PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Places

undercoverbrother
01-10-2022, 03:17 PM
We have a Pizza thread, but #### me I love me a good Breakfast Place. Years ago my wife and I would walk to the Galaxy to clear our heads the crush a great breakfast.

We often will walk to the Bro'Kin Yolk in Mahogany for a nice breakfast.

What are some of your go to places?

Kybosh
01-10-2022, 03:56 PM
We live near brunch alley (up and down Edmonton trail and the nearby area).

Favourites of ours in no particular order:
-Namo
-Queens
-Blue Star Diner
-Big Fish has a surprisingly good brunch
-OEB

I personally find Diner Deluxe kinda overrated. I also really like Red's in basically any of their locations.

DownInFlames
01-10-2022, 03:57 PM
A&W*

*Must be over 65.

iLoveLamp
01-10-2022, 03:59 PM
Blue Star is the ####.

Cowboy89
01-10-2022, 04:02 PM
I second Bro'kin Yolk - locations in Creekside, Signal Hill, Mahogany

Excellent chicken and waffles and other breakfast items. They also just opened Brostogo which offers breakfest sandwiches on the go with similar styles as Bro'kin yolk. The location is on Northmount drive just off of Crowchild and Northland Dr. across from Northland VW

undercoverbrother
01-10-2022, 04:08 PM
A&W*

*Must be over 65.

Do they still offer the real plates and cutlery?

DownInFlames
01-10-2022, 04:26 PM
Do they still offer the real plates and cutlery?

COVID might have changed things but I think they do.

undercoverbrother
01-10-2022, 04:30 PM
COVID might have changed things but I think they do.

Honestly (pre-pandemic) it wasn't a bad dollar to value breakfast.

the_only_turek_fan
01-10-2022, 07:25 PM
Brekkie in West Springs.

the_only_turek_fan
01-10-2022, 07:26 PM
Also Fergus and Bix has a good brunch if you live in that area.

Jiri Hrdina
01-10-2022, 08:19 PM
Phils

Strange Brew
01-10-2022, 08:50 PM
Used to love the Phil’s by the Banff Springs as a kid. Still there?

sleepingmoose
01-10-2022, 08:59 PM
Used to love the Phil’s by the Banff Springs as a kid. Still there?

No, it's been a Chinese restaurant for a while.

DownInFlames
01-10-2022, 09:14 PM
Phil’s is ok. It’s weird that they call their sausages chubbies though.

Jiri Hrdina
01-10-2022, 09:47 PM
Phil’s is ok. It’s weird that they call their sausages chubbies though.

No they have sausages too
If you can’t tell the difference between a sausage and a chubbie I don’t know how to help you

WhiteTiger
01-10-2022, 10:37 PM
My wife and I generally hit up Monki in Inglewood, if we are feeling breakfast out.

flamingred89
01-10-2022, 11:49 PM
Man, I love Phil's. Get a stack of buttermilk pancakes, a glass of chocolate milk(because I'm apparently 7), and a caraff of coffee for like $12. Great value for a wicked hangover cure.

We tried Brostogo the other day and were quite disappointed. Hard to say why exactly but the flavours didn't really land for us and the price point was high.

CofR
01-11-2022, 04:35 AM
John’s Breakfast and Lunch on 4th ST NW, right next to 4th Spot, is a favourite of mine. Excellent Breakfast Poutine

Erick Estrada
01-11-2022, 06:26 AM
My favorite right now is Queens Breakfast Cocktails.

Misterpants
01-11-2022, 08:29 AM
What's the intel on the Belmont these days? Used to go every weekend pre-kids. Their breakfast burrito was so friggin good. And they mad a montreal smoked meat hash with the meat from the deli 3 doors down. It was amazing as well. haven't been in forever. Anyone go recently?

KTrain
01-11-2022, 08:39 AM
The fried oatmeal at Diner Deluxe is incredible.

Insufficient Funds
01-11-2022, 08:40 AM

Came to say this.

OEB is on the same level, just less alcohol. Either way you'll be pleased.

undercoverbrother
01-11-2022, 11:00 AM
What's the intel on the Belmont these days? Used to go every weekend pre-kids. Their breakfast burrito was so friggin good. And they mad a montreal smoked meat hash with the meat from the deli 3 doors down. It was amazing as well. haven't been in forever. Anyone go recently?

Not bad actually.

Well I've only been to the one in Marda Loop. My boy has physio near there so we try to hit it up.

Can confirm burrito is still good.

