PDA

View Full Version : Who Was Screwed the Most Because of the Break/End

TheIronMaiden
03-18-2020, 03:57 PM
First off, it is probably good to point out that the biggest winner is the health and safety of the players. That said, some teams were burned worse then others, who got screwed the most?

I would argue that Colorado is the team that was the the most hard done by.

Capwise, the dark cloud are looming for the Avs, and this was an ideal window of opportunity.

-MacKinnon, is one a sweat heart deal, and any championship chance missed before his big pay day is a serious missed opportunity.
- Landeskog will be on his contract year next year, and will the next in line to get his big pay day.
-Burakovsky's career year will go to waste, and he will be a UFA
-Makar will only have one year left on his ELC
-Girard will be off his ELC

Performance wise, the Avs have been excellent. 3rd in the NHL. Scoring like Maniacs. Two good goalies. They were cup favorites in my opinion.

Anyways, that who I think the biggest loser is. Does anyone else have thoughts?

1qqaaz
03-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Ovechkin probably wants all the games (goals) he can get.

FlamesAddiction
03-18-2020, 04:03 PM
Teams that were huge buyers at the trade deadline, assuming the season is indeed toast.

It seems superficial to think about it during a pandemic, but all that aside, I am glad we didn't give up our 1st.

I do wonder if the NHL will set the reset button and throw those teams some kind of compensation picks.

I was also looking forward to the Kovie and Ovie show.

TheScorpion
03-18-2020, 04:06 PM
Flames were probably screwed out of a 3rd for Neal.

All the 1sts were dealt for guys with term I think so that's mostly fine

I dunno. I would have liked to see more of Kovalchuk with Ovi for sure.

You Need a Thneed
03-18-2020, 04:07 PM
According to David Staples up north, the break cost the Oilers the cup, apparently.

Blaster86
03-18-2020, 04:08 PM
Fans.

FlamesAddiction
03-18-2020, 04:09 PM
All the 1sts were dealt for guys with term I think so that's mostly fine

I didn't realize that, but it softens the blow for sure.

CroFlames
03-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Ovechkin probably wants all the games (goals) he can get.

Yeah I gotta go with Ovechkin on this one.

This would have been his 9th 50 goal season, tying the all time record.

No one else is nearing any all time records.

TheScorpion
03-18-2020, 04:15 PM
I didn't realize that, but it softens the blow for sure.

Skjei for a 1st -- skjei is a pending RFA

Goodrow and a 3rd for a 1st -- goodrow has one year left after this one

Pageau for a 1st plus -- NYI extended Pageau long-term

The teams who I think were screwed the most are the Canucks (toffoli) and Knights (Lehner) both of whom acquired pending UFAs for seconds plus

TheIronMaiden
03-18-2020, 04:20 PM
Al things considered a pretty fitting ending to what has been a strange year for the Flames though. As much as I miss hockey, I don't really feel like the Flames missed anything important.

Textcritic
03-18-2020, 04:23 PM
According to David Staples up north, the break cost the Oilers the cup, apparently.
I would agree that the Oilers are probably most affected by this, but not because they had a faint hope of even getting close to another Stanley Cup. Rather, because this was an unequivocally successful season from which they benefitted for having a new coach bounce, record-setting special teams and averages in production from their top players, a 20 goal(!) season from James Neal and good goaltending. The Oilers are not a playoff team, and they were tracking to play in the playoffs for only the second time in more than a decade.

This will not happen again. Not next year; not ever.

Edmonton is no good.

djsFlames
03-18-2020, 04:23 PM
I dislike anything that hurts Ovy's bid for 895.

Atlantica
03-18-2020, 04:29 PM
There are a number of losers (Edmonton is always a loser so I don't count them).

Just to throw a different team into the mix how about the Bruins? They were really firing on all cylinders and would have been a top Eastern contender imo. They are getting older though - and some of their key players will eventually come down to earth. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Flash Walken
03-18-2020, 04:31 PM
Pending Free agents who were looking to cash in on big time deals.

HRR going to drop like a stone, big time escrow, low cap flexibility for free agents.

BloodFetish
03-18-2020, 04:37 PM
It's still the '96 Expos.

Bourque's Twin
03-18-2020, 04:37 PM
Ovechkin for sure is who came to mind first.

It's also tough for the older guys like Chara, Marleau, Williams, and Kovalchuk who have chance to go on possibly one last playoff run.

The Flyers were getting red hot and would've been exciting to watch.

Luckily for Flames fans, I don't think we were in store for a deep run this year.

Redrum
03-18-2020, 04:54 PM
Sure they are unlikely to even win a game in the playoffs. But they might have at least made it to the playoffs just hanging on by their dirt filled fingernails. With those extreme outlier stats unlikely to happen again, that ridiculously bad roster with nothing in the cupboard, and their terrible contracts; they could soon be approaching 2 decades with one appearance. That would be just... hilarious.

TheIronMaiden
03-18-2020, 04:57 PM
nm

nik-
03-18-2020, 05:11 PM
I would play my violin for the Avs, but it is so incredibly minuscule that I can no longer find it.

