PDA

View Full Version : Calgary flames won’t pay their hourly staff during Covid-19

Pages : [1] 2

FlameyMcFlameFace
03-14-2020, 02:14 PM
Weird move by the flames organization not paying certain members of their staff during this outbreak. I hope those employees find a way through the struggle, and I pray this is over soon.

I noticed that Edmonton is paying their staff, doesn’t look great on us when our crazy northern neighbours are doing what they can for their employees.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2020/3/14/1_4853294.html

ToraToraTora
03-14-2020, 02:19 PM
I emailed my rep telling them to pay their damn hourly employees.

I'd be surprised if they didn't now because of the terrible pr they're getting. They look awful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

btimbit
03-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Yeah not a good look when other teams have stepped up

Hopefully they at least lay them off properly in the meantime so they can claim EI.
edit: Not that that'll help much at all being mostly part time I guess

cofias
03-14-2020, 02:22 PM
Pretty low move, hope people put enough pressure on them to reverse this awful decision.

Manhattanboy
I will be contacting my account rep. Either they reverse the policy or I will not be renewing next year.

GreenLantern2814
Get it the #### together, Murray, or I'm never giving you another dime.

White Out 403
03-14-2020, 02:23 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Ob7p7lDT99cd2/giphy.gif

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 02:24 PM
I'm not a STH but I'd like to voice my displeasure to the Flames on this one. Anyone have the proper email address to contact?

Cecil Terwilliger
03-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Murray Edwards is the Chairman at CNLR is he not? Tweet them, flames, flames PR, NHL. Email the team. Tweet and email the Fan and the media. Make them talk about. It’s already trending.

That’s all it takes, really. Pressure and time. They’ll cave.

bob-loblaw
03-14-2020, 02:28 PM
I'd rather see the owners pay them instead of the players. Kind of curious though, does anyone know howuch this would be per game?

White Out 403
03-14-2020, 02:28 PM
i really like the reaction on CP a lot more than what I'm reading on HF on this. It's shameful that anyone thinks the hourly staff shouldn't get helped out by the rich owners/players .

Cecil Terwilliger
03-14-2020, 02:30 PM
Aren’t like half the people volunteers there as punishment for their kids playing hockey anyways? I can’t imagine the staff is that huge.

OldMcDonaldHasACup
03-14-2020, 02:30 PM
With the amount of backlash from this, I'd be surprised if they didn't cave.

Scroopy Noopers
03-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Aren’t like half the people volunteers there as punishment for their kids playing hockey anyways? I can’t imagine the staff is that huge.

No kidding. With 4-5 hour shifts, a handful of times a week. Should be easily covered. And I’m sure these corporations will have a route to recoup losses from this.

Canada 02
03-14-2020, 02:35 PM
This is where the Flames Foundation should step up (similar to the Penguins and Mario Lemieux Foundations). They have money earmarked to the community anyhow. It would not cost CSEC a penny.

Canada 02
03-14-2020, 02:39 PM
I’d like to give the Flames the benefit of the doubt. With Ken Kings passing, lets say there is a temporary shift in focus. I expect them to do the right thing

Cowboy89
I wrote them and told them that I will not be renewing my game pack for next season if this is how they treat the arena staff. I would rather the revenue go to the arena staff than to the hockey club. If that’s the choice they make, this is the choice I’m making.

The Familia
Sometimes this organization is just as “No Good” as Edmonton. If they don’t pay, I hope when the NHL starts back up non of these part time employees go back and they have no one to run the food/merch stands

Strange Brew
03-14-2020, 02:40 PM
They tried to slide this through hoping no one would notice. When they reverse course, and they will, it will be a very public proclamation.

Just remember, the measure of a person’s character is what they would do if they knew no one would find out.

Underdog
03-14-2020, 02:40 PM
It's really hard to be a fan of this team sometimes.

Jimmy Stang
03-14-2020, 02:42 PM
What a tone deaf organization. While I have no choice to support them financially through my tax dollars for the next few years, my voluntary support stops now.

Call me when you get your heads out of your asses and maybe I'll listen.

I'm just a game pack holder, but that's still a cool grand that I'll be able to put to use elsewhere.

FusionX
03-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Such a terrible and selfish decision all around. It's bad enough they won't be supporting these employees but by doing so, it forces some to potentially take up jobs elsewhere. At a time when the best thing to do is social distancing, this forces those people to risk themselves, their families and the population as a whole because they can't afford not to. Hopefully they wisen up and do the right thing.

Jimmy Stang
03-14-2020, 02:56 PM
Just emailed my rep as well:

Hello XXXX,

Totally not your fault personally, and we are all dealing with a lot, but please let the organization know that I'm out for playoff tickets (if it ever happens) and any future game pack or single ticket expenditures IF they don't change their stance on this. And even if they do, I have a bad taste.

It is extremely tone deaf and ignorant during such a crisis to treat hourly workers like this. It is also extremely poor PR after receiving a substantial contribution from taxpayers and talking about "community" and all of that nonsense.

They'll no doubt backtrack but this has caused considerable damage to my relationship with the organization. I might reconsider if they somehow find a way to realize how bad this looks and change - quickly.

Again - not your fault personally, and I appreciate that you've had a difficult job lately as well. Please take care of yourself and your family as this world gets a bit weird - just tell your bosses to smarten up a bit, please. It is a bad look and has real world implications for a lot of people.

James

btimbit
03-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Very well put Jimmy

cam_wmh
03-14-2020, 02:59 PM
We should set an over/under to when they cave.
I got $20 on the under, at 1:30pm MST, Monday.

Dube
03-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Will I be paid for scheduled shifts that are canceled?

Alberta Employment Standards requires that employers provide 24 hours’ notice for cancellation of scheduled shifts. CSEC will pay employees where the notification of cancellation was less than 24 hours. No payment will be made for shifts cancelled with greater than 24 hours’ notice.

No strategies or support, just a straight up lawyer response to their staff. These are the rules. Best of luck.

btimbit
03-14-2020, 03:00 PM
I just hope the organization steps up before one of the players does

The Cobra
03-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Will I be paid for scheduled shifts that are canceled?

Alberta Employment Standards requires that employers provide 24 hours’ notice for cancellation of scheduled shifts. CSEC will pay employees where the notification of cancellation was less than 24 hours. No payment will be made for shifts cancelled with greater than 24 hours’ notice.

No strategies or support, just a straight up lawyer response to their staff. These are the rules. Best of luck.

The staff who were scheduled to work Thursday got paid, but that was it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cowboy89
03-14-2020, 03:05 PM
That was put really well Jimmy! I unfortunately did not have as much tact. I told them that if that’s how it is that I hoped the city finds a way out of their arena deal and they move to Houston and that they don’t deserve Calgarians as fans. I guess I forgot about the poor employee who has to read the e-mail who probably has to worry about their own job situation given that they know how the organization thinks.

cam_wmh
03-14-2020, 03:08 PM

Were there events scheduled at the dome Friday night? Hitmen/Roughnecks/Concert?

That would be within the 24 hour rule?

Dube
03-14-2020, 03:08 PM

I’m aware pal. Isn’t that what this thread is about?

Nadal Fan
03-14-2020, 03:12 PM
All the teams who as of right now aren't paying the arena staff......:mad:

Arizona Coyotes – Alex Meruelo
Boston Bruins – Jeremy Jacobs
Calgary Flames – N. Murray Edwards
Carolina Hurricanes – Tom Dundon
Colorado Avalanche – Ann Walton Kroenke
Columbus Blue Jackets – John P. McConnell
Minnesota Wild – Craig Leipold
Montreal Canadiens – Geoff Molson
New York Rangers – James L. Dolan
Ottawa Senators – Eugene Melnyk
St. Louis Blues – Tom Stillman
Vancouver Canucks – Francesco Aquilini
Vegas Golden Knights – Bill Foley
Winnipeg Jets – Mark Chipman and David Thomson

btimbit
03-14-2020, 03:12 PM
Were there events scheduled at the dome Friday night? Hitmen/Roughnecks/Concert?

Roughnecks game I believe

edit: yeah just checked. Was supposed to be a busy weekend. Thursday to sunday was Flames, Roughnecks, Flames, Hitmen. Lots of lost hours

The Cobra
03-14-2020, 03:16 PM

They were told Thursday morning any Friday shift was cancelled. So they were given at least 24 hours notice. There was a roughnecks games scheduled.

Mr.Coffee
03-14-2020, 03:18 PM

I think you can take the Canucks off the list... kinda... maybe with an asterisk. Francesco Aquilini just said on Twitter that they’ll pay workers ‘based on need’ (paraphrasing). Oh sweet! Thanks Francesco so if I message you and indicate I’m poor enough then you’ll pay me? Thanks Mr.Billionaire!

Also, to the Flames, nice work boys. I’m sure the $250k or whatever it is was worth it!

Cowboy89

Yeah, being on the same side of an issue as Eugene Melnyk is your first sign this might not be a good decision!

dammage79
Not impressed with the few remaining NHL teams not paying their arena staff during this. I'm really not happy with the Flames. After all their constant yammering about charity work and community is really sounding hollow after today's announcement.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
Hopefully the Flames figure this out and do the right thing. Needed to manage this better. I do wonder about the dynamic of an hourly employee. In the event they pay them in now and all the games get rescheduled (unlikely) do those workers then come to work the game as services paid? Regardless, the Flames needed a much better plan than this.....

