PDA

View Full Version : Westworld S4 - 6.26.22

Otto-matic
05-09-2022, 10:57 PM
ORLHTNhEqIM

Excited to see where they take this season. S3 had its moments but it wasn't as tidy as I would have liked.

Winsor_Pilates
05-10-2022, 08:46 AM
I stopped watching after season 2.
Is it worth continuing into 3? Seems to be going off the rails.

Strange Brew
05-10-2022, 09:02 AM
I stopped watching after season 2.
Is it worth continuing into 3? Seems to be going off the rails.

The writers are very ambitious and have really expanded the concept.

Unfortunately it's just not nearly as watchable as the first two seasons so I wouldn't be rushing back in. It's too bad, season 1 was magnificent.

Cecil Terwilliger
05-10-2022, 09:09 AM
Yeah season 3 had some mighty big ideas but the execution wasn’t as good as 1 or 2. I still liked it though.

Unfortunately season 1 set some lofty standards and the show gets a lot of hate online but it’s hbo so it’s still better than 90% of the content out there.

Locke
05-10-2022, 09:30 AM
Season 3 really went off the rails a bit and its been so long since then I kinda thought they might just be letting it quietly die.

nfotiu
05-10-2022, 11:01 AM
These complex shows that take year+ hiatuses are always so much work to get back into. I don't know if this one is worth the work.

blankall
05-10-2022, 11:15 AM
The show really started to get itself into trouble when it started to build up the metaphysical concepts too much. I liked the idea of the maze and it being some kind of key to unlocking the nature of the androids, but the execution of its resolve wasn't great. Then when they left the confines of the park, the show seemed to totally lose its focus. I guess you can only go so far with the idea of a robot revolution within a park though.

I stopped watching partway through season 3, as I had no idea what was going on didn't really care to keep up.

Fuzz
06-27-2022, 08:43 AM
Anyone watch this? Bit of a time jump. Looks like William may have mind control flies now?

Cappy
06-27-2022, 10:42 AM
Anyone watch this? Bit of a time jump. Looks like William may have mind control flies now?

Technically i believe this William is a Host controlled by Hayle - at the end of credits for Season 3, the real William is killed by a Host William using data he collected from the park - speculation as i assume william is still alive

Im certainly interested in this season. I will admit Season 3 wasn't amazing but it had it's moments. Season 1 is still one of the greatest experiences on TV

Finger Cookin
06-29-2022, 05:12 PM
Dramatic irony is when the audience knows more than the characters, right? What's the opposite, where the writers and characters always know more than the audience? It feels like Westworld leans on this a lot, with some revelation designed to click things into place as to what the characters have gone through, or why they're acting the way they do or why they've made certain decisions.

Not sure it works as well as intended. But I'll give this season a go, no question.

woob
07-05-2022, 11:07 PM
Season 1 was such an incredible experience, with 2 close behind, that I'll gladly continue to watch this show to see where it ends up. I agree, 3 was a bit of a slog at times, but they earned my dedication with the first 2 seasons.

Also, I don't think there's any other show where I always watch the intro. Love that music and the visuals.

Finger Cookin
07-06-2022, 05:36 PM
I agree, 3 was a bit of a slog at times, but they earned my dedication with the first 2 seasons.
They earned my dedication with Person of Interest.

FireGilbert
07-12-2022, 05:34 PM
I was still skeptical after episode 1 but 2 and 3 really turned things around and so far it’s much better than season 3. More Ed Harris and a return to the park really helps. Episode 3 was especially compelling with a great twist, despite the villain’s plan being ridiculously over complicated.

Finger Cookin
07-14-2022, 06:05 AM
I'm not sure what the plan is. Hale is a Dolores clone gone rogue, right? Or was she Teddy in a Hale shell? I forget now.

It was kind of weird watching the show replay some of it's greatest hits with a different skin.

FireGilbert
07-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Westworld is back! Episode 4 was so good filling in much needed details with at least 3 epic twists.

PeteMoss
07-29-2022, 07:55 AM
Westworld is back! Episode 4 was so good filling in much needed details with at least 3 epic twists.

Yes.. just caught up. This is as good as it was in the early seasons.

PeteMoss
08-07-2022, 08:01 PM
Wellllllll... Wasn't expecting that

Mull
08-07-2022, 08:28 PM
Yes.. just caught up. This is as good as it was in the early seasons.

Haven't ventured into this thread as I haven't watched any of S4 after that terrible S3... scrolled to the bottom and saw this!!!!!

Exiting before I see spoilers. You just made my night, I am actually excited that S4 is good so far!

See you all when I catch up.

woob
08-07-2022, 11:10 PM
They earned my dedication with Person of Interest.

Yeah, good call. I need to do a rewatch of that series again.

Mull
08-15-2022, 08:10 PM
Way behind but finally watching it... after Season 3 wasn't excited at all.

S4 has been decent so far... but ....

