PDA

View Full Version : Practice notes Jan 9 - Brett Ritchie signed to PTO. Bennett unfit to participate

sureLoss
01-09-2021, 09:36 AM
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
#Flames Camp Update: Sam Bennett will not skate today (unfit to participate).

In addition, forward Justin Kirkland has been assigned to the @AHLHeat and forward Brett Ritchie has been signed to a PTO.

per the Flames Camp teams have been changed. Looks like majority of NHL regulars in first group

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/updated-camp-teams/c-320154300

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames group one today:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Gaudreau-Monahan-Simon
Mangiapane-Backlund-Leivo
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Nesterov
Mackey-Stone

Markstrom
Rittich

No Bennett, he skated on his own this morning.

Monahammer
01-09-2021, 09:38 AM
Whats going on with Bennett?

Textcritic
01-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Whats going on with Bennett?"Unfit to participate" is code-speak for "tested positive for COVID," isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Bingo
01-09-2021, 09:43 AM
"Unfit to participate" is code-speak for "tested positive for COVID," isn't it?

I think it's more a way to encompass everything so we don't know if it's a positive covid test.

Saw on Twitter he skated alone with a coach today, doubt they'd do that to the poor coach if it was a covid case.

Enoch Root
01-09-2021, 09:44 AM
Except he has already been skating with the team, has he not? If he tested positive now, wouldn't that send a pretty significant wave through the team? I think there would be more than one holdout if he did test positive.

ComixZone
01-09-2021, 09:46 AM

No. It’s what all teams are supposed to say about any illness or injury.

Sam skated on his own today, and was out of the scrimmage for precautionary reasons. It seems much more likely he’s nursing some sort of injury.

He would not be at the arena at all if it was COVID related.

Robbob
01-09-2021, 09:48 AM

I seem to recall Friedman say any positive covid cases would be handled by the NHL statement wise. Could be a close contact thing and is in limbo until tests negative the required amount.

Flames1217
01-09-2021, 09:51 AM
Delete please

Envitro
01-09-2021, 09:51 AM
Or it could be a minor injury that they're nursing, and don't want to be aggravated with contact... like ribs for example.

Not everything is COVID...

Samonadreau
01-09-2021, 09:55 AM
Wonder why Ritchie would be signed to PTO so late in the camp....

sureLoss
01-09-2021, 09:58 AM
#Flames have changed things up as expected. Have moved most of their NHL regulars into the first group of skaters.

Oliver Kylington an exception, as he’s been put with the second group. PTO forward Brett Ritchie also in the second group.

Burning Beard
01-09-2021, 09:59 AM
I'm not opposed to Ritchie signing as a PTO as long as he is only used when they think the upcoming game might get out of hand based on previous outings against the same team.

savardandjokinen
01-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Mackey instead of Kylington wow

sureLoss
01-09-2021, 10:02 AM
#Flames group one today:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Gaudreau-Monahan-Simon
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Nesterov
Mackey-Stone

Markstrom
Rittich

FlamesAreOne
01-09-2021, 10:09 AM
@fan960lou
Dillon Dube on a line with Tkachuk and Lindholm

keenan87
01-09-2021, 10:10 AM
#Flames group one today:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Gaudreau-Monahan-Simon
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Nesterov
Mackey-Stone

Markstrom
Rittich

That Top 9 is exactly what I would like to see moving forward.

Samonadreau
01-09-2021, 10:22 AM
@fan960lou
Dillon Dube on a line with Tkachuk and Lindholm

Yes please.

TheScorpion
01-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Is Ritchie even in town?

Enoch Root
01-09-2021, 10:38 AM
#Flames group one today:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Gaudreau-Monahan-Simon
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Nesterov
Mackey-Stone

Markstrom
Rittich

Love those lines, but not the defense.

bubbsy
01-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Good to see Dube getting a shot. He's the guy I am most intrigued by as a breakout player.

Enoch Root
01-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Putting Lindholm with Tkachuk just sets up the entire forward group.

All kinds of great options for their winger: Dube, Mangiapane, Simon, Leivo

Then slot in an RQ for Gaudreau/Monahan: Leivo, Mangiapane, Simon

And you still have Backlund, Bennett, and 2 of the guys listed above, for the bottom 6.

With a shortened and condensed schedule, where you play the same 6 teams over and over, depth will be more important this year than ever. And the Flames are very deep at forward.

Textcritic
01-09-2021, 10:51 AM
Love those lines, but not the defense.What don't you like about it?