Slacker
01-11-2022, 11:08 AM
I enjoy the French Toasts from Monki Bistro in Inglewood.

undercoverbrother
01-11-2022, 11:11 AM
Phils

I have such fond memories of Phils on Glenmore and Elbow. We would meet there as a team before every road game when playing rugby. My buddy (who killed himself in '16) loved that place.

Such good memories, I haven't been in since he killed himself, I don't want the memories changed.

Tron_fdc
01-11-2022, 12:49 PM
I HIGHLY recommend Sweetgrass in Okotoks. Before I moved I was there at least once a week.

https://sweetgrassdeli.com/Breakfast

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g181799-d4848183-Reviews-Sweetgrass_Deli_Eatery-Okotoks_Alberta.html

Maritime Q-Scout
01-11-2022, 01:23 PM
There's no where better than a mom and pop shop for breakfast.

I'll take a gas station restaurant breakfast over a breakfast chain 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Breakfast is the one meal I abso-freakin'-lutely knock out of the park. Eggs, bacon, sausage, bologna, hashbrowns, toast, fruit smoothie, coffee, fresh fruit... love making a big breakfast almost as much as eating it.

Here in Cape Breton, Missy's in Mira is the best hands down.

me_dennis
01-11-2022, 04:02 PM
OEB is my favorite, and there are so many locations popping up everywhere. I usually get the Soul in a Bowl breakfast poutine, with half spinach or arugula and half potatoes to make it less heavy.

SirPsychoSexy
01-11-2022, 07:27 PM
Bea's Cafe (inside Bite grocery) in Inglewood is delicious! Super fresh toast, jam, eggs, hash browns. You should go!

Amethyst
01-11-2022, 08:26 PM
Another vote for Queens! I also like Madisons in Inglewood, although the only thing I've ever had there were the chicken and waffle nachos. (Waffle and chicken pieces in the shape of nachos, to go with their nacho theme.)

darockwilder
01-12-2022, 12:55 PM
John’s Breakfast and Lunch on 4th ST NW, right next to 4th Spot, is a favourite of mine. Excellent Breakfast Poutine

I was always curious about that place.

Kiran403
01-12-2022, 12:59 PM
We have a Pizza thread, but #### me I love me a good Breakfast Place. Years ago my wife and I would walk to the Galaxy to clear our heads the crush a great breakfast.

We often will walk to the Bro'Kin Yolk in Mahogany for a nice breakfast.

What are some of your go to places?

Just wanted to say thanks for this recommendation. Tried it yesterday and it was so good! The eggs benny with waffles is AMAZING and the duck fat hash was delicious.

My go-to spots before I moved too far south were always Belmont and Galaxie. The hashbrowns were always good and the bennies on croissants never disappointed.

Patek23
01-12-2022, 01:02 PM
All of the above mentioned are great. I'm a sucker for nostalgic diner styles that are cheap. The foods not anything you couldn't cook yourself at home but I like to go and sit and eat in the Deer Head Cafe on ed trail every once in a while. Can't remember the pricing but it's gotta be one of the cheapest ones.

DownInFlames
01-12-2022, 01:33 PM
It’s about time someone mentioned Deer Head. No pretension allowed in that place.

CliffFletcher
01-12-2022, 03:22 PM
The SW is a wasteland for breakfast places. Almost every restaurant recommended in this thread is a 20-30 min drive away.

undercoverbrother
01-12-2022, 04:11 PM
The SW is a wasteland for breakfast places. Almost every restaurant recommended in this thread is a 20-30 min drive away.

What part of the SW, maybe someone will share with you sugarbear.

Insufficient Funds
01-12-2022, 04:20 PM
Isn't Belmont Diner in Marda loop? It was always a good breakfast place.

undercoverbrother
01-12-2022, 04:21 PM
Isn't Belmont Diner in Marda loop? It was always a good breakfast place.

Yeah it is.

But from recent posting I think Cliff lives down by Anderson and Tsuut'ina Trail SW.

Swift
01-12-2022, 04:28 PM

Isn't there a patisserie/breakfast place by the Safeway in Woodbine? At least I think it's a breakfast place. Only ever stopped in to pick up desserts.

Slava
01-12-2022, 04:30 PM
Isn't there a patisserie/breakfast place by the Safeway in Woodbine? At least I think it's a breakfast place. Only ever stopped in to pick up desserts.

That patisserie is supposed to be really good (don’t know about breakfast though).

Just don’t say Nellies. That place is not great. The closest is probably Phils.