The only part of that article that bothers me is the reaction from some city council members positioning the cities funds for the event center as a “donation”. Such political games, the city is using public funds for infrastructure the city also wanted. It’s completely debatable if they should want said piece of infrastructure, but the posturing that they are donating the Flames money is frustrating. If they didn’t want it and didn’t see the benefit for the city, they’d have simply told the Flames to fly a kite.

Roof-Daddy
03-14-2020, 03:19 PM
It's really hard to be a fan of this team sometimes.

Sometimes?

Barnet Flame
03-14-2020, 03:21 PM
I’m incredibly disappointed in this organisation. This is an ridiculously low blow against people that don’t have much.

I go to games whenever I’m in Calgary and intended to catch some games if they made the playoffs in April.

I buy lots of merchandise as well.

Unless this move is reconsidered, I’m done giving this organisation money.

Edit: just realised I typed this whilst wearing a Flames T-shirt and drinking from my Flames mug, both of which I purchased during my visit last April.

united
03-14-2020, 03:21 PM
Will be emailing my account rep (who is not at fault here it's important to note) shortly as well. Really disappointed with the Flames in this even if I'm not surprised.

The Big Chill
03-14-2020, 03:22 PM
I'm sure it will be a tricky situations for many businesses in the city that have greatly reduced revenues over the coming weeks. Obviously you hope the rich ones provide support where they can, but a lot of businesses won't have extra money to spare.

1_Flames_Fan
03-14-2020, 03:22 PM
Even with EI it maxes out at 567$ a week. After taxes that isn't even enough to live on and feed a family. Completely embarrassing by team owners. At least top up their EI so they can make as much as they were supposed to before the Pandemic.

redmile04
03-14-2020, 03:23 PM
* W. Brett Wilson *
@WBrettWilson
·
2h
Your facts struggle.

Flames don’t own the arena. The city does. Flames donated 1/2 the cost. So you start out failing.

One minority owner (hardly “the” owner) didn’t move for tax reasons. And isn’t living in the UK.

If you claim to be a reporter - try to factcheck someday.
Quote Tweet

Patrick Johnston
@risingaction
· 4h
Reminder that not only did the Flames get a whack of public cash for their arena, their billionaire owner moved to UK to cut his tax bill

#-3
03-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Doesn't change that it would be nice to see them support their part time employees going into a time when many are going to be missing out on income.

But my guess about them continuing to pay players.

1) the players will still be obliged to play for the pay they have already received if scheduled. While if you pay the part time staff for tonight without working, you are probably paying them all over again, in the event of a rescheduled game.
2) If this event hits hockey revenue, they will claw back the excess payments in escrow anyways.

#-3
03-14-2020, 03:26 PM
Even with EI it maxes out at 567$ a week. After taxes that isn't even enough to live on and feed a family. Completely embarrassing by team owners. At least top up their EI so they can make as much as they were supposed to before the Pandemic.

EI is tough here, for the majority of these people it is a second job, not an EI situation.

Bunk
03-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Getting owned by Edmonton in a battle of Alberta that actually matters.

No Good.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
03-14-2020, 03:28 PM
I'm sure it will be a tricky situations for many businesses in the city that have greatly reduced revenues over the coming weeks. Obviously you hope the rich ones provide support where they can, but a lot of businesses won't have extra money to spare.
Agreed, it’s going to be tough for a lot of businesses. And while I think they should pay their employees in this situation, the Flames are one of those businesses as well. They spend a lot of money, but it’s been discussed a lot that without a playoffs, the Flames themselves don’t turn much of a profit.

I hope paying customers fired up about this (and rightfully so), if they are also the customers fired up by price increases, they connect the dots on where paying this extra expense is going to have to come from........ And I wonder how many of them would be willing to pay for their tickets even if the games are never replayed to ensure the staff gets paid?

Matt Reeeeead
03-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Also, to the Flames, nice work boys. I’m sure the $250k or whatever it is was worth it!

I will just say here that it is (A LOT) more than that. I get arguments on both sides but I would say from the assumptions I’ve see in the thread the dollar amounts being estimated just aren’t close to true.

Not sure that really changes the opinion on this from the average joe, but in the effort of understanding both sides it would help to understand that it’s not an immaterial sum... the basketball players and Bobrovsky deals are very generous commitments from the players but ultimately is a very small fraction of the dollars we are talking about here.

I have a feeling that the decision here could be different if the games dont get made up... but if they do and then the flames play in the playoffs then everyone will get their shifts and then some...

As a flames employee the internal culture has really improved quite dramatically over the last 5 years and John Bean is a very generous and charitable man. I do think this decision is more complex than it’s made out to be and that they will come out with something after they have had time to do their due diligence and think whatever they come back with won’t be because of public relations.

FaFaFlamey
03-14-2020, 03:30 PM
* W. Brett Wilson *
@WBrettWilson
·
2h
Your facts struggle.

Flames don’t own the arena. The city does. Flames donated 1/2 the cost. So you start out failing.

One minority owner (hardly “the” owner) didn’t move for tax reasons. And isn’t living in the UK.

Quote Tweet

Patrick Johnston
@risingaction
· 4h
Reminder that not only did the Flames get a whack of public cash for their arena, their billionaire owner moved to UK to cut his tax bill

Consider the source. No surprise one billionaire backing up other billionaires. 2 words: orphan wells.

The Flames are taking a full on public relations beating on Twitter. This is not good! Oiler fans are having a ball.

1_Flames_Fan
03-14-2020, 03:31 PM
EI is tough here, for the majority of these people it is a second job, not an EI situation.Yeah I didn't even think of that. Very good point.

Zarley
03-14-2020, 03:40 PM
Yikes, this is a really bad look.

#-3
03-14-2020, 03:44 PM
I will just say here that it is (A LOT) more than that. I get arguments on both sides but I would say from the assumptions I’ve see in the thread the dollar amounts being estimated just aren’t close to true.

Not sure that really changes the opinion on this from the average joe, but in the effort of understanding both sides it would help to understand that it’s not an immaterial sum... the basketball players and Bobrovsky deals are very generous commitments from the players but ultimately is a very small fraction of the dollars we are talking about here.

I have a feeling that the decision here could be different if the games dont get made up... but if they do and then the flames play in the playoffs then everyone will get their shifts and then some...

As a flames employee the internal culture has really improved quite dramatically over the last 5 years and John Bean is a very generous and charitable man. I do think this decision is more complex than it’s made out to be and that they will come out with something after they have had time to do their due diligence and think whatever they come back with won’t be because of public relations.

I think I heard ~1200 event employees ,
guessing they are ~$15/h mostly,
~4.5 hours/shift from my experience as a young man.
no benefits, so additional cost of employment is probably under 20%

1200 x 15 x 4.5 x 1.2 = $97,200.
We are probably talking close to $100,000 per game.
There are 7 postponed games they are no paying for
+ limited staff for a few Roughnecks and Hitmen games.

To pay out the regular seasons I think it is very close to $1M.

Brick
03-14-2020, 03:44 PM
https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-won-t-pay-event-staff-during-covid-19-suspension-edmonton-oilers-offer-assistance-1.1457367

Flash Walken
03-14-2020, 03:46 PM
Yeah, upon further reflection, that's it for me.

World wide pandemic, billionaires with all the means in the world to do the right thing without prompting, #### about to hit the fan provincially.

They decide to screw over their lowest paid and most dependent employees to save less money than what they spend on sticks for a season.

It's more than tone deaf.

Oil Stain
03-14-2020, 03:48 PM

World wide pandemic, billionaires with all the means in the world to do the right thing without prompting, #### about to hit the fan provincially.

They decide to screw over their lowest paid and most dependent employees to save less money than what they spend on sticks for a season.

Don't worry. It'll trickle down or something. :bag:

united
03-14-2020, 03:51 PM
Craig Custance had an article in The Athletic today on impacts, using confidential industry sources.

Obviously huge variance involved in any numbers organization-to-organization, but here's what he wrote:

NHL financial impact: How much money does a team bring in each home game?
https://theathletic.com/1672688/2020/03/13/nhl-financial-impact-how-much-money-does-a-team-bring-in-each-home-game/

There’s the electrical bill, property taxes (in some cases) and interest and amortization if the building is financed; plus putting on an NHL game requires somewhere close to 1,000 ushers, ticket-takers, security guards, maintenance people, concession workers and production employees for the in-game presentation. The bulk of those folks are hourly workers, only a small subset are team employees. In any case, it can cost a team anywhere from $100,000 to $200,000 per game for all of them to be there.

Flash Walken
03-14-2020, 03:53 PM
Craig Custance had an article in The Athletic today on impacts, using confidential industry sources.

Obviously huge variance involved in any numbers organization-to-organization, but here's what he wrote:

NHL financial impact: How much money does a team bring in each home game?
https://theathletic.com/1672688/2020/03/13/nhl-financial-impact-how-much-money-does-a-team-bring-in-each-home-game/

There’s the electrical bill, property taxes (in some cases) and interest and amortization if the building is financed; plus putting on an NHL game requires somewhere close to 1,000 ushers, ticket-takers, security guards, maintenance people, concession workers and production employees for the in-game presentation. The bulk of those folks are hourly workers, only a small subset are team employees. In any case, it can cost a team anywhere from $100,000 to $200,000 per game for all of them to be there.
Less than what they are paying brouwer this year.