I can't decide if I prefer Tanev with Giordano or with Hanifin, but I think it depends on what happens in games and as the season goes. The way I see it, there are two #1 defensemen to start: Giordano and Andersson. The top pair is loaded up for very heavy lifting, but I wonder if they would also like to run them separately to keep everyone's minutes close.

Valimaki hopefully (probably?) makes it difficult to keep him out of the top-four by season's end.

bc-chris
01-09-2021, 10:53 AM
man... it's gonna take me a bit to get used to seeing so many ex-nucks in our lineup. i hope they work out great, but it just kind of feels wrong right now!

i'm sure that opinion will change once i've watched a few games, but right now i feel like i need to go take a shower! ha! ha!

KootenayFlamesFan
01-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Yeah the top 6 d-men and pairings look fine to me. Even the depth guys are ok, the bigger surprise is not seeing Kylington in there instead of Stone. Really wonder how long he's going to be with the organization, just has never seemed like a great fit. But who knows, he's still young, maybe something starts to click this season if he can somehow wiggle his way into the lineup for a few games due to injuries.

Textcritic
01-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Yeah the top 6 d-men and pairings look fine to me. Even the depth guys are ok, the bigger surprise is not seeing Kylington in there instead of Stone. Really wonder how long he's going to be with the organization, just has never seemed like a great fit. But who knows, he's still young, maybe something starts to click this season if he can somehow wiggle his way into the lineup for a few games due to injuries.I tbink Kylngton's camp assignment is most an immigration issue, no? Because he was so late starting camp it is also unsurprising that they would get him up to speed before adding him to the main group.

Bingo
01-09-2021, 11:00 AM
Given Kylington's late arrival due to travel issues and quarantine I don't think we should read too much into the group two assignment today.

Cali Panthers Fan
01-09-2021, 11:09 AM
I like seeing Mackey in the top 8. I keep hearing how impressive he is for just out of college. It'd be great to see a scrimmage to assess his abilities and style of play a little more.

Nelson
01-09-2021, 11:21 AM
I really like Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube.

It seems like the team is committed to three forward pairings: Tkachuk and Lindholm, Gaudreau and Monahan, and Mangiapane and Backlund.

The one question I have is where does Bennett play? I was really hoping he could centre two offensively gifted wingers, but that looks impossible with that top 9. So, maybe you put him alongside Mangiapane and Backlund and move Leivo with Gaudreau and Monahan?

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube
Gaudreau - Monahan - Leivo
Mangiapane - Backlund - Bennett
Lucic - Ryan - Simon

I personally like that quite a bit.

D as in David
01-09-2021, 11:31 AM
IIRC, Ward (Tre?) said Kyllington wouldn't join the club until after Monday's scrimmage.

Enoch Root
01-09-2021, 11:32 AM
What don't you like about it?

I can't decide if I prefer Tanev with Giordano or with Hanifin, but I think it depends on what happens in games and as the season goes. The way I see it, there are two #1 defensemen to start: Giordano and Andersson. The top pair is loaded up for very heavy lifting, but I wonder if they would also like to run them separately to keep everyone's minutes close.

Valimaki hopefully (probably?) makes it difficult to keep him out of the top-four by season's end.

I prefer Giordano-Tanev, so that they can play the tough minutes, freeing up Andersson to be able to focus on his game and open up his offense.

It isn't the end of the world this way or anything, just prefer the 'standard' setting with the D.

Matty81
01-09-2021, 11:36 AM
Ritchie is a good add if they sign him. He doesn't fight a ton but can play a shift and handle himself. There are going to be lots of fights this year. Having guys like him, Robinson, Petrovic and Rinaldo on the roster mostly in the PB but ready for the Edmonton games is a smart move as Flames have really wilted in those kinds of games in the past.

I'd like more tough players with skill but if you can't land that... press box depth like this makes sense.

KootenayFlamesFan
01-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Given Kylington's late arrival due to travel issues and quarantine I don't think we should read too much into the group two assignment today.

Fair enough. But I do stand by my comment about me not seeing him as a great fit with this team yet. Just has always seemed like a square peg/round hole thing. I hope he can make his mark sometime this season. I just don't seem him in Calgary long term.

Wood
01-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Ritchie is a good add if they sign him. He doesn't fight a ton but can play a shift and handle himself. There are going to be lots of fights this year. Having guys like him, Robinson, Petrovic and Rinaldo on the roster mostly in the PB but ready for the Edmonton games is a smart move as Flames have really wilted in those kinds of games in the past.

I'd like more tough players with skill but if you can't land that... press box depth like this makes sense.

A couple of my Bruin fan friends said Ritchie was by far the worst player on their team in years

sureLoss
01-09-2021, 12:05 PM
Is Ritchie even in town?

