PDA

View Full Version : [Game Takes] Jets 3 Flames 2

Bingo
01-03-2023, 10:57 PM
Jets 3 Flames 2 (https://www.calgarypuck.com/2023/01/game-takes-jets-3-flames-2-3/)

- Jets with three leads
- Hellebucyk outduels Markstrom in a goalie battle
- Backlund has a game

Samonadreau
01-03-2023, 11:02 PM
Interesting decision to put Dube out instead of Backs at the end.

Strange Brew
01-03-2023, 11:29 PM
Agree on Stone, he’s getting exposed a little. It’s disappointing that between he, Mackey and Meloche you can’t get some reliable play for the 6D spot. Even if Kylington comes back, you’re only an injury away. Wouldn’t mind seeing an under the radar acquisition.

Maybe this is unpopular but I don’t always love Kadri’s game. He can be real disinterested on the forecheck sometimes. Cruising and peeling off instead of pressuring a defenseman.

kermitology
01-04-2023, 12:20 AM
Kadri’s passing leaves so much to be desired. He’s good at carrying the puck and shooting. But his puck distribution is just atrocious.

This game left me feeling nothing.

Erick Estrada
01-04-2023, 06:24 AM
Backlund's been pretty great of late and it's unfortunate that he's been mired in a three year shooting percentage slump unable to crack 7% over that span. If only he could get that up to even NHL average or a little better it would help a lot with Flames depth scoring.

Bingo
01-04-2023, 07:11 AM
Agree on Stone, he’s getting exposed a little. It’s disappointing that between he, Mackey and Meloche you can’t get some reliable play for the 6D spot. Even if Kylington comes back, you’re only an injury away. Wouldn’t mind seeing an under the radar acquisition.

Maybe this is unpopular but I don’t always love Kadri’s game. He can be real disinterested on the forecheck sometimes. Cruising and peeling off instead of pressuring a defenseman.

Yeah Kadri is getting on my nerves to be honest ... guess he has been for months.

Two lazy offsides. You can see him yelling at teammates to get in on the forecheck as he watches. Then his quitting on plays that he turns over.

Add that to the puck hog stuff we've seen and he's just not my type of player at this point.

Bingo
01-04-2023, 07:18 AM
Backlund's been pretty great of late and it's unfortunate that he's been mired in a three year shooting percentage slump unable to crack 7% over that span. If only he could get that up to even NHL average or a little better it would help a lot with Flames depth scoring.

He's been productive and consistent though.

1.74 points per game as an average over the last eight seasons, with two outliers (a 1.47 season and a 2.04 season), the rest between 1.64 and 1.91.

1.75 points per game 5 on 5 players are essentially a weak top six player on the average NHL team.

He's streaky, but for a shut down third line center he's been productive as hell. I thought that contract might age poorly, but like Giordano's you start wondering about one year extensions when it's done now.

Carving himself a pretty important place in Flames history with longevity. Would be nice to see a run to go with it.

Northendzone
01-04-2023, 07:35 AM
imho there is nothing about this version of the flames that suggests that they could win 4 out of 7 games in a playoff series.

disappointing/frustrating and i suppose ultimately expected to see this much regression after last year

Bingo
01-04-2023, 07:37 AM
imho there is nothing about this version of the flames that suggests that they could win 4 out of 7 games in a playoff series.

disappointing/frustrating and i suppose ultimately expected to see this much regression after last year

Strange ... I'm going the other way.

Goaltending ... improving
Defensive play ... improving
Elite players ... starting to find their mojo

This has second half team written all over it to me.

Erick Estrada
01-04-2023, 07:47 AM

1.74 points per game as an average over the last eight seasons, with two outliers (a 1.47 season and a 2.04 season), the rest between 1.64 and 1.91.

1.75 points per game 5 on 5 players are essentially a weak top six player on the average NHL team.

He's streaky, but for a shut down third line center he's been productive as hell. I thought that contract might age poorly, but like Giordano's you start wondering about one year extensions when it's done now.

Carving himself a pretty important place in Flames history with longevity. Would be nice to see a run to go with it.

Yeah I was worried about the back half of his contract but as with Gio he's proved me wrong. It's a shame that in a season where Backlund is the 3rd line center cementing the Flames center depth, that the wingers on the team have gone pretty cold.

VilleN
01-04-2023, 08:06 AM

It's probably me misunderstanding, but Backlund has not averaged 1.74 pts/game in the past 8 seasons... That would be nearly 143 pts a season... Unless you meant pts/60 min?

Bingo
01-04-2023, 08:15 AM
It's probably me misunderstanding, but Backlund has not averaged 1.74 pts/game in the past 8 seasons... That would be nearly 143 pts a season... Unless you meant pts/60 min?

