PDA

View Full Version : Driving Over The Us Border

KevanGuy
07-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Me and a buddy are driving to the States to check things out for the weekend. I was wondering if anyone here has driven over the border recently. I can't find my Birth Certificate but I do have my SIN card and my license. Should I expect any problems? Will I have an unpleasant run-in with Officer Thick-Fingers? Will I be refused entry back into Canada? Stay tuned next week to find out!

MrMastodonFarm
07-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by KevanGuy@Jul 30 2004, 06:59 PM
Me and a buddy are driving to the States to check things out for the weekend. I was wondering if anyone here has driven over the border recently. I can't find my Birth Certificate but I do have my SIN card and my license. Should I expect any problems? Will I have an unpleasant run-in with Officer Thick-Fingers? Will I be refused entry back into Canada? Stay tuned next week to find out!
Just don't look too shady and you shouldn't have any problems. As long as the playoff beard is gone, and those two transsexual hookers are off your shoulders you should be fine.

Just bring as much carded information as you have in your wallet. One or two ID cards should be fine. It shouldn't be a problem.

octothorp
07-30-2004, 01:04 PM
I have some relatives who were denied entry recently because they didn't have a birth certificate or passport with them. Apparently the border-guards are becoming a lot more by-the-book these last couple years.

Calgary Flames
You'll only have problems if you're an american landed immigrant living in Canada... there is some new card you have to get... I know this because my dad is a landed immigrant with american citizenship.

But if you're Canadian you're fine... usually they ask you your citizenship and your reason for entering the U.S. a S.I.N. card should be fine...

Cowperson
Border guards are apparently going to stage a work slowdown this weekend to protest a lack of contract or something.

Basically, they'll be more questioning of people to slow the line down.

I heard that on the news on the drive in this a.m.

Cowperson

KevanGuy
07-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Cowperson+Jul 30 2004, 01:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cowperson @ Jul 30 2004, 01:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KevanGuy@Jul 30 2004, 06:59 PM
Border guards are apparently going to stage a work slowdown this weekend to protest a lack of contract or something.

Cowperson [/b][/quote]
I heard bits and pieces of that too Cow. I was hoping someone could add more info on that. But, getting back into Canada shouldn't be a problem I don't think (from a lack of Birth Certificate perspective).

BerubeHater
07-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by KevanGuy+Jul 30 2004, 07:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KevanGuy @ Jul 30 2004, 07:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Cowperson@Jul 30 2004, 01:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KevanGuy@Jul 30 2004, 06:59 PM
Me and a buddy are driving to the States to check things out for the weekend.# I was wondering if anyone here has driven over the border recently.# I can't find my Birth Certificate but I do have my SIN card and my license.# Should I expect any problems?# Will I have an unpleasant run-in with Officer Thick-Fingers?# Will I be refused entry back into Canada?# Stay tuned next week to find out!

Cowperson
I heard bits and pieces of that too Cow. I was hoping someone could add more info on that. But, getting back into Canada shouldn't be a problem I don't think (from a lack of Birth Certificate perspective). [/b][/quote]
I heard this morning that they are going to be searching a lot more vehicles to slow down the lines, to proove there point.

I went over the border last year and the U.S. customs didn't care too much, but coming back to Canada was a pain in the ass. I reccommend you bring your passport.

calculoso
07-30-2004, 01:36 PM
From what I heard, it wasn't going to be searching a lot more vehicles, it was going to be searching every vehicle.

I hope that's an overstatement, but otherwise I hope that people are planning for long wait times.

nfotiu
07-30-2004, 01:52 PM
You could get denied. Legitimately you need a passport or birth certificate to prove you are a citizen to have the enjoy the somewhat easy access Canadians have to the US. Whether or not they stop you, who knows. SINs and drivers licences don't prove any kind of nationality

Thunderball
07-30-2004, 05:37 PM
I highly suggest you find your birth certificate... the border guards on both sides have becoming increasingly intolerant. Especially our side of the border, at least that was my experience 3 weeks ago.
Yeah, don't look shady, have several forms of ID, try to find a female companion as well, (cause thats less suspicious in their minds.. yes sexism is alive and well in Coutts), and be prepared to get searched if its a day trip.

FlamesAddiction
07-30-2004, 05:47 PM
I used to travel to the States all the time. Never had a problem getting across - it's coming back where they always hassled me. The Canadian border people were always pretty suspicious for some reason.