BTW Flames gave Ritchie #24

PTO forward Brett Ritchie is on the ice with the team for the first time today.

He’s gone through his seven-day quarantine to clear him for camp. #Flames

sureLoss
01-09-2021, 12:08 PM
Oliver Kylington is also on the ice for the first time, earlier than expected.

Original plan was for him to join on-ice sessions sometime next week. #Flames

Enoch Root
01-09-2021, 12:08 PM
Fair enough. But I do stand by my comment about me not seeing him as a great fit with this team yet. Just has always seemed like a square peg/round hole thing. I hope he can make his mark sometime this season. I just don't seem him in Calgary long term.

I don't disagree with you. But the team is much more focused on skating and speed this year, so that may change things for him. We'll see.

1qqaaz
01-09-2021, 12:16 PM
I still think the Flames can't afford to have so many non-productive players, such as Rinaldo, Ritchie, and to a lesser extent, Robinson.
Games are too close. You can't sacrifice a line of scoring.

I prefer the Josh Leivo and Dominic Simon signings, since at least that can contribute to an extent.

kyuss275
01-09-2021, 12:19 PM
I still think the Flames can't afford to have so many non-productive players, such as Rinaldo, Ritchie, and to a lesser extent, Robinson.
Games are too close. You can't sacrifice a line of scoring.

I prefer the Josh Leivo and Dominic Simon signings, since at least that can contribute to an extent.

Those players are going to be on taxi squad. Sure it would nice to have a bunch of extra skilled forwards on taxi squad. but I doubt many skilled players would sign up with a team like the flames knowing they would be on taxi squad.

sureLoss
01-09-2021, 12:20 PM
Brett Ritchie skating with Byron Froese and Buddy Robinson in Calgary’s second group today.

Oliver Kylington on a D-pairing with Alex Petrovic. #Flames

djsFlames
01-09-2021, 12:20 PM
Agreed. More Simon, Leivo signings. Even Nordstrom has his strengths that benefit a team.

I wouldn't have more than one Rinaldo type player on my NHL payroll in this day and age.

sureLoss
01-09-2021, 12:21 PM
Sounds like Calgary’s WJC prospects (Pelletier, Zary, Wolf) will be joining on-ice sessions with the team at training camp tomorrow.

Jakob Pelletier says they’ve been told they’ll likely play in Monday’s intra-squad game. #Flames

Canada 02
01-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Kirkland out, Ritchie in

How did they get Kylington in without another cut?

Who has been cut for Zary and Pelletier?

Textcritic
01-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Agreed. More Simon, Leivo signings. Even Nordstrom has his strengths that benefit a team.

I wouldn't have more than one Rinaldo type player on my NHL payroll in this day and age.

But those players were all signed to NHL contracts. Ritchie is in camp on a tryout. I think this distinction is an important one that a lot of posters continue to miss.

colbym72
01-09-2021, 12:56 PM
What do we think of Andersson for fantasy breakout this year? I got him in a categories league since he is gonna be on PP1

Icon
01-09-2021, 01:04 PM
What do we think of Andersson for fantasy breakout this year? I got him in a categories league since he is gonna be on PP1

Well if the Flames PP does well, it's probably good for Rasmus. If they struggle, I presume Gio or Valimaki will be thrown in instead.

I'd say it's optimistic that he comes out flying, but who knows

btimbit
01-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Ritchie is a perfect taxi squad guy

AC
01-09-2021, 01:31 PM
Brett Ritchie is a pretty bad NHLer by all accounts, but another fighter if need be:
uDxIEAT05Ck
uEeLCMQKwoY
I-L-3EH5vYo

Especially this season with multiple games against the same teams in a row... I could see a 2nd or 3rd game in a "series" having Rinaldo and/or Ritchie in suddenly.

Strange Brew
01-09-2021, 01:36 PM
I hope this is an indication that Mackey is playing well.

Sandman
01-09-2021, 01:41 PM
I can't resist pulling for Robinson to get more time on the team. I really hope he's turned the corner-I love huge guys who can skate and play physical.

SeanCharles
01-09-2021, 01:41 PM
That Top 9 is exactly what I would like to see moving forward.

Except for Bennett in place of Simon I agree..

sureLoss
01-09-2021, 01:44 PM
#Flames head coach Geoff Ward is hopeful Sam Bennett will rejoin the group for practice tomorrow. “Day at a time” right now, but no use pushing something at this stage.

Bennett missed Thursday’s intra-squad game and skated on his own this morning.

When asked, head coach Geoff Ward says they haven’t decided on a firm plan for how/when Pelletier, Zary, and Wolf will join camp.