Looch City
03-14-2020, 03:56 PM
* W. Brett Wilson *
@WBrettWilson
·
2h
Your facts struggle.

Quote Tweet

Patrick Johnston
@risingaction
· 4h

LOL Flames donated half. Get a load of this guy hahah #### off

Mr.Coffee
03-14-2020, 03:59 PM

What would your estimation of the costs of 1 month pay for CSEC staff is? Understanding it’s more than just the Flames, and much of the payroll is probably over minimum wage too. Maybe $2MM? Not sure.

Anyway, I get that losing money sucks, but the consequences of being unable to pay your mortgage is suckier.

Roughneck
03-14-2020, 04:01 PM

This is after they threatened to until they received hundreds of millions in taxpayer money for a new arena to charge fans more with.

Scroopy Noopers
03-14-2020, 04:03 PM
Radio news break in Ontario. Only team they called out is the flames.

Aarongavey
03-14-2020, 04:07 PM
This is really a cherry on the icing on the cake of what it means to be embarrassed to be a Flames fan. The on ice failings are sort of baked in, but screwing over minimum wage employees is really just over the top for this franchise.

MoneyGuy
03-14-2020, 04:07 PM
We should set an over/under to when they cave.
I got $20 on the under, at 1:30pm MST, Monday.

No way they last that long. I say it happens within 24 hours.

dissentowner
03-14-2020, 04:18 PM
No way the last that long. I say it happens within 24 hours.

Agreed. The huge backlash through the internet alone has got to be concerning for them. They stand to lose way more money not paying their employees if fans desert the ship.

Flames Draft Watcher
03-14-2020, 04:24 PM
Greedy selfish rich people will be greedy and selfish. Not a shocker.

Hopefully this crisis leads to some worldwide change in a positive way. Our political and economic systems are severely flawed.

Nsd1
03-14-2020, 04:26 PM
Fitting tweet

Jimmy Stang
03-14-2020, 04:37 PM

I'm not buying that. They could've said "we're working on something to help in the mean time - stay tuned" in the email and people would've believed them and given them time. When they backtrack on this, it will be 100% because people found out made a stink, and it threatened their reputation and the bottom line.

Saint Troy
03-14-2020, 04:48 PM
No way they last that long. I say it happens within 24 hours.

Likely, but this a permanent stain on the organization, disgraceful.

nik-
03-14-2020, 04:50 PM
I'm not buying that. They could've said "we're working on something to help in the mean time - stay tuned" in the email and people would've believed them and given them time. When they backtrack on this, it will be 100% because people found out made a stink, and it threatened their reputation and the bottom line.

They need to do the due diligence of seeing the reaction to this. Then they'll be able to make a decision that doesn't drag their asses all over the community they just finished pimping.

Maritime Q-Scout
03-14-2020, 04:51 PM
What would part time employees be making on EI?

What would the difference be?

Is that really a sizable amount?

The Oilers et al aren't paying full wages, just the difference. Which I think is reasonable.

Do I know what those dollar figures are?

No.

Can I think of a reason why Edmonton and Toronto can do this but not Calgary?

Also, no.

After listening to all the great things people have been saying about Ken King over the last few days, did none of it resonate with the Flames "leadership"?

I've been very proud of a lot of things the Flames have done over the years. Modeled some of my own leadership philosophies after things done by the organization.

Frankly, the cost might be worth it from a PR perspective. It'll pay for what you'd lose, plus you could gain some sales by being a community leader in a time of strife.

I was thinking this afternoon of a time I criticized the Flames on this board. I'm sure I've done it. If I think you're wrong, I'll tell you (with reasoning, and assumptions outlined), and if I'm wrong I'll admit it.

Then I read this.

I'm not mad at the Flames for this decision, I'm just disappointed.

Edit: I should also note, the local junior team isn't paying staff. My father is directly affected by the suspension of CHL hockey. Now, he works part-time because he's retired and it's an excuse to get out of the house, he doesn't need the money. All that said, I would be shocked if our arse backwards junior team paid employees through this troubling time. I'm surprised the Flames are not.

iamca
03-14-2020, 04:51 PM
Pay your hourly employees for the sake of humankind.

ComixZone
03-14-2020, 04:53 PM
I've also contacted my season ticket rep with my dissatisfaction regarding how they are handling this.

Seems bonkers to me that they're taking this stance when so many other teams are stepping up.

agulati
03-14-2020, 04:58 PM
I have contacted my ticket rep too. This is not acceptable. Completely horse#### move by the management.

Patek23
03-14-2020, 05:01 PM
Consider the source. No surprise one billionaire backing up other billionaires. 2 words: orphan wells.

The Flames are taking a full on public relations beating on Twitter. This is not good! Oiler fans are having a ball.

The funny thing is that the team DIDNT want to own the arena as it is a depreciating asset. The city would of much rather the Flames organization had to own the building and pay property taxes etc.

theJuice
03-14-2020, 05:02 PM
As a diehard lifelong flames fan, this team is incredible at constantly embarrassing me and making me feel disappointed to cheer and support them. Just a terrible look.

flamesrule_kipper34
03-14-2020, 05:07 PM
As a STHer I'm embarrassed as well and just sent the following to my Account Rep

Hi xx,

Hope you're doing well and you and your family are staying safe and healthy in these turbulent times.

Initially, I was preparing an e-mail (both to acknowledge your previous update, which I appreciate the clarity on renewals for next year and also to inquire about plans for the reminder of the season and ticket cost/reimbursement should cancellations occur). But what I think is most important at this stage is conveying my incredible disappointment at the news I've heard today regarding The Flames ownership choosing NOT to continue paying or supporting the PT/hourly arena staff and extended impacted workforce.

This of course is not meant for you at all (especially since you're on the front line and do Yeoman's work), but I hope you can forward this off to upper management.What a stark contrast in seeing how other Sports' leagues, in addition to the NBA, but even within our own league including The Edmonton Oilers and seeing how they'll continue to support these heavily impacted workers. This news is embarrassing and frankly I feel embarrassed by association.

My hope in voicing this extreme displeasure is that The Flames will course correct, for transparency sake if what I've read today is true then a bitter taste will forever be left in my mouth, but at least I will some some faith restored. However, if they don't then I believe my decision to place my financial support towards The Flames (season tickets, merchandising and etc.) going forward becomes an easy one and I'll have to place that elsewhere where both my values and interests are aligned.

Lastly, I have shared this message across my STH community and from what I'm hearing this is a consistent message that will be shared across the board with The Flames (if not already).

xx, thank-you for taking the time to read this e-mail and trust you and your family continue to be safe.

Much appreciated.

dino7c
03-14-2020, 05:10 PM
Likely, but this a permanent stain on the organization, disgraceful.

Didn't most teams take the same stance initially?

White Out 403
03-14-2020, 05:11 PM
I find that I am disgusted in a way that feels similar to when the league was locked out. I hated the players for being so greedy. The owners were trying to control costs, and I stupidly equated the salaries with the unaffordability of the NHL for Canada. Well, the salary cap was actually useful in getting the Jets back and as it turns out the hold out by the owners was useful. It made the climate exist so that the Jets could come back. But it still left a bad taste in my mouth with the players who fought so greedily for uncontrolled spending.

After the Flames hosed the City of Calgary , and the Oilers Edmonton, I started to really hate ownership too. I’m neither a Flames fan nor an Oilers fan but a tax payer in Alberta. It’s really gross watching billionaires hold fans hostage. Kaatz is a piece of human garbage, and the Flames have turned into a tone deaf Dr Evil organization. What really hurts is TNSE and how they treat Jets’ season ticket holder. I’ve gone to a dozen rinks in the NHL, and the Winnipeg fans get the worst in game production and experience in the NHL bar none. ####ing New Jerseys does it better. With the latest greedy move of not paying arena staff during this pandemic I find myself really digging deep and questioning everything. I love the Jets, I love Winnipeg. Not sarcastically or ironically; Winnipeg is a great city. The people are incredible and the city has so much going for it. #### all the people with negative things to say about it that have never been, or only been in December. I still heavily associate myself and my identity as a Winnipegger through the sports teams, the Bombers and Jets. I don’t know if that will ever change, but at work eating my dinner just now I looked at my car key chain with a Jets spinner on it and considered taking it off.

I don’t ever want to lose my team again, and I really don’t think a lot of the folks here want the Flames to actually move to Houston, but disappointment I feel with my team and I imagine how you feel about your team is just soul sucking. How can some of the wealthiest people in our society be so ####ing callous and tone deaf and miss an opportunity be community leaders.

Beninho
03-14-2020, 05:16 PM
Big oof by the Flames, pay your employees. They have families and bills to pay. Anyone with a shred of social awareness could’ve predicted the backlash teams will get if they don’t. Bad all around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint Troy
03-14-2020, 05:20 PM
Didn't most teams take the same stance initially?

I’m sure that will be their talking point, when they try and walk this back.

dino7c
03-14-2020, 05:26 PM
I’m sure that will be their talking point, when they try and walk this back.

But it's true, no? I am actually asking

Jaybo
03-14-2020, 05:36 PM

At the risk of sounding like Bernie Sanders (and maybe having some reading this tune out automatically), *this* list is why society shouldn't have billionaires.

There is something legitimately wrong with people who hoard enough wealth than a person could spend in 1000 lifetimes, let alone a single lifetime. It's sociopathic.

