PDA

View Full Version : Practice Notes - Feb 17: D-Pairing shake up

sureLoss
02-17-2023, 10:57 AM

ComixZone
02-17-2023, 11:06 AM
Biggest reason for optimism in these changes?

Stone out. Gilbert is better than him.

Toonage
02-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Weegar-Andersson?

gvitaly
02-17-2023, 11:10 AM

Finally! I have been waiting for those pairings from the start of the season. Hopefully it will solidify things just like putting Tanev with Gio did when Sutter took over... It was too late then, but hopefully this time around we have enough time for it to click.

Royle9
02-17-2023, 11:10 AM
Why not shuffle the offensive lines too though..ugh.

iggyloob12
02-17-2023, 11:14 AM
See, Sutter listened. Happy now, Allan?

Flamesfan05
02-17-2023, 11:17 AM
Kadri Huberdeau is not working

Naitix
02-17-2023, 11:17 AM
Switch Lindholm and Kadri

GG51
02-17-2023, 11:18 AM
what happened for Ruzicka? he was on point per game pace on 1st and 3rd line for quite a while, then was stick on 4th line or bench? maybe give him more opportunities, or try him with huberdeau?

Flamesfan05
02-17-2023, 11:20 AM
what happened for Ruzicka? he was on point per game pace on 1st and 3rd line for quite a while, then was stick on 4th line or bench? maybe give him more opportunities, or try him with huberdeau?

Sutter tried to get Lucic going

Then Ruzicka got lost and started to float. He is done.

Vedder
02-17-2023, 11:24 AM
He's a player that lacks consistency. He coasted back last week on the back check on a goal. Hard to get away with that as a young player under Sutter.

He hasn't demonstrated anything in the last month that would warrant moving him up in the lineup. Pelletier has outplayed him, and I don't think any other top 9 wingers are getting demoted to his benefit.

gvitaly
02-17-2023, 11:29 AM

I agree that he seemed a lot more productive than Pelletier, but it's clear that Sutter isn't a fan of his defensive effort and attention to detail. That's why as soon as his offense slowed down, he was demoted, first to the Backlund line, then to the 4th line.

After his terrible effort backchecking on this goal againt DET he was scratched, and rightfully so.

c-15185410

tvp2003
02-17-2023, 11:30 AM
Dennis Gilbert anytime fight against NYR.

Bank it.

Flames1217
02-17-2023, 11:41 AM

Bank it.

I'd be willing to bet that he is going to go after Trouba.

Buff
02-17-2023, 11:41 AM
Weegar-Andersson?

Weedersson?

Ever since Brodano I find myself trying to name the d-pairs with a mixture of their last names... I used to hate that crap.

Tanifin
Weedersson
Zadbert

Major Major
02-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Really should be Lucic in that spot but trouba probably won't bite

Flamesfan05
02-17-2023, 11:46 AM
I'd be willing to bet that he is going to go after Trouba.

Would be a big boost if Looch does it

But I think Sutter wants him to play hockey now

agulati
02-17-2023, 11:53 AM
Need changes in the top six. That second line isn’t working.

Flames1217
02-17-2023, 11:54 AM

No one ever wants to fight Looch.

Even when he fights he usually lets up on his opponents and it doesn't really provide any boost.

Bingo
02-17-2023, 12:06 PM
Need changes in the top six. That second line isn’t working.

You mean the Kadri line?

They were 83% last night and the team's best.

Honestly the one that needs a change by chance splits it the Lindholm line but they're currently filling the net while posting sub 50% numbers nightly.

Aarongavey
02-17-2023, 12:09 PM

He was lazy once on a play. That was the end of him. Plus he is a little too young still (only 23)

Bonded
02-17-2023, 12:32 PM
He was lazy once on a play. That was the end of him. Plus he is a little too young still (only 23)
It wasn't once. He was looking good and then strung together some lazy games. Frustrating player, zero consistency but can look so good.

TrentCrimmIndependent
02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
I miss that shooter ruzicka from early on

Looked so good. Had such authority and vision with the puck

Why the f doesn't he want it... yeesh

Harry Lime
02-17-2023, 12:46 PM
"We're dominating, we're dominating, we're dominating" .... nothing.
Floof-ee-floof-ee-floof .... goal!

You mean the Kadri line?

They were 83% last night and the team's best.

Honestly the one that needs a change by chance splits it the Lindholm line but they're currently filling the net while posting sub 50% numbers nightly.

Paulie Walnuts
02-17-2023, 12:48 PM
Hanifin looked great with Tanev.

Andersson should be on the 3rd pair.

sonq
02-17-2023, 02:09 PM

Vladar ain't having it

midniteowl
02-17-2023, 02:13 PM

Bank it.

No one ever wants to fight Looch.

Even when he fights he usually lets up on his opponents and it doesn't really provide any boost.

I'm afraid Gilbert isn't big enough though, I want Lucic to completely destroy Trouba in the first period.

Toonage
02-17-2023, 02:14 PM
Lucic is never without opportunity. IMO he protects his tough guy reputation more than his teammates these days.

