looking to get a new minivan for herself this month. She has narrowed it down to the Dodge Grand Caravan which is $34 000. But recently she heard of those KIA minivans, which have a longer warranty and are $10 000 cheaper.

She asked me today to help her make a decision. I know nothing about mini-vans. I have heard terrible things about KIA. Money isn't really a huge issue, a bigger issue is comfort as she will still be taking 3 kids around in the sucker.

I know alot of you guys have families and alot more minivan sense than I, so some help would be appreciated.

FlamesAddiction
07-30-2004, 03:57 PM
I've never driven either, but I did rent a KIA spectra a while ago and was pretty impressed with it. I wasn't expecting much because they are "cheaper" cars, but it seemed like a quality vehicle. If it is indicative of the company in general, then their vans may be good too.

Then again, it doesn't say anything about the vehicle 10 years down the road.

Cowperson
07-30-2004, 03:57 PM
I typed "review Kia minivans" into Google and fetched all of this for you. Otherwise, I'm no help.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8...inivans&spell=1 (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=review+kia+minivans&spell=1)

Cowperson

metallicat
07-30-2004, 04:28 PM
The Dodge Caravan is one of the most often stolen vehicles in Canada...something to think about? Perhaps.

dangler22
07-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Kia's are pieces of crap. I would almost prefer driving one to a Ford. Actually I would rather drive a KIA than a Ford come to think of it, but that aint saying much (ford does make a good truck though).

Incinerator
07-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Kia isn't as bad as it used to be anymore, Korean cars in general has improved its quality more than 10-fold in the past 5-6 years, besides, if you get a brand new Kia you not only get the better warranty, you also get free oil & filter changes for as long as you own it, not a bad deal if you ask me, and hey, with that $10,000 you saved you can buy 2 pairs of Blue season tix for the whole family!

Table 5
07-30-2004, 05:00 PM
you can knock a KIA all you want about quality, but Dodge's arent that much better. We had a Caravan for a few years, and while the powertrain and transmission was flawless, there were a LOT of cosmetic quality problems like things breaking or rubber pealing....

If i were your mom and i had 34 thousand to spend on a van, id heat over to a japanese dealership.....

peter12
07-30-2004, 06:21 PM
She is going with the KIA, the warranty and guarantees kick anyone else's ass. Plus you can pick up the Sedona Luxury for the same price as the Base Grand Caravan.

Thanks for the help.

Resolute 14
07-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by peter12@Jul 31 2004, 12:21 AM
She is going with the KIA, the warranty and guarantees kick anyone else's ass. Plus you can pick up the Sedona Luxury for the same price as the Base Grand Caravan.

Thanks for the help.
Well, lets just say there is a reason why Kia's cost $10,000 less and have a ridiculously long warranty...

I hope your mother can find the golden egg in the lemon patch.

Primo
07-31-2004, 11:49 AM
My dad drives a chrysler voyager, and over the years it has started to show some problems. I drive a honda, and so far I havent encountered as many problems. Ive heard that american cars dont necessarily have as many problems (although they might), but getting replacement parts is more expensive.

BlackArcher101
07-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Primo@Jul 31 2004, 01:49 PM
Ive heard that american cars dont necessarily have as many problems (although they might), but getting replacement parts is more expensive.
I think you mixed up Imported with American.

American cars are cheap to fix, but on the average have more problems.

Now, on to the Kia vs Dodge debat.

Dodge has been making minivans for quite a while now. Kia has not. I'd rather have a Dodge that has some "cosmetic" problems than a Kia that's gonna crap on ya when the warranty is done.

By the way, let's say you were travelling somewhere outside of a major city like calgary, and something is wrong with the kia. Where do you get it fixed under warranty? The dealer... where are the kia dealers? Only major cities. Now, unless Kia has an agreement with another company like Honda to fix their vehicles, you'd be hooped.

AvengeR
07-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by oilers_fan@Jul 30 2004, 10:28 PM
The Dodge Caravan is one of the most often stolen vehicles in Canada...something to think about? Perhaps.
The new Dodge vehicles all come with the Centry key system. It is an microchip that is built into the key so with the key in the ignition, no on can steal the vehicle. You can't hotwire it.

Since daimler chrysler has started to implement Mercedes technology into its manufacturing plants and using some Mercedes parts in its vehicles, the Chrysler/Dodge vehicles have improved in quality significantly. My bro bought a Caravan last August and fit and finish is great, we haven't heard any rattles or had any problems.

TheCommodoreAfro
07-31-2004, 09:55 PM
Damn, too late to pump the Honda Odessy....