Whoops ... meant points / 60

Yeah_Baby
01-04-2023, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I generally find him more frustrating than Huberdeau. Jonthan just gets more focus for all the off ice reasons.

Paulie Walnuts
01-04-2023, 09:25 AM
Anyone think Kadri was asked to change his game by the coaches to try to create or sustains the offence from last season and hes turned into a puck hog?

I don't recall him being this bad before.

Northendzone
01-04-2023, 09:25 AM

i could see why you feel that way - but i guess by nature i am a pessimist

Bingo
01-04-2023, 09:32 AM
Anyone think Kadri was asked to change his game by the coaches to try to create or sustains the offence from last season and hes turned into a puck hog?

I don't recall him being this bad before.

Come on ...

Sutter is now responsible for Kadri quitting on plays and being lazy on off sides?

This is getting silly.

I know you mentioned being a puck hog, but that's only part of it. Either way ... another thing a coach would never say. "Hey, don't pass the puck, k?"

Bingo
01-04-2023, 09:32 AM
i could see why you feel that way - but i guess by nature i am a pessimist

Well you're a Flames fan.

Assuming any team any season can win 4 of 7 is a leap!

Strange Brew
01-04-2023, 09:42 AM
Come on ...

Sutter is now responsible for Kadri quitting on plays and being lazy on off sides?

This is getting silly.

I know you mentioned being a puck hog, but that's only part of it. Either way ... another thing a coach would never say. "Hey, don't pass the puck, k?"

When in doubt, blame the coach. We have seen that since the 1980's around these parts. Mind you, there have been a few duds thrown in there.

There's an argument to be made that Sutter's coaching is having a bigger positive impact than last season.

IMO the talent level is a step down
The goaltending has not been as good
At least one key player (88) is having a much worse year

IMO you can't look at Sutter for any of those three.

Paulie Walnuts
01-04-2023, 09:52 AM
Come on ...

This is getting silly.

Lol I didn't say Sutter is repsonsible.

I said did the coaching staff ask him to be a more offensive force.

Kadri being a puck hog and quitting is on him, maybe he feels like he has to play this way to be the offensive player? I don't know because I am just trying to recall how he played in Colorado now.

Manhattanboy
01-04-2023, 09:57 AM

Hope you’re right. The way I see it:

- Flames should be in every game. The one goal games will continue.
- They will continue to struggle to score.
- Power play remains close to bottom of league.
- OT wins will remain a challenge.

ricardodw
01-04-2023, 10:05 AM
This was a lost opportunity for the Flames to punch down.

The Jets were a team ripe for a beating.

They put up their weakest line up with a complete top-6 line (Ehlers, Perfetti and Wheeler) replaced with clear cut depth/AHL players. There will be a lot of the Jets roster that they put out last night that will end the season with less than 40 NHL games.

The Jets played/dictated a boring low event game due to their lineup and snuck out a win.

Manhattanboy
01-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Jets first line dominated.

Erick Estrada
01-04-2023, 10:19 AM
I have to admit I have never been a fan of Dubois but he looked really good last night. Always around the puck and getting involved physically. Shame for the Jets that they can't keep him.

Bingo
01-04-2023, 11:30 AM
Lol I didn't say Sutter is repsonsible.

I said did the coaching staff ask him to be a more offensive force.

Kadri being a puck hog and quitting is on him, maybe he feels like he has to play this way to be the offensive player? I don't know because I am just trying to recall how he played in Colorado now.

You said ...

Asked to change his game by the coaches but you're not saying Sutter is responsible?

Not sure I follow then.

Seemed like you were on that same line as a month ago where you felt Sutter somehow changed how he coached the team.

Bingo
01-04-2023, 11:32 AM
Hope you’re right. The way I see it:

- Flames should be in every game. The one goal games will continue.
- They will continue to struggle to score.
- Power play remains close to bottom of league.
- OT wins will remain a challenge.

You could be right ... lack of finish may doom their season ultimately.

But they've made corrections in a few key areas and are now out playing teams. That's a pretty significant start.

Paulie Walnuts
01-04-2023, 01:32 PM
You said ...

Asked to change his game by the coaches but you're not saying Sutter is responsible?

Not sure I follow then.

Seemed like you were on that same line as a month ago where you felt Sutter somehow changed how he coached the team.

Yes to be a offensive catalyst on the second line. I don't know what goes in Kadris mind it was just a thought. That maybe he thinks he needs to be that type of player(puck hog) to contribute.

I never said Sutter changed the systems, my questions with him has always been overplaying pluggers and bench management. I have been fine with the system, just wondering why we aren't getting into the slot as much.

GioforPM
01-04-2023, 01:40 PM

Yeah to me this is the type of team that wins more games than they lose, but is also going to lose some games in which they outplay the opposition just because their offence can't overcome a goalie standing on his head or bad puck luck.

Maybe we shouldn't overreact to those kind of losses.