Leeman4Gilmour
02-17-2023, 02:16 PM

Flames1217
02-17-2023, 02:21 PM
I'm afraid Gilbert isn't big enough though, I want Lucic to completely destroy Trouba in the first period.

Trouba won't drop them with Looch.

Don't think he would drop the mitts with Ritchie either.

Trouba is tough but rarely fights legit tough guys. Both Looch and Ritchie handle Trouba easily.

midniteowl
02-17-2023, 02:27 PM

Trouba is tough but rarely fights legit tough guys. Both Looch and Ritchie handle Trouba easily.

That's why I hate players like him, a pretender tough guy. Then the Flames should go after their other smaller skill guys.

Flames1217
02-17-2023, 02:38 PM
That's why I hate players like him, a pretender tough guy. Then the Flames should go after their other smaller skill guys.

Same.

It's frustrating when players pick thier spots especially when they play as dirty as Trouba does.

No need to go after their smaller players, just want him to answer the bell with some of the bigger fellas. Tanev had one arm and Dube was not at all in his weight class. He tried that a few years back with Bennett but found out quickly that Bennett was sneaky strong and a legit scrapper for his size.

bubbsy
02-17-2023, 02:38 PM
Very excited to see that top 4 on d.

I know I’ll get slammed for saying this, but Pelletier doesn’t seem to be a fit on the kadri line either. I think he’d be great with backlund but hard to break that backlund line up ….

Johnny Makarov
02-17-2023, 02:40 PM

Trouba isn't an idiot. No one willingly will fight Looch.

That said you make him fight. Drop the gloves and just start wailing on him. Plus secondary benefits if Looch gets kicked out of the game!

gvitaly
02-17-2023, 02:43 PM
Very excited to see that top 4 on d.

I know I’ll get slammed for saying this, but Pelletier doesn’t seem to be a fit on the kadri line either. I think he’d be great with backlund but hard to break that backlund line up ….

Same here about the top 4.

As for the forwards I really want to see:
Dube - Kadri - Toffoli
Pelletier/Ruzicka - Lindholm - Huberdeau
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier/Ruzicka - Lewis - Duehr

midniteowl
02-17-2023, 02:46 PM
Trouba isn't an idiot. No one willingly will fight Looch.

That said you make him fight. Drop the gloves and just start wailing on him. Plus secondary benefits if Looch gets kicked out of the game!

This!

But the problem with Lucic isn't no one willing to drop the gloves with him, he rarely drop the gloves himself at all. That's what really frustrating. :mad:

Drunk Uncle
02-17-2023, 02:55 PM
It wasn't once. He was looking good and then strung together some lazy games. Frustrating player, zero consistency but can look so good.

Exactly. It's been multiple times over many segments of games and same habit of inconsistency creeps in no matter where he plays in the line-up. The reality for Ruzicka is that he is not skilled enough to overcome his inconsistency.

bubbsy
02-17-2023, 02:55 PM
I think this team needs a Harley-esque start tomorrow night.

Ritchie - kadri/Lewis - Lucic
Zadorov - stone

Start the game with an old school line brawl.

Aside from that, I was extremely annoyed by the last nyr game, as the identity of this team was to be tough and initiate physicality. The last game vs the rangers the physicality was purely reactionary.

NewFan
02-17-2023, 03:16 PM
I think this team needs a Harley-esque start tomorrow night.

Ritchie - kadri/Lewis - Lucic
Zadorov - stone

Start the game with an old school line brawl.

Aside from that, I was extremely annoyed by the last nyr game, as the identity of this team was to be tough and initiate physicality. The last game vs the rangers the physicality was purely reactionary.

And call Zohorna and Klapka and Kuznetsov from Wranglers.
They in Calgary.

GioforPM
02-17-2023, 03:23 PM
Exactly. It's been multiple times over many segments of games and same habit of inconsistency creeps in no matter where he plays in the line-up. The reality for Ruzicka is that he is not skilled enough to overcome his inconsistency.

Dube battled inconsistency in detailed and effective play for a long time, and he was in Sutter’s doghouse as a result. But he’s Sutter’s favorite this year. Sometimes players figure it out.

Hockey_Ninja
02-17-2023, 03:31 PM
Can someone please explain to me how Eric Francis still has a job?

Drunk Uncle
02-17-2023, 03:36 PM
Dube battled inconsistency in detailed and effective play for a long time, and he was in Sutter’s doghouse as a result. But he’s Sutter’s favorite this year. Sometimes players figure it out.

Agree with your point on Dube however, to me Rosie has a way steeper hill climb to overcome the level of inconsistency he has vs what Dube had.

I hope he figures it out, but I'm not expecting it.

HighLifeMan
02-17-2023, 03:36 PM

But again - he had 17 points in 19 games in a top six role, and overwhelmingly positive on ice impacts outside of his production - so this so called inconsistency certainly wasn't reflecting on the scoresheet or by any trackable measure.

btimbit
02-17-2023, 03:41 PM
But again - he had 17 points in 19 games in a top six role, and overwhelmingly positive on ice impacts outside of his production - so this so called inconsistency certainly wasn't reflecting on the scoresheet or by any trackable measure.

