PDA

View Full Version : News: The ozone says not to call it a comeback; it's in fact been here for years

FanIn80
09-15-2022, 04:13 PM
I came across this bit of news while looking into UFOs, airspeeds and atmospheric layers (obviously).

Turns out we may be saved afterall!

In new research, NOAA found that global concentrations of the harmful chemicals that damage the ozone layer have declined just over 50% in the mid-latitude stratosphere, to levels observed in 1980. The continued decline, NOAA scientists said, "shows the threat to the ozone layer receding below a significant milestone in 2022."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ozone-layer-significant-milestone-concentrations-harmful-chemicals-drop-50-noaa/

The 2022 index for the Antarctic has fallen 26% from peak values in the 1990s, with recovery of the Antarctic ozone layer projected to occur sometime around 2070.

https://research.noaa.gov/article/ArtMID/587/ArticleID/2900/Path-to-recovery-of-ozone-layer-passes-a-significant-milestone

undercoverbrother
09-15-2022, 04:24 PM
Props on the thread title brah

activeStick
09-15-2022, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I remember watching something a few months ago about the ozone layer and how it was one of the times as humans, we actually rallied together, made meaningful changes and saw a positive outcome as a result. This was all in the 80s when I remember seeing all the ad campaigns around harmful CFCs (I think?).

undercoverbrother
09-15-2022, 04:30 PM
This thread makes me wonder whatever happened to Acid Rain?

I remembering being a kid in the Maritimes and hearing how Acid Rain from the US Northeast was blowing up to disintegrate us all.

Locke
09-15-2022, 04:33 PM
So you're saying we fixed the hole in the Ozone layer? And we were barely even trying!!

https://i.imgur.com/mdD23qT.jpg

FormerPresJamesTaylor
09-15-2022, 04:37 PM
Once Jerry O'Connell stopped using all that aerosol spray in the 80s the ozone repaired itself.

SebC
09-15-2022, 04:54 PM

I remembering being a kid in the Maritimes and hearing how Acid Rain from the US Northeast was blowing up to disintegrate us all.Desulphurization is what happened. Combination of switching away from high-sulphur (sour) fuels and scrubbing the emissions where they are in use. In Alberta, upgraders remove the sulphur from bitumen at the source, which yields a safer, less corrosive product for shipping and prevents the sulphur from being emitted upon combustion. The deindustrialization of North America also played a role in reducing the problem locally.

timun
09-15-2022, 05:03 PM

I remembering being a kid in the Maritimes and hearing how Acid Rain from the US Northeast was blowing up to disintegrate us all.

Much like the ozone layer crisis was resolved by outlawing the production and use of ozone-depleting substances (primarily CFCs), acid rain has been mitigated somewhat by much more stringent emissions standards in power plants and cars.

E.g., here's what NOx emissions in the US have been over the last 50 years:

https://i.imgur.com/TbIzE4S.png
(source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/501284/volume-of-nitrogen-oxides-emissions-us/)

Emissions peaked in 1980 at 27,079,000 tons; last year they were 7,645,000 tons. A 72% drop in 40 years.

SebC
09-15-2022, 05:08 PM
And here's SO2, 94% reduction since 1970.

https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/501303/volume-of-sulfur-dioxide-emissions-us.jpg

Samonadreau
09-15-2022, 05:30 PM
^ Those are just for the US though right? Globally emmissions are still getting worse aren't they?

Basically North America and Europe are doing there part.

shermanator
09-15-2022, 05:51 PM
Isn't it amazing what happens when all countries come together and agree on something for the greater good of this planet?

AFireInside
09-15-2022, 06:00 PM
isn't it amazing what happens when all countries come together and agree on something for the greater good of this planet?

But they are trying to take away our trucks and make us eat crickets!!!!

Ozy_Flame
09-15-2022, 06:09 PM
But they are trying to take away our trucks and make us eat crickets!!!!

We are currently in the toxic individualism age. I'm crossing my fingers when we're through this, we can continue to achieve positive, real change - together - as a species.