David Thomson from the Jets is Canada's richest person with a net worth of $34 billion.

Someone on Twitter pointed out if he paid all TNSE employees *$50,000* for the balance of the NHL season, his net worth at the end of it would be...$34 billion dollars.

It's obscene, it's sickening, and my hope is that the craziness we are experiencing right now will result in some deeper changes in society about how we view each other, how we support each other, and how we care for those with the least among us.

Saint Troy
03-14-2020, 05:42 PM
But it's true, no? I am actually asking

To be honest I’ve seen it more the other way, but there certainly are holdouts.

White Out 403
03-14-2020, 05:42 PM
At the risk of sounding like Bernie Sanders (and maybe having some reading this tune out automatically), *this* list is why society shouldn't have billionaires.

There is something legitimately wrong with people who hoard enough wealth than a person could spend in 1000 lifetimes, let alone a single lifetime. It's sociopathic.

David Thomson from the Jets is Canada's richest person with a net worth of $34 billion.

Someone on Twitter pointed out if he paid all TNSE employees *$50,000* for the balance of the NHL season, his net worth at the end of it would be...$34 billion dollars.

It's obscene, it's sickening, and my hope is that the craziness we are experiencing right now will result in some deeper changes in society about how we view each other, how we support each other, and how we care for those with the least among us.

We need to start talking about stake holders, not share holders. I am so behind this post and yeah, it's just disgusting isn't it? #### sakes TNSE.

Jiri Hrdina
03-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Keith Olbermann just blasted them
They need to reverse the decision and apologize
Like now

Jiri Hrdina
03-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Like now

GirlySports
03-14-2020, 05:53 PM
How can we be worse than Katz. Jeebus.

81MC
03-14-2020, 05:55 PM

This.
$1000/month is make or break for a lot of the people who work these organizations. And as much as I’d like to see ownership step up, I wouldn’t mind seeing the players league wide step up. How many Pros took home well over a million dollars this year, while the concession clerk or security staff make minimum wage.
Harder and harder to cheer for this league in general.

FireGilbert
03-14-2020, 05:58 PM
Damn that’s cold. It’s not like the economy is booming and these workers can pick up hours elsewhere.

The owners and players split the revenue, surely they can split some losses for employees salaries too. It doesn’t even have to be a full wage, just an EI equivalent.

Even if you are a total ####### that doesn’t care about the individual workers at least think of the overall economic impacts from putting people out of work without money to spend.

cam_wmh
03-14-2020, 06:06 PM
keith olbermann just blasted them
they need to reverse the decision and apologize
like now

aaronkarlpatton
03-14-2020, 06:07 PM
Pretty low move, hope people put enough pressure on them to reverse this awful decision.Couldn't agree more

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

chummer
03-14-2020, 06:14 PM
Pay their players millions who don't need it.

Pay their employees nothing who desperately need it.

Eff you Flames.

Saint Troy
03-14-2020, 06:21 PM
How to poison your brand in 24 hours or less, $#@* over your most vulnerable employees in a worldwide epidemic, absolutely stunning greed and incompetence.

Joborule
03-14-2020, 06:23 PM
Like now

More like yesterday.

They are rightfully getting obliterated in the social media, and general media world.

I can't believe they thought that this would be alright, and wouldn't blow up in their face.

If this is how the organization is gonna be post Ken King...oh boy.

I'm definitely less of a Flames fan today, than I was yesterday.

Reggie Dunlop
03-14-2020, 06:26 PM
These folks are the front lines in the "User Experience." Ushers, guards, servers. Fans relate to them. Some long-time employees have developed personal rapport with ticket holders. It's good business to take care of them.

KootenayFlamesFan
03-14-2020, 06:28 PM
#ShameTheFlames is trending on twitter.

Such an easy way to help out employees and get great PR.......and they fumble the ball. Very disappointed.

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 06:33 PM
As predicted this is becoming a really awful story for the Flames. They're becoming the face of greedy corporate maneuvering in the sporting world in the wake of this pandemic.

N-E-B
03-14-2020, 06:37 PM
Not a STH, not sure who to contact but I did voice my displeasure to the organization on Twitter at both their official account and their PR account.

dino7c
03-14-2020, 06:38 PM
Flames should 100% change their stance but why are they taking the brunt of it? I am honestly asking...aren't a bunch of teams in the same boat or are the Flames doing something worse?

dissentowner
03-14-2020, 06:40 PM
Flames should 100% change their stance but why are they taking the brunt of it? I am honestly asking...aren't a bunch of teams in the same boat or are the Flames doing something worse?

Calgary is a big Canadian media market but make no mistake, other teams are getting roasted as well.

Itse
03-14-2020, 06:40 PM
My bosses aren't taking their salaries right now so they could better pay us, their employees. They're not millionaires, they're going to feel it in their personal lives.

I have a ton of respect for them.

I have very little respect for the Flames management right now.

GoFlamesGo
03-14-2020, 06:42 PM
I'm a diehard fan and love the team, but this was a dumb decision and PR nightmare.

I don't know why I'm so triggered by this, but I decided to start a GoFundMe campaign to support CSEC hourly and event employees. Please help share it if you believe they should be compensated.

As a long time Calgary Flames season ticket holder and former Saddledome hourly employee myself, I am very disappointed in Calgary Sports and Entertainment's (CSEC) decision to not pay hourly and event employees for cancelled shifts as a result of the season being paused due to the Coronavirus outbreak.

It is troublesome to see these individuals left in the cold during these difficult times. Lots of teams and players in the NHL and other sports leagues have stepped up to take care of their staff and community. It's the right thing to do. Arena employees are as much a part of our beloved Flames as the players themselves.

Let’s come together as a community and show them that we won’t leave anyone behind.

Please join me in helping raise funds to help our fellow Calgarians through this period of adversity.

100% of the proceeds will be donated to CSEC hourly and part time employees. I have contacts within the Flames organization and will find a fair way to distribute the funds. If the Flames ownership group changes their mind and decides to compensate their employees, all proceeds will be donated to the Flames Foundation, a local charity, or we’ll find a way to still compensate CSEC staff.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tm3y6-employee-fund-for-calgary-sports-amp-entertainment

Monahammer
03-14-2020, 06:42 PM
N. Murray ######bag strikes again

ToraToraTora
03-14-2020, 06:45 PM
I just got a response back from my rep saying that he will pass it on to management. At least they're checking emails at 7 on a Saturday?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Corral
03-14-2020, 06:52 PM
Edwards et al are not losing any sleep over this. They know that just about every person complaining here can hardly wait for the season to resume and will continue spending money on the flames when it does.

Rando
03-14-2020, 06:55 PM
The money given to them to build a new arena is a major reason why. It's still fresh story. Guy like Olberman hears the team was just given 275 million it's an easy story.

Roughneck
03-14-2020, 06:56 PM
I'm a diehard fan and love the team, but this was a dumb decision and PR nightmare.

I don't know why I'm so triggered by this

The whole arena push was from a typical playbook so it wasn't unique to the Flames, but making the big hubbub about how it's 'more than just a business, think of what it means to the community' type PR push and then making what boils down to a cold business decision makes this different than most companies that are also trying to do the minimum they're legally obligated to do.

If CSEC wants to be leaders in the community and their operations being held to a different standard than other businesses in the city, then they had better behave like it. Doing this was not behaving like a 'part of the community' and that's why it has a different taste than say, WestJet, cutting staff.

Bunk
03-14-2020, 06:57 PM
Still no response from the Edwards. To be fair, it is the middle of the night in London.

Barnet Flame
03-14-2020, 06:59 PM
Still no response from the Edwards. To be fair, it is the middle of the night in London.

Where does he live?

I’ll egg his house.

dissentowner
03-14-2020, 07:02 PM
Where does he live?

I’ll egg his house.

Sure can't toilet paper it...

Rando
03-14-2020, 07:03 PM
Sure can't toilet paper it...
He'd love that, he'd probably try to re-sell it.

united
03-14-2020, 07:08 PM

I don't know why I'm so triggered by this, but I decided to start a GoFundMe campaign to support CSEC hourly and event employees. Please help share it if you believe they should be compensated.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tm3y6-employee-fund-for-calgary-sports-amp-entertainment

Just finished watching UFC Brasilia and was slow to get off the couch afterward so caught some of SportsCentre. They showed that some of Brad Marchand's friends started a GoFundMe for TD Gardens staff and a number of Bruins have contributed to it.

Krejci $1,000
McAvoy $1,000
Rask $1,000
Marchand $1,000
Nordstrom $1,000
Pastrnak $1,000

Some good friends started this go fund me page for the TD Garden employees. Please take a look
https://www.gofundme.com/f/bruins-td-garden

EverfresH15
03-14-2020, 07:11 PM
Wow big spenders. They gamble more than that on plane rides.

Flash Walken
03-14-2020, 07:12 PM
#ShameTheFlames is trending on twitter.

Such an easy way to help out employees and get great PR.......and they fumble the ball. Very disappointed.

This is what I realized.

It was so easy to do the right thing and I expected them not to and they didn't disappoint.

What kind of organization am I cheering for?

zamler
03-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Where does he live?

I’ll egg his house.

Good luck finding those I suggest hockey pucks.

djsFlames
03-14-2020, 07:13 PM
My bosses aren't taking their salaries right now so they could better pay us, their employees. They're not millionaires, they're going to feel it in their personal lives.