Jiri Hrdina
03-18-2020, 05:12 PM
Da Oilerz because of dat PP. Derp.

djsFlames
03-18-2020, 05:16 PM
Da Oilerz because of dat PP. Derp.

Derp derp!

edslunch
03-18-2020, 08:26 PM
I thought this was a breakup thread

Hanna Sniper
03-18-2020, 08:58 PM
Tampa Bay, the team will be two years older before they have a chance to redeem the way they ended the 2018-19 season.

The gap closes quickly

Scroopy Noopers
03-18-2020, 09:34 PM
Stamkos has the worst luck.

Moneyhands23
03-18-2020, 09:42 PM
The grim reaper...as we will all live longer not eating pocket dogs and heroine beers.

JBR
03-18-2020, 09:48 PM

Tough to choose a team that finished 8 games behind the Braves, who then went on to lose the a World Series to the Yankees... but OK.

:whistle:

doozwimp
03-19-2020, 12:50 AM
Humans in general.

Fuzz
03-19-2020, 07:39 AM
Me. I had a bet with a dirty no-good Oilers fan that the Flames would finish higher. We make this bet every year, and almost every year he has to buy me lunch. Without the March collapse, it looks like I get screwed. But I'm thinking this might qualify as a mulligan. Thoughts?

Roof-Daddy
03-19-2020, 07:50 AM
No way you lost that bet, the season wasn't completed.

Split98
03-19-2020, 08:01 AM
^ Lol, I doubt there's a single Oiler fan in existence that is willing to recognize 2019-20 as a mulligan

2nd best season in decades, snapshot of the finished NHL season has them #2 in the division, plus Stanley Cup favourites*

He'll want that lunch more than any lunch he's had before. "Ahead of you all year" you'll hear. Don't worry though, that virus-lunch will be a rare one

*Stanley Cup favourites according to morons who hate hockey

GioforPM
03-19-2020, 08:28 AM
Me. I had a bet with a dirty no-good Oilers fan that the Flames would finish higher. We make this bet every year, and almost every year he has to buy me lunch. Without the March collapse, it looks like I get screwed. But I'm thinking this might qualify as a mulligan. Thoughts?

No way you lost that bet, the season wasn't completed.

At the risk of being pedantic, it depends on the wording - if you said “finished” like in your post, you could argue that no one finished. I’d say any reasonable person would call off that bet.

GioforPM
03-19-2020, 08:29 AM
A bunch of buddies of mine have a similar lunch bet but based on quarters of the season and it involves four teams. I will ask what they are doing.

Saqe
03-19-2020, 08:36 AM
Tampa Bay, the team will be two years older before they have a chance to redeem the way they ended the 2018-19 season.

The gap closes quickly

Yeah Tampa has to be it. Went all in with picks and Vasilevsky's big deal kicks in next year. They're going to have to move 1-2 good pieces (Killorn & Johnson probably) again plus if the cap goes down, maybe even more. Their window is closing quick.

Fuzz
03-19-2020, 08:38 AM
I believe it has always been "at the end of the season, whichever team has more points wins. If both teams make the playoffs, whichever team goes farther, or wins the most games if they both lose in the same round. If it ties there, team with the most regular season points wins(and the tiebreaker is handled by NHL pre-playoff ranking)"

It was about 10 years ago and we just kinda roughly made it up over coffee. Since then, it's just been "Bet still on? Good." So I guess the details may have been forgotten. now we'll need another qualifier for COVID seasons...

John Doe
03-19-2020, 08:40 AM

94 Expos. And thanks for the reminder...

Roof-Daddy
03-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Yeah I agree Tampa is up there. Especially since they lost Stevie Y and the new guy traded 1st round picks from a deep draft for Barclay fricken Goodrow and Blake effin Coleman.

Sounds like a guy who is going to run Tamp into the ground in no time.

BloodFetish
03-19-2020, 08:55 AM
Tough to choose a team that finished 8 games behind the Braves, who then went on to lose the a World Series to the Yankees... but OK.

:whistle:

https://i.imgflip.com/3t7tj1.jpg

Oling_Roachinen
03-19-2020, 11:15 AM
Flames could get screwed out of a third in the James Neal trade. Needed 21 goals, has 19.

Islanders might be least screwed. Traded a 1st for Pageau and immediately went on the decline and were trending out of the playoffs. Depending what the playoff format is (if there is one at all), they may end up benefiting.

GullFoss
03-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Biggest loser is melnyk or city of Ottawa. Biggest winners is either Ottawa or the team the Senators move to.

What happens if the 2020-21 season is delayed? Do the players get paid? Is so I imagine the NHL locks them out?

Table 5
03-19-2020, 12:20 PM

Tell him you'll buy him lunch, but he has to collect it at the International terminal foodcourt at YYC.

mikeecho
03-19-2020, 12:53 PM
Flames could get screwed out of a third in the James Neal trade. Needed 21 goals, has 19.

I’m not convinced he would have scored another goal if they played the full 82 game schedule.

Textcritic
03-19-2020, 01:16 PM
I’m not convinced he would have scored another goal if they played the full 82 game schedule.
Neither am I. Neither is any semi-cognisent Oilers fan, I assume. David Staples is probably still projecting Neal to score 25.