Says there’s a chance they could join the group soon, but final plan still being figured out. #Flames

schteve_d
01-09-2021, 01:47 PM
I can't resist pulling for Robinson to get more time on the team. I really hope he's turned the corner-I love huge guys who can skate and play physical.

I get it, I like cheering for underdogs too and his size is welcome on the roster but at 29 years old and with 12 GP in the NHL, I don't think there is any corner for Robinson to turn.

Flames1217
01-09-2021, 02:35 PM
I get it, I like cheering for underdogs too and his size is welcome on the roster but at 29 years old and with 12 GP in the NHL, I don't think there is any corner for Robinson to turn.

Didn't Derek Ryan start his NHL career at 29?

schteve_d
01-09-2021, 03:01 PM
Didn't Derek Ryan start his NHL career at 29?

Valid point. Very different player but I suppose it proves it can happen. As much as I'd love to see it for Buddy, I just don't. But, who knows?

1qqaaz
01-09-2021, 04:05 PM
Derek Grant seems to have made a decent career for himself.

Even Derek Smith played a decent amount of games.

It's a Derek thing.

Plaedo
01-09-2021, 04:08 PM

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1348043659506196480?s=20

Calgary4LIfe
01-09-2021, 04:14 PM
I actually have the same feelings towards Robinson - I quite like what his overall package is, and it wouldn't surprise me if it just suddenly 'clicks' for him. I think this season will be his best opportunity to force his way into an NHL regular. He is fast, very physical, crazy reach that seems quite disruptive, and seems to have decent hockey sense and hands - better than expected given his age and NHL experience anyway.

The games are unquestionably going to become chippy affairs. I think players like Ronaldo and Ritchie - and to a lesser extent, Robinson (physical but not exactly a deterrent) - are very useful types of players to have in these games. However, it is a big ask in expecting them to go out and play that physical game in and game out, so being part of a regular rotation might allow for these guys to come in and really give their best efforts on most nights. I do think that Robinson will probably be part of a rotation of sorts getting these guys into the chippy games - which will be game #2 or #3 against the same teams. Keeps them hungry, keeps them rested, and hopefully allows for them to really come out with huge efforts to set the tone. I think this may be the most emotional and physical hockey that we have seen in a regular season, and these players may become a more important part of the team for this season.

Jeff Lebowski
01-09-2021, 04:21 PM
This regular season can be broken into 8 seven game series. Can you have 8 different Ferland-esque wrecking balls step up in each segment?

Unrealistic to have that given lots of factors (difference in how games are called reg v playoffs) but who doesn't want CGY to have a very physical element in the lineup?

Sandman
01-09-2021, 04:27 PM
I think that playing a physical game night in, night out is much less taxing for a guy who is 6'6", and easily being on the winning end of most those 50/50 battles, lol

Enoch Root
01-09-2021, 05:47 PM
No one is suddenly going to become a star at 29, after a decade in the minors. However, it is very possible for someone with good tools to finally figure out how to effectively use those tools and become a useful player.

Robinson has good speed to go along with his size. So him becoming a player isn't a huge stretch. It is still unlikely, but far from outlandish.

Sandman
01-09-2021, 05:58 PM
No one is suddenly going to become a star at 29, after a decade in the minors. However, it is very possible for someone with good tools to finally figure out how to effectively use those tools and become a useful player.

Robinson has good speed to go along with his size. So him becoming a player isn't a huge stretch. It is still unlikely, but far from outlandish.

Oh yeah, exactly my point. I don’t expect him to be Lindros or anything. Lol

Enoch Root
01-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Oh yeah, exactly my point. I don’t expect him to be Lindros or anything. Lol

Yes, I wasn't rebutting you (or anyone else), just trying to add my slant to the discussion.

DeluxeMoustache
01-10-2021, 02:27 AM
I just remember seeing Buddy Robinson dumping the puck in to Gaudreau’s corner for Johnny to dig out and thought, ‘ok, I’ve seen enough of this’

He should be nowhere near the NHL roster given the depth

David Struch
01-10-2021, 07:05 AM
Our own Deryk Engelland ain't no star either but he joined Calgary's system after his 4 junior years in Moose Jaw. After 2 seasons playing for the Las Vegas Wranglers/Lowell Lock Monsters, Engelland would spend another 7 years in the ECHL/AHL before becoming a regular in the NHL at age 29. Deryk would go on to play 8 seasons in the bigs!

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=45184

Jeff Lebowski
01-10-2021, 08:16 AM
Will Gio be able to maintain his level while playing so much PK? That's the area I think they need to look at to keep him fresh.