I have a ton of respect for them.

I have very little respect for the Flames management right now.

That's amazing.

As another posted early on after this news broke, for a boss/owner that does their part to help employees make ends meet, they will absolutely make it back with the inspired effort and good will their employees will put in as a result.

Positive reinforcement and good faith goes a much longer way than many higher ups think. When you make employees feel valued through such actions, they will give you far greater results than someone that believes they are disposable. There is no question.

Its beyond PR. What will be the mindset of future employees knowing how much CSEC would care for them if it came to such a situation? You're just poisoning the reputation of your brand from the inside. I'm sure that's great for a business that wants to run 35+ more years in a new building.

Would be insane to wait much longer to reverse this decision.

CactusJack
03-14-2020, 07:18 PM
I wonder how much they saved from Kenney’s corporate tax cuts and handouts this year???

Reggie Dunlop
03-14-2020, 07:32 PM
Season Ticket holder and former hourly CSEC employee starts a GoFundMe to raise money.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tm3y6-employee-fund-for-calgary-sports-amp-entertainment?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

expo2428
03-14-2020, 07:33 PM
Season Ticket holder and former hourly CSEC employee starts a GoFundMe to raise money.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tm3y6-employee-fund-for-calgary-sports-amp-entertainment?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Yeah the actual guy posted a few above you lol. Shows it is going to work well! I hope everyone donates to show our owners the fans care about the city even if they dont

Reggie Dunlop
03-14-2020, 07:34 PM
Yeah the actual guy posted a few above you lol. Shows it is going to work well! I hope everyone donates to show our owners the fans care about the city even if they dont

Embarrassing, really.

Dion
03-14-2020, 07:53 PM
I'm waiting for someone like Giordano to step up and say he's going to cover the wages of these employees. I believe this is something Mark would do.

chedder
03-14-2020, 07:55 PM
I'm waiting for someone like Giordano to step up and say he's going to cover the wages of these employees. I believe this is something Mark would do.I'm surprised we haven't heard a thing from any of the players. My only guess is that they have been strong armed by the organization to remain silent. I don't want to believe that they just don't care.

Bunk
03-14-2020, 07:56 PM

Tweeted it out (@joshyyc) and it’s already getting some traction

squiggs96
03-14-2020, 07:57 PM

I think he’s also a CP member.

Strange Brew
03-14-2020, 07:58 PM
Gio or any of the players aren’t exactly Lebron James in the earnings department. I’m not looking at them in this at all. And if a guy like Gio does something he may not want to make a show of it.

Flash Walken
03-14-2020, 07:58 PM
I'm waiting for someone like Giordano to step up and say he's going to cover the wages of these employees. I believe this is something Mark would do.

Do the ushers work for Gio?

Dion
03-14-2020, 08:01 PM
Gio or any of the players aren’t exactly Lebron James in the earnings department. I’m not looking at them in this at all. And if a guy like Gio does something he may not want to make a show of it.

Here's a great example

Why aren't the Pelicans helping arena workers while Zion Williamson foots coronavirus bill?

Zion Williamson stepped up on Friday.

Big time.

The New Orleans Pelicans rookie pledged to pay the salaries of all the arena workers at Smoothie King Center for 30 days as the NBA embarks on a hiatus in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Williamson cited his upbringing for his decision, writing on Instagram that his “mother has always set an example for me about being respectful for others and being grateful for what we have.”

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/why-arent-the-pelicans-helping-arena-workers-while-zion-williamson-foots-the-bill-013327212.html

GirlySports
03-14-2020, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure Gio would want to go against his employers on something that isn't his responsibility.

GoFlamesGo
03-14-2020, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the share and support!

This is something you expect Eugene Melnyk to do, not the Flames.

Can't let the stupid Oilers one up us.

Go Flames Staff Go

bagofpucks
03-14-2020, 08:03 PM
Leave it to the flames...no hockey on a Saturday night and they are still disappointing their fans!

Strange Brew
03-14-2020, 08:04 PM
Here's a great example

Why aren't the Pelicans helping arena workers while Zion Williamson foots coronavirus bill?

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/why-arent-the-pelicans-helping-arena-workers-while-zion-williamson-foots-the-bill-013327212.html

Good on Zion. He appears very generous and his brand will only increase in value over this. A lesson the Flames owners should learn.

But I don’t like calling out Gio or any other Flames player. That’s wrong IMO.

Dion
03-14-2020, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure Gio would want to go against his employers on something that isn't his responsibility.

Why not? Would the Flames want to endure further backlash from the fans if they scolded Gio for doing that?

If anything, the embarrassment might force the the hands of ownership to do the right thing.

GirlySports
03-14-2020, 08:08 PM
Why not? Would the Flames want to endure further backlash from the fans if they scolded Gio for doing that?

If anything, the embarrassment might for the the hands of ownership to do the right thing.

That's easy for us to say. Look on the bright side. They are not fired yet like Westjet employees.

Dion
03-14-2020, 08:10 PM
Good on Zion. He appears very generous and his brand will only increase in value over this. A lesson the Flames owners should learn.

I was never suggesting he should do such a thing. It just occurred to me that he would be the type of person who would do such a thing.

Dion
03-14-2020, 08:11 PM
That's easy for us to say. Look on the bright side. They are not fired yet like Westjet employees.

There is no brightside when you lose wages you need to pay the bills and keep a roof over your head.

N-E-B
03-14-2020, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I don’t think the players have to, nor do I think they should be stepping up to pay out of their pockets.

It would be a very nice gesture but it shouldn’t be expected.

zamler
03-14-2020, 08:17 PM
The fact people have to resort to crowd funding boils my blood.

Infinit47
03-14-2020, 08:29 PM
I donated for two reasons. First, to help people in need as I am fortunate and can. Second, in the hopes this blows up and embarrasses the crap out of CSEC and Edwards personally.

Strange Brew
03-14-2020, 08:41 PM
I was never suggesting he should do such a thing. It just occurred to me that he would be the type of person who would do such a thing.

I know you’re not criticizing him, but I just hate the idea of even talking about whether a player should be doing this. Or if he does, that it should somehow be publicized. I firmly believe Gio is incredibly generous but his earning power compared to Zion Williamson’s is night and day and he can’t do anything on the same scale.

keenan87
03-14-2020, 08:58 PM
I know you’re not criticizing him, but I just hate the idea of even talking about whether a player should be doing this. Or if he does, that it should somehow be publicized. I firmly believe Gio is incredibly generous but his earning power compared to Zion Williamson’s is night and day and he can’t do anything on the same scale.

You are right.. how will Giordano feed his family if he gives up $100k out of his 6+ million dollar salary. The man will not be able to survive.

I am not saying he is obligated to help as much as Zion (if at all) but disagree completely that he doesn't have the earning power to help. Him giving 100k is equivalent to an average person making $65k giving $900 dollars ... I believe most of us average joes would gladly contribute $900 if they know its gonna really help hundreds of people not endure great financial stress.

Barca
03-14-2020, 09:03 PM
are the flames and jets are the only Canadian teams left not paying their staff?

Svartsengi
03-14-2020, 09:07 PM
Where does he live?

I’ll egg his house.

I doubt Murray Edwards is home. Too busy selling Lysol and Toilet Paper out of the back of a truck for 10X what he paid for it. Tough economic times and all.

dirk diggler
03-14-2020, 09:12 PM

Love this comment. bang on.

WhiteTiger
03-14-2020, 09:20 PM
I'm curious, and maybe this has been answered somewhere already (there is a LOT of info out there), but the teams that said that they'll top off EI to bring their employees up to their usual standard...doesn't EI start lopping off it's given sums if you bring in any money at all? Couldn't this move end up costing the employees?

the2bears
03-14-2020, 09:26 PM
Very bad look for the Flames organization. I'm really disappointed this is their take.

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 09:32 PM
I was planning on buying another Flames jersey when I managed to find a job after this whole pandemic business winds down. I was thinking one of the white Heritage Classic jerseys with Mangiapane or maybe Ryan on the back.

After this, nope. I'll give North Star Jerseys some business in a couple months customizing a couple jerseys I already own, instead. But I don't think I can justify financially supporting this team any more in the near future, unless they really pull up their socks. I've been to like 25 games this year and I look forward to each one on the calendar so, so much, especially with some of my recent health issues limiting a lot of things I can do. But this is just so low on every level.

The right decision should've been made on this yesterday. I'll keep on cheering for the players but I'm way less of a Flames fan today than I was last week. I'm more of a Gaudreau/Monahan/Mangiapane/Tkachuk/etc fan.

GirlySports
03-14-2020, 09:34 PM
Yeah it's a really bad look. Especially after getting the new arena deal plus raising ticket prices next year.

Scroopy Noopers
03-14-2020, 09:35 PM
I was planning on buying another Flames jersey when I managed to find a job after this whole pandemic business winds down. I was thinking one of the white Heritage Classic jerseys with Mangiapane or maybe Ryan on the back.

After this, nope. I'll give North Star Jerseys some business in a couple months customizing a couple jerseys I already own, instead. But I don't think I can justify financially supporting this team any more in the near future, unless they really pull up their socks. I've been to like 25 games this year and I look forward to each one on the calendar so, so much, especially with some of my recent health issues limiting a lot of things I can do. But this is just so low on every level.

