PDA

View Full Version : Eddie the Eagle and others fly the coop

Sample00
09-06-2004, 08:32 AM
In a culmination of trades over the last few days, Ed Belfour was granted his wish and sent packing. Seen rolling bowling balls in the hallways of the Continental Airlines Arena, The Eagle was asked to comment on the trade. "Well thank God thats over with, I told Axmann flat out that if he wanted to make that kid a starter well then let him start and get me outta here!", Belfour was quoted as saying and also referencing "him" as the young goaltending phenom Ari Ahonen. "I am looking forward to going to Columbus. Its a hot bed of hockey and I know at least I will be appreciated there!", Belfour said. In addition to Belfour a third round pick was sent to Columbus along with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Returning to New Jersey, are defenceman Alexei Semenov and young goaltending prospect Alex Auld. GM Axmann said that Semenov is a good young d prospect and we are looking at building our defence around players like him and Leopold. Alex is a good young goaltending prospect who has had a taste of the bigs and we see good things in him.

Asked about his collection of goaltending prospects, Axmann said, "You can never have enough good goaltenders, I may even strapped the pads on myself if I need to."

In other news, Andrew Cassels has also been shipped off to the Wild. In an apparent effort to move to youth, Axmann shipped Cassels off to the Wild for young talent Matt Cullen ©, Alexander Radulov and draft picks in rounds three and four of the 2005 draft. Although it was tough to see Cassels head out, Axmann said that it just goes with the new team philosophy of getting younger and building for the future.

The Devils also said good bye to defenceman Marcus Ragnarrson. Axmann said that Marcus really wasnt in the plans long term so we sent him to the Canadians for Konstantin Koltsov and draft picks in rounds 2 and 4 in the 2005 draft. Again this move makes us younger and helps out our forward ranks especially on that Left side.

Axmann was asked if anything else was going to happen and he replied that anything can happen and usually always does. " I think I might have to move a goaltending prospect or two or possibly something else,. You just never know.