He's a warrior and an all time great for CGY but his TOI needs to be managed so he can maintain his level. They decided on reducing PP to second unit but PK is so taxing.

But who can do what he does or gives is a better way of putting it on PK: So smart, so physical, blocks shots, great stick on the back end.

This year, yes less games but compressed time - what's trade off with Gio? Who has Treliving given coaches to use to spell Gio's PK duties?

The guy goes full out every game every practice. Is he going to maintain that level deep in season or hopefully during deep playoffs? Has Gio been run down in past playoffs?

Andersson and Vali? Hanifin? Who can step up to play that hard on PK and give Gio real break not this PP2 from PP1 stuff.

Braden
01-10-2021, 08:22 AM
Will Gio be able to maintain his level while playing so much PK? That's the area I think they need to look at to keep him fresh.

He's a warrior and an all time great for CGY but his TOI needs to be managed so he can maintain his level. They decided on reducing PP to second unit but PK is so taxing.

But who can do what he does or gives is a better way of putting it on PK: So smart, so physical, blocks shots, great stick on the back end.

This year, yes less games but compressed time - what's trade off with Gio? Who has Treliving given coaches to use to spell Gio's PK duties?

The guy goes full out every game every practice. Is he going to maintain that level deep in season or hopefully during deep playoffs? Has Gio been run down in past playoffs?

Andersson and Vali? Hanifin? Who can step up to play that hard on PK and give Gio real break not this PP2 from PP1 stuff.

I believe that would be Tanev?

Edit while i guess he replaces what we lost in brodie and hamonic so, your point still stands

Enoch Root
01-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Having depth with the 3rd pair will help Gio a lot. With a compressed and intense schedule, you have to spread out the ice-time. And that's where the Flames' depth will be a huge advantage this year. Valimaki-Nestorov isn't a 12-14 minute 3rd pair, they should be able to take their share of minutes, which will help control Gio's workload.

I also think Kylington, Mackey, and possibly Stone will get rotated in at times too.

Jeff Lebowski
01-10-2021, 08:31 AM
I believe that would be Tanev?

Edit while i guess he replaces what we lost in brodie and hamonic so, your point still stands

Also who is going to give Gio what Brodie gave (the skating, the stick) Gio could be aggressive on his gaps because Brodie could cover ice. Andersson? I haven't watched Taney that closely but does he skate well?

Gio needs a mobile partner IMO. Brodie did a lot of great, subtle things for Gio.

Enoch Root
01-10-2021, 08:33 AM
Also who is going to give Gio what Brodie gave (the skating, the stick) Gio could be aggressive on his gaps because Brodie could cover ice. Andersson? I've watched Taney that closely but does he skate well?

Gio needs a mobile partner IMO. Brodie did a lot of great, subtle things for Gio.

I assume you meant haven't watched Tanev closely?

He is an excellent skater, yes.

Jeff Lebowski
01-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Having depth with the 3rd pair will help Gio a lot. With a compressed and intense schedule, you have to spread out the ice-time. And that's where the Flames' depth will be a huge advantage this year. Valimaki-Nestorov isn't a 12-14 minute 3rd pair, they should be able to take their share of minutes, which will help control Gio's workload.

I also think Kylington, Mackey, and possibly Stone will get rotated in at times too.

Yes Nesterov could be a good PK guy. Not sure if they're using him there - will look to see in scrimmage.

Also CGY needs to stay out of box. Will we see more penalties in league from fatigue? Haha I'm kind of getting in weeds but perhaps something to think about.

Rick M.
01-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Derek Grant seems to have made a decent career for himself.

Even Derek Smith played a decent amount of games.

It's a Derek thing.

Derek Flint did alright for himself too.

Enoch Root
01-10-2021, 08:49 AM
Yes Nesterov could be a good PK guy. Not sure if they're using him there - will look to see in scrimmage.

Also CGY needs to stay out of box. Will we see more penalties in league from fatigue? Haha I'm kind of getting in weeds but perhaps something to think about.

Every team is in the same situation. And again, depth is the key, so the Flames should be better off than most.

Bingo
01-10-2021, 10:36 AM

He needs to take a step for sure.

My biggest concern last year was how often he stood still with the puck looking for options rather than skate and see options open for him.

He's never going to be big.
He's never going to be a shut down presence.

His skating suggests his path to elite defenseman is through transition, but he seems to shut down when he gets the puck.

Rick M.
01-11-2021, 05:15 AM
I think K. is terrified that he will be out of the lineup if he makes a mistake. He needs to be paired with another D-man who is very good defensively and he might be more willing to skate more with the puck.