Kybosh
01-12-2022, 04:35 PM

Empire Provisions in my old hood of Haysboro has a very solid breakfast menu, although the sit down portion of the store is pretty small. Worth it though.

CliffFletcher
01-12-2022, 04:59 PM

Patisserie de Soleil. It’s hit and miss. The beignets with homemade jam is a hit.

jwslam
01-12-2022, 05:09 PM
Ricky's in Country Hills complex is hands down the best chain-breakfast.

I don't understand why they can do it better than others.

DeluxeMoustache
01-12-2022, 08:06 PM
We live near brunch alley (up and down Edmonton trail and the nearby area).

Favourites of ours in no particular order:
-Namo
-Queens
-Blue Star Diner
-Big Fish has a surprisingly good brunch
-OEB

I personally find Diner Deluxe kinda overrated. I also really like Red's in basically any of their locations.

Diner Deluxe was great when it was the original owners. It used to be all vintage tables and chairs, plus they had those mirrors up by the skylights that aligned with the windows, it was a pretty cool decision. The food was all homemade and top notch.

The new (well, it’s a long while back now) owners reno’d to add the big dark cushioned benches, killed the vibe, and the food went downhill.

Kind of a shame as it was the kind of place that people would scout out and show up in films or tv programs

Jiri Hrdina
01-12-2022, 08:09 PM

I will drive a crazy distance for a good breakfast

ComixZone
01-12-2022, 08:19 PM
Through the pandemic I ordered from Galaxie Diner or OEB pretty much every weekend. I enjoy both.

Few years back the girl and I ran into Austin Czarnik at Galaxie. I looked awkwardly at him from one of the side tables…we gave the ol head nod hello. I’m sure it was as exciting for him as it was for me. It’s probably the most famous person I’ve ever seen whilst eating French toast…probably…

Weitz
01-12-2022, 09:00 PM
I like Vero for breakfast. The Benny is priced (or was pre covid) the same as at reds across the street.

CofR
01-12-2022, 11:16 PM
I was always curious about that place.

It is a Mom & Pop place that is run by a delightful family. Very good diner style meals with reasonable prices, they’ve also got some great springs rolls and Vermicelli!

Bring_Back_Shantz
01-13-2022, 08:38 AM
All of the above mentioned are great. I'm a sucker for nostalgic diner styles that are cheap. The foods not anything you couldn't cook yourself at home but I like to go and sit and eat in the Deer Head Cafe on ed trail every once in a while. Can't remember the pricing but it's gotta be one of the cheapest ones.

It’s about time someone mentioned Deer Head. No pretension allowed in that place.

I drive by this place all the time.
I love the idea of it, I love me a good dive.
Is it actually good? I'm willing to go just about anywhere if it is at least clean.

Insufficient Funds
01-13-2022, 12:20 PM
Is it actually good? I'm willing to go just about anywhere if it is at least clean.

Debatable on the "clean" front. Used to get $2.99 steak and eggs specials from there. A lifetime ago...

Inglewood Jack
01-13-2022, 02:09 PM
just as with pizza recently, West Springs and Aspen are now blessed with options

Morning Brunch Co
Brekkie
Belmont Diner
Ladybug Cafe (turns into Good Pizza during evening)
Fergus & Bix (pub that does weekend brunch)
Bier Haus (same)

despite all the fancy options available, I'll inevitably get something that is a combination of the following

egg
bacon
sausage
toast
pancake
waffle
hash brown

maybe that's why I almost never have a negative experience even at a mediocre place, cause it's kinda hard to screw these up, and if they do then I'll just drown it in syrup anyhow.

Jiri Hrdina
01-13-2022, 02:15 PM

It's exactly what you would expect it to be.
When you are sitting there drinking a coffee and having bacon and eggs, it feels like you are possibly someone who is "up to know good", out of The Wire.

Blaster86
01-13-2022, 02:28 PM
You're ever in North Vancouver, head on over to Tommy's Cafe.

Not as good as it used to be, but still my favourite. Nothing too fancy, nothing mind blowing just simple and good. Also, they have always mixed a mean caesar, no matter who has worked there.

Cecil Terwilliger
01-13-2022, 07:35 PM
It's exactly what you would expect it to be.
When you are sitting there drinking a coffee and having bacon and eggs, it feels like you are possibly someone who is "up to know good", out of The Wire.

Or Mike from Breaking Bad.

Torture
01-13-2022, 11:05 PM

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes.
Their Croque Madame is killer.