SebC
09-15-2022, 06:11 PM
^ Those are just for the US though right? Globally emmissions are still getting worse aren't they?

Basically North America and Europe are doing there part.Yes, but acid rain isn't globalized to the extent that global warming and ozone depletion are. So for the regions that have implemented the solutions, the problem is effectively solved.

Fuzz
09-15-2022, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I remember watching something a few months ago about the ozone layer and how it was one of the times as humans, we actually rallied together, made meaningful changes and saw a positive outcome as a result. This was all in the 80s when I remember seeing all the ad campaigns around harmful CFCs (I think?).
I was browsing throguh some right wing loony site or something, and maybe it was a twitter video? I dunno, but the guy was talking about covid being a fraud, and brought up the ozone hole, that "maybe that wasn't real either. Maybe that was just to scare us and some company that had better hair spray started the rumour about it." I dunno, people are ####ing nuts. I think his point was don't believe that we solved it, it was never a problem.

GGG
09-15-2022, 09:29 PM

Basically North America and Europe are doing there part.

Nox and Sox and acid rain in general are local affects. Rain locally strips it out from the air.

However high emissions in developing nations are starting to have some affects on oceans and even into North America.

Samonadreau
09-15-2022, 09:44 PM
Nox and Sox and acid rain in general are local affects. Rain locally strips it out from the air.

However high emissions in developing nations are starting to have some affects on oceans and even into North America.

I guess I was more referring to Nox than SO2, but also just the generalization that emmission numbers from The US over time probably dont reflect whats going on globally., Also the thread being about the Ozone layer and not acid rain. Either way ill take the good news for aure.

Dion
09-16-2022, 02:33 AM
Now if only the ozone layer on the top of my head could grow back some hair :whistle:

Sr. Mints
09-16-2022, 11:22 AM

Or the Hantavirus. Or Ebola. Or West Nile. Or Monkeypox. Or, or, or, or. Every few months seems like a new theme; one media outlet runs with a theme, then they all do. And as media has gotten smaller, the problem has gotten more widespread. And to clarify, I'm not talking about hard news, I'm talking about the presentation of this news by media.

I think the media response to, well, everything lately--the hyperbole, the fear, and stigmatization--has unwittingly played a large role in fostering the misinformation zealotry and polarization seen today.

*I have no data to back up anything I've just said, and you're welcome to assume I'm blowing smoke up your arse. I very well could be.

Party Elephant
09-16-2022, 11:30 AM
Or the Hantavirus. Or Ebola. Or West Nile. Or Monkeypox. Or, or, or, or. Every few months seems like a new theme; one media outlet runs with a theme, then they all do. And as media has gotten smaller, the problem has gotten more widespread. And to clarify, I'm not talking about hard news, I'm talking about the presentation of this news by media.

I think the media response to, well, everything lately--the hyperbole, the fear, and stigmatization--has unwittingly played a large role in fostering the misinformation zealotry and polarization seen today.

*I have no data to back up anything I've just said, and you're welcome to assume I'm blowing smoke up your arse. I very well could be.Yeah but ozone recovery is a success story of people coordinating and doing something about a problem. It's not a case of the media made too big a deal about something 30 years ago and then it just went away on its own, it took collective action to get here.

Sr. Mints
09-16-2022, 11:40 AM
Yeah but ozone recovery is a success story of people coordinating and doing something about a problem. It's not a case of the media made too big a deal about something 30 years ago and then it just went away on its own, it took collective action to get here.Certainly, I agree. I kind of went off on a tangent there. I even thought about deleting my post until you quoted it

Shazam
09-16-2022, 11:52 AM
We are currently in the toxic individualism age. I'm crossing my fingers when we're through this, we can continue to achieve positive, real change - together - as a species.

Okay. Are you already eating crickets?

Ozy_Flame
09-16-2022, 12:16 PM
Okay. Are you already eating crickets?

Of course. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeedooommmmmmmmmm

Shazam
09-16-2022, 12:33 PM
Ah, the Muta.

FanIn80
09-16-2022, 01:44 PM
Freedom Crickets?