Makes me wonder what the truth is regarding his month+ long illness he had that we only heard about from his dad. Would explain his sudden drop off and how he suddenly just looked tired and sluggish, but then again, if there was more too it you'd think we'd have heard more about it

Drunk Uncle
02-17-2023, 03:52 PM

Offensively sure but the xGA/60 for the Ruzicka-Lindholm-Toffoli is worse than any forward line that has played over 30min this year for the Flames.

Not sure that is overwhelmingly positive. Seems reflective of Ruzicka's effort without the puck and the reason he is in/out vs on the second line.

Cali Panthers Fan
02-17-2023, 03:57 PM

Nepotism? At least that's how he got started I believe.

HighLifeMan
02-17-2023, 03:59 PM
Offensively sure but the xGA/60 for the Ruzicka-Lindholm-Toffoli is worse than any forward line that has played over 30min this year for the Flames.

Not sure that is overwhelmingly positive. Seems reflective of Ruzicka's effort without the puck and the reason he is in/out vs on the second line.

Yet - He has the third lowest xGA/60 of any "regular" forward on the team this year.

taxbuster
02-17-2023, 04:06 PM

Mummy?

midniteowl
02-17-2023, 04:28 PM
Mummy?

Doesn't matter what you do or what profession you are in, it's not what you know (or good at), it really is who you know.

blankall
02-17-2023, 04:32 PM

Ughh...yet another square peg in a round hole. Please tell me Sutter has not instructed Lucic to not fight. That's what he does best.

iamca
02-17-2023, 05:45 PM
We could see an incremental improvement with no Stone in the lineup, but this roster is just not good enough.

Need to turn the page and focus on giving the AHL leader in game winning goals a legitimate opportunity to play in the top 9 to show what he can do.

So tired of the lack of creativity and excitement with this team.

They’ve shown glimpses for maybe a half dozen games, otherwise they lack consistency and have no killer instinct to put teams away when they have held a lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aarongavey
02-17-2023, 06:07 PM
I agree that he seemed a lot more productive than Pelletier, but it's clear that Sutter isn't a fan of his defensive effort and attention to detail. That's why as soon as his offense slowed down, he was demoted, first to the Backlund line, then to the 4th line.

After his terrible effort backchecking on this goal againt DET he was scratched, and rightfully so.

c-15185410

Lucic’s backcheck on that goal is real impressive. Once Rosie puts in that type of effort he will be in the lineup.

TrentCrimmIndependent
02-17-2023, 06:17 PM
Lucic’s backcheck on that goal is real impressive. Once Rosie puts in that type of effort he will be in the lineup.

Looch can hang them up now for sure

Beyond useless

BagoPucks
02-17-2023, 08:02 PM
Was interesting to hear Sutter's comments about Weegar and playing him on the offside. Seems like a dig at Treliving and his direction with the team's roster management.

SuperMatt18
02-17-2023, 09:14 PM
Was interesting to hear Sutter's comments about Weegar and playing him on the offside. Seems like a dig at Treliving and his direction with the team's roster management.

Didn't see a dig there at Treliving at all. (And I don't think Sutter has been shy to take digs at Treliving)

Think there may have been a little bit of a dig about not knowing Kylington wouldnt be here until the day before training came though.

Sandman
02-17-2023, 09:39 PM
I remember wondering how Eric Francis, the Calgary Sun movie critic, was suddenly doing sports….

Sandman
02-17-2023, 09:40 PM
The Weegar/ Andersson pairing will be like the finger of God.

jamesblue
02-18-2023, 12:26 PM

I just don't get all the hate for Eric Francis. He is not afraid to ask the tough questions. He is well spoken, very opinionated and passionate about the Flames. What more can you ask for in a sports journalist/analyst. I really enjoy listening to what he has to say.

Wastedyouth
02-18-2023, 12:32 PM
I just don't get all the hate for Eric Francis. He is not afraid to ask the tough questions. He is well spoken, very opinionated and passionate about the Flames. What more can you ask for in a sports journalist/analyst. I really enjoy listening to what he has to say.

He's a tit

Rejean31
02-18-2023, 12:43 PM
According to the game day thread the d-pairings are back to the usual pairings. WTF??

iggyloob12
02-18-2023, 12:46 PM

I'm not afraid to say I read most of his columns, but it doesn't mean I agree with all his takes. I do like how he's not afraid to ask pointed questions and publish unpopular views, which is part of his job as an opinion columnist. If you don't like it, don't click … but I suspect even a lot of the complainers do.

csnarpy
02-18-2023, 01:03 PM

IMO, He consistently reports stories without telling the entire story. He holds back details to form his narrative and thus makes something out of nothing. Not to mention he takes his own opinions, without facts or evidence and passes them off actual news. He revels in creating controversy and click bait.

Just look at his last tweet about Vladar breaking his stick. Vladar literally had to reply back and point out what Eric was missing in his story.

again, just my opinion.