PDA

View Full Version : [GDT] Flames @ Oilers 1991, Game 6 on SN Pacific and West at 1900h.

hwy19man
03-28-2020, 05:55 PM
This big game is coming on right after the 2004 game!

drewtastic
03-28-2020, 07:02 PM
And now that Gelinas has scored (for the good guys), over to this thread!

looooob
03-28-2020, 07:10 PM
Friggin Craig simpson

browna
03-28-2020, 07:11 PM
Always loved the knowledge that there must have been an unlimited amount of rage Oilers fans must have had to have Peplinski doing color for this series.

looooob
03-28-2020, 07:14 PM
Roberts Nieuwendyk Stern
Ranheim Gilmour Fleury
Fenton Otto Matteau
Reichel Wilson Hunter

would have had a hard time remembering those bottom 2 lines

browna
03-28-2020, 07:20 PM
Macoun and Natress were liabilities back there by this point in their careers, certainly against skilled players.

They both got traded to Toronto in the Gilmour trade the next year.

looooob
03-28-2020, 07:22 PM
Ranheim! With Jim Kyte on the scene

ditty
03-28-2020, 07:24 PM
The goalies look so tiny.

browna
03-28-2020, 07:24 PM
Ranheim! With Jim Kyte on the scene

Kyte also falls into the “past it” column too.
Messier tried knee on knee on Nieuwendyk, blatantly.

That and elbows were all Messier could do defensively.

ditty
03-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Not too many penalties called, eh?

looooob
03-28-2020, 07:27 PM
Macoun and Natress were liabilities back there by this point in their careers, certainly against skilled players.

They both got traded to Toronto in the Gilmour trade the next year.
its stunning to think that this group, after losing this series, falls back by 26 points the next season, misses the playoffs and makes that clusterfrack of a trade...somehow they recover to get back to near 100 points for a few years after that

but that 91-92 season was a debacle

drewtastic
03-28-2020, 07:29 PM
Loved Carey Wilson when I was a kid. (Both stints!)

ben voyonsdonc
03-28-2020, 07:41 PM
Not having a game clock on the screen feels weird.

ben voyonsdonc
03-28-2020, 07:42 PM
And MacT looks like a total dumbass without a helmet.

JBR
03-28-2020, 07:47 PM
Went home for a nap after watching this game at a friend’s place, then headed down to Olympic Plaza, where they had a Ticketmaster outlet. Camped out until the next morning in order to purchase game 7 tickets in the bleeders. We were first in line... next group arrived a few hours later.

About an hour before TM opened, they let us in the building to form the line there. Shortly after, 3-4 rough looking guys showed up to join the line. One, who we later nicknamed “The missing link” started trying to break into some of the displays in the lobby. Classic Link. They ended up being cool guys, but we gave the Link his space. Got tickets.. then ended up being very disappointed a few nights later.

Good part is that game 7 was one of my first dates with my then girlfriend, now wife.

looooob
03-28-2020, 07:54 PM
At this point I had no idea that I’d be moving to Edmonton 5 months later...

browna
03-28-2020, 08:16 PM
Three stars, as overheard as players are walking the 1.5km back to the dressing room in that dump:
3. Vernon
2. Fleury
1. Fuhr

No surprise, some things never change. Like when they chose McDavid was 1st star in the Sedins last NHL game.

browna
03-28-2020, 08:24 PM
its stunning to think that this group, after losing this series, falls back by 26 points the next season, misses the playoffs and makes that clusterfrack of a trade...somehow they recover to get back to near 100 points for a few years after that

but that 91-92 season was a debacle

Well, after MacInnis and Suter, two of the top 4 defenseman in the league, Musil,was the #3 basically. Huge drop off.

Gilmour was a distraction the first 3 months of the next year, which really set them back, Risebrough was not the answer (those this game they showed Crisp watching, he must have stayed as an advisor?) as coach. Fleury was still running hot and cold...so maybe not a huge surprise thst all of those factors combined, then the massive trade, meant it was a reset year, and given how they got back into things in 94 and 95...

Besides the obvious Leeman and Gilmour principles, Flames didn’t do bad in shipping some of those guys out.

Tsawwassen
03-29-2020, 06:49 AM
Not too many penalties called, eh?The 1st period, only 2 minor penalties. The 2nd period had no calls. The 3rd period? Wow.

Tsawwassen
03-29-2020, 06:51 AM
LOL on Messier for the cross ice pass that Fleury intercepted and went on to score the GWG!

EastCoastFlamesFan
03-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Ugh. This series is always tough to revisit for me because I truly think this Flames team could have won the cup that season if they got past EDM. Regardless, this series was an absolute battle and as dirty as they get. There used to be a 'Classic Series' breakdown of this on YT but it looks like it has been removed.

This along with the 94 series against Vancouver and 95 against SJ are the toughest for me to revisit as those teams as well were built to go on runs.

JBR
03-29-2020, 12:14 PM
Something that never occurred to me until I rewatched the game yesterday. Where was Sergei Makarov? He didn’t play in game 6. Can’t remember if he played game 7.

HockeyDB says he played 3 games in that series. Was he injured? Could have been a difference maker.

pope04
03-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Messier tried knee on knee on Nieuwendyk, blatantly.

That and elbows were all Messier could do defensively.

I was at game 2 when he smoked Natress. Dirty, dirty player.

EastCoastFlamesFan
03-29-2020, 01:33 PM
Something that never occurred to me until I rewatched the game yesterday. Where was Sergei Makarov? He didn’t play in game 6. Can’t remember if he played game 7.

HockeyDB says he played 3 games in that series. Was he injured? Could have been a difference maker.

I was always under the impression that he was hurt. Don't quote me on that. I believe he also missed majority of the 93 series against LAK due to an injury.

Tsawwassen
03-31-2020, 07:02 AM
Ugh. This series is always tough to revisit for me because I truly think this Flames team could have won the cup that season if they got past EDM. Regardless, this series was an absolute battle and as dirty as they get. I could see the Flames beating the Kings in the 2nd round. The 3rd round against the North Stars would've been tough. The underdog Stars were amazing when they were on the power play. They were deadly with all the PPGs through out the playoffs that year. Being a kid back then, I thought they had magic on the PP. The Penguins were a team of destiny that year.