The right decision should've been made on this yesterday. I'll keep on cheering for the players but I'm way less of a Flames fan today than I was last week. I'm more of a Gaudreau/Monahan/Mangiapane/Tkachuk/etc fan.

Not to mention, a CP fan. This community is one of the best features of the Flames.

Ahuch
03-14-2020, 09:35 PM
Taxpayers cover the arena and GoFundMe makes sure their employees can eat, seems like a solid business model for Billionaires :bag:

the2bears
03-14-2020, 09:38 PM

Agreed. It's awesome if a player does this, but it's the responsibility of the owners. They're the employers after all.

Strange Brew
03-14-2020, 09:39 PM
You are right.. how will Giordano feed his family if he gives up $100k out of his 6+ million dollar salary. The man will not be able to survive.

I am not saying he is obligated to help as much as Zion (if at all) but disagree completely that he doesn't have the earning power to help. Him giving 100k is equivalent to an average person making $65k giving $900 dollars ... I believe most of us average joes would gladly contribute $900 if they know its gonna really help hundreds of people not endure great financial stress.

Do you think you’re accurately representing what I said?

Did I say he wouldn’t be able to feed his family?
Did I say he doesn’t have the earning power to help?

Come on now.

How about the Flames owners do what is right and decent so that people like Giordano and others can help in other places, instead of having to pay the Flames employees?

RedHot25
03-14-2020, 09:40 PM
I'm curious, and maybe this has been answered somewhere already (there is a LOT of info out there), but the teams that said that they'll top off EI to bring their employees up to their usual standard...doesn't EI start lopping off it's given sums if you bring in any money at all? Couldn't this move end up costing the employees?

Yes.

"If you work while receiving regular benefits and have served your waiting period, you will be able to keep 50 cents of your EI benefits for every dollar you earn, up to 90 percent of the weekly insurable earnings used to calculate your EI benefit amount. This 90 percent amount is called the earnings threshold".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/while-receiving.html&ved=2ahUKEwjpmZv5xpvoAhVEJTQIHak4CVsQFjABegQIDRAH&usg=AOvVaw3sCfiNbaA82wvV03xRpbMJ

Minnie
03-14-2020, 09:42 PM

Jiri Hrdina
03-14-2020, 10:01 PM
Folks, this was sent to me by an employee of CSEC impacted by this. They wish to remain anonymous. These are their unedited words, not mine, but they wanted to pass this on and I'm happy to do that for them:

"Folks:
Here is the perspective of one of the event day staff at the Saddledome. I've been doing it for a long time, and have been in the event industry for most of my life.
I totally get how mad some of are about the Flames reaction to this situation. I can't say I am suprised by it, both because of how crazy things have been the last few days within the organization and without, but also because of the culture within CESC. It has seemed like the last few years that the individual game day employee is less valued, which might either be a philosophical decision, or just the reality of Calgary in 2020, where you don't have to treat your employees as well as you did during the boom times.

Part time employees at the Dome is a realy wide ranging group, but I can kinda put them in three catagories:

1. Game day staff who have it as a part time gig. I'm one of those folks. It sucks that I don't get to work at the Dome, and it will impact me for certain, but it's not a game changer for me.

2. Game day staff who have it as a main gig: These are the folks who work all the events, Flames, Hitmen, Roughnecks, concerts. A number of these folks are getting a double wammy, as some work for Stampede in similar roles, such as concession worker or security, and the BMO Centre has also gone dark. These are folks who are very vulnerable and who I hope are getting ROEs Monday and can start the EI process. As others have noted, these folks are being hit very hard right now, as March was an incredibly busy month at the Dome, plus BMO, and it's paycheques like these that allow folks to survive through the lean times when events dry up, like May and June.

3. Everyday hourly staff at the Dome. These are the folks who might work 30-40 hours a week almost all; of the year. Security guards who work non event days, prep cooks and warehouse folks in F&B, those sort of folks. Same thing as #2, I hope that they can go on EI right away and recover some of their earnings. This is the group that the Oilers will say they will help, as they will top up EI to what they usually make.

My take on the situation:

It would be great for CESC to help my fellow staffers. As noted, I'm OK, but some fo the folks who wear the same uniform I do are not. In my opinion, CESC should at the least help those folks who work enough to get at least partial benefits. This starts (I believe) at 500 hrs a year, so the staff who are in #2 and #3 of my last post.

Even if they do, it won't make a whole lot of these folks 'whole'. As mentioned, a bunch of them work multiple jobs, with the Dome being a large chunk but not all that they do to keep body and soul together. To that end, don't just worry about the great folks I work with at the Dome, but people in the service industry generally. They will be hurting. If you are well, and can, support them.

As well, I am fortunate enough to get tipped for what I do at the Dome. So even if I get my $60-$75 an event (4-5 hours at min wage), it won't come close to what I come out of the Dome with in a night.

As for what the folks I work with are saying? They are mad, and some of them are really scared. If CESC can do something to help these folks, I think it will go a long way to showing that they care about how their patrons feel, and that they pay more than lip service to what they tell us as staff, that we are an important part of what makes CESC special and unique.

To close, thanks for Jiri for passing this on to the CP community, and thanks to all of you who care about Calgary's sports teams. I've thrilled to have been a tiny part of a lot of exciting moments, and without you being there the teams wouldn't exist and I wouldn't have been able to be there."

Manhattanboy
03-14-2020, 10:04 PM
I strongly suspect they will reverse course on this but still looks bad.

Hockeyguy15
03-14-2020, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the share and support!

This is something you expect Eugene Melnyk to do, not the Flames.

Can't let the stupid Oilers one up us.

Go Flames Staff Go

Lucic donated 5k. Classy guy.

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Either Milan Lucic just donated $5,000 to help out workers or somebody did so in his name.

Either way... awesome. Might be another thing to add to the Lucic fan club.

Jiri Hrdina
03-14-2020, 10:05 PM

Looks like the Gio family in for 5k too

SportsJunky
03-14-2020, 10:07 PM
Take that Brad Marchand

Flash Walken
03-14-2020, 10:13 PM
Has KD Lang said anything about this?

Two Fivenagame
03-14-2020, 10:14 PM
Bobrovsky tossed 100k to arena staff in Florida!

stang
03-14-2020, 10:15 PM

That’s always my first reaction to big news as well. What’s KD Lang think?

Southside
03-14-2020, 10:17 PM
Zack Rinaldo for $2,000. Well done.

Flash Walken
That’s always my first reaction to big news as well. What’s KD Lang think?

She's been filling in for Murray in some capacities lately.

Thought there might some kind of statement.

Luder

https://media1.giphy.com/media/fMAIvokTx2ijJy67gC/giphy.gif

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 10:19 PM
Rinaldo isn't my favourite player by any means but he's one of my favourite guys to have around on the team. I get the impression that he's very intelligent and a great teammate. And I love that he's donating to this even though he shouldn't have to.

I'd re-sign him.

stang
03-14-2020, 10:20 PM
She's been filling in for Murray in some capacities lately.

Thought there might some kind of statement.

I was just making a joke. :D

Nice to see the Flames players stepping up.

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 10:20 PM
Rinaldo has tweeted out the GoFundMe

_Q_
03-14-2020, 10:22 PM
The professionalism of AHS in handling the coronavirus outbreak makes me incredibly proud to be Albertan. The way the Calgary Flames are handling it, however, makes me embarrassed to be associated with them.

This makes me re-think my fandom.

dissentowner
03-14-2020, 10:29 PM
So amazing to see players stepping up to donate to the GoFundMe! Great job!

Dion
03-14-2020, 10:32 PM
Lucic for Premier!

Rando
03-14-2020, 10:33 PM
And has anyone heard from Ja Rule? Can somebody pleas find Ja Rule so I can make sense of this?

getbak
03-14-2020, 10:33 PM
I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt on this, but the longer it drags on, the harder it is to do. There are a lot of moving pieces in this whole thing, so I don't have a problem with taking their time to get the response right, but there needs to be a response.

There's no way they can avoid putting together a response plan and the longer they let it go before announcing something, the more it looks like they were shamed into it.

Really, all they needed to do was put out an announcement like the Coyotes did this afternoon...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETGLqMCU4AAm0s1?format=jpg&name=small

... It doesn't really say anything, but at least lets people know you're doing something and buys you time to work out the details.

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 10:34 PM
Lucic for Premier!

I'd vote for him.

Honestly he's so easy to like, hope the org keeps him around after he retires a la McGrattan.

Edit! TJ Brodie has donated $5000!

Wormius
03-14-2020, 10:36 PM
I have a couple of questions before I get outraged.

1) Will the staff be paid essentially twice for postponed games?
2) Are the staff eligible for anything from govt, like EI or something?
3) How much does it cost the Flames per game for these staffing costs? If its not a huge amount, they should just pay them and avoid the bad PR.

Reggie Dunlop
03-14-2020, 10:37 PM
$5000 from Amber Brodie

standinmotion
03-14-2020, 10:38 PM
When the games resume, let's put up signs to shame the owners and cheer the players who have donated.

Southside
03-14-2020, 10:41 PM
Sam Bennett for $5 000. Well done guys.

Scornfire
03-14-2020, 10:42 PM
Sam Bennett 5k

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 10:43 PM
Guys who I'm cheering extra loud for so far:

- Looooooooooch!
- Giooooooooooo!
- Zaaaaaaaaaaac!
- Bennyyyyyyyyy!
- Brooooooooodie!