I just got to their rendition of Enter Sandman by Metallica??? Amazing!

As the scene built, you knew you were getting a cover of a popular song like they did in season 3. They do a bait and switch at the start (I think it sounded like paint it black) and then wham - Metallica!

Better then their S&M disc!

Ramin Djawadi is a Gem. Best part of Game of Thrones Season 6 onward and hell ya, this track is killer
Spoiler as the Youtube image of the sound track could give a tiny plot point away

And the scene has West World Season 1 naglista, mixed with well Enter Sandman negalista

Ab0lH8aJIKs

Sorry, this hyped me up ha ha
Apologies if already posted, not checking out other comments as not done season yet and spoilers...

FireGilbert
08-15-2022, 11:13 PM
I was as big a S4 booster as anyone but the finale had trouble sticking the landing. The overall story was interesting but a bunch of side plots didn’t go anywhere and there was too much cheesy dialog and poorly executed fight scenes. I think the uncertainty over S5 also caused issues as the writers had to wrap up most the story while still setting up another possible season.

PeteMoss
08-16-2022, 11:23 AM
I was as big a S4 booster as anyone but the finale had trouble sticking the landing. The overall story was interesting but a bunch of side plots didn’t go anywhere and there was too much cheesy dialog and poorly executed fight scenes. I think the uncertainty over S5 also caused issues as the writers had to wrap up most the story while still setting up another possible season.

I agree. There's also the challenge if they get a season 5 with that ending. Also feels like a big piece of the puzzling missing of how we got from the world at the end of the season 3 to the situation in the beginning of season 4.

Fuzz
08-16-2022, 11:27 AM
Watched the finale, and still am not sure what world is real.

Mull
08-17-2022, 09:40 AM
. Also feels like a big piece of the puzzling missing of how we got from the world at the end of the season 3 to the situation in the beginning of season 4.

Watched the finale, and still am not sure what world is real.

Do I need spoiler tags to respond here? I am not including them as this is a Season 4 thread......

So anyone reading this ... SPOILERS BELOW

I think what happen was:

Season 3 ends, with the after credit season Man in black human gets replaced by Man in black bot and you see a room with many bots being grown
Charlette/ Man in Black robot created thousands to millions of bots to replace humans without humans knowing (I mean they literally had a bot to replace Caleb's buddy who was taking his wife and kids to safety)
They replace top people, like the Vice President, and kill those on to them like the NSA guy
Charlette created nano bot flies to infect humans they didn't kill
Those infected were nearly under complete mind control from the bots based on the tones- Caleb found a way to beat it but they didn't actually explain that as far as I saw
Using the updated West World park, they infected the riches of the world with the flies
These people then infect others- they didn't really say how this mechanism works of infecting others, suspension of disbelief, assume extra flies leave ones body and go into someone else, who knows
Vast majority of the worlds population is infected or killed, with only Cities (or one City??) remaining for the infected to live. i.e. Billions of Humans killed. The infected that live in the Citie(s) are play things for the bots, like bots were in Season 1 and 2 for the humans
A few (unknown how many) humans live in the outskirts of society not infected

So basically nearly all humans are dead.

What I don't understand his

how Dolorous has her old memory at the end
How the stalker who knew who she was? No one else could see her, and she wasn't the same as the tower that was "hidden" - she wasn't actually there.
who her test is for, the few humans scattered alive, or the bots that made it?
Why Charlotte survived a shot to the head but Maeve is "dead"? Or just no one will go back for her brain, same with Stubs?
Why Charlotte committed suicide
How the man in black road a horse from what clearly was meant to be NY to Hoover Dam and beat a jet
Where did clementine come from? The Man in Black had a scene where he killed her - where was that?
Where were the robots living outside of the Cities aside from ascension? Their own cities doing things?

Mull
08-17-2022, 09:44 AM
Also, huge spoiler, and these youtube channels will eventually get taken down..

But Paint it Black vs Enter Sandman Scenes. .. both fantastic

9CsoKABs6BA

I wish this one started slightly earlier with the paint it black fake out on the piano as they were leading up to the same scene - I loved that that baited Paint it Black to switch over

hpJEfVKi8IA

Fuzz
08-17-2022, 09:50 AM
What confused me at the end is that the city we see everyone dead in(after the fighting) is kinda the main action set. Charlotte smashes the floor in the tower to get Dolores's brain ball out. She takes that, and puts it in the big computer bank, where Delores re-awakens...in the city that is supposed to be the real world with all the dead people in the streets. But this is the simulation. Is the simulation mirroring the real world?

Mull
08-17-2022, 09:54 AM
What confused me at the end is that the city we see everyone dead in(after the fighting) is kinda the main action set. Charlotte smashes the floor in the tower to get Dolores's brain ball out. She takes that, and puts it in the big computer bank, where Delores re-awakens...in the city that is supposed to be the real world with all the dead people in the streets. But this is the simulation. Is the simulation mirroring the real world?