I love this. It shouldn't have to happen but I'm so glad to be able to cheer for these guys.

Bunk
03-14-2020, 10:44 PM
It’s obvious the players are all talking to one another about this. If all donate $5000 it’ll get over $100k!

Bunk
03-14-2020, 10:44 PM
It’s obvious the players are all talking to one another about this. If all donate $5000 it’ll get over $100k!

Scornfire
03-14-2020, 10:47 PM
The most annoying part is the Owners will basically get off scott free as the players step up in their absence, hard to support the boys and not support the stupid franchise. Sick of this ####ing organization, when that new arena goes up I'd vote we just show up en masse and claim it for ourselves. Paid for half the bloody thing anyway

Dion
03-14-2020, 10:48 PM

Bunk
03-14-2020, 10:49 PM
The most annoying part is the Owners will basically get off scott free as the players step up in their absence, hard to support the boys and not support the stupid franchise. Sick of this ####ing organization, when that new arena goes up I'd vote we just show up en masse and claim it for ourselves. Paid for half the bloody thing anyway

The fact that this is even there, and their own players are stepping in (similar to the Zion situation) should embarrass the owners. That’s the public effect on sentiment toward them, anyway. Surely reputation is important too, not just money.

PaperBagger'14
03-14-2020, 10:49 PM
I'd personally be OK with seeing a Lucic vs Notley vs Kenney deathmatch. 2 of the opponents would be too busy bitching about each other while the 3rd cleaned house

dissentowner
03-14-2020, 10:50 PM

I would bet good money the organization will eventually say something to the effect they will match the GoFundMe donation total.

Reggie Dunlop
03-14-2020, 10:53 PM
The players are all still in town, sitting around with little to do I guess.

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 10:55 PM
The players are all still in town, sitting around with little to do I guess.

And they're still getting paid.

GoFlamesGo
03-14-2020, 10:57 PM
WOW!

Thanks to your support, this thing is really taking off. Lots of Flames players have made very generous donations.

This is why I LOVE this team and players!

The fans and players have spoken and are doing their part. Time for CSEC to do what lots of other teams and players have done and compensate their part time employees.

iggy_oi
03-14-2020, 10:59 PM
When the games resume, let's put up signs

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9yUDMebQ8ks/Tv8YQihI0nI/AAAAAAAAAHY/aN4Jh2vMV5A/s1600/NormaRae.jpg

iggy_oi
03-14-2020, 11:04 PM
It’s nice to read so many posters supporting the employees and voicing their opinions directly to CSEC. What an embarrassment for the Flames ownership to not step up and do the right thing here.

TheSutterDynasty
03-14-2020, 11:06 PM
Don't get me wrong - the players shouldn't have to be doing this and it's admirable that they are.

But $5k is approximately $50-$70 for us regular wagers. Not exactly putting themselves out there.

dammage79
03-14-2020, 11:08 PM
Don't get me wrong - the players shouldn't have to be doing this and it's admirable that they are.

But $5k is approximately $50-$70 for us regular wagers. Not exactly putting themselves out there.

Its still more than anyone else can give. Honestly I dont care if the players do or not but to downplay their efforts is pretty petty on your part.

ForeverFlameFan
03-14-2020, 11:09 PM

It's better than nothing.

TheScorpion
03-14-2020, 11:11 PM
The players shouldn't be obligated to do anything. This isn't their job.

I have the utmost respect for them chipping in. Especially guys like Brodie, a pending UFA, and Rinaldo, another pending UFA who makes the league minimum. With the uncertainty surrounding this season and their contracts, there's a non-zero chance neither of them will ever play for the Flames again.

Southside
03-14-2020, 11:12 PM
Its still more than anyone else can give. Honestly I dont care if the players do or not but to downplay their efforts is pretty petty on your part.

Agreed. We have all been waiting for the organization to show some compassion for their own. Now some within are, let's not tell them it isnt enough.

AustinL_NHL
03-14-2020, 11:13 PM

It's also not their job to take care of their ownerships employees.

They shouldn't have to be donating anything (nor should anyone) but because of the pathetic ownership, it's come to this so their contributions are putting themselves out there in the sense they're sending a message to higher ups.

ComixZone
03-14-2020, 11:15 PM
I think it’s also more about the players taking the lead and showing the organization what they should be doing.

CSEC is embarrassing themselves, and damaging relationships with the community they talk about so much about

N-E-B
03-14-2020, 11:36 PM
I said earlier in this thread that players shouldn’t be expected to pay for this, and I stand by that.

But man this just shows what awesome people we have on our team. For those of you who are miffed at the ownership, I totally understand. But I think it’s nice to see we have some truly awesome players and those people definitely deserve our support.

Murray Edwards and the rest of the owners can get bent, but the players are ultimately why I am and always will be a fan of the team.

GirlySports
03-14-2020, 11:45 PM
I wish I could email Ken King. :(
I think he would personally be outraged.

Rando
03-14-2020, 11:57 PM
I wish I could email Ken King. :(
I think he would personally be outraged.

We really need to stop bringing Ken King into this. May the man rest in peace because it's tough to post that no he probably wouldn't have done a darn thing about it.

cam_wmh
03-15-2020, 12:08 AM

His earnings to donation, is one of the best out there.
How much of his season was even in the NHL?
1/2?

Keep this guy. That's ####ing character.

Torture
03-15-2020, 12:10 AM
Pretty sad that there's a gofundme for an organization run by billionaires.

Hopefully they decide to do the right thing and this money can go to the food bank or some other organization that really needs it.

Strange Brew
03-15-2020, 12:12 AM

Hopefully they can decide to do the right thing and this money can go to the food bank or some other organization that really needs it.

This. Wonder what these players think about playing for the organization right now?

Reggie Dunlop
03-15-2020, 12:15 AM
His earnings to donation, is one of the best out there.
How much of his season was even in the NHL?
1/2?

Keep this guy. That's ####ing character.

$225,000 Minimum guaranteed salary. $700,000 in the show, $175,00 minors.

Snuffleupagus
03-15-2020, 12:17 AM

Hopefully they can decide to do the right thing and this money can go to the food bank or some other organization that really needs it.
I hope China donates a few bucks

cam_wmh
03-15-2020, 12:29 AM
$225,000 Minimum guaranteed salary. $700,000 in the show, $175,00 minors.

Capfriendly, has him @ $436,559

I used to think he was a donkey, boy was I wrong.

zamler
03-15-2020, 12:36 AM
I don't think I can support the Flames organization anymore. Even if they cave to public pressure the fact it has gotten this far....not sure I can come back from that.

Looch City
03-15-2020, 12:47 AM
Ask them to pay up or cancel the arena deal.

btimbit
03-15-2020, 01:04 AM
Never been a secret that the Flames are chock full of some amazing people.

That just doesn't extend all the way to the top sadly

Love
03-15-2020, 01:06 AM
this is inhumane.

Trojan97
03-15-2020, 01:20 AM
My mind keeps drifting back to Mr. Hotchkiss on a day like today. The ownership group has completely lost their way without him and it's so sad to see. It was a nice surprise to see the players step up the way they have this evening and we should all be incredibly proud of their actions. That sense of community that Harley always worked to instill between team and city may be officially dead between the fans & this ownership group after this disgusting decision today but we need to rise up as fans and show the players how much we appreciate their actions on a human level, who really gives a #### about the on-ice stuff at this point.

Manhattanboy
03-15-2020, 01:40 AM
Alright let’s calm down a little here. This talk of cancelling the arena deal is silly.

The owners are some of the most charitable citizens of the City and their good work through the Flames Foundation and other philanthropic endeavours (such as the Libin Cardiovascular Institute) in which they have personally contributed millions has been of tremendous benefit to the community.

I have emailed my account manager and trust that the Flames will do they right thing.

KPat99
03-15-2020, 01:48 AM
Alright let’s calm down a little here. This talk of cancelling the arena deal is silly.

The owners are some of the most charitable citizens of the City and their good work through the Flames Foundation and other philanthropic endeavours (such as the Libin Cardiovascular Institute) in which they have personally contributed millions has been of tremendous benefit to the community.

I have emailed my account manager and trust that the Flames will do they right thing.

I have always been of the mind that true charity is difficult. Billionaires giving a few million that can be used as tax write offs is admirable, no doubt, but to me not the same as shirt off your back type stuff. If you know what I mean.

Manhattanboy
03-15-2020, 02:04 AM
I have always been of the mind that true charity is difficult. Billionaires giving a few million that can be used as tax write offs is admirable, no doubt, but to me not the same as shirt off your back type stuff. If you know what I mean.

At this point I’m giving some of them the benefit of the doubt.

Mr Libin is close to 90. He has lost his eyesight and hearing. He has a special monitor built in to his seat in the owners box so he can watch the games. He wears headphones to hear the play by play.

I know him personally. Hell I bet he was not even consulted about this decision and has no idea of the extent of the social media backlash this evening.

I know he will want answers and demand the decision be reversed.

djsFlames
03-15-2020, 02:14 AM

Looks like the Gio family in for 5k too

Edit! TJ Brodie has donated $5000!

$5000 from Amber Brodie

Sam Bennett for $5 000. Well done guys.

<3 Yes. There's my team.

So glad tonight didn't end off without a response from someone who dons the flaming C.

Barnet Flame
03-15-2020, 02:15 AM

Gio just donated $5k to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djsFlames
03-15-2020, 02:20 AM
Monahan also donated 4k

united
03-15-2020, 02:42 AM
My mind keeps drifting back to Mr. Hotchkiss on a day like today. The ownership group has completely lost their way without him and it's so sad to see. It was a nice surprise to see the players step up the way they have this evening and we should all be incredibly proud of their actions. That sense of community that Harley always worked to instill between team and city may be officially dead between the fans & this ownership group after this disgusting decision today but we need to rise up as fans and show the players how much we appreciate their actions on a human level, who really gives a #### about the on-ice stuff at this point.

At this point I’m giving some of them the benefit of the doubt.

Mr Libin is close to 90. He has lost his eyesight and hearing. He has a special monitor built in to his seat in the owners box so he can watch the games. He wears headphones to hear the play by play.

I know him personally. Hell I bet he was not even consulted about this decision and has no idea of the extent of the social media backlash this evening.

I know he will want answers and demand the decision be reversed.

Both correct. From what I've heard, no coincidence there was a notable shift in direction of the Flames with the passing of Mr. Hotchkiss, and Mr. Libin and Mr. Markin taking a step back as their age gets up there.

Aarongavey
03-15-2020, 06:02 AM
At this rate I am expecting KD Lang to step up and provide for Murray's responsibilities to the employees before Murray does.

NiklasSundblad
03-15-2020, 07:24 AM
Once again this team is hoping Zac Rinaldo and Milan Lucic step up in ways they definitely shouldn't have to.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Finger Cookin
03-15-2020, 07:44 AM
Is anyone else writing any other businesses or corporations asking them to keep their hourly employees pay whole during this?

Passe La Puck
03-15-2020, 08:17 AM
Is anyone else writing any other businesses or corporations asking them to keep their hourly employees pay whole during this?

Yes, see Tim Hortons for example. Also many business are doing the right thing without pressure, see Walmart, McDonald's, and many others.

None of those business are asking for massive public handouts in part because "they do so much for the community".

Hangman
03-15-2020, 08:18 AM
I don’t know if this has been posted already if so mods please delete.

City councillor Jeff Davison is urging ownership to step up and do the right thing.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/do-the-right-thing-calgary-councillor-calls-on-flames-to-reverse-decision-not-to-pay-hourly-workers-1.4853294

philip1985
03-15-2020, 08:37 AM
I am glad to see CP and others show these owners what the true meaning of community is. This ownership group is all talk and no substance.

As a season ticket holder we have voiced our opinion to our rep and incredibly disappointed in their actions. Our family has contemplated the last few years of not renewing tickets and this will be the last straw.

As others have mentioned I am incredibly proud of the players on this team but how can this ownership group look us in the eye and say we support the community when in the time of need they turn their back. Yes, they may reverse their decision but the damage is done. I have always cheered for the Flames but I have lost a lot of respect for this organization.

I am glad this wasn’t swept under the rug. Embarrassing for the ownership group!

End of rant.

Cecil Terwilliger
03-15-2020, 08:42 AM

I’d be happy to spread my hatred around if you want to point them out to me.

Finger Cookin
03-15-2020, 08:46 AM
I haven't dug into it myself, but I'd imagine that businesses who are covering hourly employees for this and those who aren't are probably split similarly to the NHL teams, nearly 50/50.

Hopefully things get announced this week that will encourage the rest of the businesses to step up and do the right thing.

J79
03-15-2020, 08:49 AM
The PR damage is so much greater than the sum of money that the owners could have paid to the staff.

I'm a die hard fan and I support the Flames, even if I have a different opinion about certain matters.
However, this is a step too far. They have crossed a line.
Nice to see that the players are willing to make a financial contribution.

(there has never been so much harmony amongst CP members in a >12 page thread though, so that's a good thing I guess)

Joborule
03-15-2020, 08:49 AM
Still no response yet?

Each passing hour, I'm disliking this ownership group more and more.

The damage that they've done to their brand already is gonna be hard to come back from. We like to make fun of the Oilers and Senators owners and organization here, but with how this organization has been in general of the year, and this fiasco that has unfolded, the Flames owners aren't that much better.

Flames are a joke.

Boblobla
03-15-2020, 08:50 AM
I haven't dug into it myself, but I'd imagine that businesses who are covering hourly employees for this and those who aren't are probably split similarly to the NHL teams, nearly 50/50.

Hopefully things get announced this week that will encourage the rest of the businesses to step up and do the right thing.Have these other hypothetical businesses also threatened to leave the city unless they received hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer funds?

direwolf
03-15-2020, 08:51 AM

I work in tourism here in Vancouver (hourly employee), and my team and I have collectively expressed our concerns to management. We work mostly outdoors, so we're less at risk than people who work in offices, etc.. But it's inevitable that we'll have to shut down at some point due to a drop in guests and travel restrictions being implemented around the world, especially in the U.S.

We haven't heard anything concrete yet regarding wages, but hopefully they'll step up and protect us once it comes to that.

ST20
03-15-2020, 08:53 AM
It looks like the Giordano family is up to 10K between Mark and Lauren. CSEC is embarrassing...

Southside
03-15-2020, 08:55 AM
Who handles PR for the Flames? Hanlon and Kelso? This has to be getting to them.

Mr.Coffee
03-15-2020, 09:00 AM
Cool that Monahan is in but the amount is hilarious.

Bunk
Who handles PR for the Flames? Hanlon and Kelso? This has to be getting to them.

My guess is internally they are desperately trying to get owners to change tact and either it is slow or they are digging in. In the mean time, silence. Tough scene.

Cecil Terwilliger

https://flamesmedia.ca/index.php/contact/

Peter Hanlon, Vice President, Communications
phanlon@calgaryflames.com (403)777-3684

Sean Kelso, Director, Media Relations
skelso@calgaryflames.com (403)777-1387

Based on their email formats, should be easy to reverse engineer others if one was so inclined and they use the same format.

Chairman
MEdwards@calgaryflames.com
Not a valid email. The rest work tho.

President & Chief Executive Officer: John Bean
JBean@calgaryflames.com

Bunk

Gio cap

keenan87
03-15-2020, 09:03 AM

Yeah, but still good on him for giving. I am curious to know what the highest paid player is giving as well as Gaudreau. The two Americans who some may say aren't too connected with this city.

saXon
03-15-2020, 09:05 AM
When the games resume, let's put up signs to shame the owners and cheer the players who have donated.

Pay them more money for their product, and shame them with signs made from dollar store supplies...

That’ll show those pesky deep pocketed billionaire owners.

keenan87
03-15-2020, 09:08 AM
A lot of people are no longer renewing their season tickets or don't want to spend another dime on tickets. Is there a way to keep track of this similar to a petition? That may get some notice especially if people follow through.

Make it viral.. I am just not sure how.

ST20
03-15-2020, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but still good on him for giving. I am curious to know what the highest paid player is giving as well as Gaudreau. The two Americans who some may say aren't too connected with this city.

It'd be nice if they donated but this shouldn't have fallen on the players.

Edit: and the community who are already paying for the arena

3thirty
03-15-2020, 09:18 AM
The players are also getting paid their full wage to sit at home. While they shouldn't have to donate, it's the least they can do for a lot of people they interact with on a daily basis.

Cecil Terwilliger
03-15-2020, 09:21 AM
A lot of people are no longer renewing their season tickets or don't want to spend another dime on tickets. Is there a way to keep track of this similar to a petition? That may get some notice especially if people follow through.

Make it viral.. I am just not sure how.

It’s trending on social media. Not much more you can do other than emailing/tweeting media and the team.

Also bring the owners businesses into it. Not sure about the others but Murray Edwards has business ties to plenty of corps including CNLR.

Shame these companies. They no doubt will benefit greatly from the billions in stimulus packages the governments have and will green light. And I’m sure they’ll take their extra bonuses while they’re at it.

But god forbid the owners like cheapskate and former albertan Murray Edwards actually have to treat their low level employees like humans.

Rejean31
03-15-2020, 09:22 AM
Murray Edwards and the rest of the Flames ownership group should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. They are coming across as the most petty ownership group in the NHL. Harley Hotchkiss would be turning over in his grave.

Samonadreau
03-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Murray Edwards and the rest of the Flames ownership group should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. They are coming across as the most petty ownership group in the NHL. Harley Hotchkiss would be turning over in his grave.

Melnyk has this locked down.

Aarongavey
03-15-2020, 09:35 AM
The players are also getting paid their full wage to sit at home. While they shouldn't have to donate, it's the least they can do for a lot of people they interact with on a daily basis.

If the owners ever actually come around 50% of their contribution will be coming out of the players pockets anyway, so the players will definitely contribute more than the owners. Typical.

Wormius
03-15-2020, 09:38 AM

I am assuming they will have to play those games eventually though so they won’t be paid twice. I suppose it’s like a question of pay people now for shifts they will work later and then pay them again when they do work the shift?

While the Flames can probably absorb that amount, what does it mean for businesses that can’t? I think the government should have something set up like they did during the floods to help out people that have been inconvenienced by this.

Finger Cookin
03-15-2020, 09:43 AM
Have these other hypothetical businesses also threatened to leave the city unless they received hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer funds?
Hypothetically? 100% yes. But we could probably bitch and moan about the arena deal in another thread.