My view:

Delores re-awakens in the sublime - despite her "seeing" the dead people and the same City, she was no longer in the City. The City massacre happened, and she was there though but when she rewoke up in like the last scene of the show she was then in the sublime. Maybe she saw the City and dead people in the sublime as it was the last thing she remembered before going dark.

She then clears that memory and creates her new test, which looks like old WestWorld.

Simulations did mirror the real world, but only when the people in the sublime chose to do so

PeteMoss
08-17-2022, 12:17 PM
Do I need spoiler tags to respond here? I am not including them as this is a Season 4 thread......

So anyone reading this ... SPOILERS BELOW

I think what happen was:

Season 3 ends, with the after credit season Man in black human gets replaced by Man in black bot and you see a room with many bots being grown
Charlette/ Man in Black robot created thousands to millions of bots to replace humans without humans knowing (I mean they literally had a bot to replace Caleb's buddy who was taking his wife and kids to safety)
They replace top people, like the Vice President, and kill those on to them like the NSA guy
Charlette created nano bot flies to infect humans they didn't kill
Those infected were nearly under complete mind control from the bots based on the tones- Caleb found a way to beat it but they didn't actually explain that as far as I saw
Using the updated West World park, they infected the riches of the world with the flies
These people then infect others- they didn't really say how this mechanism works of infecting others, suspension of disbelief, assume extra flies leave ones body and go into someone else, who knows
Vast majority of the worlds population is infected or killed, with only Cities (or one City??) remaining for the infected to live. i.e. Billions of Humans killed. The infected that live in the Citie(s) are play things for the bots, like bots were in Season 1 and 2 for the humans
A few (unknown how many) humans live in the outskirts of society not infected

So basically nearly all humans are dead.

What I don't understand his

how Dolorous has her old memory at the end
How the stalker who knew who she was? No one else could see her, and she wasn't the same as the tower that was "hidden" - she wasn't actually there.
who her test is for, the few humans scattered alive, or the bots that made it?
Why Charlotte survived a shot to the head but Maeve is "dead"? Or just no one will go back for her brain, same with Stubs?
Why Charlotte committed suicide
How the man in black road a horse from what clearly was meant to be NY to Hoover Dam and beat a jet
Where did clementine come from? The Man in Black had a scene where he killed her - where was that?
Where were the robots living outside of the Cities aside from ascension? Their own cities doing things?

I thought the same thing as (6) but someone mentioned we likely drove most of the way in the truck before it was destroyed or the city wasn't New York (or probably the most likely - just a big plot hole)

Fuzz
08-17-2022, 12:25 PM
gah, wrong thread!

Mull
08-17-2022, 05:21 PM
If they get renewed and don’t get Sir Anthony Hopkins back for their last season I will riot.

Dream sequence, flash back, robot, other -don’t care.

With how many people that don’t stay dead and come back they can do it and it won’t even necessary be a lip service but could be good plot.

Even if lip service, the writing hasn’t been “amazing” since season 2 anyway

nfotiu
11-04-2022, 02:02 PM
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/westworld-canceled-hbo-1235328276/#recipient_hashed=089e86f5a2067298a83c58cefe6f3fce df966b4c8f65bcbe3f634d4eb3917f2d&recipient_salt=16a0a3a7792fd7a5f747c6ccf677dd48f3b 478cdce98147a06856a1ce23541ee

I guess it is done. I've been meaning to get back to finish Season 4, but if it doesn't get a proper ending, I guess maybe it's not worth it?

Finger Cookin
11-04-2022, 02:15 PM
The show creators have moved on to The Peripheral at Amazon, so this isn't a shock. I feel like S5 would have been airing in 2024 if it did get greenlit.

I enjoyed this series on the whole, but it definitely meandered in S3 & S4 and lost a lot of its focus. I personally appreciated the attempt at telling larger stories beyond "theme park disaster", but I also get those larger stories largely didn't land with the audience.

I kind of feel like The Peripheral is heading to the same "not landing" spot, but I'll give it a go anyway.

getbak
11-04-2022, 02:24 PM
I think it had a decent enough ending if that's holding you back from watching Season 4. Honestly, with the way Season 4 ended, I wasn't sure what new story they could tell in Season 5.

It did lose a lot of what made it great once they left the park(s) and entered the "real world".

woob
11-05-2022, 09:45 PM
Still one of the best intros in TV history. I think I watched it fully every episode.

KTrain
11-05-2022, 10:45 PM

Locke
11-05-2022, 11:13 PM

For me it was the huge, huge gaps between seasons.

I just lost interest. Too much meandering and eventually it lost me.

8 episodes every ~18 months or so?

woob
11-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Yeah the gaps didn't help it that's for sure.

getbak
11-05-2022, 11:35 PM
I wonder what the numbers look like if HBO Max viewers are included (assuming they're not)? Season 4 is the only season released after the launch of HBO Max.